43 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 11:27 AM by Fire_bear RSS

How many play styles are there?

Fire_bear

Here are the play styles I know of let me know if I'm missing anything and for extra credit what play style do you use and why?

Camping: You're who everyone loves to hate. Staying in a spot with a view of heavily trafficked areas to pick off kills

Corner Camping/ Sound Wh**ing: A variation of camping where you find a corner of a random room and listen for footsteps to alert you which direction to spray with bullets

Patrolling: Sticking to one area of the map and wait for your victims to come to you

Rushing/Run N' Gun: No one on the map is safe.  Like a ghost story gone wrong you visit all the best camping areas leaving death in your wake.

Tubing: Usually used with Patrolling or Rushing, but with explosives.  Close only counts with horseshoes, grenades, C4, launchers... etc

• Re: How many play styles are there?
    TheBeastlyDude

Swarming. You play with a team and go area to area clearing out the enemy.

Alky6

Fire_bear wrote:

Camping: You're who everyone loves to hate. Staying in a spot with a view of heavily trafficked areas to pick off kills

Camping by your definition is impossible. As soon as you make a kill, the guy you killed will be coming to pay you a visit thanx to the killcam.  In hardcore, I don't know how they do it without the killcam, but the same thing applies. You get to see a blink of a scene where the bullet came from and that's all.

The moral of the story is, you can't stay in one spot to get kills. 

TheBeastlyDude

And if the camper can sit in one spot and get kills, then their enemy really sucks at the game.

And Alky6, the way they find them in Hardcore  w/o a killcam is that the spots most campers use are the same spots most campers use so it's fairly simple to take the wild guess, go back and blast them away like the scum they are.

Im_Old_School

Sniping.  Setup....wait...shoot...wait....shoot....wait....shoot....wait....move....repea t.  The shoot number is preferential.  If I can I will take at least 3 shots from a spot before moving.  Sometimes I don't have that luxury!

I call it "Campin' for the Cause!"  There are other opinions about this of course...some good, some not so good.  I mean REALLY not so good!!

the community has developed the term "playstyle" to validate the way they chose to play.. there is only one way to play, and thats move around and kill people, that is what the game is meant to be played.

the community has developed "play styles" to validate they play the game off of its intended purpose.. players will camp and say " its my play style".. its not.. sitting in an arbitrary corner with your sights up is not a style.. its a player feeling because they paid "money" they can attach self entitlement to  a "play style" known as camping , feeding into their lack of being able to handle confrontation.. they give it a name and call it legit.

Run and gun IMO is not a play style, its playing the game.. paroling is playing the game.. things like tubing is a play style if that how you like to run and gun, or QS, or use a shottie or certain attachments, thats a play style

ie. I patrol with a mtarx

Alky6

W_E_A_P_0_N_11 wrote:

there is only one way to play, and thats move around and kill people, that is what the game is meant to be played.

What developer told you that?

Bubbakush

None seeing as there is no right and wrong way to play the game besides modding, hacking or boosting those are the only things not aloud other wise you can play however you want and no one can say it's right or wrong

Alky6

Bubbakush wrote:

None seeing as there is no right and wrong way to play the game besides modding, hacking or boosting those are the only things not aloud other wise you can play however you want and no one can say it's right or wrong

Yup, that's my point. Those that come to the forums demanding everyone must play their way are just wasting 0's & 1's. 

xHITIMEZx

I understand where your coming from weapon but in OBJ gamemodes my squad usually have some short of strategy/playstyle to make sure we get the win at the end of the match so we def have to switch up our STRATEGY if you don't like the word playstyle. And this many can argue the fact that all ganemode has an objective I.e. TD get 7500 points is an objective or get the kills needed to win. But OBJ gamemodes I'm referring to are the ones you have to cap defend or plant modes and those you def need some sort of strategy to win against squads of quality players. Hope this are intersting points/facts. Have a good day!

BWin21

This is a joke, right?

I personally play a patrol/ run and gun style of play but who are you (or anyone else) to downplay and discredit someone else's play style? If the game was only meant to be played a certain way as you say, then the other ways people play would be impossible to do.

There is a reason games like Capture the Flag, Domination, and Search & Destroy have "defense" type strategies for their game modes.

And yes, people have do a right to play however they choose because they paid for the game. Just because someone else's style is counter-intuitive to how you like to play doesn't make it any less viable. If you don't like how others play a multi-player online game, then stick to single player where only one play style matters - yours.

matuzz

Too many to list.

rewbi

I'm almost nearly certain that in hard-core when you die you get a split second glimpse of your killers direction

I play hc alot and often glimpse a diff direction to were am facing

Yaa-seen

My playstyle: Using the whole map, moving all the time, but not running around headlessly. It's not patrolling and it's not rushing. It certainly isn't camping.

It's a playstyle that I have developed through experience, learning the spawns, learning the spots people like to go to, using cover, using unpredictable routes, knowing who to engage, when to engage and picking the right gun-fights. It's a playstyle that uses my brain/thought as opposed to twitch reflexes. I cannot rely on my reflexes (they're not bad) or connection - so I try to take them out of the equation by placing myself in the best position for any gun-fight I enter into. It's also a playstyle that is adaptive - if I need to back-pack n00bs I can play defensively, if I'm playing good players these qualities will serve me well, and if I'm playing n00bs I will be at considerable advantage when playing aggressively.

I don't have a name for it, Its simply experience - and it serves me well - I have a 3.6+ KD, a 2.0+ W/L, numerous KEM's, for example a TDM kill average of 19+ IIRC. So it's effective and I'm a 100% solo player who has never backed out of a lobby and I mention that, because I am proud that I stick around regardless of who I might be playing with or against. If I went negative by 9000, I would still have a comfortable 3.0KD, so having an evening of bad games in a strong lobby does not bother me - I enjoy playing the strong players, like I do sticking it 50-6 against noobs in a 6v6 TDM - which is why I will hang around in any lobby.

skiteton

Currently, may "play style" is:  Spawn, get killed.  Spawn, get killed.  Spawn, get killed.  Ad nauseam.

Kothar44

spawn trappers/killers

milo-iq

Boosters/boosting

MysteriousDeeds

I like to control particular areas on the map. I've learned that many players have "comfort zones/areas" on maps. Areas where they feel most comfortable executing whatever play style they choose to use. My goal is to take them out of there comfort zone/area. Patrol to and area, control the area, and move on to the next comfort zone/area.

Izjar11

there is one style: the one that wins.

sennalike

The 'my way or the highway' playstyle. This is everybodies playstyle, based on what I read here. It basically encompasses all the possible playstyles. People seem to hold the belief that their playstyle is the one and only 'correct' playstyle.

I'm not excluded from the above. I am an adaptor. I will run 'n' gun, I will patrol, I will snipe, and I will camp. Occasionally I do all of these in one match. It all depends on the variables: my mood, my form, my team mates, the enemy, my connection, and any personal goal I may have given myself for the match. Oh, I. almost forgot, very occasionally I will just be a complete arse in a match, ignore the objective, not help my team, frustrate the enemy and generally just not give a damn.

milo-iq

There's also martyr ! When with my clan or friends I just run n gun trying to find campers, I'm not a headless chicken and use cover but beat the grass so to speak let them give away there position so ME mates can take em. Not a good tactic for havin a good KD but who cares it's fun especially when you get 4 kills on the trot never managed 5 but then I spam too much

955i-rider

Running - shooting

Creeping - shooting

Standing - shooting

Crouching - shooting

Prone - shooting

Add in various whizz/bang noises and announcements of 'ENEMY (INSERT HERE) INCOMING and that's it in a nutshell.

Hope that helps

olliwood04

Good ol quickscopers! 

xHITIMEZx

lol I dont know if its a play style but I would call it LOST. I myself dont play like\use this. The closest playstyle to this Is that I occasionally use is a ROGUE- solo rush and kill as many as I can before I die(fyi normal a S&D or S&R player) alright back on track to your question and elaborate on this lost playstyle. You can say its camping but I don't know camping for what. In the most random corner ever more then likely couple meters from spawn point. Neither are you trying to get kills or defend an objective. I hope I'm not the over one that seen or experienced a player using this style

ghamorra

Everyone has their own playstyle. Some people mix them up and rush around until they find a spot to camp. You can't really sum them up. There's two main styles; camping and rushing. Everything is just some various combination or the two.

xqdogx

It depends on the map and objective. Like in Kill Confirm, if you're loosing, it's no good to camp or snip cuz you need tags. If it's a tiny map like Strikezone then it's better rushing than camping.

What about spawn trapping? that is another play style clans use too.

ghamorra

xqdogx wrote:

It depends on the map and objective. Like in Kill Confirm, if you're loosing, it's no good to camp or snip cuz you need tags. If it's a tiny map like Strikezone then it's better rushing than camping.

I disagree. If you're losing it's not always best to try and play hero and make so crazy comeback. It might work 1 out of 100 times but that's no reason to run around like a mad man and try to stage a 30 tag comeback. It'll just get you killed more and you're team will lose quicker.

Small maps are great for camping. Strikezone is my favorite map to camp for the very reason you suggest. Players automatically think that small maps allow you to play faster which means I can camp harder and still be more productive.

toljazn

I play all playstyles camping isn't always a bad thing if you are playing objective as long as you aren't constantly camping...i might run around kill a few people...find a good spot and pick some people off then move around some more...i play it as if this were really happening...you would have to be ******* to stupid to just run ape **** in a real battlefield...you have to think strategy wise

h1r0l3r

As far as playstyles go, each game mode requires the use of specific ones in order to win. The only one true way to play this game is to WIN. Period. But instead of winning, the only stat some/most people care about is K/D. Why? So they can go into a lobby, look at the lobby leaderboard and then talk **** about how your K/D is garbage. If they eliminated K/D stats in this game, I think people would be more open to playing the objective as opposed to maintaining their precious K/D ratio. Then again, most people have become so accustomed to camping for their K/D that it's the only way the know how to play.

I play the objective as much as possible in every game mode I play in. In SnD, I try to plant the bomb. In Dom, I try to take/defend flags. In KC, I pick up tags. In TDM, I try to get kills. How you play to accomplish each of those objectives is up to you really. But what I see SOOOO much these days, especially in Ghosts, is people camping, not playing the objective and going 20-5 but losing the match. I've seen people with high K/D's over 3+ but truly pathetic W/L ratios and other people with 0.80 K/Ds with pretty high W/L ratios. If people wanna camp, let 'em. I'd say about 90% of them never go positive and only a few people know how to do it effectively. Most people assume that setting up shop in a corner on the map is the way to play and it may work for a time but, eventually, you're going to die which will deep six your K/D. This whole camping vs run-n-gun debate is a complete waste IMO.

I play for the win. It's just a game afterall. If you think your K/D is somehow going to impress employers/friends then you lead a pretty sad/pathetic life IMO.

callodoodygame

two styles

camping and moving

h1r0l3r
    Perhaps W/L ratio can be the new K/D ratio? K/D is an unbalanced stat to begin with anyways but how good you are at winning should be more important. I'm sure people will dashboard to maintain their 500+ game winning streaks but at least I won't have to hear some squeaker or no life teenager brag about how their K/D is better than mine. Mute all is probably the best feature in COD.
    Fire_bear

So this is what I’ve learned from this thread. The term playstyle is wrongly applied here.  What these actually are are tactics that can be combined to be used when appropriate. On top of that there are individual tactics and team tactics.  Here’s the list so:

(feel free to give better definitions or list tactics that aren’t here)

Individual tactics

Corner Camping/ Sound Wh**ing: A variation of camping where you find a corner of a random room and listen for footsteps to alert you which direction to spray with bullets

Drop Shot: Dropping to the floor in a gunfight

Jump shot: Jumping in the air while you get your shot off

Patrolling: Sticking to one area of the map and wait for your victims to come to you

Rushing/Run N' Gun: No one on the map is safe.  Like a ghost story gone wrong you visit all the best camping areas leaving death in your wake.

Tubing: Usually used with Patrolling or Rushing, but with explosives.  Close only counts with horseshoes, grenades, C4, launchers... etc

Sniping: Setup....wait...shoot...wait....shoot....wait....shoot....wait....move....repeat (Thanks @Im_Old_School)

Strafing: Moving side to side in a gunfight

Quick Scoping: Another hated tactic.  With a sniper rifle and the aid of aim assist, pulling off a shot/kill before the animation to aim can be completed.  (Thanks olliwood04

Team Tactics

Swarming/WolfPack: You play with a team and go area to area clearing out the enemy.  (Thanks @TheBestlyDude & @KurtK24)

Spawn trappers/killers: When a team covers the enemy’s spawn points and kill as people are spawning. (Thanks @Kothar44)

Boosters/boosting: This is an illegal tactic and doesn’t get a definition (if you use this you will get reported)

Martyr/ Bait: When a teammate willingly or unwillingly sacrifices their life to find out where the enemy is camping (Thanks @milo-iq)