46 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 2:11 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps

xXxkingfatalxXx

I would like to see some maps like the good old days of infinity ward you know pre MW2 days. Everything after that has gone downhill. I would like to see maps like wet work, shipment, and vacant. From when playing the game was fun without the clan war campetitions

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    trialstardragon

    No, no need or want of 3arc cluster fudge maps where rushers always try and flip the spawns every 2.5 seconds like noobtown or hijacked.

     

    No need or desire for rust or shipment to come back either.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    Vulcan Hades

    Aside from a few like Whiteout and Stonehaven Castle they all feel pretty small to me.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    DZTROY3R

    small maps suck. if you want copy paste maps and every gunfight being about who's internet is better when i turn this corner then go play treyarch's game.

    • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
      myevo8you

      DZTROY3R wrote:

       

      small maps suck. if you want copy paste maps and every gunfight being about who's internet is better when i turn this corner then go play treyarch's game.

      And that is why Ghosts only has around 100,000 players online at any given time. MOST players have gone back to previous games.

       

      The majority cannot be wrong. Considering the average for COD Ghosts is around 450,000 players online across Xbox 360, Xbox One, Ps3, Ps4, and Wii U, when the previous games were out there were that many alone on JUST THE XBOX 360!

      • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
        AlteredVista

        No Ghosts population numbers are because of sales and a split playerbase. Let me explain:

         

        1. MW3 and Black Ops 2 had a ton of negative reception and the series is trending downward

        2. The Ghosts reviews are below the other cods (subjective and mostly about campaign, but they do effect some people)

        3. The Xbox playerbase has been split between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One

        4. The hype of other shooters like Titanfall and Destiny and people wanting to try new things.

         

        The online population is a reflection of the lower sales numbers of Ghosts. Ghosts launch sales were far below past cods which was before anyone knew anything about the maps. If you believe the new cod completely kills the old cod then you would be wrong. Last xbox live chart (from majornelson.com) I saw there were four or five cod games in the top 15 on xbox live's activity chart. When WAW was in it's prime, Cod 4 was still just one place below it in online population through the whole year. When Black Ops came out, MW2 was still very strong just a couple places behind. When MW3 came out Black Ops was just one spot below it on the xbl charts. The population being close to Black Ops 2 has to do with the fact that Black Ops 2 has more sales and the next gen consoles split the playerbase. Splitting the playerbase has put next gen players on a console with only a million copies sold. This split has a snowball effect leading to overall lower populations.

         

        You can not place blame on one aspect of the game when there is no evidence for it. I personally find the maps MUCH better than MW3 and Black Ops 2.

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          Sledgehammer23248

          how would you explain ghosts being the most returned cod ever... i've never heard of game stores not taking games back and sales associates have told me they have never seen a more returned game...

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          myevo8you

          AlteredVista wrote:

           

          No Ghosts population numbers are because of sales and a split playerbase. Let me explain:

           

          1. MW3 and Black Ops 2 had a ton of negative reception and the series is trending downward

          2. The Ghosts reviews are below the other cods (subjective and mostly about campaign, but they do effect some people)

          3. The Xbox playerbase has been split between the Xbox 360 and Xbox One

          4. The hype of other shooters like Titanfall and Destiny and people wanting to try new things.

           

          The online population is a reflection of the lower sales numbers of Ghosts. Ghosts launch sales were far below past cods which was before anyone knew anything about the maps. If you believe the new cod completely kills the old cod then you would be wrong. Last xbox live chart (from majornelson.com) I saw there were four or five cod games in the top 15 on xbox live's activity chart. When WAW was in it's prime, Cod 4 was still just one place below it in online population through the whole year. When Black Ops came out, MW2 was still very strong just a couple places behind. When MW3 came out Black Ops was just one spot below it on the xbl charts. The population being close to Black Ops 2 has to do with the fact that Black Ops 2 has more sales and the next gen consoles split the playerbase. Splitting the playerbase has put next gen players on a console with only a million copies sold. This split has a snowball effect leading to overall lower populations.

           

          You can not place blame on one aspect of the game when there is no evidence for it. I personally find the maps MUCH better than MW3 and Black Ops 2.

          I have Ghosts on both the XBOX 360 and XBOX One. There is only between 15,000-20,000 people playing on the One at any given time. My buddy owns a PS3 and PS4. He says there are around 115,000-125,000 on the PS3 and only around 15,000 on the PS4 at any given time. Between those FOUR consoles, that is around 250,000-300,000 players on at the four month period into this COD's lifecycle. During the FIRST map pack release just on BO2 there were numbers in the MILLIONS on at ONE TIME just on the XBOX 360.

           

          And YES shortly after release (I believe 2 weeks, or 3 weeks) retailers such as Gamestop WOULD NOT TAKE USED COPIES OF GHOST due to the resounding high return rate coupled with the poor sales of the large stock that they already had.

           

          Simply put the maps are TOO BIG for a 6v6 shooter game. The only maps that shipped with the game worth playing are Tremor, Warhawk, Strikezone, and MAYBE Prison Break. The other maps are just too large for any type of flow or smooth gameplay. Couple the fact that people would run for a minute or more and not see an enemy only to get shot in the back by an enemy that just spawned 2 steps behind them, it makes for poor gameplay.

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            newm8n

            ah before tf came out there was 40k on the one from 9 to 12 mountain time on week nights.  i pretty much play every night.

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            AlteredVista

            Why did you quote that? You didn't disprove anything I said. You just look like another angry kid who sucks at Ghosts and needs to find a way to complain.

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            AlteredVista

             

             

            I bought Black Ops 2 on launch and I do not EVER remember the game in the millions of players on Xbox 360. I was doing these tests like this last year and BO2 would say during double exp weekends that 450k people were online, but in reality 250k were in online public matchmaking. There are many things in these games and you can not compare totals when we don't know what the totals represent. For example, Black Ops 2 might count campaign and Ghosts doesn't track it. There are a variety of unknowns as to what this total population statistic refers to. Point is that there is no evidence to suggest that BO2 is more successful than Ghosts right now in terms of multiplayer. Perhaps Ghosts is doing a little worse than BO2 was at this point in it's lifecycle. I have laid out a variety of reasons that you quoted, but unfortunately it seems you did not read.

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          ShuffleTeamSix

          What's even worse is the map pack phenomena. That shrinks the player base as well. Stinks that you have to go to a seperate lobby from regular matchmaking to play them. I would imagine it will be that way for all the packs. And what happens if someone only gets one map pack and skips the others. Even less lobbies.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    Carvalho16

    People can 1 star the OP all they want but the player counts completely back his point up.

     

    Spawns and maps are the biggest turn offs for the mass consumer in this game. The lack of simple and symmetrical layouts is a casual killer in reality. Maps needed to be bigger than Blops II but they went too far to the other end of the spectrum. 6 vs 6 on maps like Stormfront is not fun. It's a chore. A game becoming a chore is a massive problem.

    • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
      Sledgehammer23248

      i completely agree.  numbers tell all... these maps would be perfect if they would have allowed 8 v 8 or maybe even more.

      • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
        myevo8you

        Sledgehammer23248 wrote:

         

        i completely agree.  numbers tell all... these maps would be perfect if they would have allowed 8 v 8 or maybe even more.

        Even on XBOX One where there is ground war, maps like Stonehaven, Seige, Chasm, Flooded, Whiteout, and Stormfront still feel large as 6 or more people on each team want to lay in a dark spot and wait for people to run by. These maps simply have ZERO flow as to how the game is played. Maps should be somewhat symmetrical, limited paths (as this is where the fun of the game is, so team can fight for the "power positions"), and less clutter. There should NEVER be spots that a player can blend in seamlessly into the background and "disappear".

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          trialstardragon

          Have to disagree, these maps are far better than the simple mlg style maps of three lanes where everyone fights over choke points. These maps allow for more and varied different flank routes which is why some hate them because they cannot just face forward all the time(the campers). They have to watch behind them and most CoD players don't like having to think that far. There is flow to the maps, but it is a more open aspect and not limited where campers can head glitch the choke points for easy kills like in BO2 and MW3. And from a stealth view, yes there needs to be places where a player can lay prone and blend in and be nearly invisible to anyone not paying attention.

           

          It is about paying attention and not just headless adrenaline rushing and is why the rushers do not like this game. It is not as easy for them as BO2, MW3 was. You have to play smart to be a rusher on the larger maps. But most rushers who play CoD are not as smart as they like to think. So get mad when they die to anyone in places they normally would not think to check. That is why rushers like smaller symmetrical maps where things are limited and predictable where everything looks nearly the same on each side so less thinking is needed about where players may be.

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            myevo8you

            With these maps, there is no constant flow to the game. I have seen games of TDM where the first kill didn't happen until 2 minutes into the game. This should NEVER happen. PERIOD. If the maps are so big that this can happen there is an issue. I have seen games of CORE TDM end with scores of 35-25. PATHETIC.

            • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
              trialstardragon

              That is your opinion about how long a kill should take and not a fact at all. If you need a kill that quick you have no patience for tactical game play.

               

              Games do not need to end by score for them to be worthwhile or fun for those that played it. You just don't like them for less exp is gained during such a match and it takes longer so less games per hour meaning less exp per hour meaning slower leveling.

               

              Same as any other rusher that needs a kill every 2.5 seconds or the game is not fun for them.. Adrenaline monkeys that cant sit still and always have to move around and try and flip spawns all the time.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    Increment

    Sometimes it’s feels damn good just to run around Ripper the crap out of corner huggers and tube everything and everyone.

    Sometimes it’s good to move in covering formation with your friends on medium maps where your skill as a team comes to the test and you get to mix between assault rifle, smg or shotgun.

    And sometimes it’s awesome to have a sniper fight on a big *** maps and try to sneak into enemy camp and spawn-kill.


    It’s the good mix of small, medium and big maps that makes Ghost actually a pretty decent game.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    Vorsaire

    I believe Ghosts has quite a few good "Run 'n Gun" maps available for gameplay, actually. You just have to know how to do it properly. With 3 more DLC map packs still to come out, I think we'll see a few more nice, small maps. 

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    brsox

    I love smaller, fast paced maps!

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    Izjar11

    No tiny maps! Mid size to large are fine

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    killin1t

    I prefer the "BIG" and interesting maps of Ghosts to the "SMALL" low effort boring copy paste maps in Black Ops 2. The console consolidation is 100% the reason that Ghosts is failing in population.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    bxr2004

    The maps in Ghosts are mint. If anything it just shows how mentally crippling our community can be towards innovation and positive change. Ghosts maps offer the best balance of strategy and action.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    biron_w

    The odd small map is fine but loads of them in a game just sucks. That's one of the reasons I disliked BO2.

    I prefer medium sized maps. Maps like Invasion or Skidrow.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    TheDarkOne123

    I miss the days of MW2 and Black Ops 1 every map in those two games allowed for all styles of play. Those maps were mostly medium sized and large maps and I have to say they are way better then any small map. If you want small maps go back to Black Ops 2 or go play Face Off Mode in MW3 I am sick and tired of garbage small maps. Just because you want an easy fast paced forced to run easy to spawn exploit game doesn't mean that other Call of Duty veterans want them. Yes Call of Duty 4 was good but it wasn't because it had four small maps it was because of the game as a whole.

    • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
      myevo8you

      TheDarkOne123 wrote:

       

      I miss the days of MW2 and Black Ops 1 every map in those two games allowed for all styles of play. Those maps were mostly medium sized and large maps and I have to say they are way better then any small map. If you want small maps go back to Black Ops 2 or go play Face Off Mode in MW3 I am sick and tired of garbage small maps. Just because you want an easy fast paced forced to run easy to spawn exploit game doesn't mean that other Call of Duty veterans want them. Yes Call of Duty 4 was good but it wasn't because it had four small maps it was because of the game as a whole.

      If you look at BO1 maps there were more medium to small maps. Remember you have to take into account the amount of buildings and the number of levels in those buildings as well. Also the "random clutter" which adds dynamic map space as well. This is the problem with the maps in Ghosts. It's not that the map boundaries are necessarily large, but the amount of playable space with hidden areas. Take for example a map like Sovereign. The map itself is about the size if Firing Range from BO1, BUT with the addition of random boxes, cubicles, four areas that are upstairs, the ramps running on the second floor, the underneath areas, and the little rooms, the map plays larger (in play space) than the biggest maps on BO1.

       

      These maps were small/medium maps in BO

       

      Crysis, Firing Range, Grid, Hanoi, Havana, Jungle, Launch, Nuketown, Radiation, Summit, Villa, Stadium, Stockpile, Zoo, Drive in, and Hanger 18.

       

      A total of 16, yes SIXTEEN medium to small maps.

       

      The larger maps were

       

      Array, Cracked, WMD, Berlin Wall, Discovery, Kowloon, Convoy, Hotel, Silo, and Hazard.

       

      A total of 10.

       

      Large maps have ZERO place in a "fast paced arcade style shooter". If you want larger maps where it takes 5 minutes to find enemies, go play Battlefield.

      • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
        TheDarkOne123

        If you want action as soon as you spawn go play Black Ops 2. Call of Duty Ghost maps aren't big they are actually smaller then Derail what I find funny is that I was able to finish a game in Derail way more then in this game. The problem is not because the maps got bigger it's because Call of Duty players became slower. These maps aren't even big there are only two large maps in this game. The problem is that the maps are too open and have to many vantage points looking at the the open areas preventing people from flanking. There are also no points of extreme interest so TDM matches last long because there are no areas better then other areas in the map this is bad for rushers who think everyone should rush. This is good for people who are unbiased and bad for campers who need traffic. If they were to make better maps they wouldn't be smaller instead there wouldn't be as much open areas there would be clutter and buildings and more openings to allow rushers to be able to rush again. Also I don't why you are bringing Black Ops 1 into this when only two maps were actually small so yea small maps aren't good Face Off and Black Ops 2 are proof because of the bad spawning and how easy it was to spawn camp and camp. This game only needs medium to large sized maps to be fast paced it's all about the design that counts and it depends on player willingness to move as well.

         

        You see this isn't an adrenaline game it's a fast paced game fast paced isn't about map size it's about being able to find an enemy if you go looking for them. Fast paced doesn't mean Black Ops 2 it's more of a MW2. Also why are you bringing Battlefield 4 into this when I can finish a game faster in that game then in this one so it's more "fast paced" then Call of Duty when you look at it in the way that I do. It's funny that you you think it takes five minutes way to exaggerate cause it only takes thirty seconds to find an enemy. Even Titanfall has bigger maps and I don't have a problem finding people in that game. So what's Call of Duty Ghost's excuse when it has smaller maps then then Call of Duties older then MW3 and smaller maps then most of the other FPS? The game doesn't need smaller maps you just need to learn where to look.

      • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
        TheDarkOne123

        Also small maps have no place in a current gen or next gen games so whats your point?

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          trialstardragon

          Old gen players cannot handle that idea, they want their thimble size maps to remain dominant in the game for ever.

           

          I guarantee if noobtown was added to this game but the other side of the street was opened making it a bit larger players would cry it was ruined and nolonger fun...

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            TheDarkOne123

            Exactly. I can only dream of maps that are actually realistically designed with dynamic weather with full destruction of anything inside the playable area. Where altitude is embraced again and not shunned because it might give a "camper" or sniper an edge. Where maps don't have three lanes but are instead medium sized and large as well as unpredictable where all styles of are welcome but no style of play can be dominant unless the player is actually skilled. Oops I tend to ramble when I think about the many improvements that would improve any game. Too bad this won't happen cause no one wants a an unbiased map design that's challenging for everyone cause they prefer a game that only caters to how they play. If hackers weren't shunned from the game forums you would be getting make my aimbot better threads.

            • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
              trialstardragon

              My aimbot missed three headshots.. hey dev fix its accuracy...!!!!!!!!

              • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
                TheDarkOne123

                lol I can only imagine how bad things might get if everyone was listened to. You would probably be getting my gun shoot rockets threads or make me shorter so that I am harder to hit threads. That list would take to long to even type my point is no one likes challenges anymore. I would rather have an even playing field then a game designed for how I play cause lets be honest if they did that the game would have fully automatic rocket launchers with at least twenty or so rounds. haha The day that they make unbiased game with an even playing field is the day the garbage gets separated from the noobs and good players.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    myevo8you

    It's funny that these 2 are stroking each other's e-peens when the FACT remains that one of the biggest complaints about Ghosts right after spawns is the map size.

     

    In case you 2 didn't realize the player population is almost gone as NOBODY minus a few exceptions like this game. If BO2 was so hated, why at the 4 month period in it's lifecycle, did it have 5x more players on JUST THE XBOX 360 than all SIX platforms for Ghosts? You guessed it, THE PLAYERS HATE THE GAME.

     

    You guy's just don't get how negatively the map design on Ghosts affects the gameplay. If you did a total square footage map of the maps in Ghosts I would almost GUARANTEE you that they are the largest maps we have seen on ANY COD game. You have to take into account the climbable objects, corners, multiple levels, etc. Some of these maps would make THREE of the better maps in previous COD's such as Firing Range, Summit, and Nuketown.

     

    And PLEASE don't tell me how Nuketown "was the worst map in COD history" as if that were true,WHY would it be on of the highest voted for maps by the players?

    • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
      TheDarkOne123

      So the greatest maps to you are the ones that are easiest to spawn kill in? That makes more sense you want an easier game.

      • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
        myevo8you

        TheDarkOne123 wrote:

         

        So the greatest maps to you are the ones that are easiest to spawn kill in? That makes more sense you want an easier game.

        No, the greatest maps are the ones that FORCE action and not let people be bush donkeys the entire game. It has nothing to do with easy or making the game dumbed down. It has to do with making the game FUN again. I'm sorry, but fun is NOT laying down prone in a bush/tree/door waiting for an enemy to walk by and getting 3-4 kills a game.

        • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
          trialstardragon

          Maybe not for you but for some people it is. For those that like to snipe or play stealth or tactical it can be. Not eveyrones fun is the same. So just because you say it is not fun does not make that true for everyone else that plays the game.

           

          And maps should not ever force action ever. It should just happen when it does. Not be forced upon a player because of poor map design such as 3 lane only maps or small maps where players can cross them in under 10 seconds.

          • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
            myevo8you

            trialstardragon wrote:

             

            Maybe not for you but for some people it is. For those that like to snipe or play stealth or tactical it can be. Not eveyrones fun is the same. So just because you say it is not fun does not make that true for everyone else that plays the game.

             

            And maps should not ever force action ever. It should just happen when it does. Not be forced upon a player because of poor map design such as 3 lane only maps or small maps where players can cross them in under 10 seconds.

            It seems that you are missing the point of what COD is all about. It is MARKETED AS A FAST PACED ARCADE SHOOTER.

             

            If you went to buy a car and it was advertised as "the most powerful car on the road" and when you test drove it and the fastest it went was 40 mph, would you be happy?

            • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
              trialstardragon

              Cod was never really a fast paced arcade shooter,. I can remember WaW matches going to time. I can remember MW. MW2, MW3, BO and sometimes even BO2 matches going to time and not score in both core and hardcore.

               

              And once persons definition of fast paced is different from anothers, just because it is not fast enough for you does not mean it is not fast paced to others.

               

              Plus I never believe the hype in marketing for I know that most companies will lie in order to make a sell. Only fools believe it blindly ever.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    puertoricanguy9

    i'd prefer more medium size maps like tremor or freight..they're not too small like nuketown and strikezone and they're not too big like stonehaven and chasm

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    hxctears

    They needed to have large maps because Mw3 and Bo2 both had small and boring maps.

  • Re: Who wants to see smaller fast paced maps
    admunday

    Smaller maps aren't necessarily faster.  You can get some horrible campy games on Strikezone.

     

    The reality is, in general, Ghosts rewards tactical play as well as twitch.  You can ask for smaller maps, but you might not get the faster play you are looking for in this game.  Luckily for you, TF is out now, a game which only has 1 pace, fast.