1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 98 Replies Latest reply: Apr 10, 2014 7:33 PM by nuttin2say Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    ctfw529

rlbl wrote:

To be fair, OneofSowrds IS the ATVI community manager... so I would take what he says with a bit more than a grain of salt.

Now that the conversation has digressed to the point of absurd, I will state (my opinion) that I have to agree with starbuckfrack in principal:

There was conflicting information (be it between the upgrade pages, support pages, ATVI blogs, whatever).  Maybe it is because I know people (including myself) have been burned (even if only in their heads) before, but when the information is as clear as mud I tend to be cautious.  If a page said one thing, and then changed (for whatever reason), there is no denying that is bad PR and shows the that the right hand is not talking to left hand.

However... unless one has never had any dealings with business bureaucracy before, there is no excuse for making assumptions and decisions based on one source that may provide information that we want to see, when it potentially conflicts with something else.

The PS3 and PS4 are two different systems. I guessed (assumed?) that the ONLY reason why they allowed for upgrades* for certain games is because of the timing of the game release vis-a-vis the console releases (e.g. if the consoles were releases 1st, I doubt that they would offer upgrades. Proof: How many games are being release currently that give upgrade options if they are purchased for the PS3? If the answer is not "All of them", that is the proof right there)

One can argue all day, but it is what it is... unfortunately.

* The simple fact that there was a deadline on the upgrade told me that not all transfers would be honored forever, regardless of direction: currentgen->nextgen or vice versa .  Having said that, it would not make sense for one to buy the Season Pass for the PS3 and to only have some of the pre-purchased DLC not transfer.  Logically, anything bought after the upgrade window could not transfer.  If one made a decision based on misinformation, they cannot be held 100% at fault (unless there is conflict, which there was). To these unfortunate people, if nothing gets resolved I hope that the old saying "Fool me twice... shame on me" is ringing loud and clear.

appreciate your civility. i understand where you're coming from on the oneofswords deal, but if i had looked at that, it would've led me right to the same *original* "Onslaught DLC Compatibility" page as oneofswords FAQ on next-gen upgrades didn't have any concrete information in it anyway. it must've been put out to soon, before everything was finalized, or they don't have access to all of the correct information. they used terms like "i don't expect it to" and "i'm not sure". it's linked a few pages back. btw, i say "they" because there is no "oneofswords" anymore. he left activision last June and now the site is being run by a "group from activision".

the issue isn't with the season pass now, that works just like they said it would. i've now helped 7 people get it onto their ps3s after buying/downloading to their ps4s. all anyone has to do is log into SEN.com and tell the season pass to download to whichever console they don't have it on, log onto that console, install the season pass, then go into the store and download the maps.

the issue is *still* that people aren't getting what activision told them they would get from the original support page. for playstations, it didn't matter what or where it was bought/downloaded, so people bought individual items expecting them to work on the other consoles and they don't.

after putting together all of the information last night, emails, links, etc. i've now seen where the conflicting information comes from. the only 2 documents that ever specified anything about DLC, they were/are the the original support page on activisions support KB, the same one the support staff keeps sending people to, and, oneofswords' FAQ, which contains no solid information. this is where one of the biggest breakdowns is, IMO, the upgrade deal was specified and sorted out beforehand, but the DLC transfer issues were never ironed out, so instead of trying to rectify the situation, they just changed it to "none of it works".

the pages that starbuck linked to me yesterday are for the next-gen upgrade, which deals with the game, itself, not the DLC. there was no "next-gen upgrade" for the season pass, nor the DLC. those terms stated that the season pass and the DLC would transfer regardless of platform, on playstations. i say there was no "next-gen upgrade" for those items because there wasn't any sort of deal by buying it on one console or the other, they were supposed to transfer either way, going off of activisions "Onslaught DLC compatibility" page that, they themselves, keep telling everyone to go read. they are not sending people to any "next-gen upgrade" pages. why? because it's not the same thing.

i agree that the upgrade offers on the 5 games were only done because of the new consoles coming out and i also understand that this isn't the normal situation for any of this. but, that's not my problem. i didn't make the offer, i didn't make the deal. people held up their end of the purchase by paying, activision hasn't held up their end by delivering what they offered.

but, it still comes down to a company making an offer, people purchasing that offer, based on information provided by the selling company, then that company changing what came in the offer *after* it was purchased. it really is that simple.

it's no different than any of us buying a car with certain options, then when taking delivery of that car, we see that we did not get all of the options we paid for. would you feel the same way then? would you walk away and just live with a lesser car than what you paid for?

• 91. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    ANWRambo

The PS3 to PS4 deal is now OVER.

It is no longer valid or being supported.

You will have to buy it on both systems now if you want it.

No more discounts or transferable content.

You did NOT get ripped off.

You failed to read the fine print and check the dates on the deal at the time.

Next time make sure you read everything and understand it all before making a purchase.

• 92. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    starbuckfrack

ctfw529 wrote:

the pages that starbuck linked to me yesterday are for the next-gen upgrade, which deals with the game, itself, not the DLC. there was no "next-gen upgrade" for the season pass, nor the DLC. those terms stated that the season pass and the DLC would transfer regardless of platform, on playstations. i say there was no "next-gen upgrade" for those items because there wasn't any sort of deal by buying it on one console or the other, they were supposed to transfer either way, going off of activisions "Onslaught DLC compatibility" page that, they themselves, keep telling everyone to go read. they are not sending people to any "next-gen upgrade" pages. why? because it's not the same thing.

Not all the pages I linked were for the next gen upgrade. Half the pages I linked dealt with the season pass which IS the DLC.

You buy the Season Pass on the PS3 and you get to upgrade it for free on the PS4. So there was a deal buying it on one console and it stated that it was only an upgrade on those pages. And those pages stated that the DLC would only go to the PS3 to the PS4. Hence the conflicting details .

• 93. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    ctfw529

ANWRambo wrote:

The PS3 to PS4 deal is now OVER.

It is no longer valid or being supported.

You will have to buy it on both systems now if you want it.

No more discounts or transferable content.

You did NOT get ripped off.

You failed to read the fine print and check the dates on the deal at the time.

Next time make sure you read everything and understand it all before making a purchase.

another one who does not understand what's going on...the "fine print" changed *after* they sold it to people. this isn't about the "next-gen upgrade" deal. it's about the DLC transfer ability that they offered and then changed *after* the sale. again, nothing to do with the "next-gen upgrade" deal which was a deal with the game itself, not DLC.

no, i, personally, did not get ripped off. i got my season pass on both consoles just like the way activision originally said it would. bought/installed on my ps4 the day onslaught went live on the PSN, transferred it backwards to my ps3 2 weeks later, even though activision tried to say it couldn't be done. they just didn't know how to do it with the new SEN.com storefront.

now, the issue is for the people who bought the onslaught map pack and the wolf skin. some people bought it based on activisions support KB article that originally stated:

"PlayStation
    The Call of Duty: Ghosts Season Pass has no effect on DLC transferring between PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.

• DLC purchased on PlayStation 3 will transfer to PlayStation 4.
    • DLC purchased on PlayStation 4 will transfer to PlayStation 3."

now it states:

Activision Support

see the difference?

• 94. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    cb765

I purchased COD Ghosts for ps4 and then purchased the season pass from game stop . I understand the situation like this , for a limited amount of time your season pass would carry over to last gen console on the same account this promotion ended in march . My season pass did carry over to ps3 from ps4 , I do not know if the promotion applied to DLC purchased separately .

• 95. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    starbuckfrack

This entire reply is to RAMBO only, if you have the feeling I am talking about you then seek psychiatric help, please. Neither am I referring or implying anything towards anyone else here. So if you want to twist my words around thats your problem. Hence the reason the words above say "Reply to ANWRambo".

Any time I see small print on an agreement I will read it. For example that coverage that DTV offers that covers laptops from spills. If I HADNT read it they would have charged me 19.99 for the first month if I didnt cancel it AND it actually did not cover all spills.

Including at the bottom of that support page and every page I can see on the Activision site. Legal, Terms of Use, Privacy Policy. I at least glance at them every once in a while. I dont just pick out one or two words on a page that suit me.

Like the Terms of Use which does apply to single purchases. (Which BTW even applies to single camo packs for example, for want of another type of item, which in another example is linked for you to read on the Xbox Live Marketplace before you actually buy it. I bought MS Office one day and I had to agree to its EULA and that is not a service, it is a product, even if it was notepad its still a software product. I even had to agree to the part which is going to kill some people...

"Can Microsoft change this Agreement after I have accepted it? Yes. From time to time, Microsoft may change or amend these terms. If we do, we will notify you, either through the user interface, in an email notification, or through other reasonable means. Your use of the Services after the date the change becomes effective will be your consent to the changed terms. If you do not agree to the changes, you must stop using the Services and cancel any paid Services by following the instructions in section 6.10. Otherwise, the new terms will apply to you."

Things like this show up in a lot of agreements including content and software.

YUP... Again not posting the whole page....

All purchases are made from Sony Network Entertainment Limited and are subject to the SEN Terms of Service. Please check usage rights and age ratings for each purchase as these differ from item to item

This Agreement applies to software, content and access to software, content and services provided through or in connection with Sony Online Services, including via the PlayStation®Store and virtual communities

Such access, software, and content include subscriptions, data, system software, fixes, updates or newer releases and related materials.

Your continued use of Sony Online Services, including use of your associated Sub Account(s), will signify your acceptance of these changes. If you do not accept material changes to the Agreement, then you may contact us to terminate this Agreement and your account(s)

Here is a portion of Activisions...

Except as otherwise set forth herein, Activision does not guarantee that any particular Product or Service Provided Content will be available at all times or at any given time or that Activision will continue to offer the Product or Service Provided Content for any particular length of time. Activision may change and update the Product or Service Provided Content without notice to you. Activision makes no warranty or representation regarding the availability of online Product features and reserves the right to modify or discontinue online Product features in its discretion without notice, including for example, ceasing an online service for economic reasons due to a limited number of users continuing to make use of the online service over time.

All title, ownership, and intellectual property rights in and to the Product (including, but not limited to, any titles, trademarks, service marks, and trade names, computer code, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, dialog, catch phrases, locations, concepts, artwork, animations, sounds, musical compositions, audio-visual effects, methods of operation, moral rights, and any related documentation) are owned by Activision and/or Activision's licensor(s). The Product is licensed, not sold, for your use. Your license confers no title or ownership in this Product and should not be construed as a sale of any rights in the Product."

Of course the above is just samples of agreements that are included with purchases that are already made using a paid service. But usually ever situation has a loophole.

What sucks is that we actually lose some freedoms of using these services. Like freedoms of speech, some freedoms of arbitration, etc.

For example you might own a car, but that falls under a different category and doesnt fall under software rules. Some countries will offer no refunds and stick to it. But some countries dont allow "no refunds", and some countries dont allow you to sue because software isnt covered under faulty merchandise, only the CD it came on is.

So yeah every piece of software you use has an agreement, including single purchases. Sometimes the Agreements screw you the second you hand over your cash. Thats why I dont hand over my cash anymore til I am 100 percent sure.

• 96. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    nuttin2say

Just to let you guys know, I filled for copywright protection of this book today. I even gave it a title:

The Great Gaming Debate of the 21st Century.

• 97. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    rlbl

I will not sue if I am listed in the footnotes

• 98. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    starbuckfrack

I think we deserve at least us in the background of the authors picture. "see that pixelated image ? Thats my foot."

• 99. Re: Got scammed by Activision and Sony
    nuttin2say

Oh, no doubt about it I'll put you guy in a footnote!

But I'm greedy capitalist pig and I'm keeping all the money. I will have you over for some BBQ though.

(fake) edit - Oh. Never mind. I just agreed to the beta TOU. ATVI has your book now.

1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next