19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2014 1:45 PM by matuzz RSS

Chrome barrel on snipers.

Firesens

I wish IW hadn't made this an attachment, snipers are already powerful enough they don't need anymore power. It sorta imbalances the game between other snipers that do not use chrome barrel.

The VKS is at a heavy disadvantage with the other snipers since it is the only sniper that can't have a chrome barrel attachment because of its integrated silencer. They should have made the VKS's Max damage a little higher than the USR or equal to that of the L118. or make a similar attachment that increases damage. If a good enough player can hold onto a streak he can have less and less kick back/recoil if he/she uses the L118 and USR since they both have a recoil compensator but the VKS does not.

• Re: Chrome barrel on snipers.
    KC_KREW

Well, we would not be able to get that coooooollllll ghillie suit for 850 kills! LOL- just messing with you- it is pretty powerful- definitely overkill in HC matches!

ghamorra

It adds massive sway and recoil to the weapon and it's not as powerful as people make it out to be. You can still easily survive a round by a sniper with a BV or a shot to the leg with anything other than a the Lynx (which already has a very high OHK potential). All the Chrome Barrel does and give snipers a chance to actually kill someone in one shot if they have the skill to steady the weapon.

I hate hearing complaints that snipers are OP, WTF is the point of using a sniper if it's not going to kill in one shot...?

PSNRednight

the one shot kill isn't the problem, its the fact that people are easily annoy by someone using the minority weapon which is a sniper, they remember a sniper ending their streak but they don't remember a smg or ar guy ending their streak

Shadowelite555

I know right! One shot to kill - says it all about sniper rifles.

Firesens

Last time I checked I was complaining about an attachment that shouldn't have been added to snipers, I use the sniper but I don't crutch myself with the chrome barrel I can kill just fine with out it. It also puts the VKS at a big disadvantage since it is the only sniper that can't have it.

ghamorra

The VKS is not at a huge disadvantage. Anyone wanting to go silenced should use the VKS because it's built-in suppressor has less of an impact than any other sniper with an added suppressor. Also, because it's built in you can add two more attachments without the need for the perk. It's a niche weapon and should be treated that way.

Second, complaining that the Chrome Barrel is a crutch is exactly what I was talking about in my above post. It's not a crutch, how can you even say it's a crutch. We're talking black and white with snipers, either you get the OHK or you don't. There's no in between so I don't understand your opinion.

claisty

Could be lag, but I don't notice much of a difference when I use the chrome barrel attachment.  I still seem to get my share of non-kills when I appear to be centered up.

ghamorra

claisty wrote:

Could be lag, but I don't notice much of a difference when I use the chrome barrel attachment.  I still seem to get my share of non-kills when I appear to be centered up.

So is the life of a sniper

phxs72

The chrome barrel advantage is rather limited.  Besides that I have trouble thinking of a second attachment to add to a sniper rifle.  So I don't see why anyone who wanted to run Chrome couldn't easily do so.  The VKS, of course, is the exception.  That sniper rifle is rather weak compared to all of the other stock snipers.  Often you'll need 2 hits to get a kill with it unless you land a headshot but I suppose that's how they balanced the built in silencer.  If you're going to get the free advantage of staying off the radar then you have to be able to work with a very small OHK window.  I'm not a fan of the VKS but I'd imagine that for those guys that are really good at sniping that it provides a challenge and that's a good thing for those that like challenges.

RainbowFrickingDash

Chrome Lined is only good on the USR because it makes the whole center mass a one shot. It's unneeded overkill on the other base game snipers & on the A2 it only extends the one hit kill area to the private parts not the limbs. So it only makes the USR OP & unfair.

iHattoriHanzo0

I see where you're coming from and it makes sense. I do think the differences with the chrome lined are miniscule though. I mean when I had it equipped, I didn't notice much of a difference and adapted quickly. After all, its either a OSK or a hitmarker. No matter what I have equipped, accuracy usually plays a bigger part with that outcome than attachments.

As for the VKS which I enjoyed using, the rate of fire is obviously its strong point. If you're able to time the shots with the recoil, it almost is like a marksman rifle. Not really but more so that the other sniper rifles.

All said and done, the USR with thermal is my gun of choice. Chrome lined not necessary.

nicedrewishfela

I still think the issue isn't so much with the attachments...

it is more to do with the fact it takes no effort to unlock them.

Imagine if you had to use the Sniper first before you could unlock the attachments.

Sure, people might get there eventually, but I think Balance is improved when people have to work to unlock game changing Attachments; ie Thermal Scopes and Chrome Barrel. Imagine if players had to use a sniper with no attachments in order to unlock the ability to unlock attachments, and then complete a series of challenges for each attachment (MW2 style).

The higher level attachments wouldn't be as much of an issue, because your casual player couldn't just grab a weapon and slap anything they wanted on it.

Gerbera

Chrome Barrel isn't really worth it in the long-run, IMO. As mentioned, it adds very noticeable sway and recoil and the damage increase isn't that huge that you "need" it so much. Any decent sniper can easily make due without it.

Xx67Customs

Giving the VKS the same damage as the L115? Talk about imbalanced.

matuzz

You don't even need chrome barrel, just aim at central mass.