17 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2014 3:55 PM by Juju8212 RSS

How the Battle Royal Should work.  Ideas and Suggestions. Your opinion matters.

Jeremysmokin420

The whole Battle Royal situation really needs to be looked into in depth.  From what I hear, and see, the entire thing looks like crap.  Utter Crap.  It needs to be changed, not scrapped, just changed.  I have my own ideas, which I will post, but it needs to be changed. And don't forget, your ideas matter as well, so if you find something that you think would work, or just have one of those "Eureka" moments, that's why this post is here.

First of all, Brackets.  There is a reason why sports brackets haven't changed in, well, FOREVER.  They work.  Clan Commanders and Lt. Commanders are sent invitations(to ensure the clan receives an invitation). Only one need apply for the clan to participate.

Secondly, Team size. If this is a Battle Royal of clan vs. clan, when pitted against each other, the max party size for each clan is going to be 6v6. That's what is considered a full lobby for almost all game modes, So that would be your Starting Line Up.

Thirdly, Rotational players/Backup Players/Second String Players.  All team sports do this, have second string, backup players, or players that are rotated out, so allowing the registering of secondary players should be limited to no more than 12 players, no less than 6, for a full string of backup players.  Think of them as your substitutions.  This will eliminate one team of 6 participating the entire event by themselves, and allowing the team to at least sub out people who are getting exhausted and need benched for a few games.  Not a mandatory, just an optional suggestion to make sure your clan is doing the best it can, as well as taking specialized teammates who are better in certain areas, and subbing out ones who have no talent for certain game types, or play styles.

Fourth, bigger doesn't mean crap.  If you have a clan of four, and you want to participate, then the opposing team should be limited to four players as well, though subs can still be used. This will allow the participation of every clan who wants their hand in the gameplay, but are afraid their roster is too small.  Don't stop the participation of individuals because their clan size is small, though four is as small as I would go, otherwise, it will become extremely drawn out.

I feel if this is used, we can create some real brackets, elimination, and have an actual season, with playoffs and championships.  Make playoff rewards, and championship rewards, and with them being that exclusive, you are going to open the doors to a whole new competitive spirit in COD.

Suggestions or comments are more than welcome.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Gamer

• Re: How the Battle Royal Should work.  Ideas and Suggestions.
    Jeremysmokin420

Addendum: Division shouldn't mean crap.  If I have a clan of 60+, which can be pretty common, I can easily make Diamond division in a matter of two clan wars, It should be open to ALL CLANS.

Izjar11

Two things:

1- Your forum name kinda gives the impression that you probably toked when you wrote this and spammed it on various areas of the forums

2- though your opinion is not bad, they do have a pro" version of COD which pays money and they have brackets and seeding and the whole "real" competition thing going. In other words what you suggest seems far to complex to work for the casual clans.

From what I understand, this battle royal is simply more clans competing, what this does is force clans to play more. Sounds good to me. The issue is in the scoring of taking nodes, that's usually the debate.

Jeremysmokin420

If it is a battle royal, I doubt nodes are going to be involved, nor the capturing of nodes.  It sounds like a Clan Vs. Clan battle.  Secondly, I have actually been clean for a month now because It's time to grow up.  I need to get clean to acquire better than fast food jobs.  Sure, getting high is nice, but having money and being able to survive in the hypocrisy of the united states has forced me to do a lot of things I don't feel are necessary. And yes, I did post it on multiple forums so everyone would see it and offer their opinion to IW and the rest of the development team. 

Izjar11

This is what I found from the reddit post "And finally, for those hyper-sweaty clans who want to prove that they are the true clan wars masters, we are planning to host a Battle Royale on that Saturday/Sunday, to be held in the Euro timezone so that Euro, EDT and PDT clans can all play against each other, in one particular clan war size bracket yet to be determined (but likely in the 46-54). Participating, placing and winning in this bracket will reap rewards and perhaps propel the victors to glory!"

No details on how it will work, except that it encompass large number of clans, leaves me wondering will it be node based, or will clans actually be in their own (party size) playlist? Well see.

Jeremysmokin420

I truly hope it is a clan vs clan battle royal with no nodes involved, otherwise it will be just another clan war with maxed out clan sizes.  This, unfortunately, doesn't offer anything more than what the clan wars already offers.  A pain in the A$$ battle for nodes with nothing more to offer than prizes for coming in the top 3. 

Izjar11

honestly, the clan vs clan mode has not been successful as they probably thought. Whats worse, players have been asking for a clan vs clan game mode for years and when it was given to us no one wanted it! Go figure.

This Battle Royale thing sounds interesting and it sounds competitive, grant them the chance to release it and then we can come back and request for changes or improvements or remain silent with gratitude.

Jeremysmokin420

I would prefer to offer suggestions, not just from myself, but from the community as a whole, before the battle royal starts, so they can see what we see, and try to make what the players want.  After that, if there are bugd to work out, it can be done after that.  But starting out with a mode that people will most likely be disappointed in from the start is a good way of making it fail before it can truly begin.  so if you have any suggestions on how you think it should work, that is why I created this thread.

• Re: How the Battle Royal Should work.  Ideas and Suggestions. Your opinion matters.
    Juju8212

I respectfully,  but totally disagree. I don't think taking a group of 6 of any clan with more than 10 members is a true representation of a clan. I could see if they made clans work in groups of 6 in order for the game battles to count, but what clan couldn't come up with 6 above average players? How can only 6 people with alternates accurately reflect an entire clan?

I do think that having winners continue to move on until there is only 1 clan for each bracket left would be a great idea, although a very time consuming one that would truly test dedication and skill.

I'd like to see it be something where maybe 4 game modes are picked and the clan you can get the most number of wins in a certain amount of time move onto brackets,  playing in the lobbies of the clans they are competing against,  maybe in best of 5 format move on until there is only 1 left.  The problem is that would be a logistical nightmare and trying to get multiple clans to compete against other clans would be a very hard task to accomplish.

I'm not really sure what exactly they will do,  but I am excited to see a new level of competing, and,  at the very least, I hope they include nodes for all game modes if nothing else.

The one thing I do like is the thought of all divisions being able to opt in. My clan is good enough to be Diamond, but too new to have earned the wins required to compete.

• Re: How the Battle Royal Should work.  Ideas and Suggestions. Your opinion matters.
      Jeremysmokin420

But then it comes back to Large Clans Spamming to move forward and win.  If you have a clan with 60 members, that's 10 full lobbies they can participate in.  They will rack up more wins and be able to move forward easier than a single clan of six who is only able to participate in one lobby at a time.  I understand the points you make, but if that is the case, then we may as well not have a "Battle Royal" and just continue Clan Wars as normal. 

Juju8212

They Don't count the wins if clan members are on opposing sides to prevent spamming. I disagree with the statement you made about not doing it at all and am a little confused because what's the point in asking for other opinions if your going to turn around and say don't do it at all when they differ from yours?  I understand that's your opinion but again,  I don't think that would be a fair or accurate depiction of a clans true ability, but is more of tournament style team play and that's not what clan wars is about.  Let me ask you this. .. If you were in a clan of let's say 50, and you didn't get picked for the primary or back up rosters, how would you feel about it then? A lot of people would feel left out.  A battle Royale should be big and grand,  not shrunken down, and not be made into pick your favorite clan members.

Also,  if clans compete in the same bracket sizes,  then a clan of 6 going up against a clan of 60 is irrelevant.

Jeremysmokin420

A clan is not about a single individual.  If I were left out of the primary and secondary, It wouldn't bother me because the clan isn't composed of just me.  If there are players that would ensure the success of the clan, even without my participation, I would be ok with it because if my clan succeeds, I succeed. As for the "may as well not do it at all" comment, it comes down to this.  They are the ones wanting to do something different, but is it truly going to be different, or are they just claiming it is going to be different? If it isn't different, then there is no reason to hold a Battle Royal at all. And that is just logically speaking. As for "They Don't count the wins if clan members are on opposing sides to prevent spamming", that is called boosting.  Not spamming.  Spamming is when a clan of 60, composing 10 full lobbies, attack the same node to ensure a capturing of a node in a matter of one game apiece(if they all win, otherwise, it may take two). Boosting would be your own clan filling a lobby of 12 and playing each other.  A win is automatic because you don't lose points for losing, but you do gain points for winning.

Like my sports metaphor, you have a basketball team, composing 30 players.  Who plays, how many plays, who are second string?  It is the same thing.  Everybody is part of the team, and everybody reaps the rewards of success as well.  A benched player will still earn a ring for their team winning the championship.

And that is what a debate is.  Opposing views coming together to either sway each others opinions towards yours, or compromising and meeting in the middle. Though, without debate, what could be great ideas dwindle into the shadows.

Juju8212

Thanks for letting me know the difference,  I had heard that (incorrectly) referred to as spamming previously. I'm really surprised to hear it referred to negatively like that because it is a very effective strategy.

I agree with what you said about a single individual, but I also think in most cases it's also not a single team of 6 either.  I guess it makes me think of the old saying "you're only strong as your weakest player".

I think it's great that it wouldn't bother you to be left out, but for some I'm sure it would (whether they are willing to admit it or not). I also think that picking the rosters has the potential to cause issues within clans.

I think what you're proposing would fit really well with very competitive clans but I'm not sure that it fits for everyone, especially casual clans.

I wish there were more details available on how they plan on organizing the event,  especially since we're less than a week out. I really like the idea of taking the top clans from the leader boards and placing them into brackets based on clan size and going from there.  If you're in the top 25, 50, 100, whatever number they decide then obviously your clan is active and performing well. 

I still think the true test would be to have clan vs. Clan,  not the game mode,  but rather regular lobbies so there aren't restrictions. My clan may have no problem winning in 50 lobbies full of random but might lose when we go against another clan that has the teamwork and communication aspects down like we do.

jauwkit

I personally fell that BR should not be limited to a large clan and should be available to all bracket sizes ... but in order to get in you should have at least won 4 DD in 1st place to even get an invite into BR....limiting clan sizes will only cause an uproar on the community and may result in other unthinkables...also another idea would be that only the top 50 clans in DD leaderbords should be invited removing them altogether from DD and putting them into BR ....just ideas.....either way this really needs to be looled at again and give everyone a fair chance /shot at this...especially if you put blood sweat and tears intovthe game we all love ...

jnikoley

Seems to me that you are bashing something before you even know what it will be. The only official details on the Battle Royale are in the COD app News Feed.  The only things confirmed for Battle Royale are that it is a new type of Clan War, for Diamond Division for ALL DD clans. I don't see Beachhead reversing what they've already officially announced, so no they won't change it to a non war bracketed elimination championship like you want, or expand it to Platinum.  That doesn't mean there isn't room for your ideas. However, since what you seem to want is so different from what was announced already, I would suggest you either start a separate thread on your championship idea, or present constructive ideas using the official BR announced framework as a starting point.