27 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2011 9:21 AM by unevenfish RSS

Nerf-did-ed weapons in MW3? :(

http://www.modernwarfare3forum.com/topic/6013-list-of-all-mw3-weapons-screenshot s-and-description/

Stated here that the ACR6.8 will be less accurate than in MW2 due to "extra recoil and idle sway" being introduced. Can anyone confirm or deny this? The ACR is what I'm most excited about (in terms of weapons), so my little heart is breaking . I am ok with the idle sway, but why would they add "EXTRA" recoil? The ACR was far from over-powered in MW2. Besides, I play Hardcore; where almost everything is as equally powerful.

I am also somewhat of a gun nut, so I know (last time I checked) the 6.8 isn't even out yet in real life, and is obviously slated to be a higher caliber weapon than the 5.7 (which is, I believe what MW2 represented). However, higher caliber does not always mean higher recoil!

I have a couple theories on why they did this:

A) They wanted a reason for people to use their new weapon proficiencies

B) They knew I loved the ACR and they're jerks who wanted to break my heart.

tl;dr

Any news on gun performance changes? Also, confirmed sources?

• Nerf-did-ed weapons in MW3? :(
    AirborneI

The recoil and sway has been added across the board. No more laser beams.

• Re: Nerf-did-ed weapons in MW3? :(
    butters1320

The ACR had practically no recoil in MW2. You could pretty snipe people all the way across the map with it. The game takes place in 2016 so I'm sure the 6.8 version of the ACR would be out by then. I'm sure they added the recoil to balance the gun out better. Look on the bright side, at the ACR is in multiplayer. Thats more than what I can say about my MP5k.

butters1320 wrote:

The game takes place in 2016 so I'm sure the 6.8 version of the ACR would be out by then.

Yeah I understand. My complaint wasn't that the gun is "assumed" or that it's not "out yet", but my complaint is that since the gun isn't made yet, they don't KNOW if the gun has higher recoil, so that's not a valid argument for them to make.

It was done for balance, no guns in CoD games have lifelike recoil, it just sounds like you are unhappy that the ACR is no longer a laser gun, a bit of recoil is healthy.

"Herp sounds like your unhappy blah blah blah DERP!"

Why are you being a douche nozzle? I asked a simple question and wasn't condecsending at all.

It's this simple, bro-dozer: If they change our favorite guns too much, they cease to be our favorite guns. Get it? Not because of your unfounded falsified sci-fi laser gun comment. Understand, kid? Grow up.

I also enjoy the bolt action sniper rifles and they have more recoil than anything else in the game.

"A bit of recoil is healthy"

What are you some kind of video game doctor who gets to decide how everyone else gets to play? I'm fairly certain my questions were straight forward:

"Any news on gun performance changes? Also, confirmed sources?"

And not:

"Can someone explain why they did what they did? Also, give me your opinions on what would make these guns funner to use, and make assumptions on my reasoning."

Edit:

Also, "No guns in CoD games have lifelike recoil"

False. I've personally shot a number of the guns in COD games (including the semi-auto version of the ACR), and in my opinion the games' representation of the recoil is more than fair. Does the game have "life cloning recoil physics"? No. But lifeLIKE? Yes.

Do you complain about laser weapons in games such as Star Wars, Fallout, Halo, etc since we don't know how laser weapons really act?  http://kcsr.org/images/smilies/smilielol.gifhttp://kcsr.org/images/smilies/thumb.gif

butters1320

Well to be fair it is a video game and they take all kinds of liberties with the weapons. Sometimes the recoil isn't the same as it's real life counterpart or maybe they take features from two different variants of the same weapon.

The 6.8 ACR is in fact in use.  It's not in full blown production yet as the Army is still testing it along with a few other top prospects to replace the M4/M16A4 (can't remember which).  Regardless, a weapon with zero recoil (especially in hardcore!) and has pin point accuracy like a friggin' laser gun is not what they are looking to achieve in MW3.  They added idle sway to all weapons, even pistols, and each has it's own amount of recoil based on damage, fire rate, clip size, handling, time to ADS, etc.

But I do agree with you on one thing. They are ALL out to get YOU.  The multi million dollar corporation is dead set on breaking "jacob_RADIO's" heart. Be warned, son...

The MP5 for CoD4 is back at least. And the PP90 smg is very close to the MP5K in BLOPS so it's not totally gone. I rather liked the MP5k as well, in the beginning at least. Then I unlock others and come back to it here and there.

I know this is old, but I'm not on here every day like some people...

I just have to say, you know the "they're out to get me" comment was sarcasm, right? I mean, text doesn't always translate to what the writer intends in the minds of the readers, especially when it's hard for someone to read a complete sentance. However, it's pretty clear that nobody really thinks the game makers are doing something to spite one player that they've never heard of. You do understand that nobody thinks like that, right? I mean NOBODY.

It stands to reason that since you bothered to make the comment, you don't understand that. But I hope that after reading this comment, you now understand how retarded you look when making a serious retort to a highly sarcastic statement.

The only thing that would make this game perfect is making noob tubes a perk like in cod4. It was a legit idea and they never went back to it....

the acr was soo gay it had no recoil at all so all the dickeaters used it so they could aim

iamhollywood5

lmao =) maybe could have worded that a little better but agree =)

I like how they added recoil and sway too all guns.  MW2 guns took no skill to use.  My guess is that when using the 'Kick' proficiency on the ACR 6.8 it will reduce the recoil to MW2 style recoil but you still have sway and you have to give up some other sweet proficiencies.  I like it, it's balanced, shows that they are actually thinking this time around.

I used the M4 and the ACR equally. You must be a **** eater as well, because you used the ACR; don't deny it, everyone who played MW2 used the ACR.

Perhaps there is hope, that Mw3 will not turn out like Mw2(terrible).

mickilla

No guarantees, but I think they were trying to suggest that no weapon would ever be completely free of either sway OR recoil. You'll always have at least a little of BOTH. You can use a proficiency to lower one, but the other will still be there. In the case of assault rifles the proficiency that lets you hold breath (like the snipers) may temporarily remove both, but probably only for long enough to get one burst out.

At least I hope that's the case. I mean really, isn't it enough that you get one guaranteed handicap? What sort of mindless sub-human really needs two?

...who am I kidding? MW2 attracted every brain-damaged, stillborn, hunk of rotting carrion just for the reason that it had derpy enough weapons that even they could find a way to make a kill or two. I mean really, you look at the loadouts some of these creatures put together and you wonder if they put themselves into an iron lung, just because breathing is too bothersome a chore for them. I really, really hope that MW3 will finally send them a wake up call that says "Don't want to actually outperform another player and earn a kill? Too bad, no kill for you."

Not everyone plays hardcore. On core, the low power was no problem as it was literally a laser beam and every bullet would hit. Every weapon should have a lot more recoil and idle sway, the weapons in MW2 were sooo easy to use it became boring.

Although, for me the ACR 6.8 still looks like my weapon of choice. It still looks pretty accurate, it looks pretty high powered and it looks beautifully modelled. Iron sights alos look very tidy.

Steve2589

I used to really like the ACR then my style of play changed in Black Ops where I favoured SMGs and the quicker firing (but not as powerful) Assault Rifles. Going back to MW2 I prefer to use UMP45 and TAR-21 so I'm not too fussed about the ACR however I will admit the most desirable thing about it was its accuracy and as its damage is pretty crap in comparison it kind of makes it a useless choice.

But we will have to see, who knows if the damage on the ACR has been increased maybe it will be worth trying out.

All of the guns I've seen across every teaser/trailer/XP video look good. Most notably, the AK-47 seems to have to taken a step up from its MW2 predecessor (if you could even call that joke of a gun an AK). I still prefer the Black Ops variant overall, but I've adopted a "wait and see" mentality as far as multiplayer goes.

All of the guns I've seen across every teaser/trailer/XP video look good. Most notably, the AK-47 seems to have to taken a step up from its MW2 predecessor (if you could even call that joke of a gun an AK). I still prefer the Black Ops variant overall, but I've adopted a "wait and see" mentality as far as multiplayer goes.

Yeah no doubt. The ACR is completely jacked.

This is what me and my clan call "Modern Ops".

Basicly MW2 is camp friendly and MW3 is for people who like to run alot.

Take your pick but MW2 is home for me.

Yeah no doubt. The ACR is completely jacked.

This is what me and my clan call "Modern Ops".

Basicly MW2 is camp friendly and MW3 is for people who like to run alot.

Take your pick but MW2 is home for me.

The sway and the recoil for all the guns is just a couple of the things that added or altered to create a more realistic game. With the ACR, the gun is smaller then the last so its understandable why with their vision of a future gun includes downsizeing at the same time as increaseing power. Also when you add these factors to a gun, it's probably going to kick a little more.