37 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2011 5:17 PM by [pde]paulkersey RSS

There CAN Be Unlocks On Unranked Servers - Server Admin Decision

[pde]paulkersey

Ok. So far, 402 has responded *again* above in the FAQ that we will have the possibility of unlocks on the Unranked servers. That's one down and 2 more to go - well, I'm still confused if this means we can also rank up in Unranked servers or is it only up to the admin that we have all unlocks from the start or what.

[quote]Are Dedicated Servers Ranked or UnRanked?

Only matchmaking to public games are Ranked (meaning, you have to rank up to unlock weapons to rank on the leaderboards), choosing to play on a Dedicated Server is UnRanked. Meaning unlocks are completely controlled by the Server Admin. They can choose to unlock everything or limit class restrictions to whatever they like to fully customize the experience. You do not have to rank up in Public games to have access to weapons in Dedicated Servers, you have complete control over what is unlocked for you in a Unranked Dedicated Server.[/quote]

The last two main importances:

- 32 player max (which includes 18) on *Dedicated Servers*, not IWNET. We can always have admins and/or private slots for them and we don't have to kick players from our servers for being constantly full

- Anti-Cheat (I don't know if VAC is safe enough so this remains to be seen - we saw what happened in the past)

We need clarity on these and this will be a start.

• Re: There CAN Be Unlocks On Unranked Servers - Server Admin Decision

I  can see this being a huge success now. COD4 modded servers running modwarfare (a mod which does exactly this) were huge when the game first came out, as it was so Admin-friendly. After all, this is exactly what admins have been wishing for during Black Ops - it negates having to kick a player for using a weapon/perk they didn't want on a server. Now, they can simply turn all the crap they don't want off.

• There CAN Be Unlocks On Unranked Servers - Server Admin Decision
    To clarify Unranked Dedicated Servers on PC. Admin has full control of unlocks. Can unlock all or fully customize whats unlocked in #MW3

http://twitter.com/#!/fourzerotwo/status/127457422305542144

kawz

Things are looking up.  Waaay up!

[pde]paulkersey

Even though that option is better than not having it at all, it would be kinda fun to rank up still

So we will be able to play 32 players on dedicated servers? 16 vs 16? Or is 18 max?

[pde]paulkersey

This probably means that we don't complete achievements on an Unranked server either or what?

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Unless my understanding is incorrect, there is a whole different progression system. The Challenges and Achievements are the same as in Ranked but when you unlock it on Ranked mode it isnt completed or unlocked on unranked mode. I'm thinking that its sort of similiar to the online/offline progressions available for the console versions of MW2. Only now we can set our own restrictions on weapons and unlocks. This system seems ideal to me, this all speculation, so I don't know, but if it was this system I think that it'd be the system PC players want.

Even so, it doesn't matter to me as I'll be hosting a Promod Rules SD server and I don't want or need the level progression just the guns

{bhc}max|co

We  @ {BHC}Rangers have commited ourselves to renting one of these dedis ( a few weeks ago from www.gtxgaming.co.uk ), so we will give it a bash to see how it all pans out..

If i'm reading right

I as an admin will be able to (enable) all weapons and perks ?

So anyone joining us for some mw3 fun, can then use any weapon / attatchments/ or perks from day 1 without having to "earn" them..

this is simillar to how we run our cod4 mw2 mod, all weapons/ perks  are available from level 1.

So this way is no big deal, the way i look at it is this, iwnet will fail coz haxors wont be admined out of games.. but on our server any haxors appear will be banned by admins,

remember no matter the anti cheat used, there will ALWAYS be haxors , even now on cod4 were manually banning new ones daily , some weve submitted to pbbans and  GGC.

As long as servers are hosted with a GSP ( and not by some 12 year old on his pc), then i guess i'll learn to like mw3

ps my bo server lasted 2x months before ditching it,reaching level 36,  mw2 i got to level 24 before giving up, cod4 i have nearly 3000 hours on xfire gameplay (not counting first half year of cod4 when i didnt have xfire) wonder how far i'll get on mw3 hmmmm

[pde]paulkersey

Also, for the people complaning about not having Ranked Dedicated Servers for leaderboards, Unranked may have been the way to go for the fact that we have choice and freedom as opposed to Ranked Dedis. If they were Ranked, we would've had to play the Xbox 360 way on PC. A lot of us been on these forums ever since MW2 trying to get back to the PC way.

To add to that, we probably would've had one exclusive server provider once again which means no server files for us at all. Why? They set the game up in a certain nature to be played just like that and only like that from the get go and they don't want any modification of files because they want to protect leaderboards and such (something most of us never cared about).

This (Unranked servers) is the trade off to getting closer to the CoD4 way. I'd rather take the trade off than play on a Ranked, Xbox 360 ruled, Dedicated Server provided by one company. Black Ops is a perfect example of a restrictive, limited, console styled game.

If players would take the time to use a server browser properly, they will find out that there are many different servers to their liking. There's not just one type of server like there is with one console limited IWNET. Servers can cater to all types while IWNET can only cater to one limited type - and that's the Xbox 360 way.

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Bravo, well put. I'm just fine with unranked servers. They need to clarify how we choose weapons/perks/killstreaks on unranked? Do we have a ModWarfare like ingame menu system? Is there a seperate progression and we have to load up a differnt mode to access our stuff? there is absolutely no clarity in what we're getting in these servers. Why can't there be a seperate progression for unranked? MW2 had a seperate progression for offline on console. Does the same concept not apply?

[pde]paulkersey

That's exactly what I'm wondering also

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor wrote:

Bravo, well put. I'm just fine with unranked servers. They need to clarify how we choose weapons/perks/killstreaks on unranked? Do we have a ModWarfare like ingame menu system? Is there a seperate progression and we have to load up a differnt mode to access our stuff? there is absolutely no clarity in what we're getting in these servers. Why can't there be a seperate progression for unranked? MW2 had a seperate progression for offline on console. Does the same concept not apply?

1. Modwarfare-type menus where you have to build your class each time you come to a server. No way to save your class.

2. No way to make unlocking progressive out of the box. Later on, when (and I don't say if) mod tools come out, mods will obviously be able to put a progressive feature into it. But then I would imagine mod servers will add a third tier to the system, so that we have matchmaking, regular unranked dedicated servers, and mod dedicated servers.

3. They could have made it so that there was an internal progressive ranking system similar to Spec Ops mode. There is nothing in the game engine that would preclude that. Why they didn't do it that way will always remain a mystery.

[pde]paulkersey

That #1 is scaring me. I don't want anything related to that. I want my classes made and edited outside of the server and saved that way. When I come to a server, I want to pick my already made class slot, pick a side, and go to war.

These guys, fourzerotwo and IW, needs to give much more clarification on this.

[pde]paulkersey wrote:

That #1 is scaring me. I don't want anything related to that. I want my classes made and edited outside of the server and saved that way. When I come to a server, I want to pick my already made class slot, pick a side, and go to war.

These guys, fourzerotwo and IW, needs to give much more clarification on this.

You wont be able to save your class offline. What if you have such-and-such a perk in your saved class, and you go to a server which has disabled it? There is nothing to "take it away" from you and stop you using it. This is the drawback with saved classes vs dvars to turn stuff on/off.

If you haven't ever played any modwarfare-based mods (such as my AWE4 for example), I suggest you go see how it works. It's not as bad as it first sounds. Takes but a moment or two to actually build your class each time.

But the fact remains that standard MW3 Multiplayer must be played on IWNet.

And for most the ranking is more fun then playing with all weapons unlocked.

And about clarity :

The list given by 402 is not written to give people the full picture of what exactly can be expected when buying PC MW3.

"While combining it with your favorite features from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare"

"In-game Server Browser that allows you to filter by ping, map, gametype, hardcore, voice, password, and more."

Excuse me... but IWNET doesn't have servers.

And idd, a few lines further down it says:

" Modern Warfare 3 supports  matchmaking as well as Dedicated Servers..."

Why not write that IWNet ( < this name doesn't get used anymore) is back in and again matchmaking only.

It the same old IW story; it's written to deceive people.

It is intended to be this chaotic incomplete list.

And I believe the MW3 dedicated servers won't be the dedi's most of you are thinking to get.

It are those simplistic in-game player dedi's.

www.mapmodnews.com

{bhc}max|co

claireclaws wrote:

And I believe the MW3 dedicated servers won't be the dedi's most of you are thinking to get.

This is MY biggest worry now,  i've repeadadly asked Bowling/schofield/condroy this question.

Q.Can MY TRUSTED GSP run mw3 servers. ? or do I host on MY pc?..

guess what? no answer

coz the way they have stated things on twitter and announcements, this has not been made clear yet,in plain english.

we know server files "come with disc" we know we can "host on our OWN hardware",

my fear is hundreds of servers run from home pc's somehow boosted by iwnet or some other way..(lets face it,a home run server is a BIG NO-NO)

Whats to stop a gsp using the server files shipped on the disc? i to have a pre order with gtxgaming and my clan are now totally confused as to what to do i want to play mw3 but i'm so tired of being screwed over by iw/activision.Max i've been on your mw2 server and it's pretty cool

scs_scarecrow wrote:

Whats to stop a gsp using the server files shipped on the disc? i to have a pre order with gtxgaming and my clan are now totally confused as to what to do i want to play mw3 but i'm so tired of being screwed over by iw/activision.Max i've been on your mw2 server and it's pretty cool

GSPs will get the dedicated server files the same way we do - off the disc/from Steam/tools. Then they will setup all their servers from there. There will be rentable servers from day 1 of release.

Don't worry - your order with gtxgaming is safe; there wont be any nasty surprises come launch day.

{bhc}max|co wrote:

claireclaws wrote:

This is MY biggest worry now,  i've repeadadly asked Bowling/schofield/condroy this question.

Q.Can MY TRUSTED GSP run mw3 servers. ? or do I host on MY pc?..

guess what? no answer

coz the way they have stated things on twitter and announcements, this has not been made clear yet,in plain english.

we know server files "come with disc" we know we can "host on our OWN hardware",

my fear is hundreds of servers run from home pc's somehow boosted by iwnet or some other way..(lets face it,a home run server is a BIG NO-NO)

Yes, we will be able to rent servers from any GSP who supports MW3.

The reason why it was worded like that: "host on our own hardware", is because there are a hell of a lot of clans who OWN their own dedicated boxes. They don't rent - they OWN their own server blade hosted in a data centre. These are the people who were most vocal about the 1 GSP deal for Black Ops - they said "why should we rent from a GSP when we own our own dedicated server?" These are the people the wording are directed at.

{bhc}max|co

I hope so....

also

been thinking about this situ,

We all know iwnet failed on mw2, but they (iw), have probably invested millions setting iwnet up. Hopefully they have learned their lessons on mw2, and now with mw3,  iwnet will be an improvement gameplay wise.. (if not then there is no reason not to go back to the old way on next cod),

this alone is probably why we dont have ranked dedicated servers,(if we did,who would play iwnet? no -one)

We really should be greatful we now have servers we can admin properly, hopefully a workaround or patch will increase sizes to either 24 or 32.

So altho my first insticnt was to "blow my top" , ive calmed down a bit, and again looking forward to mw3's sp missions and hopefully a decent mp experience

{BHC}Max @ www.bhc-rangers.com

[pde]paulkersey

hehe this is why I let people like you buy the game and be the tester, just like last year with Black Ops. I bought it, but never opened it. I checked the net and saw all of the complaints, videos, server restrictions, and feedback for a week and I took it right back with the receipt.

5 hour singleplayers isn't enough to spend $60 and they could care less how we play multiplayer. They want us to be down with the Xbox 360 way. They hype us up and then give us things that turn us off. This current setup may be better than Black Ops, but it seems they don't want to give us the true CoD4 way with rank progression and saved classes because they truly WANT us to play IWNET.

They act like they don't know what CoD4 is. If they have forgotten, they need to check it and not just throw out key words to people on the fence. We aren't attached to leaderboards, we are not attached to Elite, we won't have any way to ruin what they wanted with that system, but they still have to punish us somehow. We are still penalized by having to create a class everytime we join a server? Why can't it just be simple?

We, as PC players should never preorder ANY CoDs to give Activision that pride and that extra bump in sales from us. We should at least stand back and see. I'm not telling you guys how to spend your money at all, but I'm also tired of being played with.

This system may be better than Black Ops, but, it's no CoD4. lol penalized because we don't want to play an Xbox...

Note: All current devs play CoD on an Xbox. Their mindset will be Xbox.

Tally, you don't know this.

They use the term "own hardware" because they mean own hardware.  And not a dedi-box.

Because if you mean dedi-box you write dedi-box.

And btw where in the Fourzerotwo list you read the word "clan" ?

All is written like talking to one individual.

People don't mind renting from a GSP as long it is like a CoD4 dediserver.  With FTP access.

www.mapmodnews.com

[pde]paulkersey

Dante2010, I would like to know some feedback and info about how the servers are done. I need to contact you after you have the game. You drop that info off at PDElite.net either in the MW3 forums there or in the chatbox on the frontpage