• Gameplay Update - Feb 3

An often cited feature request made to me is to use the currently unused D-Pad down to allow users to switch between any killstreaks they have earned. Now you know why, in part, our in-game HUD UI even shows all 4 ...
    created by vahn
  • Understanding the First Strike Playlist Rotation

Hi, I am getting some good questions on the topic of how the playlists work with First Strike. It is frankly too long to explain well in 140 characters on Twitter. If you own First Strike you will be joined in a...
    created by vahn
  • Update - Jan 19 - Part 3 of 4

Hiya- A few days ago, we've submitted version 1.06 to both Microsoft and Sony for certification testing. My co-workers in production are working to get the list together and with a bit of luck we will update the st...
    created by vahn
  • Gameplay Update - Jan 12 - Part 2 of 4

Since last week, we've made a few more gameplay changes. If they clear QA will appear in the next update. Second Chance gets a scoring overhaul. If you shoot the guy and he falls into Second Chance you will get...
    created by vahn
  • Gameplay Update (version 1.06 and beyond)

I had hoped by this time in the game life-cycle we would be engaged in a series of constructive debates about the game tuning. Tweaking a few things one way or the other. These are some of the key things on our min...
    created by vahn
  • Hard freeze - is this caused by lots of explosions?

I get asked a lot, "What are you doing about the freeze?"  The truth is that people continue to use the term "freeze" to mean different things so I don't know how to reply. One freeze is not the same as another. ...
    created by vahn
  • Naming Issues - how to help

The PS3 community uses a variety of names for the top issues impacting them. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this actually makes things harder for us to understand, not easier. For example, I've heard this a lot...
    created by vahn
  • Router Testing - Getting an Open NAT

Although I don't expect anyone to go out and purchase a new router just to play Black Ops, I did want to take a few minutes and share some test results. Some users have reported that Black Ops will report something...
    created by vahn
  • NAT Type: Open in MW2; Moderate in Black Ops-is this you?

If you are: (1) one of those people who have reported that MW2 says the NAT is OPEN but BLACKOPS says the NAT is MODERATE (2) you are using the "Start MP by Default" option (3) have a UPnP router (as confirmed b...
    created by vahn
  • Post your XMB Network Results Here

Hello, We are building up our infrastructure capacities to get better testing simulation of real world Internet. I would consider it a personal favor if you posted your XMB network test results here. We need a v...
    created by vahn
  • Official "Infinite Loading" Problem Thread

Hello, This is the official thread for tracking down the root cause of what some community members refer to as the "freeze."  In order to cleanly identify this problem from any others, I am calling it the "Inf...
    created by vahn
  • Board problems staying logged in?

Hello, Sorry for slightly off-topic spam. After the recent forum upgrades, I was having problems staying logged in. Others were reporting that problem as well. I primary use Firefox (3.6.12 - and updated ever...
    created by vahn
  • Knife Changes? Probably, but read this first

We've made some changes to the knife tunables that will be available in the next game update. We are not currently planning to remove the lunge, make the knife a 2 hit kill in the front, or make you pull it out to ...
    created by vahn
  • Playing with Friends vs Auto Team Balance

@pcdev and I have been discussing the best way to manage the desire to play with Friends vs the overwhelming need to attempt to keep teams even so players don't abandon servers. First off, a party based system like...
    created by vahn
  • "Everyone..." and you.

Hey forum community, I get a lot of this. "EVERYONE says ... " or "EVERYONE believes ..." This isn't even remotely true. Not everyone is on Twitter or belongs to the message boards. It's really not a good way to...
    created by vahn
  • PC Issues

Hello- I've generally been the sort that says if I don't have any information it's best to not say anything, but that can get translated incorrectly as being disinterested. When people are upset, they want answ...
    created by vahn
  • Glitchers, Hackers, Modders, Exploits

This is going to be my one and only statement on this topic, so pay attention. I got Twitbombed today from dozens of people the same 2 links. Some are people using old dashboards or old versions of the game. Others...
    created by vahn
  • Regional Matchmaking on the PS3 (What really happened)

I am sorry for the confusion today on Regional Matchmaking. It's a long story. Short version: Someone was sending me angry Tweets demanding why we lied that the PS3 did not have regional matchmaking. We had alr...
    created by vahn
  • Why I am not as worried about Tac Insert as you

Hello, We love Tac Insert. It does a few things for the game strategy.  A well organized team of Tac Insert user can roll the competition in Demo. It's grand, really, and how it should be. Counter by organizin...
    created by vahn
  • Game launch is near; what to expect next

As we get close to ship, some of the development team leadership from the design, art, animation, and other departments will be fanning out across the world to places as far away as London, Tokyo, Paris, Stockholm, Am...
    created by vahn