1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply: May 19, 2009 4:12 AM by SHADOWLINK3880 Go to original post RSS
  • 40. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    KaotikMenace
    Microsoft is and will never have anything for "free"
  • 41. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?

KaotikMenace wrote:

Microsoft is and will never have anything for "free"

It is called business, and it you intend to stay "in it", you've got to generate revenue.

Sony is hurting because they are the weakest selling console and have only one thing unique to offer....BluRay.

If they had created a Pay to Play network and invested some money into development, they'd be much better off.

Right now they're still just trying to market an overweight BluRay player that can get a small handful of unique titles. Most of which aren't even worth playing.
  • 42. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    NatsuTerran
    All I can say is that every pc game I have played with free online has had the best community. Games that require subscriptions such as World of Warcraft and Xbox titles generally have the trashiest communities. I swear I just want to take a brick to the face of half the people I meet on live (and these forums). Free doesn't mean less quality. PC games don't have a host advantage. And PC games let you create servers, which is far superior to any form of matchmaking.
  • 43. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?

NatsuTerran wrote:

All I can say is that every pc game I have played with free online has had the best community. Games that require subscriptions such as World of Warcraft and Xbox titles generally have the trashiest communities. I swear I just want to take a brick to the face of half the people I meet on live (and these forums). Free doesn't mean less quality. PC games don't have a host advantage. And PC games let you create servers, which is far superior to any form of matchmaking.

you also play with the best cheaters on the planet.
    All the best modders play on PC
  • 44. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?

splittinwigs wrote:

NatsuTerran wrote:

you also play with the best cheaters on the planet.
    All the best modders play on PC

That guy clearly hasn't played enough online PC games.
    The ones that charge have the worst communities, because they're the largest.
    The cheapskates are the minority, playing shitty games that don't cost much, if anything.

The online community is a reflection of the world. We're going to have a vast majority who are idiots. The rest of us just have to band together to stomp on their faces.
  • 45. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    AKGB
    I would rather pay 50 bucks a year cause that forces them to do work on the dashboard or else we take them to the BBB. If we stop handing over cash to them it will end up worse than wii/Ps3 dashboards.
  • 46. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    Born 0n Board
    Simply put, no.

Any service that requires large amounts of money to operate and maintain should not be free. Frankly this is how it is, perhaps you fail to realize this.

Whenever someone who lacks proper knowledge of matters like these say "the big corporations have enough money", they fail to understand the underlining principle. Big companies have lots of money, and at the same time they need lots of money to run the company. As with any company, divisions and products are ONLY run when they generate profit. If something is no longer profitable, it ceases to run. Thus with Microsoft Xbox Live would cease if it were free.

Then there is the complaint that PS3 Online is free. Well Microsoft first of all is still losing money with the Xbox franchise. Thus, they still need to make money to get out of the whole for Xbox. Secondly, PS3 online is free right? Xbox Live costs money? Which of the two is acclaimed by most to be of higher quality? Xbox Live is, it has an overall superior online interface and online system to PS3.

And last but not least, services just aren't free. Internet is paid for, home phone, cable or any extended media subscription. I am also not entirely sure as to why you would post this thread in this particular forum, seeing as this is for the general discussion of World at War related topics.
  • 47. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    darthpetale
    i havent read thro this thread but id rather pay for xbox live than have a crappy free serxice like psn..
  • 48. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    GlenDiablo
    Id rather pay 50euro a year for a verygood online service like LIVE than pay nothing and have a **** online service like PSN. But I would like it if they gave a free month every now and again!
  • 49. Re: Should Xbox Live be free?
    AstroboyGoneMad
    Long term Microsoft will asceed to the Sony PS3 system of no charge for online play. PS has the added feature of HD Blue Ray play. But I gotta side with your first responder. You have my support for free XBox Live.

This will make absolutely no difference to Microsoft, even if you get a million such votes. Get real! What are you some sort of communist? MS is making a fortune off these fees. NO amount of money is enough! If you think they make "too much" start investing in their stock. Perhaps then you'll relaize how our market based capitalist system works. They make as much money as possible for their stockholders. To give away XBox Live absent a compelling competitive strategy would violate their fiduciary responsibilities to their owners (stockholders) and lenders. That spells lawsuits.

Anyway, I rant. After you get us all free XBox Live can you get me free health care, then free food, then free electricity, then free water. Same are getting a large part of their mortgages written down by Fed programs. So I want my share on free housing too. Once you've tackled all those let's get rid of the bluse stipes on the flag & stick my favorite color red.

Whoops who won that cold war thing?
1 3 4 5 6 7 Previous Next