1 2 3 Previous Next 160 Replies Latest reply: Aug 12, 2012 6:46 PM by ChestSplittah RSS

Primitive backpacking

reaper2792
So me and a friend are going primitive backpacking in the Catskills on March 20. We plan to stay 3-4 nights. If you dont know, primitive backpacking/camping is when you go into the woods away from trails and civilization with minimal supplies. We are bring sleeping bags but no tent, very little food and water and no forms of communication.

So has anybody ever done anything like this before? I've gone camping plenty of times but always at sites. Do you suggest i bring a gun? Im just wondering what supplies anybody recommends in case i forgot anything. The catskills are home to 1200-2000 black bears but im not too worried about them, im more worried about a creepy family living in some cabin in the middle of nowhere. Those movies never end good.
  • 1. Re: Primitive backpacking
    CloudTM
    If your taking very little food, I suggest taking a gun, you might starve otherwise.
  • 2. Re: Primitive backpacking
    reaper2792

    CloudTM wrote:

     

    If your taking very little food, I suggest taking a gun, you might starve otherwise.




    yea, we were hoping to pull off some bear grylles-type traps for food. That and fishing should be enough. I'll eat bugs if i have too. I guess the gun will have to be a last minute decision.
  • 3. Re: Primitive backpacking
    Make sure you take a gun with at least 2 bullets.  Then you and your friend have to decide who kills who and then kills themselves when things go horribly, horribly wrong.  Which they probably will.
  • 4. Re: Primitive backpacking
    CloudTM

    IntoTheVoid wrote:

     

    Make sure you take a gun with at least 2 bullets.  Then you and your friend have to decide who kills who and then kills themselves when things go horribly, horribly wrong.  Which they probably will.


    [sarcasm] That's what I call support!!! [/sarcasm]
  • 5. Re: Primitive backpacking
    Horrorman
    Never thought about to do that as private person...
    I had to do something similar in my Army time. We had to go into the woods, it was kinda a survival training with limited food and water, so i know what awaits you. Good luck (and fun...!?) to that reaper.
  • 6. Re: Primitive backpacking
    MaTtKs
    Sounds like a normal backpacking trip for myself.  I've just recently started heading out by myself and love it.  Here's a pic I snapped while out the other day...

    http://i47.tinypic.com/fc4pwy.jpg


    Thought it turned out rather well for my crap camera phone.

    *Edit* Forgot to mention that the trip in that pic ^ was cut short when I found fresh bear tracks.  I don't eff with bears.

  • 7. Re: Primitive backpacking
    Horrorman
    do you wear some kind of camouflage !? I do not see you
  • 8. Re: Primitive backpacking
    reaper2792

    MaTtKs wrote:

     

    Sounds like a normal backpacking trip for myself.  I've just recently started heading out by myself and love it.  Here's a pic I snapped while out the other day...

    http://i47.tinypic.com/fc4pwy.jpg


    Thought it turned out rather well for my crap camera phone.

    *Edit* Forgot to mention that the trip in that pic ^ was cut short when I found fresh bear tracks.  I don't eff with bears.




    yea, im hoping March 20th is still too early for the bears. And even if they are out then, they wont have energy in them to start chasing us and attacking us. Did you go to a reserve or a mountain range or is that just a local wooded area where you live?
  • 9. Re: Primitive backpacking
    MaTtKs

    reaper2792 wrote:

     

    Did you go to a reserve or a mountain range or is that just a local wooded area where you live?


    That was just the local wilderness...normally I head up to a state park.

    @Horroman:  I was camouflaged behind the camera.

1 2 3 Previous Next