1 2 3 Previous Next 116 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2012 9:19 AM by IKill4_Bacon RSS

"Pro" objective modes - less XP for kills

NickThissen
Hey,

One thing I have missed in Call of Duty since MW1 is a (or multiple) gamemodes where the gameplay is focused solely on the objective. Sure, there are many objective based modes (let's take MW2 as an example) such as Domination, Demolition, Capture the Flag, etc. But one of the biggest problems in MW2 (yes, even bigger then what everyone always whines about) for me is that fact that almost nobody seems to care for the objective.

Most players play Domination for two reasons:
- Enemy spawns are more predictable
- Games take longer

In my opinion, people should play Domination to capture and defend the flags. THAT'S IT. Unfortunately almost nobody seems to think this way... Capturing a point when all three are controlled by the enemy? "No thanks, I'd rather camp here because I'm close to getting my harrier"... I really hate this and there is nothing you can do about it in MW2.

But now, with a new game, I feel like there is something the developers can do about this, and it is a very simple 'fix':

For any objective based game mode, besides the normal gamemode you could also create a 'Pro' variant, where:
1. There are no Kill/Death counters, and
2. You don't get any points (XP or CP) for killing random people.

The K/D ratio is completely useless in objective based gamemodes in my opinion. Who cares if I get 5 kills and 34 deaths? If I captured our point back 7 times and won the match then I feel I did a good job. Obviously, dying 34 times is not going to do my team and the objective much good and I should have played better, but the point is that my exact K/D is not important.

What is important is that you capture or defend objectives. In a Domination game, you could give players a massive amount of XP (to compensate for no XP at all for kills) for capturing an objective. Obviously killing an enemy who is near our objective will also be good for the objective, so award some XP for that as well. A player who is camping on the other side of the map however isn't really helping, and killing him shouldn't give you the same amount of XP (in my opinion: none at all) as killing someone who is trying to capture our objective.

My point is: if you take out the K/D ratio's and don't give out XP to random kills (only kills that matter, and much more XP for doing objective based work such as capturing flags), then people will play for the objective instead of for getting easy kills! As I said, at the moment in MW2 most people play Domination because it gives them easy kills. They don't give a rat's *** about the points. If their team loses 30-200 but they get a 40/2 KD they are considered good, even though they contributed nothing to the team objective.

If you want to play for KD then play (Team) Deathmatch..!

If you take out the K/D ratio's and XP for kills then players who don't care about the objective will not play these 'pro' variants of the objective game modes. GOOD! Keep them out! I don't need them in my team because their massive amount of kills hardly contributes to the team objective if all they do is sit in a corner all match.

What do you think?
  • 1. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    Gryphon__
    Sounds like fun to me.
  • 2. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    Hmm .. good idea. But what about having it a little bit like conquest in Battlefield. Capture the areas and if you have more areas than the enemy the enemy's tickets drop rapidly, killing an enemy will cause a drop in the enemies tickets.

That works fine.
  • 3. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    booperdee2
    Read a little, but then saw the wall.

Am i to assume you want theres to be modes that only give xp for objectives then? If the xp gained is monumental, then sure.
  • 4. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    That's actually a really good idea, nobody really plays for the objective in CoD games.
  • 5. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    yce teh chease
    I just read the beginning, but I don't think the idea is the best, as everyone would just run after the objective, and not protect already captured objectives.

my idea to make more ppl go for objectives was a score/deaths ratio, but most people didn't understand it, or wanted the ratio to be kills and deaths only.
  • 6. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    NickThissen

Guggi7 wrote:

Hmm .. good idea. But what about having it a little bit like conquest in Battlefield. Capture the areas and if you have more areas than the enemy the enemy's tickets drop rapidly, killing an enemy will cause a drop in the enemies tickets.

That works fine.

What you're suggesting sounds like a completely new gamemode. While I'm obviously not against that, I am merely suggesting a slight variation on existing gamemodes. This way, people who want to play a more casual game can still play the normal Domination gamemode, while people who care only for the objective like me can play the pro variant and not be bothered by people who don't care about the objective. I am confident that the player base is large enough to divide the players in these groups.

booperdee2 wrote:

Read a little, but then saw the wall.

Am i to assume you want theres to be modes that only give xp for objectives then? If the xp gained is monumental, then sure.

Well I think the XP for capturing and defending points would have to go up a little to compensate for the fact that you get no XP for normal kills. Otherwise you would get much less XP in a pro variant gamemode. That wouldn't really bother me personally, but I'm sure it will keep many players (like you?) out, and I don't want that of course.

aceplace04 wrote:

That's actually a really good idea, nobody really plays for the objective in CoD games.

Thanks.

yce teh chease wrote:

I just read the beginning, but I don't think the idea is the best, as everyone would just run after the objective, and not protect already captured objectives.

my idea to make more ppl go for objectives was a score/deaths ratio, but most people didn't understand it, or wanted the ratio to be kills and deaths only.

Why would nobody defend? Defending (ie: killing playes who are capturing or near to the objective) is certainly good for the objective, so XP should be awarded to you. I'm sure it would balance itself out. In fact, I am even a little afraid most people would not attack and merely defend, because that is much easier. But of course if two teams are defending not much will happen, so people will start to attack sooner or later. Just to be 'sure' however, I think awarding a little less XP to the defending actions (less than attacking, but still much more than currently) could work. I'm sure Treyarch could work out a decent reward system from a bit of playtesting.
  • 7. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    BinaryTox1n
    Wow, great thread. I love this idea. The only problem I see is convincing people to play it. I think common sentiment might be "why would I play a gamemode that will earn me much less experience than the one that gives me XP for objectives AND for kills?" A counter to this could be to increase the amount of experience you get for objectives. Also I think something would have to be worked out for Headquarters, because the one person who "captures" the HQ would really get an asston of points, making it seem unfair to his team who helped him capture.
  • 8. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    o wow, when i read the title "no thanks" went through my head. but then i actually read it haha, and i must say i love this idea
  • 9. Re: "Pro" objective modes - no XP for kills
    TG1405
    Like the idea. Although personally, I'd just give alot more XP to people to capture the points, and less for kills, instead of just removing it entirely.
1 2 3 Previous Next