15 Replies Latest reply: Nov 21, 2010 6:31 PM by Agravain3 RSS

Black Ops crashed my Wii? Will Activision Help?

Yesterday, as I was playing Zombies on Call of Duty: Black Ops for Wii, my Wii apparently "crashed," revealing a message saying "Please eject the disc and turn off the power." I did that, and the game won't even load now. I figured it was just a problem with the disc, so I tried to insert other games and experienced the same problem (Modern Warfare 2, Medal of Honor, Super Paper Mario).

Now nothing works except for channels. Has Black Ops really crashed my Wii? Will Activision Help? 

~Nom~
  • Re: Black Ops crashed my Wii? Will Activision Help?
    kweagle

iNomster wrote:

Yesterday, as I was playing Zombies on Call of Duty: Black Ops for Wii, my Wii apparently "crashed," revealing a message saying "Please eject the disc and turn off the power." I did that, and the game won't even load now. I figured it was just a problem with the disc, so I tried to insert other games and experienced the same problem (Modern Warfare 2, Medal of Honor, Super Paper Mario).

Now nothing works except for channels. Has Black Ops really crashed my Wii? Will Activision Help? 

~Nom~

It is not Activisions fault.   Your disk drive was probably on its way out already.  You need to send it back to Nintendo for repair, about $85.
    You've got MW2 for the Wii.  You must be the only person in the world to have it then. As Kweagle said it was probablt on it's way out anyway.
    FOXtaboo
    My wii did the same thing a month ago while playing MWR.  If you have an older wii they are prone to this issue.  New wiis acutally have some changes to the disk drive to address this issue.

Even though I got that message, I could load this disk back up and it would play sometimes.  Towards the end though it got worse, and actually right now it still works, but we only use it for a netflix box now.

equalizer77 wrote:

You've got MW2 for the Wii.  You must be the only person in the world to have it then. As Kweagle said it was probablt on it's way out anyway.

That's what I meant to say, MWR.

Fox Taboo wrote:

My wii did the same thing a month ago while playing MWR.  If you have an older wii they are prone to this issue.  New wiis acutally have some changes to the disk drive to address this issue.

Even though I got that message, I could load this disk back up and it would play sometimes.  Towards the end though it got worse, and actually right now it still works, but we only use it for a netflix box now.

Yea, that's what we've been using it for since it crashed :/ Do you know if a Lens Cleaner might fix up the problem, even for a little while? I won't be updating my system (from this wii to an X-Box ) till near Christmas Time.
    QeTagh
    Ok I'm going to steal this topic.

For all those who got their Wii fixed:
    What did you do/where did you get information on it?
    I'm not eager to buy a new Wii,
    I've been looking for a new disc drive but I don't know the type I should be searching for.
    Also, how does playing games from USB (legally) work?
    BrownsM1
    I had this problem with MWR back in August with my wii and I just recently got it sent in. since mine got the "Black Screen of Death" I've been using my friends wii and last night it just black screened while playing zombies. I think all the COD games cause the lens to wear down because they constantly read data as you can hear the disc spinning constantly unlike other games including Goldeneye.

your best bet it to try the lens cleaning kit or send it in. I tried the cleaning kit on my wii but it didn't help but I haven't tried it on my friend's wii. but usually this problem means you're going to have to send your wii in to nintendo. also how old is your wii? cause if it's 3 years old like my wii and my friend's wii then your disc drive was about to go out soon anyway. black ops just made it go faster.
    Agravain3
    This happened to my wii, I called Nintendo and had to send it in along with 2 games (used to test your wii) and $75 to get it fixed. I mailed it in Thursday (11-18-10) i hope it comes back real soon

you just have to call nintedo tech support and tell them your issue then they email you all the information and free shipping codes.

let me just say there are a numerous amount of us out there with this issue, its like Smash Bros Brawl all over again. I just hope they can save all my data because I just hit 50 not 1 hour before it died....so ill be so mad if i have to do it all over again. the tech guy said chances are its my disc drive and all they will do is swap in a new one leaving my data un touched.

you cant back CoD up on an SD card so dont be all like "why diddnt you back up your data on an SD card?"

trust me I tried but all the games I cared about cant be copied IE- CoD Mario Kart and Brawl .
    mylilfriend
    I play all of my legal backups from a USB drive. I'd rather have a $60 drive fail than my Wii as much as we use it  Google is your friend on how to do it. It's very simple if you have  4.2 firmware or below. I called Nintendo once because my WM+ attachment failed. No help at all. My suggestion ,get a HD and backup your games and you'll never have to worry again. I did this with my PS2 also and it's 10 years old and still ticking.
    Sniper16
    Get a new wii for xmas then
    dowtatno
    something similar happend to my boy nutty   oh well just send it in or buy a new system
    K4L|RobbyX
    I've had my Wii since December of 2007, and it's still working perfectly fine. I thought my Wii broke once, the power went out, and when it came back on, my Wii didn't work. I unplugged the chords and plugged back in, I was relieved when I saw the little red light on the Wii!
    wiiwouldlike2play
    Same thing happened to me, I sending mine in tommorow. Strangely this only seems to apply to Wii games however as it seems to play Splinter Cell Chaos theory just fine.
    Ike-M
    only 2 games have broke my wii and needed it to ship it to nintendo to fix (SSB Brawl and CoD WAW yes waw broke my wii lol)

good thing i still had wii warranty got fix for FREEEEEEEEEEE~!!!!

since then the wii has broke, im hoping CODBO dont break it cause my warranty probably gone.
    Agravain3
    im not sure if that USB thing is even legit, but a wii repair is only $75 so for only another 15 dollars you can play legit.

besides any gen 2 wiis shouldnt have any problems to be honest.