23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2012 7:40 AM by superblackbird RSS

HOST Issues: Post your U/D speeds here...read 1st

DjKandiman
Hi All,

I have been experiencing extreme lag and issues and have felt that this is mainly due to the fact that I am host 9 out of 10 matches.
It is nice for all others to have a good host but to the host itself is sucks big time. Even us " hosts"  would like to be able to win a match occasionally...Hopefully this thread will show TreyArch and Activision that their current setup favours those with slow internet speeds over those that invest in their gameplay and arrange for a good internet setup.

So my idea is to collect as many info on Download and Upload speeds in Kbps per player, especially those that get to be host a lot and have similar experiences like I have such as : impossible to kill other players, they kill you with 1 shot, your dead before you see them, etc, etc.

I would like to suggest to use the following sort option:

Location - Download Speeds (Kbps / Mbps) - Upload Speed (Kbps/Mbps) - Number of times host out of 10 games - Wired/Wifi

Location = Where you live
Download = Speeds at which your ISP says you can download
Upload = Speed at which your ISP says you can upload ( you may also check System info in CoD, that has upload info as well )
Number / times host = Out of 10 matches, how many times have you been host ? ( and experienced the dreaded lag etc )
Wired/wifi  = Please note here if you have a wired connection to your xbox or if you use wifi ?

My info is:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

The Netherlands - DL = 120 Mbps ( 120000Kbps) - UL = 10 Mbps ( 10000Kbps ) - 9 / 10 matches Host - Wired

* Note: It is commonly bad to use wifi for games like this. Best way is to hook up your xbox to a wired connection. Wifi adds lag automatically due to it's nature, so please do NOT use wifi if in any way possible. Wired is the way to go.
  • Re: HOST Issues: Post your U/D speeds here...read 1st
    Ipodtouching
    Nice Internet! Mines 370kbs, wired, USA. It's fast enough for me and I never lag.
    DjKandiman

Ipodtouching wrote:

Nice Internet! Mines 370kbs, wired, USA. It's fast enough for me and I never lag.

Thanks for the reply, but 370 kbps or Kbps and is that upload or download ?
    Ipodtouching

DjKandiman wrote:

Ipodtouching wrote:

Download
    Wellar_21
    10mbps download, 0.90 upload and you will have lag. Its not so much your speed its the hosts speed
    Ipodtouching
    AT&T u-verse!!!! :p lol that's what I use.
    DjKandiman

Ipodtouching wrote:

DjKandiman wrote:

Ipodtouching wrote:

Download

Download eh, so your upload is less then that i presume ? Somewhere half or 1/4th of your download ?
    Then your connection is too slow for it to be any good.

For a decent behavior you will need 4 mbps download and 1 mbps upload, anything lower then that is useless.

Thanks for the info though, it seems your kind of internet connection is what makes me ( and others ) host each time.
    No offense, but it's your kind of crappy connections that makes us lag while you have a  blast as you will probably never ever be host.

Thanks for proving my point.
    I hope to see more posts
    Ipodtouching
    Sorry dude, I just don't got a lot of money. Sorry if I'm making u guys lag. D:
    Pyrobeastial
    I got host once in a game of free-for-all. I went 30-9 runnin and gunnin. That was the only time I had more than two yellow bars for a connection

Therefore, I have no clue what you are talking about. Host advantage is like god mode in this game.

If you are going negative on host, you may just not be very good at this at all.
    DjKandiman

Ipodtouching wrote:

Sorry dude, I just don't got a lot of money. Sorry if I'm making u guys lag. D:

No worries, it's not just you, it's people in general that are on such connections.
    I do not mean to ruin your experience in any way, just wanted to make  a point here.
    The system should combine players on connections like yours together, so that will even out the balance more.
    Same goes for my connection, the game should combine gamers with similar speeds and the system should wart off those with much slower speeds and should place them into a different group.

That would make everybody happy, slow net players combined with other slow net players would even out the balance, same goes for fast net players, etc. Seems so simple to me....
    DjKandiman

Pyrobeastial wrote:

I got host once in a game of free-for-all. I went 30-9 runnin and gunnin. That was the only time I had more than two yellow bars for a connection

Therefore, I have no clue what you are talking about. Host advantage is like god mode in this game.

If you are going negative on host, you may just not be very good at this at all.

Jeez guy, please READ the first part.

I asked to post your speeds, i did NOT ask to get a dumb response like yours..."  you're no good at it...blah blah" 
    Seeing that you have almost never been host, proves my point and you are probably on some cheeap internet connection, something like less then 1 mbit download and less then 512 kbps upload. In that case, yes, you are one of those as well that pester the hell out of the game for others by using their connections. THEY pay for a decent internet, you do NOT....yet YOU reap the benefits of that and that...my friend...is SO UNFAIR...

oh and before you start a flamewar...it has absolutely NOTHING to do with skill...
    DjKandiman
    Come on guys, this is the solution to the lag issues, let's have those numbers !
    If we prove treyarch that combining speeds into games will benefit the game, they might see it our way.

So BUMP this and fill in your info please.
    xXxIRONMANxX
    United States , Arkansas: 10,000 bandwidth , direct connected...i always get host and this happens half the time:

PLEASE WATCH VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYQG7A9JFk

and if this doesnt happen then it does a connection lose on me and then kicks me and kills the complete game.
    Razor116
    Upload: 1210 Kbps
    Download: 20Mbs
    ISP: O2/BE

I Never lag although i have played games where i will see other players lag, so annoying. Treyarch dedicated servers C'mon
    BuckshotSamurai

DjKandiman wrote:

Download eh, so your upload is less then that i presume ? Somewhere half or 1/4th of your download ?
    Then your connection is too slow for it to be any good.

For a decent behavior you will need 4 mbps download and 1 mbps upload, anything lower then that is useless.

Thanks for the info though, it seems your kind of internet connection is what makes me ( and others ) host each time.
    No offense, but it's your kind of crappy connections that makes us lag while you have a  blast as you will probably never ever be host.

Thanks for proving my point.
    I hope to see more posts

I'm guessing his connection is 3.7mbps download and 750k upload which is not slow enough to cause problems.  I have a 6mbps DL and 1mbps UL connection and rarely have any lag.  Really the only time I have lag is when I am selected as host, at which time I leave the game because I know my connection isn't fast enough to be a reliable host. 

Even with his "crappy" connection I'm sure he continually gets 3 or 4 bars just as I do.  The people who are getting 1 and 2 bar connections screwing up the game are usually a random guy 1200-1600 miles away from the host.

Local or Locale Only searches alleviates most of the connection issues with this game.  I just wish more people would use the option.
    DjKandiman

xXxIRONMANxX wrote:

United States , Arkansas: 10,000 bandwidth , direct connected...i always get host and this happens half the time:

PLEASE WATCH VIDEO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izYQG7A9JFk

and if this doesnt happen then it does a connection lose on me and then kicks me and kills the complete game.

Wow, finally someone in the US with decent internet    

...and what do you see...as soon as one has decent internet, you get raped by the game for having it...

thanks mate for assisting in proving this..
    BuckshotSamurai

DjKandiman wrote:

Pyrobeastial wrote:

Jeez guy, please READ the first part.

I asked to post your speeds, i did NOT ask to get a dumb response like yours..."  you're no good at it...blah blah" 
    Seeing that you have almost never been host, proves my point and you are probably on some cheeap internet connection, something like less then 1 mbit download and less then 512 kbps upload. In that case, yes, you are one of those as well that pester the hell out of the game for others by using their connections. THEY pay for a decent internet, you do NOT....yet YOU reap the benefits of that and that...my friend...is SO UNFAIR...

oh and before you start a flamewar...it has absolutely NOTHING to do with skill...

You realize that not everyone has access to ultra high speed internet, right?  In Europe those ultra high speeds are commonplace because the countries are smaller so the lines aren't as long.  Here in the USA we are spread out quite a bit and only the big cities have the ultra high speed internet.  Most of the smaller towns don't have access to speeds fast enough to stream Netflix in HD.  I live in a small town (3600 pop) in Kansas and we just recently got the 6mb/1mb internet option.  We don't even have HD programming with our cable, you gotta get satellite for HD.
    DjKandiman
    @ Buckshot

You are partially right, a 6 down and 1 up is just about enough, and you will see that you lag as soon as you are host.
    Even putting the game on LOCAL-ONLY will not alleviate this.

The local switches actually set ping times.

DEFAULT = 120 mSec ping or worse
    LOCAL = up to 80 mSec Ping
    LOCAL-ONLY = up to 50 mSec ping.

Just for compare, from the netherlands I ping amsterdam in just under 10 msec, I ping London ( UK ) in 30 msec and US Eastcoast is 120 msec.
    So when I go LOCAL-ONLY I still end up with gamers in the UK that have crappy internet connections but whos ISP just happens to have a shorter connection to the servers in LONDON ( Activision has MM servers in UK LONDON and in SAN FRANCISCO USA ) .

Yet *if* the MM server takes it's location as base, then LONDON is 10 mSec and Amsterdam might be 30 mSec...see the issue ??

So ping times do not say it all, especially these days.

They need to match speeds to speeds.Like so:

Group 1:  Up to 250 Kbit upload ( hardly playable )
    Group 2: 250 to 512 Kb Up ( somewhat better )
    Group 3: 512 to 750 kBit ( utter minimal )
    Group 4: 750 to 1 Mbit ( minimal linkspeed needed to play normal )
    Group 5: 1 Mbit to 3 mBit  ( Speed + )
    Group 6. 3 Mbit to 5 Mbit ( Speed ++ )
    Group 7: 5 Mbit to 8 Mbit ( Speed +++ )
    Group 8: 8 Mbit to 12 mBit  ( Speed ++++ )
    Group 9 12 Mbit to 15 mBit ( Speed +++++)
    Group 10 : 15 Mbit and higher ( Speed ++++++ )

( by the way, these are UPLOAD speeds, so from you to elsewhere...NOT DOWNLOAD ! )

If players are matched this way, then you WILL see drastical improvements in gaming experience and almost full annihilation of lag as all games are more and better balanced between gamers and hosts.

I hope we get to see this sometime...I hope JD2020 or DavidVahn sees this post and learns from it...
    DjKandiman

BuckshotSamurai wrote:

You realize that not everyone has access to ultra high speed internet, right?  In Europe those ultra high speeds are commonplace because the countries are smaller so the lines aren't as long.  Here in the USA we are spread out quite a bit and only the big cities have the ultra high speed internet.  Most of the smaller towns don't have access to speeds fast enough to stream Netflix in HD.  I live in a small town (3600 pop) in Kansas and we just recently got the 6mb/1mb internet option.  We don't even have HD programming with our cable, you gotta get satellite for HD.

I do realize this and I am definatly not saying that guys like you are the cause or that you should not be able to play anymore.
    In fact, if it wasn't for cable internet here, I would have a similar connection like you do.

All I am saying is that Treyarch needs to match speeds, not just ping times...if they do that, then they will solve the issues automatically.
    Elite3141
    According to an online test, 6.47 Mbps download, .48 Mbps upload. I live in the USA. If I were to count the times I was host, it wouldn't be x/10 games, it would be x/100 games. I am almost never host.

I'm guessing I'm the kind of person that makes you lag? Well, sorry. I know how you feel. In the previous CoD games, the host would murder everyone. I've been host enough to know that they've basically reversed it this time around.

I've also looked into getting better internet, but it's simply not possible for where I live. One company has monopoly over the area I live in, and they provide very poor service. And I know I'm not the only one in this situation. You need to consider that before you start hating on others for their bad internet. A lot of people simply can't afford better internet, either, or just aren't serious enough about their gaming to care.
    Best Bloody Day
    I'm in spain and have 10.000 kb/s (10 mb/s) download and 700 kb/s (0,7 mb/s) upload. In case you don't know, it's a good connection for spain. Usually, spanish player go from 3 mb/s to 6 mb/s download. The best available network is 50 mb/s download, but is very rare to have because is not available in all the country.

Anyway, i believe this game can be played fine with 3-4 mb/s. As you say, everytime i host, i go negative k/d ratio and almost always lose. I always search games in "local only", and mainly i play with people from UK, Italy, Germany, French... In other words, i play with people that's very near to me (probably <80ms, wich should be just fine). But i have lag too.

In the last days, i'm playing only hardcore game modes, because one shot kill don't give so much problems like firing 1 clip without killing. If they don't fix the game in few weeks, i'm done.
    Mogwai Warrior
    Kentucky, USA
    DL= 6MB
    UL= 650KB
    Host= Don't know, probably not.
    Wired connection.
    Lethal Inception
    Upload: ~25 Mbps
    Download: ~30 Mbps
    Host: 99% of the time
    Wireless connection (XBL Wireless G adapter)
    Open NAT

I do experience quite a bit of lag, not teleporting across maps or anything, just hit detection issues and stuff. It does affect my gameplay negatively. 
    superblackbird

Portugal

120 Mbs down

10 Mbs up

Host 99%

wired