35 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2010 1:58 AM by armgdnman RSS

Naming Issues - how to help

The PS3 community uses a variety of names for the top issues impacting them. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this actually makes things harder for us to understand, not easier.

For example, I've heard this a lot: "My PS3 is freezing."  That means different things to different people.

-It could mean that the PS3 will hard lock-up when they are sending XMB messages.
-It could mean the "Infinite Loading Freeze" when you get stucky with the Spinny icon and and can only press the PS button and force a soft reboot.
-It could mean a straight up hard lock in the middle of playing the game.

Someone might ask me, "Are you looking into the freeze?"  I can't answer that questions because I don't know (which) problem you are talking about explicitly.

Game Lobby Closed
This happens (in part) when you take a party to a game but nobody from the party actually makes it with you and everyone in the party, including the party host and everyone gets the message "Game Lobby Closed" sometimes with the message "Party disbanded."

We were able to get a really good network capture log of this one this morning and are currently investigating. This is a big one.

I've also seen Game Lobby Close happen to individual players when the host of a lobby leaves, the lobby migrates, and one or more person can't stay connected.

Infinite Loading Freeze
This happens when you are loading into a level. You will see the spinning icon, but never fully connect into the game. Sometimes you can still hear people in the game chatting. You are forced to press the PS button and the PS3 will soft reboot.

I've personally experienced this once. We do not have a 100% reproducible case.

Messaging/Invite Freeze
Happens when you are sending or reading messages and the game starts.

UPnP NATs not getting set Open
I've posted some finding on this. You can search the Forums for my name as post author.

We have a least one know bug in the game on this related to a timing condition if you use the start MP by default. Note that fixing that bug (which we will do) won't fix this issue for everyone. UPnP is a very loose standard and the success of it will depend on your router's firmware. I have at least three NATs here that randomly and explicit bounce between MODERATE and OPEN although nothing else has changed in the game, or the networking.

Again, so I am clear, I am 100% aware that these are not the only issues. The purpose of this thread is so we can collective itemize and name issues, so that when we are talking about them we have a single name and we, and you, know we are talking about the same thing as we discuss them.

As time permits, this OP will be appended and updated. I just want to get the ball rolling.

As always, thread and forum trolls are just going to get ignored at best and banned at worse. Just don't do it. I can't be anymore direct than that.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar

Updates:
-Minor updates to Game Lobby Closed
  • Re: Naming Issues - how to help
    Z28STREAK
    My gaming experience was perfect untill the patch on tuesday. Since tuesday I have had a straight up hard lock during a game every night. I only play about 3 hours each evening. Last night I had 2 games back to back that was a straight up hard lock. After rebooting I was unable to get my party of 2 into any teambased game mode. We were able to play FFA and wager matches but it would never keep the pary together when searching for new lobbies.
    crossfire-roadster
    My major issue at the moment is being host.  Could you explain to us why when being host the gameplay is choppy and the graphics seem to render very slow, but when I'm not the host then the game plays just fine.

I have had many hard freezes where the game play freezes and the only way to get out is to hold the power button down on the PS3.

I have also had a soft freeze where pressing the PS3 button on the contoller will allow me to quit the game, which then turns off my PS3 and then restarts my PS3 automatically.
    BONOBOe
    I havent had a hard freeze in a while, but I do get stuck on the loading map screen. 'soft freeze?'

also still getting the same connectivity issues.
    Annoyed_Blackopper
    Vahn, I play Mercenary team deathmatch a lot and I seem to get 'lobby closed' almost constantly, even though I'm not in a party or playing alongside anyone else. is this a known bug or connection problem? I have upnp and nat type 2 (although BO stil says strict) Thanks.
    _pkrfn4life_
    Thank you Vahn ! I to am sick of all the kids on this forum spamming and trolling, it's ruining these forums. They just can't comprehend or understand that your team is working on the many issues of the game ! I have had very limited issues with the game myself only experiencing the random soft freese in the game loading screen and occassional party disband when entering tdm or another game mode on the list. Other than that the game has been great for me......really enjoy it and keep up the good work 3arch !! People say you guys never respond or give updates...thats a bunch of bull, out of every game i've played ( since atari ) i have never seen the response from a developer on issues of games  as much as i seen on these threads and twitter !! Keep it up and thank you .
    sennalike
    Never thought about the different "freezing" possibilities!

I had the in game freeze during play (pre 1.04) and only a hard shut down would get me out of it, PS button did nothing.  Since patch 1.04 this hasn't happened, yet.  I've put in about ten hours of game play since the patch which is a reasonable amount of testing time!

I do still get the freeze when a game starts up, as you described, spinning icon, can hear others, can't do anything except soft reboot.  TBH this happened in MW2 too so I just tend to live with it; but maybe that indicates a more generic problem than a Black Ops one?

Not sure how to give these freezes a specific name, but I will try to be more specific when/if I mention them from now on.
    Malawashere
    I've been having troubles with the patch at the moment. Lately, I've been kicked out of games but instead of the normal "connection interrupted" or host migration, the screen just goes straight to the multiplayer menu with the message "Disconnected from server". A couple of times it tries to reconnect me to the game but fails. This happens usually right in the middle of the match without any warning, which kinda annoys me. I played with a party last night and the bug happened, although my friend reported that it only happened to me and for some reason I wasn't able to rejoin the game even though there was space in the game.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    bulkmarine
    The only time I have issues is when I'm in a party. As the party leader, the game runs fine. Of course I get the occasional "game lobby closed", but it's very seldom. It's when I'm in a party but not a party leader that I get the problems. When entering a game I get the "Infinite Loading Freeze". Again, this doesn't ever happen when not partied up. I only party up with one other player. Both of us have NAT type 2 and both are OPEN. I've set up port forwarding on my router, correctly I might add, and enabled my DMZ for the PS3 and assigned it a static IP. My friend (the one I party up with), has also done all of this. Now, I just found out today about the boot automatically to MP option causing issues. Mine is set to do so as of right now. Unfortunately I am not currently able to change it but will do so within the next couple of hours and will post my results after a couple hours of testing. Thank you for keeping up with all this as well as you are Vahn!
    When i do get a freeze it is a soft freeze. It can happen pretty much any time in a game, before loading one etc. 90 percent of the time its right when the game is going to start just freezes can hear people talking like you said.
    NotoriousRJF
    The only two I have ever really had happen more than once is the "Infinite Loading soft freeze", just keeps on spinning and spinning, usually PS button and Quit Game.  The other is the "Straight up Hard Lock", in the middle of the game it just locks up, PS button doesnt work or any other button.  Have to hold Power button down, eject disc and power it down.  Seems to be happening when I get selected as HOST of the match.  Maybe once a day when playing.  The straight up hard lock happened last night, played one game as Host and was able to finish it with no issues.  Next match I stayed the Host, and about 2 minutes into the game it just locked up.

I have an OPEN Nat Type 2 connection.  D-Link DIR-655 router, slim PS3 120 gb, and Comcast cable. My PS3 is in DMZ mode, assigned a static IP address for it months back when I upgraded my router.
    tommelom3
    I host all the time due to my 25/25 fiber optic line. I only experience freezes when a lot is going on in the match(i.e. killstreaks etc) and I´m running around trying to kill pixles. The framerate is always EXTREMELY choppy when i host, and it gets A LOT choppier before a freeze, grinding to a halt for about 5-7 seconds. When there are 1 or 2 bars in my games, things get particularly bad. 3 and 4 bars is "bareable".

I´ve actually tried just hiding the whole game, not doing anything. When i do this, i never freeze.

I believe the "lost connection to host" message is due to hosts freezing. My friends say they get this message when we play together and i freeze. I guess is´t obvious, but i thought i´d mention it anyway.

My connection:

25/25 fiber optic
    wired connection
    NAT type 1 open
    Not a router in sight!

I´m seriously angry about the state the game is in, but I want to help if it´s help you need.

Thanks

tommelom3 wrote:

I host all the time due to my 25/25 fiber optic line. I only experience freezes when a lot is going on in the match(i.e. killstreaks etc) and I´m running around trying to kill pixles. The framerate is always EXTREMELY choppy when i host, and it gets A LOT choppier before a freeze, grinding to a halt for about 5-7 seconds. When there are 1 or 2 bars in my games, things get particularly bad. 3 and 4 bars is "bareable".

I´ve actually tried just hiding the whole game, not doing anything. When i do this, i never freeze.

I believe the "lost connection to host" message is due to hosts freezing. My friends say they get this message when we play together and i freeze. I guess is´t obvious, but i thought i´d mention it anyway.

My connection:

25/25 fiber optic
    wired connection
    NAT type 1 open
    Not a router in sight!

I´m seriously angry about the state the game is in, but I want to help if it´s help you need.

Thanks

Besides the freezes you describe which I experience as well I also had a freeze during lobby intermission this afternoon, played one match just fine, was changing my clan tag while the game was launching again and it froze up.

This was on NAT type 2 open (DMZ configured so this should not make a difference), I know I'm only speculating but BO seems to behave more badly on peak hours.
    eros312
    I've only experienced 1 hard lock since the patch in about 10 hours of gameplay. I was the host of the match. Prior to this, about 5 hard locks since the game released. Each time I was also the host of the match. By "hard lock", I mean that my 120 slim freezes. PS button won't work. I have to hold down the power button until my PS reboots. NAT type Open.
    striper_43
    Main problem for me (along with what Vahn posted) is freezing when I'm host. It will freeze right in the middle of a match. When this happens, I am unable to quite the game through the PS button. Instead, I eject the game and the ps3 restarts. I think this is why the "connection lost" chord animation pops up and ends the game. I think the host freezes up and all the other players wind up in the lobby waiting to migrate hosts (usually "game lobby closed" pops up). Doesn't seem to happen all the time but I don't host every match (the connection lost thing happens A LOT).
    xAlkox
    Hi Vahn

Thank you for listening to the community..we know you have alot to do and also a life besides fixing in-game problem..

I have also experienced 2 hard lock freeze after the patch(the one were you have to hold down the power button on ure ps3 to get it to shotdown), both time i was party leader and it froze in the pre-game lobby.
    I have gotten hard lock freeze before patch also so it doesnt have anything to do with the recent patch.
    I do feel the patch made it harder to find games and more games closing in the middle of the game ect.(I have Open Nat and switch between Local and Local Only).

There is one thing ive noticed and that is if you come into a pre-game lobby and its counting down and you cant Vote for map it will close on you when the counter reach 0. ive tested this alot of times so this is hard fact...

-xAlkox
    BloodstainedMerc
    I also found a glitch or something. I don't know if I should put it up here or in the zombies subforum, because it's a graphical glitch on Kino der Toten. In the beginning area there are beams of light. Well only half since there are only shown on the weapon model, but not on the floor. I noticed the Xbox version DID show the light on the floor.

Anyways thanks Vahn for posting something!
    Horrorman
    Hi Vahn,

Good to see you are looking into the trouble we are suffering from.  

my game keeps freezing after patch V1.04. Tough only when I´m the hosting one. If this happens, the game freezes in the middle of a match, and the sound get´s "stuttering" and is repeating without ending.
    Had only 2 "infinite loading freezes" in between host migration, and no new host where found.
    Also never had a freeze when I was sending someone a message, and I had to go into XMB for this while BO was on.

Sadly I´m not on Twitter...I would take part when you hook up with some PS3 guys for to find out any stuff about the freezes. You would get a connection interrupted within a few minutes when I´m the hosting one.
    DirtDiver296
    Biggest problem for me is host freezing. I hard freeze 90% of the time when I'm the host. This happens mid game, framerate drops from the start of the round. My connection is good 50Mb down 5 up and NAT open.
    Ranchero
    Vahn, since the 1.03 patch we have only been playing combat training (mostly because the kids like it better than split screen MP with the terrible lag).  Last night on firing range we had three seperate game freezes for 3-5 seconds (over a couple matches), then the game would start up again.  Not lag, bots didn't teleport during the freeze, PS3 just laying there like an ex wife...  I don't understand the mechanics of the game enough to see why the patch would cause this so I thought I'd mention it.

Good luck with the patches  

Jamie
    Hi Vahn, i usually don't have the so called "hard freeze".
    I play only hardcore death match alone (no party friends).
    My only problem is connection interrupted and host migration failing bringing us back to the lobby trying a host migration and then lobby closed message.
    After 1.04 patch things are worse for me and is difficult for me to finish a full match.
    8/10 match result in a "host migration...lobby closed" when we are in the lobby and "connection interrupted,back to lobby,host migration and lobby closed" if during a match.

My PS3 is fat 80gb
    NAT OPEN
    Bandwight 400Kbps
    willin4akillin
    Connection Interrupted is connected to the host freezing issues. The host freezes everyone else gets connection interrupted.
    kpunx
    Hey Vahn, you should find out how Josh Olin Sticky's his posts, so you can too
    ttwn0324
    Thank you for the look at some of the possible reasons for the problems and the terminology used to define those problems in your mind. Like you said, at least now we have a base to communicate with each other.
    Lee726
    Had the infinite loading tonight just before hotfix.
    2 people in party joined a TDM half way through.
    Friend got in, I got the freeze. He managed a good game.
    Had to do a soft restart via XMB
    Def not the host as match was already going.
    Before this playing ok. NAT open.
    160 slim.
    Belkin router adsl2+ F5D7632  wired
    PS3 in DMZ with static IP
    DL 5.4meg
    UP 350k
    iif0xh0undii
    [/bump]
    Jay3k1
    Guys, not to troll or be annoying or anything but Vahn as posted most of what you have put down. I think people should focus on other problems and relay them to Vahn rather than going over the same old stuff that he knows about.

I would like to thank Vahn and the team though for the hot fix. Ever since this came out my game as been pretty flawless. Yes i've had the odd party issue and host problem, but not had one hard freeze or infinite loading page. The gameplay itself is brilliant, not had one bit of lag or framerate issue since the hot fix either.

One thing that I must ask that baffles me is what exactly is the connection interrupted bug? Is this just the hosts problem or is it to do with myself?
    Senor.Pink
    It's funny how everybody kisses Vahns ass everytime he posts, yet these are the same people badmouthing him and Josh "Sunglasses" Olin.

Vahn and Josh "Sunglasses" Olin have no idea what is wrong with their game, and are now relying on the community to solve the problem.

These are the facts. They have no idea how to fix their own game, and that is beyond unacceptable.

When are they going to stop lying, and just admit they made a terrible game?
    kastro187420

Senor.Pink wrote:

It's funny how everybody kisses Vahns ass everytime he posts, yet these are the same people badmouthing him and Josh "Sunglasses" Olin.

Vahn and Josh "Sunglasses" Olin have no idea what is wrong with their game, and are now relying on the community to solve the problem.

These are the facts. They have no idea how to fix their own game, and that is beyond unacceptable.

When are they going to stop lying, and just admit they made a terrible game?

There's a difference in knowing WHAT is wrong, and knowing WHY it is wrong. Obviously if they knew why it was wrong, it wouldn't have been broken to begin with. They KNOW the patch is causing problems, and they're working on WHY.

They're relying on the community because we consist of hundreds and thousands of players, each one capable of providing a source of information leading to the root of the problem.

You can either help fix the problems, or you can sit there and do nothing to help. If you aren't going to do anything though, then you don't really have any business complaining about the issues.
    Riddle123
    I have a four bar connection and still get a connection interrupted every other game. I'll freeze up then someone will come by and get a free kill off of me. I eventually had to stop playing all together because it was almost impossible to have any fun.
    enslew
    Vahn,

I am glad that you are addressing these issues.  I believe that the single BIGGEST problem with this game on the PS3 is the hard freeze that happens in the middle of the game.  This freeze ONLY occurs to the host.  When the host gets this hard freeze (with looping 2 seconds of sound) it will instantly cause the entire rest of the game to get "connection interrupted" messages and returns them ALL to the lobby (without the host, who will be resetting his PS3).  I have a thread with all of the information that I have gathered from observation and I will link it at the bottom.  I believe that there is a strong correlation between killstreak use (ie. napalm) and/or explosives (C4, frags, etc.) and the initiation of this freeze.  It does not occur every game (about half of the games that I HOST are able to play through to completion, the other half freeze mid-game).  If there is any information that I can add to this let me know.

Host-Hard freeze thread:
    http://community.callofduty.com/thread/100365169
    FANTASY__C
    These are the only two problems I am experiencing(Infinite Loading Freeze, and in the middle of the game I could just be running and my PS3 will just freeze)
    ronnieronb73
    I haven't had an "ingame" hardlock since the hotfix.  But now I've had hardlocks while waiting in a lobby.  It's happened 4 times now since the hotfix and it NEVER happened before the patch and hotfix.
    mp-78
    I would like to say that i dont think it is just the host that gets the "hard freeze".

I know this is correct as many times when i have played with friends several of us experience the "hard freeze" at the same point when the match was loading.

Not saying it is nothing to do with the host......but it isnt only the host that gets this problem
    ronnieronb73
    Arggh!  Now I'm starting to get the infinite load "soft freeze"!  What the hoohah?
    armgdnman
    i read jd2020's post the other day and the only response he had to the issues we are all experiencing contained zero answers. he responded with comments that blamed everyone elses connection and games where the most unlikely connection possibilities happened. i want to know why mw2 ran just fine? granted there were problems with the gameplay but the actual online matchmaking system ran flawlessly minus some lag here and there. black ops does not run as well online as the other titles did bottom line. there is something wrong i do not care what that problem may be but i want it fixed. thanks.