38 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2010 9:27 AM by MUDDA I8I FUDDA RSS

Whats considered a good KD?

Mjjp03
I was just thinking about it and it seems like everyone who is average has a 1.5+ I have a 2.10 which was amazing in Mw2 and cod 4 and stuff but now it just seems like its...average, Maybe im just tryhard and im never happy with my KD :P How about you guys, Any decent KDs?

And while Im at it hows everyones win loss? I got a 2.45 and I know thats pretty good but id like to compare it to some people.
  • Re: Whats considered a good KD?
    Shogibo
    Depends on who you ask.  I have friends who get angry unless they get a 2.0 or higher kdr, and then I have friends who just don't care and play for fun.

Me?  I think I have around a 1.85 kdr, and like a 1.5 wlr.  I usually just play for fun though.  That, and since I'm host a lot due to my above average internet connection, it does give me a slight edge over everyone else playing in my game.  So I feel by ratios may be slightly biased in my favor.
    payneinc85
    My K/D is a 2.5. Thats with the worst internet you can imagine btw. My win loss is only around a 1.2 but going up rapidly. I played solo mostly til the patch came out that helped keep the party together. Now i play with my old team again and all is well for the most part.
    Mjjp03
    Lol Im just like your friend 2.0 is what I aim for as a game average or im unhappy. When it comes to connection mine is back and forth some days great others are awful but I manage. Every once in a great while ill run around with the sniper because there is no feeling in the world like dropping some one with the L9 (Much better then that intervention air gun).
    flaming-b52
    Every kill someone gets is a death for someone else. So, the average obviously is 1.0.

Mine is lower than 1.0, which means, overall, I'm a below-average player. Of course, I sucked when I started, and I don't think I started to be any good until after I prestiged the first time.  Now, my kill/death ratio is slowly rising, but I have a pretty big deficit to overcome, and although it doesn't show you a "recent" figure ignoring old games when I sucked, I'm probably only about average now, so it's rising slowly.
    GiiRz
    CoD4 my K/D never dropped under anything 2.3
    MW2 my K/D never dropped under anything 1.8

BO my K/D in combat record is 1.28, but all my games I go 2.4+
    and if I play SnD I'm that guy that goes 11-1 or 14-0.
    Mjjp03

flaming-b52 wrote:

Every kill someone gets is a death for someone else. So, the average obviously is 1.0.

Mine is lower than 1.0, which means, overall, I'm a below-average player. Of course, I sucked when I started, and I don't think I started to be any good until after I prestiged the first time.  Now, my kill/death ratio is slowly rising, but I have a pretty big deficit to overcome, and although it doesn't show you a "recent" figure ignoring old games when I sucked, I'm probably only about average now, so it's rising slowly.

Mw2 My KD at 8th prestige was at .80 with well over 30k kills. By the end I was at a 1.10 keep going and youll slowly get there.
    flaming-b52

Mjjp03 wrote:

flaming-b52 wrote:

Mw2 My KD at 8th prestige was at .80 with well over 30k kills. By the end I was at a 1.10 keep going and youll slowly get there.

I will!    I think I'm currently running a bit over 1.0 in "recent" games, and I'm getting better. I've only played FPS games on the computer before, so this is my first time with a console controller, and when I started I was at like 0.2.  Big deficit to overcome. I think my overall is at something like 0.67 now.

Last night I went 30-10 in one game, which is really good, and then 8-15 in the next, which isn't, but I think I'm over 1.0 more often than not now. Had I been planning ahead I would have created a throwaway PSN account to use while learning, then switched back to the real one once I could shoot straight, but I didn't do that. 
    Anything not negative is good enough for in my book.
    xRite Aidex
    I'll throw my 3 cents out there...

Personally what Ive come across is that anyone with over a 2.0 is ok but below a 1.5 I'm sorry I don't care how long you've been playing its not that good and when you talk trash with that K/D it doesn't help but anything above 2.5 is good and above 3.0 is either great/camper or just is comfortable with the game.

I have a 2.61 thats been rising for the past 2 weeks due to that fact I have stopped playing by myself and with friends(who honestly aren't as good as me but as a team we are good enough) I just believe playing with people you know/with friends is underrated.
    I maintain a very tidy, extremely professional 1.72 KDR. I'm certain that I could have a 3.0 or higher if I camped hard enough, but I'll never stop rushing.
    EliteSniperKING
    KDR's dont mean anything really. With MW2 up to 10,000 kills I had a 4.30 K/D ratio Also ranked 321 on kills on the xbox. BUT that was all for camping and camping killstreaks simply cause I wanted a bunch of nukes, and of course, to be at the top of the leaderboards.

COD4 I have I think a 1.5 with 130,000 kills
    WaW I think I have 1.4 with 40,000 kills (mainly played s&d)
    MW2 i believe it to be 1.5 with 90,000 kills
    and Black Ops is a 1.3 or something like that... why? cause pub rooms simply do not matter. I screw around A LOT. does a 1.3 mean I'm bad or that I cant trash talk? well if you think so, then what do you think about getting T-bagged by the guy going 30-8 in a FFA game using nothing but the M1911 pistol? how about the guy going 20-0 in TDM with the L96..... Thats when I try. There are too many laggy hosts to accept public stats. Also, if you party up and play with friends, or join session in progesses... you can have A LOT better public stats.

How about my second account on COD4 with a 12.93 K/D ratio? Why? cause I kept joining session in progesses of noobs. duh.

I love people who value their pubstats and base their skill on them... especially the KDR guys. they tend to be the ones that camp, and get wrecked in S&D rulesets... they never know what to do! and usually lose rounds because they waste all their time camping. I tend to think of these guys as noobs, basically what they are, they're pub stars... big difference from being skilled. I've noticed that the more skilled players simply know they are beyond average skilled, public stats dont mean anything relative to skill. you can tell a bit about the player with stats but you cant assess their skill. based on it.

EDIT*** This video is from my last game.
    Dragonov 1 shot 2 headshots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUwz6pwW74
    xAlkox
    as long as u have over 1.2 u should be happy about it..

Ive been playing playstation since the ps1 came out and started my fps online in 2006-2007, if i use a sniper and try to be tactical with it.(dont like to camp with it but not running around playing minigrizz either..) i get a 1.8-2.6 ( sometimes i get lucky and have 30-1 game as i got i groundwar the other day.w/ killstreaks offcourse.)

But with using a SMG/AR im usually not under 2.5-3..

But u cant start counting KD in BLOPS just because u never know what game you will be in,, sometimes u got advantage with the framelag sometimes it works against u..

KD does not say how good you are IMO. u are a bad player if u count kills all the time.. playing Demolition, Domination, HQ, Cap flag with a 3-6KD makes u a bad player because you have to play for the objective aswell.. offcourse sometimes lady luck smiles at you but usually if you play the same gamemode with the same players the 1 player with the highest KD will have it game after game not thinking of the objective at all..
    weird-guy
    I think a "good" KDR is at least 2, at least that's what some people say.
    Daynos209
    Dephends on the game mode you usually play
    If you play tdm k/d ratio should be over 1.1 as this is a positive score for your team.
    If you play other game modes its all about objectives, and k/d ratio isnt important.
    GZ de Mosselman

flaming-b52 wrote:

Mjjp03 wrote:

flaming-b52 wrote:

I will!    I think I'm currently running a bit over 1.0 in "recent" games, and I'm getting better. I've only played FPS games on the computer before, so this is my first time with a console controller, and when I started I was at like 0.2.  Big deficit to overcome. I think my overall is at something like 0.67 now.

Last night I went 30-10 in one game, which is really good, and then 8-15 in the next, which isn't, but I think I'm over 1.0 more often than not now. Had I been planning ahead I would have created a throwaway PSN account to use while learning, then switched back to the real one once I could shoot straight, but I didn't do that. 

For me it's the other way around. I always played the COD games on the 360 and BO is my first FPS for the pc. I started out around 0.8 k/d and I'm stuck at 1.12 or something now. But unless you only play TDM or FFA, your K/D doesn't really matter. Your win/loss is what matters. I constantly get teamed up with retarded randoms so my w/l is only 0.95 and I generally only play DOM. (Sometimes a different gametype because the server's gametype changed, or when I need to unlock certain pro perks)
    xBLINDxDRUNKx
    2KDR for a good player all i do is rush and run and gun i play the game how it meant to be played and its very rare i go under 2 if i sat in corner like a most of the **** i would probably have a 3-4 but its a video game you don't die in the real and your 4 kd don't get you jack in LIFE.
    contramancarl
    Like some have said K/D ratios are mostly important in team deathmatch.  In capture the flag i've gone whole games without killing anyone and still won because i was still capturing flags.  And free for all You can have a .50 k/d and still beat kids with that went 2 or 3 k/d.  Thats because in ffa your deaths are split up between 7 players so the real important stat there is kills per minute.  In objective games all a high K/d tells me is that the player is either a very good defensive player or they might just be farming.  This is not really bad though because killstreaks can turn the game around. But some players who aren't really that good have come up with clever ways to keep that k/d high.  And then you have people like me who just don't care about dying (except in tdm of course).  Take into account network lag cheaters and boosters and to me the stats can only provide a rough estimation of how good a player is.  Also some randoms would have much better stats in general if they had a good team if for no other reason then to keep them from getting thrown into empty slots on a losing team especially in dom where a good team can keep you trapped.
    I honestly don't care, I play for fun, not for stats that mean nothing.
    schrodingersgeek
    I can't believe some people still give any credence to K/D.  It's the most pointless stat ever.  Any idiot could sit in a corner on FFA or Merc deathmatch and go 9-3 and have 3K/D.  People caring about k/d is also what is ruining objective games.

The only time a high k/d impresses me is when it is in conjunction with a high SPM or Win/Loss.

I played my first legit 15th prestige on HQ last night, his clan were all awesome, and i got a pasting.  I looked at his stats and his K/d was only something like 1.5, but his win/loss was over 8, and his SPM in HQ meant he was very very high up the HQ leaderboards.  To me that is much more impressive than some goon camping for a 5k/d.
    Well if we're just talking about K/D i think only anything above 2 i would consider good. Player skill is a different question, i know some good players with 1.7's

Like the guy above me previously said, if your going to judge by stats alone without playing with them, then Win/lose and SPM are just as relevant as K/d are.

My win/lose is 9.5 and im in the top 1k for domination, all time and top 2k TDM all time. Im just gloating  :P
    contramancarl
    I remember before shooters started tracking all these stats.  Games seemed much more fast paced.  People played... i dont know just more wide open and crazy.  Sure crouching in a spot in locking it down is smart. It just isn't fun to me.  I wish that this game had multi- team death match K/d is more meaningless when your deaths are divided up between multiple opponents.  Also a ffa king of the hill, just one mode where camping won't necessarily help you win.
    contramancarl

VivaFathom wrote:

Well if we're just talking about K/D i think only anything above 2 i would consider good. Player skill is a different question, i know some good players with 1.7's

Like the guy above me previously said, if your going to judge by stats alone without playing with them, then Win/lose and SPM are just as relevant as K/d are.

My win/lose is 9.5 and im in the top 1k for domination, all time and top 2k TDM all time. Im just gloating  :P

SPM I agree with but win/loss not so much.  In a perfect lan setting sure but online where every disconnection counts against you and you get thrown into hopelessly lost matches in progress not so much.  Not to mention if you play ffa you have a 7 in 8 chance at getting a loss where as in every other mode you have a 50/50 shot at winning even if you suck.  I do admit it is far more likely for a good player to have a good win/loss ratio then a bad player, but I know of a few good players who have stopped caring about this stat since they cant control getting put in losing matches or disconnections
    schrodingersgeek

contramancarl wrote:

SPM I agree with but win/loss not so much.  In a perfect lan setting sure but online where every disconnection counts against you and you get thrown into hopelessly lost matches in progress not so much.  Not to mention if you play ffa you have a 7 in 8 chance at getting a loss where as in every other mode you have a 50/50 shot at winning even if you suck.  I do admit it is far more likely for a good player to have a good win/loss ratio then a bad player, but I know of a few good players who have stopped caring about this stat since they cant control getting put in losing matches or disconnections

I'm fairly sure that if you finish top 3 in FFA it doesn't count as a loss.
    contramancarl
    You are right my mistake, although that still gives you less than a 50/50 shot at getting a win.  You also have to do it by yourself.  No wins because you got on the team with the pro who goes 45-2 or better every match.  Of course that sword cuts both ways.   You can be awesome as you want but you cant stop your team from getting slaughtered if they re terrible.
    schrodingersgeek

contramancarl wrote:

You are right my mistake, although that still gives you less than a 50/50 shot at getting a win.  You also have to do it by yourself.  No wins because you got on the team with the pro who goes 45-2 or better every match.  Of course that sword cuts both ways.   You can be awesome as you want but you cant stop your team from getting slaughtered if they re terrible.

Regarding FFA, it more than balances out because the standard in FFA is generally pretty low (there are good players that play FFA for sure, but generally the majority are not great).  My stats generally go up if i play FFA for any decent length of time.

It's another reason why stats don't mean that much.  I wish Treyarch didn't put in any 'overall' stats; anyone can play exclusively FFA and Merc TDM and buff up their overall stats as the standard in those playlists is pretty low generally.
    Some say a good KD is only legit when your WL is high too, wich I agree with, but in BO thats not true, due to the fukedup matchmaking and bad connections etc. In Mw2 I had a 2.7 kd and a 3 WL, in Cod4 i had a 1.7 KD and a WL of 1.5 (my 1st cod game to play online, thats why my KD and WL is pretty low on it)  and w@w I have a 3 KD, WL is about 2.2. but in BO I have a 3.4 KD but only a 1.3 WL, and thats only couse of the BAD match making! when ever I have to leave mid game couse my friends get a connection interupt or just shitty connection, and it happens ALOT.

So my answer is a good KD is Above 2!
    contramancarl
    In response to schrodingersgeek: Maybe some sort of trueskill matchmaking would make the overall stats more worthwhile. Or a serious arena lobby wirh lobby specific stats. You are correct about ffa and mercenary, if you play you undoubtedly find some easy opponents.  But I still think that even without taking ffa into account win/loss can easily be lowered by uncontrollable circumstances like disconnects.  Thats all I was really trying to say.  Also regarding stats in general:  a sad fact of gaming now that we have stat tracking is that people come up with elaborate ways to boost these stats to the point where if you haven't played against someone and their stats seem to good to be true... well everyone has to swear that they are legit because of a couple of boosters.
    schrodingersgeek

contramancarl wrote:

In response to schrodingersgeek: Maybe some sort of trueskill matchmaking would make the overall stats more worthwhile. Or a serious arena lobby wirh lobby specific stats. You are correct about ffa and mercenary, if you play you undoubtedly find some easy opponents.  But I still think that even without taking ffa into account win/loss can easily be lowered by uncontrollable circumstances like disconnects.  Thats all I was really trying to say.  Also regarding stats in general:  a sad fact of gaming now that we have stat tracking is that people come up with elaborate ways to boost these stats to the point where if you haven't played against someone and their stats seem to good to be true... well everyone has to swear that they are legit because of a couple of boosters.

For sure mate, i think we are both agreeing that stats aren't always an accurate indicator of skill (but just for different reasons).

I would love to see a trueskill matchmaking system in COD or an Arena style playlists.  I'm not a massive fan of Halo, but i played 3 enough to know that if you were playing a general you were going to get thrashed.  Only the very very great players could get to level 50 (there was a few boosters, but nowehre near the scale of COD, and they still had to win games to get it).  In COD anyone can camp a decent K/d and get to 15th prestige if they put the time in.

It would really sort the men from the boys.  I mean how many vids have you seen on youtube of these so called 'great' players just pwning noobs in merc deathmatch or FFA?  Wings springs to mind.  Things would be very different if there was skill based playlists and only vids from those games could have any credibility within the community.

Stats in COD aren't completely pointless, there are so many factors that you have to take into account when interpreting them, that i judge people on how they play more than anything else.
    Mine is, as of yesterday, 1.27 or something around that range.

As for what is considered a "good KDR", I think that any KDR that isn't 0 is "good".  If you're KDR is 0, then boy-oh-boy you've got your work cut out for you.  But if you're KDR is astronomical, then I will think "WTF?!" but that's just me, and no I won't snitch.
    xXKmS-ChaoTiiC

EliteSniperKING wrote:

KDR's dont mean anything really. With MW2 up to 10,000 kills I had a 4.30 K/D ratio Also ranked 321 on kills on the xbox. BUT that was all for camping and camping killstreaks simply cause I wanted a bunch of nukes, and of course, to be at the top of the leaderboards.

COD4 I have I think a 1.5 with 130,000 kills
    WaW I think I have 1.4 with 40,000 kills (mainly played s&d)
    MW2 i believe it to be 1.5 with 90,000 kills
    and Black Ops is a 1.3 or something like that... why? cause pub rooms simply do not matter. I screw around A LOT. does a 1.3 mean I'm bad or that I cant trash talk? well if you think so, then what do you think about getting T-bagged by the guy going 30-8 in a FFA game using nothing but the M1911 pistol? how about the guy going 20-0 in TDM with the L96..... Thats when I try. There are too many laggy hosts to accept public stats. Also, if you party up and play with friends, or join session in progesses... you can have A LOT better public stats.

How about my second account on COD4 with a 12.93 K/D ratio? Why? cause I kept joining session in progesses of noobs. duh.

I love people who value their pubstats and base their skill on them... especially the KDR guys. they tend to be the ones that camp, and get wrecked in S&D rulesets... they never know what to do! and usually lose rounds because they waste all their time camping. I tend to think of these guys as noobs, basically what they are, they're pub stars... big difference from being skilled. I've noticed that the more skilled players simply know they are beyond average skilled, public stats dont mean anything relative to skill. you can tell a bit about the player with stats but you cant assess their skill. based on it.

EDIT*** This video is from my last game.
    Dragonov 1 shot 2 headshots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AUwz6pwW74

Finally someone who thinks clearly with they're heads.
    I agree 100% with you bro!
    ~~ http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhum ~~ (GoD Dualtage)
    The funny thing about my KDR as well is the fact that I don't camp.  I'm the type that goes into the $h!t to take some lives.  I've never been a good sniper in the COD series, even if there's some potential I have yet to unlock within me concerning sniping skills, but overall the lack of proper sniping maps in COD:BO MP makes me say "Eff it," to sniping.  I can't even quickscope like the others; I like how you're given a chance to use a sniper-rifle in the middle of a battle with your teammates, but my experience dictates that it isn't always the smartest move.
    MadManRob
    A good KDR is anything over 1.1 because thats positive an lots of positive KDR's wins TDM...

As far as KDR making you a good player .... not so much theres lots of factors like host advantage, campy campers, playing in a clan ect ect...

When i play i still own people with 2.00 an above KDR's, just because you have a high KDR dosn't make you a god or invincable...

An as for average KDR i would say on BO's its prob around the 0.90 mark.. thats the KDR i see most

An my WLR has suffered because of having to back out of tons of games because half my party didn't make it in or joining a game with 5 seconds left an being on the loseing team.. saying that its gone up alot since the patch...

Jackel. wrote:

Anything not negative is good enough for in my book.

agreed, i got a KDR of 1.43 in combat records so im good
    -pictureframe-
    I play for fun, and I've got a solid 1.5 ratio.
    electrosurfer
    I always thought it was the over sensitive players with KDR envy syndrome who unplug, turn off, etc and screw the whole online experience up for everyone. PLEASE, get over yourselves and get lives that mean more than a stupid stat on avideo game
    Sniper16
    CoD 4 KDR: 1.78
    BO KDR: 2.67
    BO WL: 6.98
    what do you think I care about more?
    MUDDA I8I FUDDA
    In my opinion your k/d isnt liable fact to how good a player is at all. I could camp and go 8-0 and 12-2 all day long if i wanted but that takes very very little skill and is super boring. I curently have a 1.5 using a big variety of weapons. M60, MP5k, M16, M14, and the Spas. And i change between those 5 all the time instead of ever pulling out an AK74u. Just because someone has a 1.2 doesnt mean they cant pull out a 30-5 game. And i know for sure when i get my buddies together those guys having 2.2 k/d ratios have trouble going positiv. So it doesnt even really matter.