19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 12:29 PM by Eleky RSS

Why TDM Should Be Longer/ Remove K/D

So people who want to get a lot of kills do not play TDM. Why? Because its too short and the spawns are unpredictable.  Objective gametypes are much more efficient for getting kills and racking up a high K/D.  This is an issue for people who like to play the objective.  I have no problem if you like getting kills in objective gametypes because its not practical in TDM.

However, I believe that TDM should be longer so it can set up a wall between kill whores (not trying to be offensive, just the only name I could think of) and objective players.  Another solution would be to remove the K/D ratio all together, it is too stressful for players to try and keep up with and takes away from the gameplay (I know this option sounds crazy but its just a suggestion). 

Or! My favorite idea would be to set up a system like in Halo: Reach. Where you are matched up with players that want to win or you can prefer to be a 'lone wolf'.

Just some suggestions and I understand they have flaws.
  • Re: Why TDM Should Be Longer/ Remove K/D
    A Ninjakitty
    If objective gam types are going to tell how many captures/destroys/defuses I have, TDM should tell me my k/d becuase the objective is to get kills and not die.
    Pbjb989
    I agree with the longer TDMs. Team Tac is fine with a 7500 limit, so why not bump up TDM to 1000 and Ground War to 1500? The maps aren't particularly big, and even on Team Tac I've only run out of time on a couple of occasions. Keep the K/D though, after all that's what TDM is about.
    Eleky
    I Agree!
    I love demolition, and hate it when there are people that just don't give a **** about planting or defusing the bomb site when given te opportunity!
    I'm not sure if you guys misunderstood, but I'm fine with the K/D ratio being displayed in game, but not the overall K/D for every single gametype in your Combat Record. It would be cool if they could just exclusively merge the TDM K/Ds and exclude the objective K/Ds.
    BuckshotSamurai

Eleky wrote:

I Agree!
    I love demolition, and hate it when there are people that just don't give a **** about planting or defusing the bomb site when given te opportunity!

Then they claim they are helping the team with their dogs and/or chopper gunners 

BuckshotSamurai wrote:

Eleky wrote:

I Agree!

Then they claim they are helping the team with their dogs and/or chopper gunners 

Those really do help, but they almost never get them! In addition, they caused us the lead while camping for the killstreak.
    Eleky

BuckshotSamurai wrote:

Eleky wrote:

I Agree!

Well acctually it is helping, while your running for the bomb to defuse/plant it it's nice to have a rolling thunder or something over your head, cause it keeps the enemy away, but still. When your sitting next to the bomb, and your planting our defusing cause it can get you killed is just freaking annoying
    ghosthound

mufassa wrote:

So people who want to get a lot of kills do not play TDM. Why? Because its too short and the spawns are unpredictable.  Objective gametypes are much more efficient for getting kills and racking up a high K/D.  This is an issue for people who like to play the objective.  I have no problem if you like getting kills in objective gametypes because its not practical in TDM.

However, I believe that TDM should be longer so it can set up a wall between kill whores (not trying to be offensive, just the only name I could think of) and objective players.  Another solution would be to remove the K/D ratio all together, it is too stressful for players to try and keep up with and takes away from the gameplay (I know this option sounds crazy but its just a suggestion). 

Or! My favorite idea would be to set up a system like in Halo: Reach. Where you are matched up with players that want to win or you can prefer to be a 'lone wolf'.

But I just love killing those silly people actually going for the objective. 
    Eleky

GhostHound wrote:

mufassa wrote:

But I just love killing those silly people actually going for the objective. 

Acctually you want to kill people that are not trying to kill you, cause you can't just kill people that also try to kill you;)
    theusername

mufassa wrote:

i think TDM should only have a time limit and not a kill limit. when the time is up the team with the most kills wins. also it would help if it didnt show who was winning or any individual scores until after the match so that somebodies K/D ratio at the moment wont cause a change in gameplay i.e. i doing 10-15 so i start campin to try to bring it up. this becomes irritating because everytime i start doing good they all start hiding and my killing slows down. now i know that is just them adapting but if they arent keeping track mentally then let em keep running to their death only to find out they did horrible at the end of the match.
    Eleky

theusername wrote:

mufassa wrote:

i think TDM should only have a time limit and not a kill limit. when the time is up the team with the most kills wins. also it would help if it didnt show who was winning or any individual scores until after the match so that somebodies K/D ratio at the moment wont cause a change in gameplay i.e. i doing 10-15 so i start campin to try to bring it up. this becomes irritating because everytime i start doing good they all start hiding and my killing slows down. now i know that is just them adapting but if they arent keeping track mentally then let em keep running to their death only to find out they did horrible at the end of the match.

This wouldn't really solve the problem, and probably cause more camping. I use the scoreboard to count my killstreak, and i think more people do this. When they don't know their killstreak they will start camping earlier, just in case of
    whiteknight1902
    Some people............. this game is an arcade game and it is fine as it is. 100 Kills with 6v6 would take far to long, especially with all the rage quitters and on the large maps.
    Also take the K/D out of tdm?????????!!!!!! wtf are you on, its a fps to win you have to kill the opponent more than they kill you.
    UnjustJX23
    i agree its annoying when you play to win but ur teamates ply for their killstreaks (although they sometimes to help in spawn trapping etc)
    iidarkshadowoo
    Ground War?
    anoreo
    Somebody on the team has to do the killing, rushing in and dying is not how you play objective game modes. You win by killing.

I agree with the idea of making TDM longer. I think a good idea would be either remove time limit, or remove kill limit. That way it could be 10 minutes of just fragging each other.

An Oreo wrote:

Somebody on the team has to do the killing, rushing in and dying is not how you play objective game modes. You win by killing.

I agree with the idea of making TDM longer. I think a good idea would be either remove time limit, or remove kill limit. That way it could be 10 minutes of just fragging each other.

I don't disagree with this, the issue comes from people who are nowhere near the objective camping to try and get killstreaks (which most of the time they don't get). I don't care if you have 60 kills in demo if you can't cover my ass while I plant. Even if you wipe out the entire team near a bombsite, you need backup otherwise they just run straight to you and kill you. Do your killing (because it does help), but do it closer to the objectives to actually help the team, not just yourself.
    deany1996
    I agree, this will obviously stop the community overusing of the OP AK74U
    Sure length of the games has something to do with it, but I also think that it is easier to get more kills in objective game. In domination, for example, when the other team has C and your team has A and B,  you know, generally, where the other team is going to be spawning. Also, you know where someone is if they try to take A or B. All objective games have locations that players will flock to. This gives the "kill whores" an advantage of knowing where people are most likely to be. In TDM, there isn't a specific location that players have to be to win. I think that regardless of TDM match length, people will still play domination, demolition, and headquarters to rack up tons of kills.
    Eleky

lucasisme wrote:

Sure length of the games has something to do with it, but I also think that it is easier to get more kills in objective game. In domination, for example, when the other team has C and your team has A and B,  you know, generally, where the other team is going to be spawning. Also, you know where someone is if they try to take A or B. All objective games have locations that players will flock to. This gives the "kill whores" an advantage of knowing where people are most likely to be. In TDM, there isn't a specific location that players have to be to win. I think that regardless of TDM match length, people will still play domination, demolition, and headquarters to rack up tons of kills.

But if they can get about the same amount of kills in TDM some of them will switch to TDM, which already is an improvement!