15 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2011 9:18 AM by forkless RSS

NAT TYPE!

Im tired of having my NAT TYPE STRICT! i can't join my friends parties or invite them to my party, sometimes i have my NAT TYPE OPEN but then when i log out and get back to play later its STRICT and that's BS! also, idk WHY WHEN I PUT MW2 MY NAT TYPE IS OPEN! AND WHY ISNT MY BLACK OPS NAT TYPE OPEN!?!? ITS KIND OF BS! ......... is it because of my location?! or what?!? all i want is to have my NAT TYPE OPEN... if u know how to put it open tell me ................
  • Re: NAT TYPE!
    ReenoSuperTramp
    Mines always strict and I've had no probs joining friends parties
    http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=231094

Really good tutorial
    Big font doesn't get you anywhere...
    thezoobutcherpeterb
    no trollin but the "pop in mw2, take out, pop in bo" trick really works. my nat type was moderate and this solved it now its open(could join some friends and no friends could join me...no more)

thezoobutcherpeterb wrote:

no trollin but the "pop in mw2, take out, pop in bo" trick really works. my nat type was moderate and this solved it now its open(could join some friends and no friends could join me...no more)

Only worked for me before a certain patch. Then I was stuck with a strict nat for a while. Then after another patch, my nat type was open But yesterday when I checked it was strict again...wtf is happening (still open on cod5 and mw2)

robot_spy wrote:

http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=231094

Really good tutorial

my router doesn't support dmz 
    ashGutterspout
    Let's start with the PS3 settings. Make sure your PS3 has a static ip address. Here is a tutorial if you don't know how to do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31YP65tl7w
    I have chosen to disable UPnP on my PS3. I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you're stuck on a strict/moderate NAT type it might be worth trying.

Next will be router settings. I have a Linksys WRT160N router, and these are the settings I have enabled.
    If you have a different router go here for instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Once you have chosen your router's model number scroll down the list and select "PS3 Call of Duty - Black Ops"

Application & Gaming > Port Range Forwarding

Name............Port range....TCP/UDP......IP
    Black Ops.....2005 - 2005,,,,,.Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....3074 - 3075......Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....5223 - 5223......Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....3478 - 3658......Both.......PS3's IP
    PSN.................80 - 80..........Both.......PS3's IP
    PSN................443 - 443.......Both.......PS3's IP

Application & Gaming > DMZ

Source IP Address - Any IP Address
    Destination - PS3's IP

Administration > Management

UPnP check "Disabled"

Port forward also has a tool that tests if your ports are open. http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

ashGutterspout wrote:

Let's start with the PS3 settings. Make sure your PS3 has a static ip address. Here is a tutorial if you don't know how to do this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i31YP65tl7w
    I have chosen to disable UPnP on my PS3. I don't know if it makes a difference, but if you're stuck on a strict/moderate NAT type it might be worth trying.

Next will be router settings. I have a Linksys WRT160N router, and these are the settings I have enabled.
    If you have a different router go here for instructions: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm Once you have chosen your router's model number scroll down the list and select "PS3 Call of Duty - Black Ops"

Application & Gaming > Port Range Forwarding

Name............Port range....TCP/UDP......IP
    Black Ops.....2005 - 2005,,,,,.Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....3074 - 3075......Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....5223 - 5223......Both.......PS3's IP
    Black Ops.....3478 - 3658......Both.......PS3's IP
    PSN.................80 - 80..........Both.......PS3's IP
    PSN................443 - 443.......Both.......PS3's IP

Application & Gaming > DMZ

Source IP Address - Any IP Address
    Destination - PS3's IP

Administration > Management

UPnP check "Disabled"

Port forward also has a tool that tests if your ports are open. http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm

this is what my port forwarding looks like:
    Protocol.................Port range.................Translate to.......Trigger protocol...Trigger port
    (drop down box).......(...to...).............................................(drop down box)
    any............................................................................ ......any
    TCP............................................................................ .....TCP
    UCP............................................................................ .....UCP

Do I leave the translate to field blank?
    Port triggering is NOT the same as port forwarding. Use the forwarding/virtual server option on your router.

Port forwarding:
    New connections from the outside to a certain port or port range go to a designated LAN machine. The ports are determined by the kind of server you want to run, (e.g. 80 for a web server) and the IP is the private LAN IP of your web server.

Port triggering:
    New connections from the outside to a certain port go to whatever LAN machine made a certain outgoing connection (as defined by destination port).

Example: You define port 25 as trigger and 113 as port. If any of your LAN machines creates a outgoing connection (=trigger) to port 25 (e.g. to send mail), all incoming connections to port 113 will temporarily go to that machine. After a timeout, new 113 connections will again be dropped as in case (1).

iimdiaz91 wrote:

Im tired of having my NAT TYPE STRICT! i can't join my friends parties or invite them to my party, sometimes i have my NAT TYPE OPEN but then when i log out and get back to play later its STRICT and that's BS! also, idk WHY WHEN I PUT MW2 MY NAT TYPE IS OPEN! AND WHY ISNT MY BLACK OPS NAT TYPE OPEN!?!? ITS KIND OF BS! ......... is it because of my location?! or what?!? all i want is to have my NAT TYPE OPEN... if u know how to put it open tell me ................

Some of my mates had this problem if u dont want to dmz or port forward u can do this but u must have a copy of MW2 and an OPEN NAT on MW2.
    Ok here's how reset your router when its back on the net start your ps3 then put in your copy of MW2 (yes i mean MW2) when you get to the screen where it says your NAT is OPEN eject MW2 and put Black Ops in ASAP now you should have an OPEN NAT.
    Hope this helps please post if it does.

And no It's not a joke try it.

forkless wrote:

Port triggering is NOT the same as port forwarding. Use the forwarding/virtual server option on your router.

Port forwarding:
    New connections from the outside to a certain port or port range go to a designated LAN machine. The ports are determined by the kind of server you want to run, (e.g. 80 for a web server) and the IP is the private LAN IP of your web server.

Port triggering:
    New connections from the outside to a certain port go to whatever LAN machine made a certain outgoing connection (as defined by destination port).

Example: You define port 25 as trigger and 113 as port. If any of your LAN machines creates a outgoing connection (=trigger) to port 25 (e.g. to send mail), all incoming connections to port 113 will temporarily go to that machine. After a timeout, new 113 connections will again be dropped as in case (1).

Yes if I leave it blank it auto fills it in. I already knew not to fill in the trigger field but thanks for the definition anyway...I was just asking about the translate to... thingy.
    DanDierdorf
    Doesn't it suck that the game is so poorly written you have to learn networking **** like this to make it work?

DanDierdorf wrote:

Doesn't it suck that the game is so poorly written you have to learn networking **** like this to make it work?

And to get an open nat I have to use my MODERN WARFAIL 2 disc. lmao....
    Important thing not to forget is to manually assign your PS3 a static IP address. If you dont your portforwarding is pretty useless as on point of turning on the PS3 it might well be assigned a diff IP by your router, the ports are forwarded to a single IP.

This is done on the PS3 itself (loads of tuts about already but i can post the basics if you cant find), assign it something high like 192.168.1.100 to avoid clashes (as long as its within 1-255 i'd think you're fine). In my experience forwarding ports made it moderate, static IP (aka full DMZ) makes it Open every time. Depends on your setup at home though... Worked a treat for mine. Good luck.

DanDierdorf wrote:

Erm.. a couple of things;

- There are plenty situations (read: the way people set up their network) where you can't use UPnP and you MUST use manual router setups.
    - UPnP router compatiblity issues in most cases (see the exception below) can be resolved by simply upgrading the firmware.
    - There are still ISP's in this world that ship routers that are not fully UPnP compatible to this day and deliver NO firmware solutions.
    - Who is saying that developers like Infinity Ward are not diverting from the UPnP "standard" to get things working as opposed to Treyarch? Maybe nice for you as a consumer but that is not a solution. If IW actually did implement a half ass standard that communicates with broken UPnP functionality they need to be publicly tarred, feathered and kicked in the stones (Preferably on YouTube)

UPnP is not the be-all-end-all port forwarding solution. Plain fact remains that you have your responsibilities as end-user too. People need to learn to read a manual, it's not that hard and if you can't get somebody who can... Not to mention that if you have no access to the router in the first place you may want to start somewhere else than a forum.

ps. Ironically enough you don't want to know how many people can actually find Google when it comes to manually forwarding ports for their coveted P2P downloads if UPnP doesn't work.