11 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2014 3:44 AM by M_T_Mabowels RSS

Call of Duty 3, The Best in the Series

I Purposly
I think that Call of Duty 3 was the best Call of Duty ever made. It was one of those games you had to play when it was new. If you go back and play it now, you will say it sucked. It has no perks, no ranks, no kill streaks, it was just a well balanced game with fun game modes. You could play capture the flag and pick up your team-mates with a jeep or drive a motorcycle with Machine-Gunner in the sidecar. It was great. The maps were great, and the DLC maps were awesome, and there was no worry about trying to reach the highest rank before your friends.

You may ask how this game was so much fun if it had no ranks, no ranks, no kill streaks. I will tell you.
It had preset classes.
Their was the Rifleman with the Semi-Automatic Rifle, Light Assault with the SMG, the Heavy Assault with the LMG, the Machine-Gunner with the HMG, the Medic with the Shotgun, the Sniper with the Sniper, and the Anti-Tank with the Bazooka. Each of the classes had their own specific role and melee damage.

There were vehicles
There was a jeep. You could have a driver, passenger, and gunner. The passenger could mount his weapon on the dashboard so that it would be more accurate. It was just a lot of fun playing CTF because you always knew that someone would be driving by any second to pick you up.

There was a Motorcycle with a side car. it worked the same as the jeep, except it has no gunner, just a driver and passenger. It was much faster but much more fragile.

There was also a tank. Don't remember much about it but all I can say is that it was always fun mounting an enemy tank and throwing a grenade into the hatch. It never got old.

Call of Duty 3 was the first Call of Duty that I played and I will always remember it. Many people will say that I'm dumb or stupid because they, in reality, never played Call of Duty 3 and started their career on CoD 4 or MW2. It is understandable that you like those games better. The had new technologies and changed the gaming world forever. But you have to think: "Where did it all begin?"
  • Re: Call of Duty 3, The Best in the Series
    TwistedMan
    I disagree.
    Here is my opinion in the rankings of current cod games.

COD 2 > COD WAW > COD 4 > COD 3 > COD BO's > COD MW2.

COD 2 was just..Fun, fun to snipe, fun to use other guns, awesome maps, Tujane Tunisa is my favorite map by FARE.
    x fataliity
    i started with big red one, then two, then three, four, world at war, mw2, black ops. 

i'd have to say, two and big red one were definitely the best, then four, then three, then black ops, then mw2.
    Captaincorgi
    Best in the series in my opinion, It actually had balanced and half decent net code, How the mighty have fallen .
    Trout 19

Captaincorgi wrote:

Best in the series in my opinion, It actually had balanced and half decent net code, How the mighty have fallen .

Balance in COD3, not so much.  M1 was king of the hill by a long shot followed by the Kar 98.  If you got those 2 together, it was over.  Match making was also a complete mess, had to play private matches half the time.

Miss shooting people out of motorcycles, cars, tank turrets.  Edar Damn was a great map and there was a boat load of DLC maps.  Net code was good too.

See what is possible with a proper amount of time!
    XxReggieKushxX
    /Notsureifserious

I have heard from many many people, that COD3 IS the absolute worst in the series.

I know, I know...It's hard to believe that a Treyarch game is the "Worst" in the COD series.
    twa545
    Started my "career" on W@W then went on to CoD4, MW2, BO (hopefully where my Cod career will end). Always wanted to play CoD3 multiplayer, maps on the gameplays look awesome.
    Trout 19

XxReggieKushxX wrote:

/Notsureifserious

I have heard from many many people, that COD3 IS the absolute worst in the series.

I know, I know...It's hard to believe that a Treyarch game is the "Worst" in the COD series.

To be fair, it was their first high profile game (me considering the COD franchise, even then, as high profile, debate if you need).  It wasn't bad and they had like 10 freaking DLC maps in total plus the ones that shipped with the game.  Motorcycles, tanks, cars, ton of maps, overpowered weapons, it had replay value out the waazoo if nothing else.

*Lol, and in the only time I have seen, their first DLC pack with one map for free if I remember right (map with cornfield, blown out masion at one end and a church at the other) was broken when they released it and they had to re-release it a few days later.  I sat for 2 days wondering if I just got screwed out of $10 b/c I bought it day one and it didn't open on the xbox.  Alls well that ends well.
    iidarkshadowoo
    I feel the same.
    I'll read this thread later, but a yes from me for now.

Another thing that I found fantastic about it was the graphics.
    For it's time period, it had so pretty good graphics.

Another thing that was great were the maps- especially Eder Dam and Merville.
    There were plenty of flank routes but not too many, a variety of elevations, and interesting paths like tunnels.

And of course, since the classes were set, it was really balanced. Everything was good; I would use almost every class each game.

And I almost forgot...the P2P system!
    It was fantastic to be able to choose the exact maps and game modes I wanted.
    I never grew tired of it.

You know what strikes me as under-appreciated about COD3? The way that Treyarch told a pretty compelling character-driven story during the campaign, but never called attention to it . . . Squadmates fight and make up, noncoms die and others get promoted to fill their shoes, the coward evolves into the "old hand" by the end, etc. And most of it happens during (apparently) random banter during the various missions and it's easy to miss on your first playthrough.

Not to be all "English major" about it, but I thought (and still think) that it was probably one of the most interesting (and effective) narrative strategies I've ever seen in a "pure fps" game. The whole story is easy to miss if you're completely focused on headshots and tossing-back potato mashers and such, but if you pay attention to your squadmates, there's a whole 'nother dimension to the game @ work -- and it plays-out like a really strong episode of "Band of Brothers."

M_T_Mabowels

It's my favourite too.  For all the most recent COD games I usually play the multiplayer games once and that's it.  With COD 3 however I still play it today.  My favourite map is 'Fuel Plant'.  Poisson is good too. I least enjoy the map in the Chateau. Don't know why.

With me the new COD games it the single player campaign modes that interest me most. They seem to be getting shorter though. I find this disappointing.  Whether this is because they are putting more effort into multiplayer or it is because the game engine itself takes up more resources, I don't know.  The last COD game I bought was Black Ops.  I didn't bother with Black Ops 2.  I might buy it.  I might not. Depends on whether or not I get the PS4.  No point getting the game for the PS3 if I'm going to switch machines, right? Same goes for Ghosts. Rumour is that the single player for this is even shorter.  I might still get it though.

By the way, what's all this about COD 3 dlc?  I've not come across it anywhere?  Unless I downloaded it years ago when I first bought the game.