11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2011 1:11 PM by mcduke RSS

Does Black Ops automatically recognize sli ?

mcduke
I'm using two geforce GTX 460 cards and after downloading the newest nvidia drivers I noticed my fps was around 45 to 75 fps. Then I realized I had to reactivate sli in the nvidia control panel after updating the drivers, I really didn't notice any increase in the fps rate though. Does Black Ops automatically recognized sli setup??
  • Re: Does Black Ops automatically recognize sli ?
    wx006
    I have two 460's in SLI with everything maxed out and I am pushing 75 - 90 FPS on one card and 125-150 on two, I can provide screenshots if you like... The problem I have seen for a while now is the CPU bottleneck, not the video cards... I have an i7 2600k, with my QX6700, I saw no more than 90 FPS on SLI, and I had some stutter at times...
    mcduke
    I have the Q9550 quad core which is overclocked to 3.1 with 6 gig ram.  I have everything  maxed out with 1920 X 1080 resolution. I'm still hitting as low as 35 fps.
    Grannyoo3
    Make sure that multi gpu is set to 1 in config_MP file

Search for framebuffersize line, there is x and y

Set them to 1024 for x and 608 for y
    mcduke
    I checked and the multi gpu is set to 1 in config_MP file. But I have a multi core cpu and this line I had to change to the "1"  ( seta r_multithreaded_device “0” which is fo non multi core cpu ).  It didn't make any difference though. I even change the multi gpu to "0" just to see the difference and there wasn't much. It makes me wonder if thee isn't something wrong with one of my video cards.
       I think the card in slot 1  is okay since it's the main card that the computer uses. Then the card in slot 2 works through the card in slot 1.  At least I think that's how it works. I guess I'll have to take out the card in slot 1 and put the other card in there, then try it by itself in black ops to see if I'm still getting the 35-95 fps range. While I've been using the geforce GTX 460 cards in sli mode I don't think I saw the fps go over 100 once.
       I did a search in the player mp-config file for framebuffersize line, there is x and y and the search didn't find it.
       If you guys have any more suggestions on what to try I'd appreciate it. I just sucks to spend this much on the 2 cards and not get what I expect out of them.
    Passay
    Whats you cpu, ram.
    Especially whats your PSU mate? Low power can cause these sorts of issues with multi cards and damage them in the process.
    If you PSU is a multi rail then you may need to even out the load over the 2,3 or 4 rails where you have too much power tried to be pulled off any one of the rails. This is where single rail PSU's for the enthusiast gamer are better in my opinion.
    Good luck
    mcduke
    I'm using an evga motherboard with the intel quad core Q9550 which runs at 2.83ghz which I have it overclocked to 3.06ghz stable. I also have 6 gigs of ram (ddr2 Kingston HyperX PC8500 aka 1066)  running windows 7 (64bit OS). My hard drive is Western Digital VelociRaptor  150GB 10000 rpm. And of course my video cards are two ASUS ENGTX460 oc cards in sli and enabled in nvidia control panel. I even checked to make sure both the cards show up in mp config ( seta r_multiGpu “1”) and the cpu (seta r_multithreaded_device “1”). Yet today while playing on Black Ops my fps was as low as 34 and only as high as 91 and that's turning off "shader warming" and setting anti-aliasing to 8X, plus turning down anisotropic filtering alittle. I had the resolution set to 1920 X1080 and everything else maxed out. I should be getting more outa 2 460 cards in sli shouldn't I???
    lipe123
    Ive seen ppl suggest you completely delete the config_mp.cfg file and try it then, maybe that will help.
    I get better fps with a single 560ti and my old 285gtx also gave higher FPS that what you are seeing.

You didn't answer the PSU  question.

Have you tried doing a 3d mark06 run to see what kind of FPS you get there and whats your final score? With 2x 460 you should see at least 30k points in 3dmark 06.
    PewPew dude
    Thats odd considering i have only one 460 1g and its not overclocked and the only time a see a dip below 30 FPS is if i have 3D vision turned on and i look down a open area down the map that gives me full view. but i atribute that to the poor GPU rendering two times the frames and trying to see alot of ****. you should see MUCH better than me. with two of em overclocked... as for the PSU, that could be it, as i have an 850w PSU to power everything 
    Nightcover

mcduke wrote:

But I have a multi core cpu and this line I had to change to the "1"  ( seta r_multithreaded_device “0” which is fo non multi core cpu ). 

r_multithreaded_device "1" is for debugging purposes and can potentially lower your fps. This has nothing to do with your cpu.
    mcduke
    My PSU is a 1000 watt beast byKingwin.  So I should have this setup (seta r_multithreaded_device “0”). Well, I just tried other card alone and the fps in black ops was as low as 30 up to 91. I was hoping that maybe the card in slot 2 had something wrong with it and that was causing the problem, but the single card worked just fine. Could there be something wrong with the bridge that, even though, it allowed the sli to be enabled but didnt' work otherwise?
    mcduke
    Well, I think I know why I'm not getting the fps I would like to see on my system. I forgot to mention that I'm using a lcd 1080 TV that is 32inch.
    I guess the larger the monitor screen real estate the more graphics power it requires. So running my computer at 1920 X 1080 with everything maxed out and getting no lower the 30fpr but getting 120fps at times is pretty good.