26 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2011 10:19 AM by Rude_Rick441 RSS

I HATE steel toe boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I started my new job which requires I wear steel toe boots. After getting off work I find that my feet have many blisters. This is a full time job and I work 9 and a half hours a day. What should I do? I can't work when my feet are all blistered up like this and it will only get worse tomorrow
  • Re: I HATE steel toe boots!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't wear many steel toe boots because they don't make it in a 4E width except for one brand; Redwings but they are damn expensive work boots, yet comfortable. That could be your problem too.
    crankbait
    Timberland Pro series, I have worn steel toes for around 19 years, these are by far the best you can buy.
    Trout 19

Becon of Death wrote:

Today I started my new job which requires I wear steel toe boots. After getting off work I find that my feet have many blisters. This is a full time job and I work 9 and a half hours a day. What should I do? I can't work when my feet are all blistered up like this and it will only get worse tomorrow

Possibly due to the boot not being broken in?  Never use your first day to break in a pair of boots, it's a process that can take awhile depnding on how they are made/quality.  Good socks help, something that can breath.  The part wear the steel stops at the top of the foot is a common area of soreness at first.  It will get easier, wear the boots non-stop to break them in quicker.
    How much are the redwing and timberland pro series? The current steel toe boots I have are called "Texas Steer".
    Trout 19

Becon of Death wrote:

How much are the redwing and timberland pro series? The current steel toe boots I have are called "Texas Steer".

Buy the Redwings, worth the price as they are high quality and wear well.  Texas Steer, not so much.

Trout 19 wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

Possibly due to the boot not being broken in?  Never use your first day to break in a pair of boots, it's a process that can take awhile depnding on how they are made/quality.  Good socks help, something that can breath.  The part wear the steel stops at the top of the foot is a common area of soreness at first.  It will get easier, wear the boots non-stop to break them in quicker.

What do you mean by breaking them in? How do I break them in?
    :facepalm:  you wear them...
    crankbait

Becon of Death wrote:

Timberlands around 130.00, most high quality boots like Redwing or Wolverines will be in this price range, oh and do not, I repeat do not, buy Wal- mart boots, Your feet will hate you.

Becon of Death wrote:

Trout 19 wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

The boots become less stiff and hard on your feet. Which is your problem, right?
    Trout 19

Becon of Death wrote:

Trout 19 wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

Like a baseball glove.  You need to work the bends so they are not so stiff, which can factor into blisters.  Wearing a fresh pair of boots on a worksite can be a death sentence for you and your feet.

crankbait wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

Timberlands around 130.00, most high quality boots like Redwing or Wolverines will be in this price range, oh and do not, I repeat do not, buy Wal- mart boots, Your feet will hate you.

My Redwings were 200 bucks...
    crankbait

Machine650 wrote:

crankbait wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

Most in 130.00 to 150.00 range, not all.

Machine650 wrote:

crankbait wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

Ok thanks
    @ platninumb yes the boots are very stiff.

I'm gonna log off cause I have to get up early. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep the comments coming 

Becon of Death wrote:

I'm gonna log off cause I have to get up early. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep the comments coming 

My pleasure. 

I love shoes, btw.

Platinumb wrote:

Becon of Death wrote:

My pleasure. 

I love shoes, btw.

Flip flops FTW. (I'm in Florida, you can understand)
    Yea, I understand.

I have an expensive taste in Nike shoes. It puts small dents in my wallet, though. 
    1. Buy cheap ones.
    2. Kick all people in store to death.
    3. Take the good boots.
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

Platinumb wrote:

Yea, I understand.

I have an expensive taste in Nike shoes. It puts small dents in my wallet, though. 

So you're one of those nike basketball shoe collectors?

Well, it sucks, I can only wear a couple brands of shoes for having such wide feet. Thankfully Nike has been making more wide shoes in the recent years but I mainly stick with my Newbalance shoes.

Sucks, I can't wear chuck taylors, Vans, reebok, and most other brands out there.
    That sucks. 

I just have a big toe so I have to get a .5 size bigger for some shoes.
    Do what the British soldiers did in WW1. Urinate in the boots, leave them overnight and then poor the liquid out. They should be soffened.
    welcome to the workforce my friend. i wear steel toes everyday at work, and have been for @12 years. when you drop a big hunk of anything on your foot, you will be thankful you have them on. =)
    Someone shot me in the foot with an air rifle. I had steelies on and it just bounced off into my leg. Owch.
    kamchakka
    Wear them whenever you can, to get them loosened up, as said above.

@ Platinumb/Crafty: Chuck Taylors are my favorite, yet they are killers when you have to walk long distances. You can better wear no shoes, as it hardly makes any difference then. I went to London for 4 days last year, and I wore my Chucks during those 4 days. At the end, I thought my feet needed to be amputated...
    reaper2792
    A nice pair of Timberland Pro boots don't even need to be broken in. I have the 8" high Pro's. Wore them from day 1 8 hours straight and felt great. Plus, aren't you gellin? Big mistake if you are not:

http://www.drscholls.com/drscholls/massaginggel.jsp   

Rude_Rick441
    I've been in the construction business for over 28 yrs and I quickly found out that the feeling of getting a good price on boots doesn't last nearly as long as the feeling of getting good boots!

Go out and spend the money on good boots, you'll be glad you did!