1 2 3 Previous Next 643 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2011 1:20 AM by Acidline303 RSS

#hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants

Hello,

So I was having this conversation with the Hardcore sub-community (special interest group!) before PSN went down and totally mucked up our schedules about adding some more hardcore game modes variants.

Now that this is out of the way and the PS3 has the latest updates, I want to get back to this idea.

Back then, I was vibing on one idea proposed called Hardcore Flags and Hardcore Bombs. Now, like anything, this means different things to different people.

First, let me tell you what I think these are.

Hardcore Flags - a moshpit of all flag based game modes, only with hardcore rules applied (no hud, lower health, etc).

Hardcore Bombs - a moshpit of all the bomb based game modes, except Sabotage (so Search and Demo), only with hardcore rules applied (no hud, lower heatlh, etc).

Keep in mind that the simpler the requirements the more probability this has of happening. If you start giving me a list of Perks or Weapons you also want banned, you lower the probability I can get it done or will want to do it.

It would also be good to get a map list together. Think of this as what maps you DO NOT want in each of the above playlists rather than a list of maps that you DO WANT. This is easier for us to manage. Playlists should have lots of maps "in general" but we are happy to take "a few" out that just don't play well for the game modes in them.

As always, I am just going to ignore any off-topic replies at best and ban trolls at worse. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but the Forums are very time consuming and I have a very limited window of time to get feedback from the hardcore community about this, but since it's been over a month since we discussed it any real way, I need a "refresher" on where we were heading with this idea.

Would be good to hear from some of the advocates / champions of #morehardcoregamemodes. I'm sure I will remember your forum or Twitter name.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
  • 1. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    velezrenzo
    That would be great.

HcFlags = all flags game mode with HC rules.
    HcBombs = all Bombs game mode with HC rules.

• 2. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    Vahn nice idea and while your at it any chance of fixing this http://twitpic.com/42owae it's been long enough hasn't it and it would make people play for the objectives more rather than their Stats.
  • 3. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    urbanevirtuoso
    When it comes to Hardcore CTF, I highly advise disabling Friendly Fire since it can lead to a great deal of boosting/griefing - as in robbing others of flag captures just for the sake of Marathon Pro. The request isn't too outlandish and would benefit the majority of players who'd want a legitimate game.

Hell, this'll also bode well with the Bomb modes.
  • 4. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    xsmokex20
    Thank you for revisiting this topic, Vahn.
  • 5. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    iidarkshadowoo
    For Hardcore Flags, I'm thinking of the maps (excluding) where it's hard/frustrating to hold down the B flag. For many teams, once you get it, it's easy to hold down these open positions because of it's difficulty to recapture for the enemy team.
    Nuketown, Villa, Grid.

For Hardcore Bombs, I'm thinking of the maps (excluding) where spawn killing has been seen as "popular"/easy.
    Firing Range, Havana, and Nuketown.

And of course...thanks.  :P
  • 6. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    Loyal X Patriot
    I know the hardcore community will appreciate this Vahn. I could care less since I'm too ADD to play HC modes, but I know a hell of a lot of people who have been craving this. It sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on the ideas, so I'll leave the details up to my HC brothers.

Go get em boys! :clan:
  • 7. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    velezrenzo

UrbaneVirtuoso wrote:

When it comes to Hardcore CTF, I highly advise disabling Friendly Fire since it can lead to a great deal of boosting/griefing - as in robbing others of flag captures just for the sake of Marathon Pro. The request isn't too outlandish and would benefit the majority of players who'd want a legitimate game.

Hell, this'll also bode well with the Bomb modes.

I play Hc CTF a lot and that almost never happens.
  • 8. Re: #hcflags and #hcbombs - adding more HC game mode variants
    velezrenzo

ii darkshadow oO wrote:

For Hardcore Flags, I'm thinking of the maps (excluding) where it's hard/frustrating to hold down the B flag. For many teams, once you get it, it's easy to hold down these open positions because of it's difficulty to recapture for the enemy team.
    Nuketown, Villa, Grid.

For Hardcore Bombs, I'm thinking of the maps (excluding) where spawn killing has been seen as "popular"/easy.
    Firing Range, Havana, and Nuketown.

And of course...thanks.  :P

Agree!!!
  • 9. Questions I have
    Forgot a few things because I was in a hurry (as usual).

Are you willing to give up ANY of the current hardcore game modes? I dislike adding and prefer to replace. Search and TDM are the most popular and are sacred, but even HQ has 10,000 players on Xbox right now. It's way better on us if we can replace two we have rather than just add (for technical reasons that I'm not going to get into right now).

Also: This would be a good chance to experiment with ricochet in one or both. It would have to be all game modes in the moshpit, however. You can't do ricochet in CTF but not some other flag mode in Hardcore Flags, for example.

We could always do Ricochet but never have. This would takes some extra testing, but would be worth it.

I am kinda liking the idea of saying this is Hardcore > Ricochet Flags and Hardcore > Richochet Bombs but I'm not attached to it.

David 'Vahn' Vonderhaar
1 2 3 Previous Next