40 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2011 2:28 AM by slime dog mil RSS

Reaction Time

Revayyy
Today I discovered a reaction time tester and me and my friends played around with it for a while we found that people with higher reaction times had a higher k/d ratio in Cod of the 5 of us here are the results we got.

3.34 k/d 182.4 milliseconds
3.18 k/d 185.8 milliseconds
2.02 k/d 191.1 milliseconds
1.55 k/d 202.1 milliseconds
1.49 k/d 209.7 milliseconds
0.97 k/d 228.9 milliseconds

It seems like reaction time plays a big part on how well you do in cod. I was wondering if people here could test their times and compare it with their k/d ratio. Maybe someone could make a table.

Link - http://www.humanbenchmark.com/tests/reactiontime/index.php
  • Re: Reaction Time
    sweatyclam
    It's known as a twitch shooter, so whoever shoots first normally wins because the damage needed to kill some one is so low compared to games like Halo.

So I'd have to say this is probably true.

Except for spawn trappers and dashboarders, they are just lame.

EDIT: just tried this test and my average over 5 trys is 350.2ms but my K/D is 1.20.
    Amelogenin
    It seems like reaction time plays a big part on how well you do in cod.

No sh*t, Sherlock.
    Singularity93
    2.51 k/d 309 milliseconds

Awesome.
    sweatyclam

Amelogenin wrote:

It seems like reaction time plays a big part on how well you do in cod.

No sh*t, Sherlock.

While it is kind of obvious, he has supplied figures to back this claim up which we can now use to post our K/D and reaction time, this way we can prove if K/D is a meaningless stat due to various ploys some players use to preserve their K/D.
    R4ZOR            94 PL
    250ms- 6.0 KD
    jtzako
    My first try through is 212.8.  However, I do not have a good K/D ratio.  Then again CoD is the first FPS I've played on the Xbox.  I have always been a PC player and even on that havent played FPS on a regular basis in years.
    sweatyclam

jtzako wrote:

My first try through is 212.8.  However, I do not have a good K/D ratio.  Then again CoD is the first FPS I've played on the Xbox.  I have always been a PC player and even on that havent played FPS on a regular basis in years.

That is quick, can you let us know a ball park value for your K/D, some people on this forum think 1.5 is good, others think it's bad.
    IMO it would be more accurate to ignore kills from killstreak rewards when comparing K/D and reaction times..
    R4ZOR            94 PL

JamesAFC wrote:

IMO it would be more accurate to ignore kills from killstreak rewards when comparing K/D and reaction times..

You are right, after ignoring all my killstreak kills my KD is 4,5 - 250ms
    ranluv13
    What is your points per minute for the guy who says his k/d is 6.  I find that hard to believe?  I have a friend who is in the top 10,0000  with a point per minute of about 330 I think, and his k/d is like 2.34 and rarely is he not the top player in any game we play.  So either u are the biggest camper/noobtuber or are full of it.
    sweatyclam
    I'm in the top 100000 on most game modes and I have a rubbish K/D in comparison.

But enough of this, we want K/D's and reaction times.
    R4ZOR            94 PL

ranluv13 wrote:

So either u are the biggest camper/noobtuber or are full of it.

Looks like you have no idea what you are talking about, since noobtubes suck in BO. It would actually be an amazing feat to get high KD using noobtubes in BO...I would tell you about my stats, but people over here would moan to no end, so if you really want to see them, then check my Xbox Live profile- name same as on forum..

ranluv13 wrote:

What is your points per minute for the guy who says his k/d is 6.  I find that hard to believe?  I have a friend who is in the top 10,0000  with a point per minute of about 330 I think, and his k/d is like 2.34 and rarely is he not the top player in any game we play.  So either u are the biggest camper/noobtuber or are full of it.

I'm pretty sure Razor is ranked near the top in most game modes  

My reaction time was 230.7 after 10 goes but I feel half asleep atm lol.
    My K/D is 2.72 without killstreaks

R4ZOR            94 PL wrote:

ranluv13 wrote:

So either u are the biggest camper/noobtuber or are full of it.

Looks like you have no idea what you are talking about, since noobtubes suck in BO. It would actually be an amazing feat to get high KD using noobtubes in BO...I would tell you about my stats, but people over here would moan to no end, so if you really want to see them, then check my Xbox Live profile- name same as on forum..

i've seen better.

actually played with one of sullivans boys that had a 20 w/l and a 7.5 k/d. i beat him half the time also cuz im amazing. lol
    R4ZOR            94 PL

lB I G lD U lB wrote:

i've seen better.

actually played with one of sullivans boys that had a 20 w/l and a 7.5 k/d. i beat him half the time also cuz im amazing. lol

I think you are talking about AK74U CAN GTFO? He is damn good...
    yeah. he was complaining about connection the other day so im sure that wasn't helping his cause. those numbers are just rediculous to keep up that high.
    R4ZOR            94 PL
    But its possible...I love how that guy few posts above went "my friend is top 10,000 so you cant be better"...well, someone needs to occupy top 100 spots, right ? 
    A Ninjakitty
    194 MS, 4.5 K/D

Reaction time does have something to do with overall K/D, but reflexes/hand-eye coordination, map knowledge, and overall intelligence also play a big part.
    unimsw
    This was kind of interesting, although I don't think the website is entirely accurate. Not counting things like internet connection, ping, etc... I noticed a significant difference when I used my wireless mouse versus my laptop keyboard to click. My laptop was about 50 ms faster than using the mouse, even though I felt like using the mouse was more efficient for me. Just an observation...

And my K/D is around 1.95
    AudaciousAP
    112 ms - 1.67 K/D
    270 ms w/ 5 tries - 2.14 K/D

K/D is a lot more than just reaction time.

-Map knowledge
    -Gun Skill(being able to control recoil, burst fire etc.)
    -Playstyle(If you are camping in a corner ADS, you don't need to have a great reaction time but you might still have a high k/d)
    -Hand Eye Coordination

Also back in jan/feb my K/D was around 1.5, I know my reaction time didn't all of sudden jump up.
    There is a little flaw in this...
    Mine was 333.3mms so in theory I would have a K/D lower then 0.50...Well I have a K/D of 1.50-ish.I don't dashboard,and my connection is average.Mind you Imainly play TDM and play tactically:
    Aim just as I go around corners
    Reloading when safe (or neccesary)
    Knowing hotspots,danger zones,black spots,etc
    Cooking a frag (1,2,throw!)

So .50 is based on reaction time? So the rest is...
    Connection
    Playtime (over all FPS's)
    Pure luck

So i'm still positive.Great!
    lol @ "Reaction time" in the delayed, crippled, lagfest that is Black Ops.

Reaction time is virtually meaningless in a game so dominated by shoddy networking.

Reaction time means nothing when players aren't in sync.
    AK74U CAN GTFO
    7.50 KDR - 87 MS

EDIT: I'm the human SOH pro.
    R4ZOR            94 PL

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

7.50 KDR - 87 MS

WTF? I couldnt go below 200ms no matter what...my mouse sucks tho...
    AK74U CAN GTFO

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

7.50 KDR - 87 MS

WTF? I couldnt go below 200ms no matter what...my mouse sucks tho...

Maybe delay? I use an LED monitor, with a less typical delay than most users. It's beast. If you've ever watched some of my gameplay, I lock almost instantly.
    Bieltan
    220.6 - 1.32 KDR

I did however do that earlier leaned back in my seat keeping hold of my struggling 6 month old.
    R4ZOR            94 PL

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

Maybe delay? I use an LED monitor, with a less typical delay than most users. It's beast. If you've ever watched some of my gameplay, I lock almost instantly.

How big is it? How much did it cost? Im intrigued...
    AK74U CAN GTFO

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

How big is it? How much did it cost? Im intrigued...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431

Well, taking into everything, I'd send you my comp specs if you ever wish, you can find a computer that can support CRAZY **** for like $1k. ^_^

Anyways, back to gunskill/reaction time. 5.45 KDR with guns alone.

lB I G lD U lB wrote:

yeah. he was complaining about connection the other day so im sure that wasn't helping his cause. those numbers are just rediculous to keep up that high.

Yeah, I remember playing with you. I had a 1-bar the entire time, I still kept my **** up. Just didn't do anything 'spectacular'...
    Averaged 1028 .... no that isn't a typo. I have a .95 k/d .... My slow reaction time isn't a surprise though considering I'm legally blind.
    AK74U CAN GTFO

Jerifus wrote:

Averaged 1028 .... no that isn't a typo. I have a .95 k/d .... My slow reaction time isn't a surprise though considering I'm legally blind.

If you're serious, how the hell do you play COD?

Troll expected, though. lol xD

AK74U CAN GTFO wrote:

Jerifus wrote:

If you're serious, how the hell do you play COD?

Troll expected, though. lol xD

Lol totally true bro... I guess just strategy really, my kd was 1.2ish for the first couple prestiges.then dropped to .84 until around prestige 6. I have been slowly bringing it back up since then and now it is pretty rare for me to go negative.
    A Ninjakitty

Superirish19 wrote:

There is a little flaw in this...
    Mine was 333.3mms so in theory I would have a K/D lower then 0.50...Well I have a K/D of 1.50-ish.I don't dashboard,and my connection is average.Mind you Imainly play TDM and play tactically:
    Aim just as I go around corners
    Reloading when safe (or neccesary)
    Knowing hotspots,danger zones,black spots,etc
    Cooking a frag (1,2,throw!)

So .50 is based on reaction time? So the rest is...
    Connection
    Playtime (over all FPS's)
    Pure luck

So i'm still positive.Great!

Completely true. And you also have to take into account how often someone actually tries. I snipe/shotgun/t-hawk quite often and play just for fun. I've got a friend on my list with 13k L96 kills and a 2.00+ K/D... imagine if he actually tried with an assault rifle 100% of the time...  :shock:

K/D means so little for so many people because of so many possible variables.... I had a friend that was near a 6.00 but he always backs out against clans and only spawn traps. He's a good player for sure, but not better than many others I know that only have 3.00-4.00. I also played with a guy on WaW that only had about a 1.3 K/D but when he actually started trying he could play just as well as I could, if not better.
    reallyocean
    Mine is around 270ms but my K/D is 1.9. However, I used to do absolutely terrible when it came to playing BO. Only during the last few days of gameplay (out of 17-18) have I been doing really well and I usually haven't had a K/D under 3-4. Usually it's higher though, so if I were to make a new username I'd probably have a much better K/D.
    cy7s
    about 260, kd is 4.89
    ghosthound
    Reaction time is just one small part of being a decent player.

It also requires good aiming [quick reactions don't mean **** if you can't hit the target]. 

Being a smart player that can out-think your opponent is also crucial.

226.4 & a 2.78 kd - enough said. 
    jwaller123
    Average speed of 262.4 ms. K/D 1.02.
    Armillary
    I averaged a 262.8 ms with a 1.60 K/D.

It really depends a lot on your connection, whether you play with a party, what weapon you use, your play style etc...

There's simply too much to take account when looking at someone's K/D.
    ximrampage
    These stats don't take into consideration Ghost whores sat in corners
    Also, accuracy plays a big part. Its all well and good shooting first  but if you miss then its pointless.
    I have a 2.33 kd,  I have great reactions but my accuracy is below 16% LOL
    slime dog mil
    You are assuming we are all playing on a lvl playing field. We are not. With the issues in the game, you can compare anything and it will not be a true representation.

For example. You can react in 0.00001 of a second, the other person can react in 0.2 of a second. if it takes 0.3 longer for your response to get there you lose. The only constant in this game is that connection plays a huge part, as in most things that go over the internet. Reaction times will help negate a bit of the lag, but it is not a cure. You can react as fast as you want, but if due to lag the person is not where you are aiming you will do badly.