30 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2012 1:23 PM by Arcflare RSS

Ten Reasons why IWNet is not the answer

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

10.) IWNet is hosted on Joe Blow's residential internet. This translate into the host having a 0 ping and all other players a ~100  ping minimum. Dedicated Servers are hosted in a datacenter. All Clients connect to the box in the data center. No one has an unearned adavantage over another player.

9.) IWNet is only benificial if you have 5 friends. If you're in a clan (10 guys does not constitue a clan) then there is no way you can play together in ranked mode. You won't be able to get recruits as easy and members will spend more time playing on IWNet instead of populating servers in other games. The loss of recruits can affect money flow in forms of donation. IWNet is harmfull to clans!

8.) Honest players are taken advantage of in IWNet and have no means to protect themselves. Games can be hacked with script inserting tools. Exp yeilds can be altered and max rank and emblems can be unlocked automatically. This happens, when I gave MW2 a go-round when it first came out I was hacked to prestige10 with all unlocks very early on. I went into the game files to delete my stats and then the very next day I was hacked straight to prestige10 again. After that I backed out of every single lobby on rust just to avoid getting hacked again. I gave up the game not to much longer though

7.) With IWNet there is no community. With IWNet you're randomly joined to a game. There is a high chance you'll never see someone ever again after disconnecting from a lobby. There is no means to build a community by players joining a server in similar location, similar interests (boobies and beer servers xD), or by a favorable ruleset (whether it be no rules, no bad language, or no noob guns). Without community you can't build a foundation for a clan.

6.) IWNet has no means to stop hackers or abusers. Whether VAC works or not, when you're in a lobby, there no way to take care of someone who is using an aimbot or other hack. IWNet has no way to know he's hacking so often times it'll just keep connecting you to the same lobby. People will get frustrated and download a tool that will allow them to spam someone out of the server with command overflow. This tool is almost always used against innocent players. Most people with aimbots or wallhacks also have a hack that forces them to be the host and therefore cannot be kicked. If you keep a server on your favorites that has good admins, you won't ever have to worry about playing against hackers. If by chance you are banned unfairly, a quick appeal on the clans forum and you'll be back in the action and there is a good chance the offending "power-raged" admin will be taken care of by clan administration

5.) IWNet offers convience at the cost of removing integral parts of the game. With IWNet you can party up with friends and find a game easily. But you give up a list of things. A steady connection to the server, a foolproof layer of defence against hackers, the choice of playerslots, custom rulesets that appeal to you, maxfps, lean, console, editable config. With dedicated servers you have to actually look for a server to join but with a favorites and filter servers options, its not hard at all. And you can save the server to your favorites for later. If the server you're looking for is empty play 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 with your friends. In five minutes it'll fill up.

4.) IWNet offers services that we gave ourselves access to before Elite at the cost of removing said parts of the game. Ultrastats, B3, and Promod gave certain clan servers appeal over anothers. With IWNet we give up our ranked dedicated servers, our choice of player count, and our custom ruleset just to get a stat tracking service that already exists. Are leaderboards really that important to you guys? Why not play on your favorite dedicated server and compete with your friends (and maybe enemies) for the top position on that leaderboard? Best part? These are legit and are not attacked by hackers

3.) IWNet has no support for official mods. Modded lobbies start to appear after a script injector is coded for the game, but you have no choice into when to get put into them, many times your rank is altered and your challenges screwed up. Additionally if you join one hosted by yourself or a friend on purpose you run the risk of being banned by VAC. You are even at the risk of being banned by IWNet if you're thrown in to one randomly. On dedicated servers, mods are unranked to the games progression, for the most part are very well done, and add overall to the games experience and playability and lifetime

2.) IWNet has limited player support. All gametypes are limited to 6v6 except for TDM and DOM. While some players find this to be an ideal amount, the ones who find more fun lies with more players are straight out of luck. IWNet doesn't allow for more than 9v9 and only on certain maps. While 32v32 Shipment servers are huge overkill, there are many more servers that aren't that.

1.) PC players never wanted, nor asked for IWNet. What PC players did want we're ways to make it easier to play with friends. They could have created a pregame lobby system that throws you into a dedicated server and starting with the begining of the next match organizes teams via the party. They could have coded in an autobalance that gives players on each other friends list priority over those who are just random. Balancing over randoms instead of people who wanted to be on the same team. Instead they gave copy-and-pasted the crappy Xbox System and taped a peice of paper over it and called it IWNet. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799 If anyone can listen to BASH123 and tell me that IWNet was an innovation that greatly enhanced the PC community and not just a lazy shortcut that is ruining it, I call that man a liar.

• Re: Ten Reasons why IWNet is not the answer

i agree with all that

Easy, don't play on iwnet, play on a dedicated, datacenter hosted, well administered MW3 server you can add to your favourites with players you get to know over months if not years, they will know how good you are. Level rank up does not indicate skill, everyone will hit top rank if they play for long enough.

its not that simple JockT ....

ALOT of players like leveling up for whatever reason they my not like unranked and this is uncharted waters ... we have no idea whats going on ...

if we'll be able to save classes or have to make a new one for each server or map

if we'll be able to filter out mods

this is just all round a big cluster F***

and for new players the sigmata of "unranked" might kill servers

And which dedicated, datacenter hosted servers are you referring to ?

The big known CoD hosters aren't advertising with MW3.

What's the difference between Unranked Dedicated Servers and Multiplayer Combat Training? Nothing.

We never asked for IWnet. They said they've been taking feedback since MW2? That they're going to SHOW us that they take our platform seriously? Then why have they not gotten the most blatant and obvious answer? WE NEVER WANTED IWNET.

redskullss

10 Totally agree, but IWNet was set up to try and fight the plague of "Cracked Servers" on all previous CoD games, it failed badly, but that was the main reason for it, well, that and the introduction of making sure we all paid for our DLC

9 Iwnet is for the casual gamers, they have no mates...

8 MW2 was a cheaters dream, I cant see MW3 being any different if I'm honest

7 once again, IWNet casual gamers have no need for creating a clan, they have no mates and besides we all know that CoD game play these days is "every man for themselves" unless you play the S&D gametype

6 Once again, IWNet was and still is hacked to shreds, its a mess of a system and I will be avioding it at all costs, unless the new version with MW3 have been given a major overhaul (doubt it)

5 you claim "you can party up with friends" are you implying that casual gamers do have friends after all?, that kind of makes a mockery of your points 9 and  7

4 you make a perfect point about the reasons everyone who owns a PC should ignore IWNet and play Unranked

3 hacked lobbies is another reason Im staying well clear of IWNet on MW3

2 those player limits are set not by IWNet but by map design, even on a dedicated server I wouldnt recommend anyone play the game with more than 18 players, maybe if map tool are released we could make our own maps for a larger amount of players, but as it stands, 18 max or it will be a mess

1 so much money and R&D time went into creating IWNet I knew they were gonna get at least one more game out of it, and I was right, I suggest everyone just stays off the entire system and plays on a unranked dedicated server instead, and play CoD the way its meant to be played

Iwnet is awful I refuse to be treated like a console player, Im sick of being told what map Im playing on next becuase of what gametype Ive chosen, I hate the host advantage, and the cheats completely spoilt the whole experiance on MW2, MW3 will be the same

Thats why I chose to play on the unranked servers they are offering us, Pings are the important factor here, Not Ranks and Not Badges

I hate the whole idea of CoD Elite, and I once again refuse to be treated as a console gamer, it really isnt rocket science here, just stay away from IWNet

D0T-C0M

First comes "Denial" then comes the "Anger" then comes the "Acceptance"....  Right now everybody complaining is in the Anger stage.  After the release once you accept that things are going to stay as they are then you'll be able to enjoy the game.  The stubborn ones will leave but the majority will accept it in the end and play either on IWNET or unranked dedicated servers.

D0T-C0M wrote:

First comes "Denial" then comes the "Anger" then comes the "Acceptance"....  Right now everybody complaining is in the Anger stage.  After the release once you accept that things are going to stay as they are then you'll be able to enjoy the game.  The stubborn ones will leave but the majority will accept it in the end and play either on IWNET or unranked dedicated servers.

But not before the Trolls eh DOT? Have nothing better to do?

Why don't you just go back to your console, if you're so happy with it?

Why are you so set, on bringing a supirior platform down to that level?

Why not just play your console, and be happy.

But you're not happy are you, little troll?

You just want every one else to be as misrable as you; isn't that right?

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor wrote:

10.) IWNet is hosted on Joe Blow's residential internet. This translate into the host having a 0 ping and all other players a ~100  ping minimum. Dedicated Servers are hosted in a datacenter. All Clients connect to the box in the data center. No one has an unearned adavantage over another player.

9.) IWNet is only benificial if you have 5 friends. If you're in a clan (10 guys does not constitue a clan) then there is no way you can play together in ranked mode. You won't be able to get recruits as easy and members will spend more time playing on IWNet instead of populating servers in other games. The loss of recruits can affect money flow in forms of donation. IWNet is harmfull to clans!

8.) Honest players are taken advantage of in IWNet and have no means to protect themselves. Games can be hacked with script inserting tools. Exp yeilds can be altered and max rank and emblems can be unlocked automatically. This happens, when I gave MW2 a go-round when it first came out I was hacked to prestige10 with all unlocks very early on. I went into the game files to delete my stats and then the very next day I was hacked straight to prestige10 again. After that I backed out of every single lobby on rust just to avoid getting hacked again. I gave up the game not to much longer though

7.) With IWNet there is no community. With IWNet you're randomly joined to a game. There is a high chance you'll never see someone ever again after disconnecting from a lobby. There is no means to build a community by players joining a server in similar location, similar interests (boobies and beer servers xD), or by a favorable ruleset (whether it be no rules, no bad language, or no noob guns). Without community you can't build a foundation for a clan.

6.) IWNet has no means to stop hackers or abusers. Whether VAC works or not, when you're in a lobby, there no way to take care of someone who is using an aimbot or other hack. IWNet has no way to know he's hacking so often times it'll just keep connecting you to the same lobby. People will get frustrated and download a tool that will allow them to spam someone out of the server with command overflow. This tool is almost always used against innocent players. Most people with aimbots or wallhacks also have a hack that forces them to be the host and therefore cannot be kicked. If you keep a server on your favorites that has good admins, you won't ever have to worry about playing against hackers. If by chance you are banned unfairly, a quick appeal on the clans forum and you'll be back in the action and there is a good chance the offending "power-raged" admin will be taken care of by clan administration

5.) IWNet offers convience at the cost of removing integral parts of the game. With IWNet you can party up with friends and find a game easily. But you give up a list of things. A steady connection to the server, a foolproof layer of defence against hackers, the choice of playerslots, custom rulesets that appeal to you, maxfps, lean, console, editable config. With dedicated servers you have to actually look for a server to join but with a favorites and filter servers options, its not hard at all. And you can save the server to your favorites for later. If the server you're looking for is empty play 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 with your friends. In five minutes it'll fill up.

4.) IWNet offers services that we gave ourselves access to before Elite at the cost of removing said parts of the game. Ultrastats, B3, and Promod gave certain clan servers appeal over anothers. With IWNet we give up our ranked dedicated servers, our choice of player count, and our custom ruleset just to get a stat tracking service that already exists. Are leaderboards really that important to you guys? Why not play on your favorite dedicated server and compete with your friends (and maybe enemies) for the top position on that leaderboard? Best part? These are legit and are not attacked by hackers

3.) IWNet has no support for official mods. Modded lobbies start to appear after a script injector is coded for the game, but you have no choice into when to get put into them, many times your rank is altered and your challenges screwed up. Additionally if you join one hosted by yourself or a friend on purpose you run the risk of being banned by VAC. You are even at the risk of being banned by IWNet if you're thrown in to one randomly. On dedicated servers, mods are unranked to the games progression, for the most part are very well done, and add overall to the games experience and playability and lifetime

2.) IWNet has limited player support. All gametypes are limited to 6v6 except for TDM and DOM. While some players find this to be an ideal amount, the ones who find more fun lies with more players are straight out of luck. IWNet doesn't allow for more than 9v9 and only on certain maps. While 32v32 Shipment servers are huge overkill, there are many more servers that aren't that.

1.) PC players never wanted, nor asked for IWNet. What PC players did want we're ways to make it easier to play with friends. They could have created a pregame lobby system that throws you into a dedicated server and starting with the begining of the next match organizes teams via the party. They could have coded in an autobalance that gives players on each other friends list priority over those who are just random. Balancing over randoms instead of people who wanted to be on the same team. Instead they gave copy-and-pasted the crappy Xbox System and taped a peice of paper over it and called it IWNet. http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2369799 If anyone can listen to BASH123 and tell me that IWNet was an innovation that greatly enhanced the PC community and not just a lazy shortcut that is ruining it, I call that man a liar.

Could not have said it better.

D0T-C0M

keep crying up a river poison_pawn NOTHING IT GOING TO CHANGE LOL

[pde]paulkersey

Ignore him poison. He's miserable about life and this is the best he can do. He's seeking attention.

D0T-C0M

No actually I'm super exicited about this game because its going to be everything BlackOps should have been.  Its funny to see these cry babies come here crying that they didn't get everything they wanted when they got a very good dedicated system that should be super fun for those that want to play this game in that environment.  I'm also a PC gamer and have been all my life and to see some of you post here as some super PC community that speak as if its every damn PC gamer that holds your views needs to be told WHOA just a minute not everybody is of your opinion.

Yeah DOT I've seen you in my servers; and I notice you're unaffiliated (no tags) which tells me you're one of the little chicks that didn't want to till the ground, plant the wheat, or pick it, wouldn't help kneed the dough, or bake the bread; but some how feels entitle to eat it.

If you're not involved with, contributing to the "ONLINE COMMUNITY; this whole issue does not concern you.

It doesn't matter to you that the servers we might potentially be PAYING for, might not have any appeal to the likes of you who we endearingly call PUB,

this game is set to release in 11 days and no GSP (game service provider) even knows whether they're going to provide service for this game or not. (Do to the lack of answered questions)

But those of us who do set up the servers THAT YOU want to play on have legit concerns.

And your trolling is only clogging the only avenue we have to, PERHAPS get those answers.

so if you're not coing to cotribute something; could you please go play on one of the console theads?

D0T-C0M

Nope I've never been in your servers.  I can't stand ego-striken admins like you.

D0T-C0M

What anwsers are you looking for that you don't already have?  There aren't going to be ranked.  The rest is pretty much known at least all the important stuff.  The only thing I saw you spew out is how you want the game changed so that everybody has to use only dedicated servers.

Oh BTW I will not be playing on any other dedicated server nevermind any of yours.  The only ones that I might be on would be the one I host on my own machine another clan member with a good connection to host our clan matches. There's not much chance I'll be playing on much else but the matchmaking system 99% of the time.

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Great, love when my threads turn into trollfests. While I'm only providing logical points why dedicated servers are the better options to IWnet only (it has its niche but it is an inferior system). My opinions might go unheard and i might be wasting my time. But i have no chance to be heard by keeping silent

D0T-C0M

I am truly sorry it has come to this because I do find you do bring out some good points.  Its just when people begin to post stuff as if they are representing the whole gaming community then I can't help myself but to post in opposition.  If you qualified it as it being your opinion or the opinion of some gamers (but not all because that's a lie). 

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

I'm not saying its the opinion of all gamers. Not all gamers do feel the same way. I'm only stating my opinion and then backing it up with as many facts as I can. Many PC gamers are represented by clans. IWNet does have its fanbase, they shouldn't be ignored but I just don't believe they're the majority of PC gamers. Their are to many CoD4 servers, to many Black Ops servers for me to believe that the majority of the PC community likes IWNet. But why does Call of Duty have to only support one side when it would take less than a week of work to support both. Whether you're the 1% or the 99% we both should get a system that works

D0T-C0M

Well that's how I read you point #1

you said:

1.) PC players never wanted, nor asked for IWNet. What PC players did want we're ways to make it easier to play with friends. They could have created a pregame lobby system that throws you into a dedicated server and starting with the begining of the next match organizes teams via the party.

First off I would take IWNET over that system if that system is controlled by an admin that enforces custom rules!!!  That's why I say if it dedicated servers are to be ranked they must not be admined by joe blow from the the public because you cannot prevent them from enforcing custom rules.

you said:

1) They could have coded in an autobalance that gives players on each other friends list priority over those who are just random. Balancing over randoms instead of people who wanted to be on the same team.

Blackops gave that control to the admins to turn team switching and autobalancing on/off which created major headaches for those that wanted to play on the same team.

Again I am sorry your thread turned into a trollfest between me and poison but he is the exact example why gamers like me really hated our Black Ops experience and is the reason we are so against any attempt to return to that system.

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

I am sorry if it ever sounds like I'm attacking you or anyone else who likes IWNet, because I mean no disrespect to you. Its just the system of IWNet that I have no respect for. The way you post, you make an assumption that there is not a single server with a decent admins. Now while there are many servers on CoD4 that run custom rulesets its still pretty common to find a "anything goes" server. There will be some servers that have immature or idiotic admins as well. I do admit that. Thats why the favorite server option is so important. There are like-minded people like you dotCOM. People who want to play the game the way the designers meant it. Those servers would exist, be sure to support that community that is hosting that server then. Not all server admins are idiots, it just takes some effort to find the gem in the rough sometimes. This is why I stand so firm with dedicated servers, IWNet is good for some, and to each his own. But the only scenario where IWNet is better in every aspect than dedicated servers is if your a hacker and they suck!

Also I know what you are talking about with Black Ops. Unlocking 2 dvars that already existed within the game doesn't count. I'm talking about a complete rehaul of the friends and autobalance system. That was just a pathetic attempt by Treyarch to make it easier to play with friends. I respect alot of the points you make dotCOM but I can not respect IWNet nor IW's efforts to provide the best PC experience possible

D0T-C0M

I know that I must sound like I find every admin to be an A-hole but I know there are some really really nice guys out there that are admining some really good servers.  I guess I was so badly burnt by Black Ops starting from forcing everybody to pay for a server from a single server supplier.  I was not going to pay a further monthly fee especially when the game was so badly optimized. Not to mention the total lack of team play.  To add salt to the wound they gave admins the control over autobalance and team switching.  At first I too wanted a lobby system where the lobby host could choose a dedicated server in his favorites list but it became a nightmare when 2 out of 3 servers had custom rules.  Now we come to the DLC map packs which further diluted the servers to the point that if you didn't buy them all you found yourself with a very limited couple of servers that had decent ping.  All my friends (about 20 or so) all left because of all this frustration and returned back to MW2.  We mostly enjoy the fact that you can join a lobby together and quickly find a server with no rules and no admin to ruin the experience.  Of course we had to deal with the occasional lag or hacker but it was only a nuisance and for the most part the game was most enjoyable.  Not at all comparable to BlackOps.  So you can see why I am so opposed to ANY suggestion that we should have a dedicated server "only" system if it is a system like Black Oups.

ps Again I am truly sorry for your thread getting out of hand.  I only wish there were more people like yourself here on this thread where a good discussion can be had.

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

Thanks dotCOM, I really do enjoy a good discussion and am enjoying going back in forth with you on this issue. Black Ops was not an ideal system for CoD. The DLC can really split the community. You either buy all of them or you buy none of them. Its almost impossible to find a match on IWNet if you only bought resurgance pack. My best friend only bought the resurgance pack and he cannot get a decent ping in any playlist but TDM. I don't think its that hard to get connected to a game with both packs or no packs but gettting connected with a good ping is a struggle if you want to play objectives. I don't know. I admit that I bought MW2 but I play it on aIWNet because i can't stand laggy games. DLC is the same on Black Ops but at least you have the option to play offline with Bots or on Zombies.

[pde]paulkersey

D0T-C0M wrote:

I know that I must sound like I find every admin to be an A-hole but I know there are some really really nice guys out there that are admining some really good servers.  I guess I was so badly burnt by Black Ops starting from forcing everybody to pay for a server from a single server supplier.  I was not going to pay a further monthly fee especially when the game was so badly optimized. Not to mention the total lack of team play.  To add salt to the wound they gave admins the control over autobalance and team switching.  At first I too wanted a lobby system where the lobby host could choose a dedicated server in his favorites list but it became a nightmare when 2 out of 3 servers had custom rules.  Now we come to the DLC map packs which further diluted the servers to the point that if you didn't buy them all you found yourself with a very limited couple of servers that had decent ping.  All my friends (about 20 or so) all left because of all this frustration and returned back to MW2.  We mostly enjoy the fact that you can join a lobby together and quickly find a server with no rules and no admin to ruin the experience.  Of course we had to deal with the occasional lag or hacker but it was only a nuisance and for the most part the game was most enjoyable.  Not at all comparable to BlackOps.  So you can see why I am so opposed to ANY suggestion that we should have a dedicated server "only" system if it is a system like Black Oups.

ps Again I am truly sorry for your thread getting out of hand.  I only wish there were more people like yourself here on this thread where a good discussion can be had.

Well, at least I understand now. I couldn't tell what was going on with some of your post. This seems more sensible.

{bhc}max|co

I hate iwnet , especially the way it replaced dedi servers on mw2 , and FAILED  to deliver ITS promises.

So what makes iwnet on mw3 any different? after a short period of lagfest disconnections/ host migrations, the hackers will strike, and will keep on striking unopposed..

If iw wanted so much for iwnet to work ,then they should at least have fixed it on mw2 first, or does our millions of dollars/pounds spent there not count anymore?

Tunnleram

The thing that really bothers me is that everyone's needs and wants could have easily been handled.

Not to get into a BF3 COD discussion, but if you look at what BF3 did with their server situation it meets the same objectives. You can form a party and quickly join a server automatically, but the servers in the quick match pool are actually dedicated servers that are ranked. At the same time you have the ability to have unranked servers too.

What in the world is so difficult about this system?

I guess the only thing is that it requires servers exists for console gaming.

Great post. Too bad that what you wrote here is only for what's left of the PC community, since IW and Activision dont give a crap about us, and wont be even taking this post under consideration. They are only interested in our money,  and since the consoles give them the biggest profit, they will just port every single MW from the console to PC, including multiplayer solutions, unless their beloved X360 gets so far behind in technology they will have no other option then to give PC players what they want or they will get no profit, when the graphics/possibilities of X360 will be way too far behind the PC. Untill then, they will just sugar us with those oh-so-hyped trailers showing tons of new features, but the real truth that lies under this bullcrap will remain hidden, just to be revealed and frustrate PC community when the game gets released, but then ofcourse, it will be too late to change anything, and as we all know very well, IW doesn't change anything in that regard. They just hide all the unconfortable facts that may jeopardize their sales, and avoid answering simple questions, following a rule - "They will buy the game anyway, cause there is no competition, they have no alternatives". Well, then, IW, and especially Activision - I wish you that you get confronted with a very powerfull competition from another company, I wish you that finally someone or something will force you to treat your customers with respect they deserve, we, the PC community made you, not those crappy consoles you turned to, leaving us behind. I wish you, that you get backed against the wall without other option than to start treating us seriously.

Well said

By screwing over the PC community so badly Activision is killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

BRING BACK PROPER DEDICATED SERVERS!!!!

Arcflare

Supporting this 100%. Get your act together IW. bring back that proper gaming experience that has been lost to your greed.