10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2011 10:15 AM by poison_pawn RSS

Dedicated Server Questions that Need Urgent Answers

Here we are with barely 2 weeks till launch, and fundamental questions about dedicated servers still need answering:

1. Are the server files stand-alone?

2. Does Steam have to be running in order for a dedicated server to run?

3. Can multiple servers run from 1 dedicated box? Or is it only 1 instance?

4. Is there an admin option for ranks/progression to be enabled on a server (as fourzerotwo's recent tweet suggests)?

At the moment, no Game Server Provider (GSP) is actually taking pre-orders for dedicated serves because no one trusts what AVTI/IW have said so far. I don't blame them. Things are far from clear at this point. The answers to the above questions will help to clarify the situation, and it sure needs clarifying. If they don't get their skates on and give some solid information out over the next week, there wont be many servers running on launch day.

I have tweeterd like mad trying to get some kind of response. I will give it to the end of the week, but if there is no movement on the information front, I plan to call the community to action - I will ask all those who have pre-ordered to cancel them. This seems to be the only way to get them to listen - to hurt them in the pocket.

I really hope it doesn't come to that. I hate having to threaten a company which has given me so much entertainment over the years. But if they wont listen, I'm afraid it might well come to it.

• Re: Dedicated Server Questions that Need Urgent Answers
    {bhc}max|co

I understand your frustrations very well m8, i too have problems getting answers to "important" questions, but if i ask a "complient" question, those seem to get answers xd..

i lost faith in iw wheith what they did to us as a community on mw2, and they have since made themselves clear, they are looking to unify the cod experience across board to a console game experience..

Did none of them think to unify the experience the pc way? with deid servers et all...

those "dedi" servers we have been promised, look far from cod2/cod4/waw type we have been used to.

I still think our mw3 "dedis" will be self hosted on our pc.

{BHC}Max @www.bhc-rangers.com

ps i didnt include cod1 or cod uo since i have no experience of those titles, i became cod aware  with cod2 xd, also i bought cod3 for ps3, sold it within a week for major waste of money.

D0T-C0M

It's too late to change anything now why not just wait till Nov. 8th and then people will know for sure.  After that you can make a decision if MW3 is a game you want to buy.  I made a huge mistake waiting in line at midnight for the release of BlackOps just to find out its the worst game ever released. 

D0T-C0M wrote:

It's too late to change anything now why not just wait till Nov. 8th and then people will know for sure.  After that you can make a decision if MW3 is a game you want to buy.  I made a huge mistake waiting in line at midnight for the release of BlackOps just to find out its the worst game ever released. 

Who mentioned change? I am asking for information. They are not the same thing.

D0T-C0M

You'll probably only know the answers to your questions on Nov.8,

1- Maybe its on purpose because as you can imagine it creates a huge huge amount of talk in about every gaming forum on the net.

1- Maybe he doesn't have authority to forward certain info by company policy.

2- Maybe he doesn't have the time to answer thousands of questions.

3- Maybe the info you seek will be seen as negative by you and others and they do not want negative promotion.

4- Maybe his resources are limited to promotion of the product.

5- Maybe he's more involved in promoting xbox/PS3 rather than PC LOL (probably).

Do like me wait till Nov.9th to purchase the game.  That way there will be no surprises for you.

D0T-C0M wrote:

You'll probably only know the answers to your questions on Nov.8,

1- Maybe its on purpose because as you can imagine it creates a huge huge amount of talk in about every gaming forum on the net.

1- Maybe he doesn't have authority to forward certain info by company policy.

2- Maybe he doesn't have the time to answer thousands of questions.

3- Maybe the info you seek will be seen as negative by you and others and they do not want negative promotion.

4- Maybe his resources are limited to promotion of the product.

5- Maybe he's more involved in promoting xbox/PS3 rather than PC LOL (probably).

Do like me wait till Nov.9th to purchase the game.  That way there will be no surprises for you.

This thread is asking for information. It isn't asking for it in order to make me or anyone else feel more comfortable about making a pre-order (which I never do and never will). It is asking for info so that the GSPs will start to trust that there will be server files and that they can host them. If the information doesn't get out before the release date, then there will be no GSPs pre-ordering servers. Which will mean no dedicated servers (or very few) on launch day.

I can't put it any plainer or simpler than that.

D0T-C0M

Well to add info to question #1

If the dedicated servers were just in game client hosted than why would they be freely downloadable and not part of the installation of the game thus separate of the core game, plus is has no video card requirements (meaning it doesn't care what video card you have)?  It just doesn't make sense that it would not be able to remotely host it off any server or a spare computer on your home network.

D0T-C0M wrote:

Well to add info to question #1

If the dedicated servers were just in game client hosted than why would they be freely downloadable and not part of the installation of the game thus separate of the core game, plus is has no video card requirements (meaning it doesn't care what video card you have)?  It just doesn't make sense that it would not be able to remotely host it off any server or a spare computer on your home network.

You would think, wouldn't you? But this is the problem - these goons define things differently than we do. The main fear here is that the dedicated server will require a Steam account and for Steam to be runing "online" in order for the servers to work. This just isn't doable from a GSPs point of view.

This is why we need clarification. And to top it all, just when we were all getting our heads around the situation more-or-less, Bowling drops this latest tweet saying that Admins can enable progression and ranks. What the hell does that mean? That there is a dvar whereby an admin can choose to turn on progressive ranking? This is something he himself has denined. Now, he is leaving the door open with this stupid ham-fisted tweet.

We got our answers:

A day after instigating a tweeter campaign (where I got as many people as I could to bombarded @fourzerotwo @michaelcondrey @glenschofield) asking the vital questions, Michael Condrey finally answered:

Q1. Are server files stand alone?

A. Yes

Q2.Does steam have to be running in order for dedicated server to run?

A. No

Q3.Can multiple servers run from 1 dedi box? or  is it just one instance?

A. Yes. multiple per

This is fantastic news! this means anyone - and I do mean anyone - can run a dedicated server, be they an individual or a company. No Steam account is needed to run them, and as such Steam does not have to be running. This means they will definitely run on a dedicated box, and we can in fact run multiple instances of a server on one box.

Thanks to everyone who took part in the campaign, and especially to Cprl.Rst (aka vampiejay) for getting the actual tweet response.

And thank you Michael, for taking the time out of your trip to London, to answer us.

Thank God for twitter!