22 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 1:41 PM by Tunnleram RSS

Plea to server owners.

wajackbauer

Ok guys basically I think every server owner in this game should lower the player limit to the same as it is on the PS3 and 360. The maps are designed for 12 players, (or they might be increasing it to 14 in MW3 I dunno) having 18 players on the PC version completely changes the game.

Discusss

• Re: Plea to server owners.
    [EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

personally I'm going to leave the limit at 18. While the maps are designed for 12 players, 18 players do no break the map. I can see how this could be a problem with 32 players on maps that don't have 32 spawnpoints like rust or nuketown

[pde]paulkersey

Nothing to discuss. The maps are much bigger than Black Ops, you will be able to find a 12 man server (just not ours, because this is PC), and if you don't use a server browser, you can easily check out IWNET because it's always 12 players and quiet, empty maps.

As far as EVERY server owner, you're better off on IWNET. EVERY server owner is ridiculous. Find a few servers that has 12 players and favorite them. Asking all server owners to limit themselves to an Xbox isn't going to happen. It's one of the reason we game on the PC in the first place.

I don't think it needs any discussion. This is choice. You have many choices and this is the PC. I almost feel this a troll statement.

Edit: When using a server browser, double click the player count header and it should show you the smallest amount of players to the largest.

wajackbauer

its a choice yes, but having the player limit at 12 is the "right" choice and is the ideal situation. I don't understand why everyone wants more players anyway, its way too hectic. If you want high player limits, don't play CoD. Having it at 18 just ruins and changes the game.

I mainly like TDM but I also like FFA, however I basically never played FFA throughout all of Black Ops because 18 player FFA is insane, especially on Nuketown.

[pde]paulkersey

A "limit" isn't the right choice for everyone. If you were here with the earlier CoDs, you would understand better. Black Ops doesn't represent CoDs and has left a bad impression in players minds. Do not focus on the nightmare that is Black Ops when talking about this game. If you want 'forced' 12 players and you don't want to use the server browser to actually search for a low player count server, then IWNET is for you and was built for you.

The right choice isn't restriction. The right choice is for you and I to have options instead of me being forced the way you want or you forced to play the way I want. Not every one will have lots of players and thats the beauty of dedicated servers and a server browser with filters. We don't want to be forced into console-like limits as we already have been for 2 years now.

It is time to wash Black Ops out of your head and don't turn back.

poison_pawn

Hey I have an idea: why don't YOU rent a server and run it any way you like; or just go back to you console. there is nothing to discuss here; our servers. our choice.

[pde]paulkersey

poison_pawn wrote:

Hey I have an idea: why don't YOU rent a server and run it any way you like; or just go back to you console. there is nothing to discuss here; our servers. our choice.

Hehe that's too much man. I think Black Ops has given players a hard time and actually because of it's restrictive ways. I think had it came proper from the start, people wouldn't be over here saying this, especially in a forum that deals with PC. I hope he didn't start playing CoD or experiencing servers for the first time starting with BO because it seems like he did.

poison_pawn

That is a good point; and i can't wait to see those good ol' server side cnfg files. whoot

hope we're not dissapointed...I don't think we will be; if they where B.O. style locked down files, we would know by now; and there would be no reason to keep them unranked.

I am stoked: WHoot Whoot and whoot

P.S. they're just because gameservers is only allowing pre-orders of 18 lot servers [at this time] (some GSPs are already offering MORE) doesn't mean they will be restricked to 18 slots. it just means they don't know yet.

and please don't post a Vauge twitter; that could easeily apply to any number of senarios; and leaves more questions then answers

It would be nice if most servers would limit to 12 max, but it won't happen. Too many people like to increase the player count for two reasons.

1) It's a LOT easier to "spawntrap" the other team and rack up tons of spawnkills.(BO)

2) It's easier to hide and rack up tons of kills with a crowd of enemies swarming the map. (CoD4)

The maps are all designed for 12 players max, and as soon as you start to increase that number you break the spawn system and it becomes a game of camping spawnpoints. Black Ops is a perfect example, nearly all servers run at 18 max, and the game is plagued by bad spawns. Yet find one of the rare 12 man max servers and surprise surprise, the problems with the spawns vanish.

Just look at CoD4, the beloved god of gaming that everyone holds up for comparison. In EVERY SINGLE game where you have more than 20 or so people it's nothing more than spawning in a crowd and moving to a vantage point to spray into the enemy spawn area. The spawns RARELY rotate around the map the way they do in 6v6 games. It is especially bad on maps like Backlot, or Strike.

Having overpopulated maps also completely ruined the killstreaks in CoD4. The helicopter either becomes a tool of death (die, call it in and it gets another one in seconds, rinse repeat) or it gets destroyed in half a second (due to a crowd of people shooting at it) Not to mention a well placed airstrike can easily net 20-30 kills (even more with games over 32 max players)

Bottom line CoD4 is MUCH more balanced and a hell of a lot more fun with 6v6. Unfortunately those of us who want good balanced gameplay are always going to be screwed by the majority who just want to dumb it down and make it easy.

[pde]paulkersey

Please Read: http://www.callofduty.com/message/105926871#105926871

This isn't Black Ops. Also, why do people act like every server has 92 players in it? I click on the player count filter in CoD4 to get in a server I want to play in. It's not that hard to choose. Fortunately, there's server browsers that gives players a choice. no one's forced into servers that are 24 players or 8 players. You can play in an 8 players server without OP trying to cripple others. You both have that 'choice'.

No one tells you what server to play in and you don't have to restrict thousands and thousands of servers to 8 players just to get what some want. 24 or 32 doesn't mean that is where YOU will play. It means you can pick in a server browser from 2 to 32. All servers aren't actually 32. Black Ops has small maps and a ranked server restrictive limit and Nuketown maps. Unranked gives you much more variety and many more places to play.

Solution: Double Click the Player Count field in the server browser and only join those 8 player servers. This way, you choose what YOU want.

[pde]paulkersey

Btw, I don't want our server packed at a 6 on 6 limit because we have guys who need to admin the server and make sure there aren't any negative things taking place. I hope there's a way to do private slots because we don't want to kick any players from our server for being full all of the time.

I don't mind if someone else has 6 on 6 or 4 on 4 because that has nothing to do with our server and I would be happy with that 'choice'. I may even go to some 4 on 4 servers from time to time just to check them out. However, I don't want to restrict players like that. The size of these maps are a good mix of CoD4/WaW and WaW had the biggest maps in a CoD game.

We always had admin around or friends of ours that would act as moderators because we are serious about cheaters and super negative players on our server. I'm happy it isn't tiny as Black Ops.

I actually am happy that both IWNET (not for me) and dedicated servers exist. IWNET has all the limitations one could ask for.

I lol'd at your reply paul.

Nobody is acting like there are 92 players in any server... The biggest ones in CoD4 usually have 50, with most at 32 max. And who filters the server browser by player number... It filters by number of players in the server, NOT the max player count. Then you'd have to check the ping of each server you found to make sure it was local. I don't know about you paul, but I'm pretty sure most of us filter by PING, so we can find a server we can play without 100+ ping and horrible lag. When I filter on CoD4 by ping I usually get about a page of servers under 100, and guess what, most of them are 32 max, with only a handful lower at 20. The few servers I found at 12 (and one I actually saw at 8) were 300+ ping and on the other side of the world. .

Nobody is trying to restrict anyone to 8 players max. I lol'd when I read that part. They designed the maps for 12 players max (18 in groundwar) Thus THAT is what the servers should be restricted to because THAT is what the maps were DESIGNED for. They have already said unranked dedi's can have 18 max, and most probably will. We are saying that most of them SHOULD be set  to 12 since that is what the maps were designed for.

Your gross overexaggeration just shows that you're upset that you might not get to play MW3 with 20-30 players in a room.

Solution: Just make a MW3 mod for CoD4 and play that. That way you get what YOU want.

[pde]paulkersey

Hehe funny post. Nice one at that. I like the CoD4/MW3 mod thingy.

My point is that it's optional. You can say the maps were built only for only 12 max, but on WaW right now, we have 26 people playing and the maps are larger than that in terms of CoD. Yes I did use the number 92 because there are people acting like they won't be able to find a server to play on that isn't.

If you read the guy's post above, he wants all of us to have a 12 player restriction on all servers which is asking too much when we all have choices and options. I have seen the maps and they're not tiny, Black Ops maps. I like to have enough slots in the server for balance and to handle a situation should one present itself. I wouldn't do any crazy numbers because I know how to balance and I'm not that type of admin. However, asking for 12 player servers only is a stretch because 100% of server admin don't think like a few people.

I'm not against 12 as you can read my post above yours, because I can see you have missed it. I am against tiny limits (and console restrictions) and I wouldn't impose restrictions like that. I like for players to enjoy themselves and for our admin to get in there and be active for the players, not kicking anyone out because they can't get in.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

WaW had maps designed around tanks. As a result they were larger and I could see 26 being somewhat balanced on 2 or 3 of the largest maps. But for most WaW maps 26 would be overpopulated. Odd you use the one CoD title that had larger maps for your comeback instead of the beloved CoD4 (which i'm sure you run on a 24 player server there also)

My point is that it is NOT optional. When I go into CoD4 and get a page of servers under 100 ping and none of them are less than 20 players max. Just because the majority like to have it easy doesn't mean the minority should be screwed out of being able to play the the game the way it was meant.

It seems pretty clear to that you ARE against a 12 (or even 18) max player count. The only arguments you can offer are

-Use the filters to search by player number

-Stick with IWNet

As I already stated above searching by player count is just plain stupid. You really shouldn't offer that as a defense anymore. Anyone with a brain will search by PING then look on that page for player number.

IWNet is not an alternative. It is something we are stuck with because of people like you. Running servers with overpopulated player counts or retarded rules is why they took ranked dedi's away in the first place.

So I do indeed see exactly where you are coming from. You are upset that you can't have a ranked 24+ man server in MW3.

Stick with CoD4 and WaW...MW3 isn't for you.

[pde]paulkersey

Bruh, this isn't a battle. If you can't read anythying I said, that's bad for you. I don't win a prize 'battling' here nor do I get paid for it (that would be nice). Your brain seems to be overpopulated also.

None of my words above yours didn't get read or else you wouldn't keep saying things that I'm not saying. I'm NOT against 12 players as long as it doesn't interfere with OUR server. I'm NOT against whatever it is YOU want to do as long as I don't have to do it because we ALL have choice.

I don't run a server just for me, myself, and I. There are lots of players we cater to and we maintain that for them. I COULD be an a**hole similar to you, but that's not what I'm about. Selfishness isn't what I am about. There's no overpopulation at our server. You don't take the time to read anything I have posted so if your are going to ignore all of what I'm saying, what's the point?

I'm inclusive with what I say as there IS choice. OP only wants 6 on 6, I don't want 6 on 6 and guess what? We can do both because theres an Option for it. He (and you) can find and play on a 6 on 6 server, and we can run what we want on ours. Everyone doesn't have to be the same. I look at an overall picture and what would be best for the players. However you use the server filters, use it for what benefits you. I don't care what method you use as long as you find what you want personally.

In earlier post in this forum, my point was made. Find where you want to go and don't dictate for others. I am not going to restrict our server for what the OP suggests because we will all be able to choose. I don't know how you don't get that or how you can't read.

Btw, who said I wanted ranked? Ranked = restrictions as far as I'm concerned. I wish OTHER people could have ranked however it could be done for them. Try reading.

afflictedmed

I agree with your CoD4 assessment.  It spawns terribly with 32+ players.

As for Black Ops 9V9 is good on the larger maps, but I do enjoy 6v6 the best.  As a run and gunner it gives me room to breath and flank the enemy and get into great gun v gun situations.

For the same reason, I hat maps like Nuketown.  Spawn, move to the first corner, kill, die, spawn.  Barely any movement.

afflictedmed

I agree with your CoD4 assessment.  It spawns terribly with 32+ players.

As for Black Ops 9V9 is good on the larger maps, but I do enjoy 6v6 the best.  As a run and gunner it gives me room to breath and flank the enemy and get into great gun v gun situations.

For the same reason, I hat maps like Nuketown.  Spawn, move to the first corner, kill, die, spawn.  Barely any movement.

i'm sorry, i couldn't take you serioiusly with that font.

all jokes aside, i never liked how CoD4 servers contained 16 vs. 16 players but i enjoyed MW2 a lot more since there were less people on the maps. this is because like everyone says, the maps were made for 12 players as they aren't as big  compared to a game like battlefield 3. it just seemed to hectic fighting against so many players. for example, on a 64 player FFA server on a map like shipment, it became so hectic that i would spawn and die almost instantaneously until i get spawned in a corner of the crates. 6 vs. 6 or 9 vs. 9 for MW3 seems pretty ideal for me especialyl for TDM/DOM. being on the competitive side of the call of duty franchise, 5v5 for SnD is what i would only prefer but that's just me.

No one really knows at this point how the maps will play out.

Our servers will be all set at a minimum of 18 players.  Hopefully up to 32 eventually.

We play mostly the search & destroy game mode, one life, no respawning until the next round so having 32 players shouldn't be a problem, we have 64 player servers in COD4.

If a map is too small (like COD4 Shipment) then it is removed from the map rotation.

Everyone that has their own server should have it set the way he wants it to be, after all, who's paying for it?

slayer247

Not really sure why I would want to limit a server to 6v6,especially if I am the one paying for it.Plain and simple GET YOUR OWN SERVER.Don't come into a forum online and try telling people how they should run their servers.If you ever came into my server I would probably boot you just because you seem like you would be one of those whiney pain in the asses that would sit there and cry all the time and most likely ruin the game for everyone.Also I dont care what PS3 and XBOX are limited to I lpay on a PC for a reason.

wajackbauer

To answer people's questions, I've been playing since CoD4 (skipped WaW),

There's A LOT of thought put into map creation, they're not just like "Ok lets put this wall here... and this house here".

You say to simply look for servers with a 12 player limit, but that will be hard to find, especially since the default player count is most likely set to 18 when running your own server. Not to mention a lot of people use the logic "bigger is better"

[pde]paulkersey

People can set it to whatever number between 8 and 18 so with all of these people coming back to CoD for servers (I'm one of them), there should be a 12 player server somewhere.

I will say that there are a lot that will go with 18 partially because it helps with maintaining the servers for particular purposes, sometimes for your protection. For example: we already have 4 admin and we like to protect the players that come to our server and it's the same way we would like to be protected when going to another server. It's true we can't be there 24/7 (although we are working on it), but we will be there enough so that players don't have to suffer at the hands of others. I wouldn't want to kick you out while you're in the middle of playing. It doesn't feel fair to us.

It's also true that there will be people who run the default 18 not just because bigger is better to some, but because we don't want the Xbox 360 on us. We want it the PC way. Truthfully, 18 is small anyways, but I think you will find that 12 you are looking for. May not be day one, but who knows.

Tunnleram

Server owners? Who's going to own a server?