In game dedicated server option

Can't show images here so here's a link:

http://www.10-78.com/forums/showthread.php?p=241229#post241229

Message was edited by: 10-78busterking

• Re: In game dedicated server option

hey can you post any image on if there is dev console or fov option

I'm not trippin' yo!

What I was attempting to say was that it'll take a while for GSP's to integrate the configuring of these servers into their game CP's.  ie.

1. Create a set of recipes
    2. Create a playlist
    3. Start the dedicated server executable
    4. Invoke the playlist on the server
    5. Start the map rotation

Sure, they will accomplish this by making the text files available for edit, but it won't be up and running on launch day.  Recipes, playlists, map rotations.

There won't be FTP, so how's it going to work?

Truth is, it won't -- at least at launch.

Yeah, the GSP's didn't need to know this prior to now at all. 

http://forums.gameservers.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46896&start=30

"For launch, we are not allowing FTP

We will look to see how not having FTP will hinder the ability for the admin to properly administrate their MW3 server

We will provide access to all of the config files that are needed for the game from our control panels and we will also provide a method to download and stream your logs.

First and foremost, we will be ensuring that the server is hosted properly. Once that is confirmed and setup for all those that have preordered, we will reexamine the option for FTP"

It seems like GS will have the files available for edit at launch.  Good thing too. 

Still no FTP though.

This is a GS.com only decision.

The files are out there and free. The fact that GS.com is chosing to lock it down for no reason is beyond me.

I know the company I work for are launching with full files accessible via ftp, and the configs etc editable by the panel.

We're (hoping) the config files are like COD4 so doing this shouldn't take more than 10-15mins.

I got my dedicated server running on my box without Steam running.

I posted my initial findings here:

http://www.raidersmerciless.com/showthread.php?p=93252#post93252

I will do a full PDF tutorial once the game is released and I can work out what all the dvars are for in the DSPL files (there are over 650 of them).

One thing which will disappoint - there IS NO OPTION to enable progression/ranking up.

There IS AN OPTION to use custom classes instead of default classes and manual selections, but the unlocks have to be acheived on IWNet.

You CANNOT save your manual selections - custom classes don't save data on dedicated servers.

well tat sux: oh well what are you gonna do?

They said that this would be the case already. They lied to us.

Ranking up is just like MW2!!!!!!!!

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

So basically you can only use default classes or you can use the classes you unlocked on IWNet? Is there any .menu file that sugests there is a weapon select like ModWarfare? or are we gonna have to wait to be disappointed

Well what a huge disappointment yet again. The gimped weapon selection will doom dedicated servers. In COD4 we had mod tools to fix it but if peeps have to go to iwnet to get weapons they will not go to dedis. Once again they have found a way to crush the pc community and make us conform. No sale for me. Back to BF3.

_FK_ wrote:

Well what a huge disappointment yet again. The gimped weapon selection will doom dedicated servers. In COD4 we had mod tools to fix it but if peeps have to go to iwnet to get weapons they will not go to dedis. Once again they have found a way to crush the pc community and make us conform. No sale for me. Back to BF3.

If you didn't know that there is no ranking up on unranked servers by now, then I am surprised. It has been made clear from the begining.

As for players "having to go to IWNet" to get their weapons, no they don't. Everything can be unlocked from the start. How did you not know this?

Personally, I think you are jumping the gun. Let's give the game a chance to be actually released before we throw in the towel on imagined "impressions" of how things will work.

I am reacting to what you said in your post. I understood youto say we can create custom loadouts but the weapons would have to be unlocked in crapnet before we could use them. Is that not what you are saying?

_FK_ wrote:

I am reacting to what you said in your post. I understood youto say we can create custom loadouts but the weapons would have to be unlocked in crapnet before we could use them. Is that not what you are saying?

No, we are talking at cross purposes. Let me try and make it clearer:

There are 2 options:

1. No custom classes. Admins can make anything available or restrict it. It works just like modwarfare.

The dvar to do this is in your .DSR file:

gameOpt commonOption.allowCustomClasses "0"

2. Custom classes. The player can only access what they unlock on IWNet.

The dvar to do this is in your .DSR file:

gameOpt commonOption.allowCustomClasses "1"

OK understood.... makes more sense to me now. It would have been nice fro them to allow custom clasess but I undertsand why they are not. I hate to be so sensitive on this but that part is extremely important. thx for clarifying.

[pde]paulkersey

I think he's saying Custom Class selection has to be unlocked with IWnet to use Custom classes.

-All weapons are unlocked, and you can pick them, but they don't save in a setup like Custom Classes.

-In order to use the Custom Classes feature in dedicated servers, you have to unlock the weapons in IWnet to save them in a Custom Class setup because, unfortunately, Custom Classes are tied to IWnet. Then Custom Classes can be used in dedicated servers, but they only save via IWnet.

Is this right Dante?

EDIT: I see I was late in typing

dante2010 wrote:

_FK_ wrote:

If you didn't know that there is no ranking up on unranked servers by now, then I am surprised. It has been made clear from the begining.

As for players "having to go to IWNet" to get their weapons, no they don't. Everything can be unlocked from the start. How did you not know this?

Personally, I think you are jumping the gun. Let's give the game a chance to be actually released before we throw in the towel on imagined "impressions" of how things will work.

Get some rest man: There's no need to get snipy; not every one lives on the forums, read up; no one here is asking the difrence between ranked and un ranked (the answer is in the names) the question was will we be able to save custom Class's on unranked server (which should be clear by now) except IW has been pretty vauge, and essoteric, about anything concerning P.C. (we can't all read every tweet that come down the line; which are all pretty  vauge anyway) personally i was hoping they had learned something from the openwarfare mod; and at least set it up, so we could use ranks, and costum class's per server (a pipe dream; i know) and I'm sure it won't take long for some one to do that for us

but in the mean time:

to make it easier to understand; at this point you can:

A. rank up, unlock weapons, and customizations, and save custom kits, on IWnet; that will cary over to any unranked server, that allows custom class's; minus what ever restrictions they might have

or

B.Select from ALL weapons, customization and perks; and load out each and every visit to a dedicated server; minus what ever restrictions they might have.

I hope this helps.

Yeah they said that you should be able to use any weapon and customaization in dedicated server!

will some one post up all the info as a forum post tomoz plzz about the dedicated servers and set up . Im at work and wont be back till late and want to run some servers off our box . Just be good to see some info on peeps tht have done it and if all ok and any good, by time i get back in

I got 6 dedicated servers going, not showing on Steam but they are with the HLSW gameserver tool:

http://www.10-78.com/Pics/1078mw3servers.jpg

They are located in Chicago, USA

Does anyone have the dedicated server on hlds ? the only download option I have is via the steam client, not exactly something I want to install on servers