13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2011 9:48 PM by SuperNerd RSS

Shotguns Need a Boost

I'm usually not one to complain, and I'm not without reason here, but it seems to me that shotguns are at an extreme disadvantage when compared to other Call of Duty games. They are horrible this time around for so many reasons.

First off, the hit detection is way off. I can be aiming right at the guy and still get a hit marker. And with a pump action shotgun, you can't afford to get a hit marker with all the other weapons being more powerful. Also, unlike in MW2, the maps aren't exactly tailored towards shotgun use. 90% of the maps I've played don't even have any CQ sections, most of them being tailored to assault rifle standards.

The worst part of all: Take a close quarters situation between a shotgun and a sniper, you're better off no-scoping with a sniper.

Go try it out. This problem has to be addressed.

I'm not just pro-shotguns, and I'm not hating on the snipers who run around quicscoping because I can see that the maps aren't designed for actual sniping either. I was really looking forward to this game, but every map is hands down and assault rifle's battleground.

• Re: Shotguns Need a Boost

Yes I've been playing with shotgun and it's a nightmare.

Range>bullet momentum>lower damage from further range. bullet drop is something they noticably added. I personally think they aren't suppose to have a 1 shot kill every time. plus with the flinch they get when you shoot them. give you time to shoot them again easily, before they get those 4 shots to kill you. BTW Bullet lag>hit detection.. having host would still not fix it much. there will always be a bit bullet lag till they bring dedicated servers..

But the thing is they're hardly ever a one hit kill. You're more likely to get knifed that to kill someone with a shotgun. Especially when using the pump action shotguns, after the first shot, you're pretty much dead if the other guy isn't.

The shotguns absolutely need a boost.  I honestly can't believe they made them worse than Black Ops shotguns which while not exactly terrible they definiteley needed some help, except for the Spas-12 that thing was a amazing as a semi-auto. The Striker also seems very similair to the BlOps Spas but Dear lord do the Pump actions need a boost.  God help me I  tried using the KSG and Spas in this game, but grinding for the damage proficiency is simply not worth it in the long run because it still takes more than one shot to kill with them.

The shotguns absolutely need a boost.  I honestly can't believe they made them worse than Black Ops shotguns which while not exactly terrible they definiteley needed some help, except for the Spas-12 that thing was a amazing as a semi-auto. The Striker also seems very similair to the BlOps Spas but Dear lord do the Pump actions need a boost.  God help me I  tried using the KSG and Spas in this game, but grinding for the damage proficiency is simply not worth it in the long run because it still takes more than one shot to kill with them.

Just my little rant:

I have never raged more at a video game in my life, using the 1887 I finally got the gold camo last night and MY GOD it was such a pain to grind. I have never ever concentrated so hard so i can react in seconds just to stay competitively at the top of the score board. I'm also no newbie shotty user as well, I have used them to the extreme in MW2.

There are 3 important things to take into account for a shotgunner: SURVIVABILITY, POWER and MOBILITY

First of all you reduced the player's health. When it takes less than HALF A SECOND to die from ANY WEAPON (and this is NOT even hardcore) what's the point in normal mode any more? Normal mode might as well be hardcore with HUD and minimap.

I've ran into a long corridor, see an enemy at the end with an assault rifle, I react in split second and attempt to run off to the side building beside the corridor because there was no way I would have a chance at him at this range. Guess what? I'm DEAD! Cause thats how fast it takes for you to die. And it's not a matter of lag!

Survivability is very important because unlike others we need to run up to enemies to do damage, running up to people frequently gets us into random crossfire, when we can't even survive for a few tiny seconds then how do you expect us to do damage? Sneak up on people? All the time? I don't think so.

Now about the shotgun's power, and this will be mostly directed at the pump actions. First of all the range is decent, it feels like it has been shortened a little, thats fine.

Secondly WHY ARE THEY SO WEAK? When there is a hitmarker 70% of the time, something is wrong, I've even got them point blank! We are pump action shotguns! We are suppose to be the strongest in close quarter combat! But instead of blasting the enemy to smithereens, I get a HERP DERP hitmarker! Normally if you do you can dodge or run for cover and live to see another shot but you know what happens when you get a hitmarker in MW3? You're dead!!! Because as explained above you die so fast even if you're beast a dodging you still rarely have a chance.

Why do this to shotguns? If you're gonna take survivability away from us at least let us kill in our appriopriate range!!! If not why even have them in the game? I had a match where this guy was using the Striker and me using the 1887, he out duels me every time!!! And it's not because of bad aiming, typically the pump action would have more range than the spam shotguns right? This is true, and I do hit him first always and then every time BAM HITMARKER!!! By the time i have time to cock it, he'd spammed me to death!! Do you really want the only useful shotgun to be those "mindless press the shoot button as fast as you can while yelling at the top of your lungs" shotgun?

This damage is unbearable before getting the range or damage proficiency, after getting those hitmarkers did lessen by a TINY bit but not enough to make the weapon viable.

Lastly is hit register, hitmarkers are bad enough and those happen 70% of the time, another 20% is bullet registering. So often I had shot point blank into someone or a group of people without getting any hits. What's up with that?

I'm not gonna discuss mobility because I see no problem there

TL:DR Hitmarkers and no hit registers are extremely common, combined with the lowered health makes shotgun users cry.

Please Infinity Ward, increased our health a little and buff shotguns to MW2 standards or you will turn them into the snipers of Black Ops

I completely agree. All of my friends and enemies on this game know that if i have a Spas-12 in my hands I decimate the other team. On MW2 I can go into a match of S&D and take out an entire team by myself 90% of the time 1 shot. In TDM i can go 30 and 5 with a shotgun.  On mw2 I do get hitmarkers but rarely and never at close range....ON MW3 I dedicated so much time and destroyed my KD ratio trying to get the Spas to top level. At first i said Ok i have to unlock damage proficiency before it will be a beast shot gun.....Guess what.....have noticed any difference it still sucks.  This morning i got into a match and GOT 5 !!!!!! HITMARKERS. LET ME REPEAT THAT  5 HITMARKERS. On the same guy. Back to back. from a range that i should have maybe gotten one. If you decided to make shotguns a primary weapon why make them so weak???? And don't get me started on if you go up against somebody with the SCAR-L. I think you took damage from the shotgun and gave it to that gun OMG it is extremely over powered from the beginning before you even rank it up. Please patch this. I am a run and gunner i love running with the shotty or quickscoping. I am not and never will be a camper. And i don't have the patience to hide in a corner and wait for someone to run by so i can sneak up behind them with my shotgun and hopefully not get a hitmarker from point blank range. I know everyone seems to be hating on this game. Im not I love this game, i love the graphics, i love the gameplay (except for what seems to be the new spawning guidelines) you have no idea how many times it has spawned 4 or 5 guys right behind me or even spawned me right behind the guy that just killed me. And I love the new kill confirmed game mode. And i think as most of us runner and gunners would agree WE ALL LOVE THAT YOU HAVE WEAKENED THE NOOB TUBES. nothing worse than a guy who camps in a corner with clamymores set up everywhere  just raining down grenades so he can get a nuke. I seemed to get a little of topic.. but yes please fix this problems with shotguns i have used every possible combination of perks and proficiencies and attachments to try to get my spas as strong as possible and its just not there and im about to stop using it cuz why play this game to just as they say "bring a knife to a gun fight" and spend 10 minutes running around dying.

I completely agree. All of my friends and enemies on this game know that if i have a Spas-12 in my hands I decimate the other team. On MW2 I can go into a match of S&D and take out an entire team by myself 90% of the time 1 shot. In TDM i can go 30 and 5 with a shotgun.  On mw2 I do get hitmarkers but rarely and never at close range....ON MW3 I dedicated so much time and destroyed my KD ratio trying to get the Spas to top level. At first i said Ok i have to unlock damage proficiency before it will be a beast shot gun.....Guess what.....have noticed any difference it still sucks.  This morning i got into a match and GOT 5 !!!!!! HITMARKERS. LET ME REPEAT THAT  5 HITMARKERS. On the same guy. Back to back. from a range that i should have maybe gotten one. If you decided to make shotguns a primary weapon why make them so weak???? And don't get me started on if you go up against somebody with the SCAR-L. I think you took damage from the shotgun and gave it to that gun OMG it is extremely over powered from the beginning before you even rank it up. Please patch this. I am a run and gunner i love running with the shotty or quickscoping. I am not and never will be a camper. And i don't have the patience to hide in a corner and wait for someone to run by so i can sneak up behind them with my shotgun and hopefully not get a hitmarker from point blank range. I know everyone seems to be hating on this game. Im not I love this game, i love the graphics, i love the gameplay (except for what seems to be the new spawning guidelines) you have no idea how many times it has spawned 4 or 5 guys right behind me or even spawned me right behind the guy that just killed me. And I love the new kill confirmed game mode. And i think as most of us runner and gunners would agree WE ALL LOVE THAT YOU HAVE WEAKENED THE NOOB TUBES. nothing worse than a guy who camps in a corner with claymores set up everywhere  just raining down grenades so he can get a nuke. I seemed to get a little of topic.. but yes please fix this problems with shotguns i have used every possible combination of perks and proficiencies and attachments to try to get my spas as strong as possible and its just not there and im about to stop using it cuz why play this game to just as they say "bring a knife to a gun fight" and spend 10 minutes running around dying.

I completely agree. All of my friends and enemies on this game know that if i have a Spas-12 in my hands I decimate the other team. On MW2 I can go into a match of S&D and take out an entire team by myself 90% of the time 1 shot. In TDM i can go 30 and 5 with a shotgun.  On mw2 I do get hitmarkers but rarely and never at close range....ON MW3 I dedicated so much time and destroyed my KD ratio trying to get the Spas to top level. At first i said Ok i have to unlock damage proficiency before it will be a beast shot gun.....Guess what.....have noticed any difference it still sucks.  This morning i got into a match and GOT 5 !!!!!! HITMARKERS. LET ME REPEAT THAT  5 HITMARKERS. On the same guy. Back to back. from a range that i should have maybe gotten one. If you decided to make shotguns a primary weapon why make them so weak???? And don't get me started on if you go up against somebody with the SCAR-L. I think you took damage from the shotgun and gave it to that gun OMG it is extremely over powered from the beginning before you even rank it up. Please patch this. I am a run and gunner i love running with the shotty or quickscoping. I am not and never will be a camper. And i don't have the patience to hide in a corner and wait for someone to run by so i can sneak up behind them with my shotgun and hopefully not get a hitmarker from point blank range. I know everyone seems to be hating on this game. Im not I love this game, i love the graphics, i love the gameplay (except for what seems to be the new spawning guidelines) you have no idea how many times it has spawned 4 or 5 guys right behind me or even spawned me right behind the guy that just killed me. And I love the new kill confirmed game mode. And i think as most of us runner and gunners would agree WE ALL LOVE THAT YOU HAVE WEAKENED THE NOOB TUBES. nothing worse than a guy who camps in a corner with claymores set up everywhere  just raining down grenades so he can get a nuke. I seemed to get a little of topic.. but yes please fix this problems with shotguns i have used every possible combination of perks and proficiencies and attachments to try to get my spas as strong as possible and its just not there and im about to stop using it cuz why play this game to just as they say "bring a knife to a gun fight" and spend 10 minutes running around dying.

I completely agree. All of my friends and enemies on this game know that if i have a Spas-12 in my hands I decimate the other team. On MW2 I can go into a match of S&D and take out an entire team by myself 90% of the time 1 shot. In TDM i can go 30 and 5 with a shotgun.  On mw2 I do get hitmarkers but rarely and never at close range....ON MW3 I dedicated so much time and destroyed my KD ratio trying to get the Spas to top level. At first i said Ok i have to unlock damage proficiency before it will be a beast shot gun.....Guess what.....have noticed any difference it still sucks.  This morning i got into a match and GOT 5 !!!!!! HITMARKERS. LET ME REPEAT THAT  5 HITMARKERS. On the same guy. Back to back. from a range that i should have maybe gotten one. If you decided to make shotguns a primary weapon why make them so weak???? And don't get me started on if you go up against somebody with the SCAR-L. I think you took damage from the shotgun and gave it to that gun OMG it is extremely over powered from the beginning before you even rank it up. Please patch this. I am a run and gunner i love running with the shotty or quickscoping. I am not and never will be a camper. And i don't have the patience to hide in a corner and wait for someone to run by so i can sneak up behind them with my shotgun and hopefully not get a hitmarker from point blank range. I know everyone seems to be hating on this game. Im not I love this game, i love the graphics, i love the gameplay (except for what seems to be the new spawning guidelines) you have no idea how many times it has spawned 4 or 5 guys right behind me or even spawned me right behind the guy that just killed me. And I love the new kill confirmed game mode. And i think as most of us runner and gunners would agree WE ALL LOVE THAT YOU HAVE WEAKENED THE NOOB TUBES. nothing worse than a guy who camps in a corner with claymores set up everywhere  just raining down grenades so he can get a nuke. I seemed to get a little of topic.. but yes please fix this problems with shotguns i have used every possible combination of perks and proficiencies and attachments to try to get my spas as strong as possible and its just not there and im about to stop using it cuz why play this game to just as they say "bring a knife to a gun fight" and spend 10 minutes running around die

sorry for all the reposts it kept saying error trying to post

Btw, have you seen those akimbo machine pistols??? They make shotguns looks like BB guns.