It's a sad day when the biggest developers of your favorite type of PC game (FPS) are casual gamers. I'm afraid that these kids don't know what PC gaming really was. The doom and quakes will never be made again because the money is in the counter strike and slower clones. The select few Elite gamers have to cope with the fact that the general public is slow and unskilled, so games are created to cater to them.
Could you imagine an actual elite soldier that's part of a Seal Team NOT being able to pull the trigger while running? Could you imagine him running out of stamina in 10 yards? lol it's just a big joke so kids can feel like they're doing well on occasion.
No one cares anymore about skill based games.
It's been a long slow downward spiral starting when Romero left id software.
The problem with catering to 'the community' is that 'the community' is a bunch of unskilled casual gamers.
The fact is that they don't see money in catering to us, our needs, our expectations, or our experience. It's all corporate now. It's up to random entrepreneurs with a good lotto ticket in their back pocket.
What PC community wants?
- Full developer console
- Hit-registry fix (no damn port from consoles, PC players will not play with ping above 200ms as default)
- Map-tools and Mod-tools
- RANKED & UNRANKED dedicated servers (Windows/Linux)
And a lot of cosmetic fixes, e.g.:
- Dedicated server list should be enabled by default
- Ping shown as numerical value NOT in bars (or an option to choose)
- an option to connect with dedicated server by IP address/domain name & port in server list
- Game profiles (for different settings - see CoD4 solution)
- VAC On/Off switch for mods testing purposes
- In-game (server) class creator/editor.
If Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Studios and Activision don't fix above mentioned issues and comply with suggestion they will loose PC players (once for all) who are fans of Call of Duty series.
Personally I won't buy any DLC untill we get console, ranked dedis etc.