36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 2:14 PM by XRaheemX RSS

My lag compensation fix

Like many of you, I have been horribly horribly frustrated with this lag compensation.  I read that bridging your XBOX with your computer and then bogging down your connection would fix it.
I bridged my XBOX with my computer (computer is connected to the internet wirelessly) and started youtube, netflix and some torrents.  This was too much.  I couldn't even hear my friend's talking and then my connection crashed.  I tried it again with no torrents, netflix or youtube.  This time I still couldn't get into a game. Finally I had my friend join a game and I joined his session in progress.

It was magical.

It was perfect! Bullets were hitting people right when I shot them! I didn't die after I ran around a corner once! I could actually knife someone! I played two more games after that and it looked like I was host. It certainly FELT like I was host.  It was amazing.

That was last night.  I played a couple more games this morning.  It was again quite difficult to get into a game but it finally happened.  The first game was laggy, but not lag-compensation laggy. Just every minute or so I'd get a big lag spike, rubber band around a bit and it was done.  Honestly I much prefer that type of lag over the compensation type.  The 2nd game I played was perfect though!

I think my lag compensation troubles are over.
Hope this helps someone.

• Re: My lag compensation fix
    steguino

shouldn't have to do that though.

I totally agree. This compensation crap is unacceptable. But at least I can enjoy the game now.

maccabi

rabidpickle wrote:

I totally agree. This compensation crap is unacceptable. But at least I can enjoy the game now.

"I bridged my XBOX with my computer (computer is connected to the internet wirelessly) and started youtube, netflix and some torrents.  This was too much.  I couldn't even hear my friend's talking and then my connection crashed.  I tried it again with no torrents, netflix or youtube.  This time I still couldn't get into a game. Finally I had my friend join a game and I joined his session in progress.

so basically you tried the "fix" found it screwed up your game and chat (as i said) removed the stuff you added ie tirrents ect and kept the bridge and it works .. and obviously that is more to do with a fix than maybe your original connection for your xbox was lacking?

how was your xbox connected in the first place and how is it connected to your pc?

I agree with you about prefering real lag over this client side induced lag. At least when my connection is poor in other multiplayer games I know it and I take steps to avoid fighting when its acting up. With such a harsh level of client side prediction this game has, you can be playing the game and never know your hitbox is really 3 feet behind you until you get killed by bullets bending around corners. Its quite maddening to me, at least, because my natural reaction to such obvious bs is to back out. I'll be damned if I let lag compensation keep me from playing though.

Pretty sure that is called a lag switch

But rock on with taking matters into your own hands to fix your problems.

When I hear lag switch I think of someone screwing up the game for everyone else. No one else was lagging badly that I could see.

Yea indeed, but depending on a few factor, the game could be compensating for your lag thereby putting your enemies at a disadvantage.

You could call it a less extreme, non-malicious, lag inducing methodology. 

maccabi

rabidpickle wrote:

When I hear lag switch I think of someone screwing up the game for everyone else. No one else was lagging badly that I could see.

thats because you cant see the game from their point of view to them you would be skipping all over the place, hence numerous people keep commenting on these dumb "fixes2 that you are screwing up everyone elses games

I was chatting with two people in the game and none mentioned I was skipping at all.
          And honestly when the game bends me over and touches me because I have a good internet connection...I don't really care what I have to do to enjoy the game. 

I was in the game with him, I did not get lagged and he was not glitching around.  Good theory you have there, but wrong.  He just got around getting hit with lag compensation.  Try this game on a 1.5meg connection, then try it on a 15 meg connection.  I guarantee you, you'll feel the difference.

A "lag switch" is when you hit the standby button on a router.  He's creating a network bottleneck.  Totally different. 

Also, lag switches are designed to manipulate the game so that everyone lags but the person using it.  What he's doing is only lagging himself.  Harmless.

not harmless. Hes ruining the game for everyone else by artificially lagging his connection, thus making it harder to register a hit on his character. Its a cheap exploit and shouldnt be used. Probably your connection set up in the first place that caused lag in the first place.

I lagged in BO. I dont lag in MW3. I turned off the video recording, set up a static IP for my xbox, put my xbox in the DMZ of my router, and voila, no lag.

The4lhHorseman

Lag only affects me if I have four bars. If my connection is three bars, I experience very little lag. I assume the connection bars have to due to my ping to the host. The smaller my ping the greater the lag induced by MW3 (probably to level the playing field), however this lag compensation, over compensates (sorry no other way to explain it, and creates such a huge delay that the game is near unplayable as host.

mjw3786

I had this same issue with Black Ops. I was using a 10Mbps down x 1Mbps up cable connection. It was a terrible experience.

Now I have a 50x5 connection and usually get host unless I join in progress so it's not an issue for the most part. Lag actually behaves like lag should. If a player in our lobby has 2-3 bars consistently, most people feel the lag when they drop from 3 to 2 or get completely disconnected.

In black ops there was also a huge issue for me whenever someone would join our game in progress. Everyone's connection would drop to 1 bar. That doesn't happen for me anymore.

Sorry to suggest this, but check in to getting a faster connection if you can. If you play a lot of online games like I do, it's worth the $99 a month for the faster speeds and to ditch the lag compensation.

FWIW, what you're doing is considered system tampering and could potentially get you kicked from XBL or MW3 if they feel like enforcing and the stars align against you, so be careful.

have fun y'all

unfortunately I do have the best connection available in my area. A few blocks down you can get fiber optics but...lets not talk about that. It makes me cry.

Also, this lag compensation type lag I get isn't a bad connection type of lag. Its dirtier. I would much rather have people skipping around a little bit than this crap.

And, once again, I'm not system tampering. I am only bridging my XBOX connection through my PC.

mjw3786

1-the reason "proxying" it through the PC helps with the lag compensation: [this is no different than connecting the xbox and a PC to the same router/network and sucking the bandwidth on the PC, btw] -- it is misrepresenting your available bandwidth and ping to the server, therefore providing you with a different offset in the lag comp equation. the fact that they're doing this, people know they're doing it, and it is fairly easily tampered with should be a red flag to the developers that they need to get dedicated servers.

If you're actually using the PC as a proxy. Assuming you're savvy enough to do what you say and not just the shared router, you will need to forward all the standard XBL ports to the PC LAN IP address and then use your PC's software firewall to do the same to the Xbox. Some combination of forwarding/DMZ may work as well.

part of me thinks they screwed the pooch on this "elite" service. they can't get that to work correctly, so i have limited faith in their ability to provide MP server space on the scale required with any quality close to something like BF3/EA [LMFAO] -- but I digress.

2-I know the lag comp you speak of pickle. You're dead when you're behind a corner. The killcams show your enemy shooting a pigeon while you ACTUALLY fired half a clip in them before you saw any lead coming your way. It's a disaster of a design model and it's very unfortunate that it persists in mw3. I actually traded my black ops in at Prestige 12 or 13 because I just couldn't take it any more. I hope your experience improves.

3-If you have Time Warner in your area, call them up and ask about Wideband / DOCSIS 3.0 - I think they called it "Signaure Home" at launch, but I was able to get a rep on the line and tell them "give me the fastest speed DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plan you have ASAP." As soon as it was available in this area he called and scheduled a tech to bring it out. It is fantastic.

good luck man

Everything I have read says to downgrade your bandwidth so the lag comp doesn't crush you. I have 20/2 from time warner and I am about to cancel a scheduled appt to install the new 30/5 service that just became available at my house. I almost always have a 4 bar connection now no matter what I do. Now that's a problem? What a mess. I wish they could just leave it how it was in MW2. Am I going to have to go back to that game again? And how can I tell if I am host?

sorry in advance for the nooby question, but how do I bridge my xbox with my PC? I have wireless internet also.

I have a 35/35 fiber connection and I get tore up by the lag comp after the first one or 2 games and usually always go negitive after.  Its a touch better ater the last update, but still really hard to play.  Cover is pointless.

I don't really know why I'm still posting on these threads, but here goes.  The speed of your connection (IE x UP/ x down) does NOT change your ping to the host and does NOT change your "lag compensation formula" as you all are calling it.  Downgrading your internet connection will NOT give you an advantage (at least not because of lag compensation).

You CANNOT remove lag compensation from online gaming, PERIOD.  It is REQUIRED and has been in all games since the early 90s.

By increasing your latency to the host, you are effectively ruining the experience of all other users in the game.  Guess what, you got EVERY kill when you rounded the corner.  Do you realize what that means about the people you are killing?  Now THEY are on the boards talking about how lag compensation is killing them.

I WISH I could get everybody in these forums to not only go READ this article, but understand it as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag_(online_gaming)

This article explains the methods currently available to deal with online lag.  I don't know which method they've used in this game, but I do agree it needs tweaking.

I'm not saying it's not a problem, I'm saying your REASON (in your minds) for not doing well is flawed. 

When I die AFTER moving behind cover, I at first think "why did I just die" and then realize "Oh wait, the other person ACTUALLY did shoot me BEFORE I went behind the wall, his data packets just haven't hit the host yet".  If we would have been in the same room, he would have still hit me as soon as he saw me and I would have died BEFORE I went behind the wall.  This is what most people don't understand.  They THINK they made it behind the wall because on their screen they did, but in all reality they never actually made it.

Lag compensation exists to attempt to make this as much of a balance of SKILL as possible.  In this case, they messed up first go-round, but I think it's much better after TU7 and will get even better after the next patch.