13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2012 10:55 AM by adw1983 RSS

Do Guns in MW3 Kill Faster Than Black Ops' Guns?

I'm sure most of you have heard people say something along the lines of "Wow, the guns in MW3 kill way too fast," or "I die too quickly in MW3."

The funny thing is that only a couple guns kill faster than all of the guns in Black Ops. Crazy, huh?

Every fully automatic Assault Rifle (and two SMGs) in Black Ops killed in a minimum of three bullets. The SMGs killed in a minimum of four bullets. Every Assault Rifle killed in a max of four bullets, and it was five bullets for SMGs. Furthermore, every gun (again, Assault Rifles and SMGs) in Black Ops had a fire rate of 750 RPM or 937.5 RPM.

In MW3, every fully automatic weapon kills in a minimum of three bullets (except the FAD; it takes four bullets). For the Assault Rifles, it can take up to four or five bullets to kill an enemy. For SMGs, it will take either five or six bullets. Unlike Black Ops, the fire rates for guns are more varied, and eight of the thirteen weapons have a fire rate faster than 750 RPM. However, only three of those weapons shoot faster than 937.5 RPM.

Now that we have same the basics covered, let's get to the math. Even though the weapons in MW3 can take more bullets to kill an enemy, I am only testing time-to-kill (TTK) for close range.

*NOTE*

If you do not care to look over my math, then scroll down to the "ANALYSIS" section.

Black Ops Weapons

Low Damage, Fast RPM

60 seconds / 937.5 RPM = 0.064 seconds per rounds

4 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 3 bullets x 0.064 = 0.192 seconds to kill

High Damage, Slow RPM

60 seconds / 750 RPM = 0.08 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.08 = 0.16 seconds to kill

High Damage, Fast RPM

60 seconds / 937.5 RPM = 0.064 seconds per rounds

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.064 = 0.128 seconds to kill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two weapons kill in 0.128 seconds

Six weapons kill in 0.16 seconds

Six weapons kill in 0.192 seconds

MW3 Weapons

Weapons Shooting 750 RPM or Slower

60 seconds / 750 RPM = 0.08 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.08 = 0.16 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 705 RPM = 0.085 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.085 = 0.17 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 689 RPM = 0.087 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.087 = 0.174 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 666 RPM = 0.09 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.09 = 0.18 seconds to kill

Weapons Shooting Between 750 RPM and 937.5 RPM

60 seconds / 769 RPM = 0.078 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.078 = 0.156 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 780 RPM = 0.077 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.077 = 0.154 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 800 RPM = 0.075 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.075 = 0.15 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 857 RPM = 0.07 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x  0.07 = 0.14 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 895 RPM = 0.067

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.067 = 0.134 seconds to kill

Weapons Shooting Faster than 937.5 RPM

60 seconds / 1000 RPM = 0.06 seconds per round

4 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 3 bullets x 0.06 = 0.18 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 1000 RPM = 0.06 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.06 = 0.12 seconds to kill

60 seconds / 1090 RPM = 0.055 seconds per round

3 bullets - 1 (initial bullet shoots instantly) = 2 bullets x 0.055 = 0.1 seconds to kill

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two guns kill in 0.16 seconds

Only one gun kills for every other time

ANALYSIS

The average kill time in Black Ops was 0.169 seconds.

The average kill time in MW3 is 0.152 seconds.

While the guns, on average, do kill faster than the guns in Black Ops, here is an odd fact: only two weapons in MW3 (PP90M1 and PM-9) kill faster than the Famas and AUG from Black Ops. And as we all know, those were two of the most overused weapon in Black Ops (primarily the Famas though). So with that said, is it right to assume that the guns in MW3 kill faster? We should all be accustomed to the Famas's kill time, yet we complain that the weapons in MW3 kill really fast. Are there other factors at play? Does the map design or latency in MW3 play a role? Who knows.

• Re: Do Guns in MW3 Kill Faster Than Black Ops' Guns?

intresting... very intresting

ive never thought about it till now but i think guns in mw3 do kill faster than the guns in black ops

I think that the real problem is that when you actualy have the red target showing you that you are taking damage you are already dead. Or when I turn a corner and come nose to nose with some one he kills me in 1/2 sec. But when I look at the replay you can clearly see that he turn and saw me then aimed then shot me witch toke like 2 sec. The question is why didn't I have that 2 sec to see him and kill him on my side?

lets face the new devs are sh*t, they couldn't make a better cod title to save their grandma's.

it's all lag compensation.

Proof? Tell me how many times have you been killed without seeing the blood animation? or felt like the enemy killed you in a bullet? been insta killed round corners?

MW3 is a fail.

The worst part is that if you do have a good connection, you have a HUGE disadvantage... totally stupid developers.

Anyone wonder why MW3 looks like & plays like MW2? cuz these new devs can't create sh*t! They put a new layout theme to MW2 & called it MW3.

anoreo

Type 95 Rapid Fire, FMG9 akimbo, Striker, PP90M1 rapid fire. Those are some examples of high damage weapons capable of taking down any Black Ops weapons.

derpityderp

They kill faster and have no recoil. What moron thought of the kick profeciency ffs?

atiredoldguy

I've never compared the stats between the 2 games but i definitely feel its esier to kill in mw3 and mw2 than bo and waw.

It feels to me like iw core mode is about half way between treyarch's core and hardcore.

SheSaidNo

My understanding is that they applied the old perk Stopping Power to every gun in MW3.  So yes, I think it kills faster.

adw1983

They applied stopping power* to:
      * (These weapons have higher damage than they or their counterparts had in MW1 or MW2 or the most similar weapon had in those games)

Barret .50
      Bolt action snipers
      AS50

FMG9

Type 95 (Short range - Long range nerf); ~M16 with lower range but faster rate of fire
      P90 (Short range); Got a serious rate of fire nerf
      M4 (Short range)
      G36C
      ACR
      PP90M1 (Short range - Long range nerf); ~P90 from MW1 with faster rate of fire
      MP7 (Short range); ~Nothing else -- it has so low horizontal recoil that only rapid-fire can reveal that it has a bias to kick left.
      Mk14 (Short range)

SCAR-L (Short range); ~Enfield from Black Ops, but most like M4 from MW1

FMG9 (Short range)
      Mk 46 (Short range); ~M249 from CoD4 with slightly lower rate of fire
      Glock 18 (Short range)

The following weapons did not get any help at all:

MP5
      AK47 (Nerfed long range damage, but still four hit kills -- worse in hardcore)

UMP (But did it need any help? Probably not. But it got it's long range damage decreased AND did not get stopping power unlike PP90M1, firing faster with the same accuracy and damage)
      RSASS - Roughly equal to M21 without stopping power, but different recoil.

The following weapons have been hit with the ugly bat:
      CM901: This is basicly the MP44 from CoD4, with nerfed minimum damage
      Dragunov: Got stripped of it's one hit kill to the upper torso.

.44 Magnum
      Desert Eagle

ALL lmgs except Mk 46
      ALL shotguns; SPAS 12 was better as a secondary in MW2 than it is as a primary in MW3.
      M16: At last it got it's fire-rate dropped to 800. Problem is, this isn't CoD4, and it is now utterly useless with many automatic weapons recieving buffs.

vileself

Straight up I will tell you with confidence and experience that guns in Treyarch games kill slower than guns in Infinity Ward games.

Personally I think the TTK for these games should be lengthened a bit. We die far too quickly in these games and with the addition of lag it almost seems like we have absolutely no chance or hope in certain encounters.

If the TTK were longer all around then people would be able to run to cover and gun tactics would play a bigger roll in the multiplayer. It would also help create a more vast array of gun statistics, with more room to play with the TTK stat the devs will be able to create a wider variety of gun stats for each category of weapons, rather than having 6 ARs that are practically the same.

Dropshot935

Honestly, it feels like I die faster in MW3 than Black Ops.  MW2 takes the cake for shortest lifespan thanks to stopping power and danger close noobtubes.  WaW comes in 2nd because of the MP40's ridiculously high damage.