13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2011 1:36 PM by VanillaFlava RSS

My informed opinion/thoughts/issues with MW3.

iKon

To give a real quick disclaimer, I've been a 10th/15th prestige in every CoD since the original MW with KD's above 2.5 and WL's above 4.0. After entering my third prestige on MW3 I felt a glaring need to post some extremely obvious issues I've noticed and steps IW and future CoD devs can take towards restoring the prestige of the Call of Duty franchise.

The first and most obvious issue that we all encounter is the extreme use of Assassin/Blind Eye in MW3. While ghost was a problem in Black Ops, you could easily slap on a SR-71 and resolve the issue for a period of time without the worry of enemy forces shooting it down. To say the least, at least there was some sort of a counter measure to ghost in Black Ops. When it comes to MW3, there is nothing you can do to counter the effects of the Assassin/Blind Eye combo and at times it can become extremely frustrating, especially since 90% of the time those players also have silenced AR's with heartbeat sensors. I believe the solution to this problem is reverting back to the oh so popular formula of Call of Duty 4 by having Stopping Power and Cold Blooded in the same perk slot. In MW3, whether you like to admit it or not, everybody has Stopping Power. I've seen the weapon stats that are flooding the internet and most AR's do the same damage as the ones from cod4 used to do with Stopping Power. Allowing players to have the kill ability of stopping power along with the cover of assassin/blind eye presents a real problem in the overall multiplayer philosophy of this game. If you go back to Call of Duty 4, you will very quickly see that you have one of two options. Either use stopping power and be at a disadvantage in terms of air support and UAVs but have the advantage in terms of bullet strength, or use cold blooded and be at a disadvantage in terms of bullet strength but have the ability to play with stealth. As previously mentioned this is a distinct fundamental difference in terms of the overall multiplayer philosophy, but I feel the old saying "if its not broke dont fix it" applies extremely well here.

The second obvious issue that arises extremely often is the impact of lag compensation. While I won't spend much time on this, as I am in no way shape or form a computer programmer or game developer, I simply can just feel the game is broken whereas in previous CoD titles situational outcomes were much more predictable. For instance, if you had a 3 bar in CoD4 you knew you were going to be at a slight disadvantage when you encountered a gun battle with the host. It was really that plain and simple. I very rarely noticed this issue in the game some people liked to refer to as "lag ops," but in MW3 it seems very prevelant. There are so many times where I will get first two bullets on an opponent just to have them return fire and kill me in extremely quick fashion. I have never in my time playing any Call of Duty title even started to think about this issue. In past titles there were always the incidents where you would try and run for cover only to be gunned down when in your screen you were clearly 5 feet out of their line of sight, but on their screen in the killcam you were still sprinting trying to reach cover. While that issue was certainly annoying and unfixable, at least there was an excuse for it. Another occasion in which I see this issue arise is if I am patiently waiting for somebody to round a corner. There have been hundreds of times already in MW3 where me and my opponent know that we are on opposite sides of a wall, waiting for the other player to make their move. This is the first CoD in which being the aggressor is favored. In at least 75% of those encounters you can see on the killcam the aggressor in that situation rounding the corner, having time to dial the opponent in on their sights, and defeat them before they even have time to return fire. Again, I don't know what could be done on IWs end to resolve this issue as I am in no way a developer, I'm just pointing out that the old way clearly wasn't all that broken in terms of what we try and cope with today in MW3.

Real quickly, matchmaking is clearly broken and I really do not prefer to be locked in local search. I have always enjoyed playing with people from other countries in spite of the glaring lag issues that brings forth. There have already been many times in this game where my group of 4-6 has sat 10-20 minutes trying to find opponents. in spite of the host having a static IP with all ports forwarded. Again, while I am not a computer programmer and can in no way offer suggestions as to how to fix the problem, I would just like to point out that it is clearly broken and being locked in local search retracts from some of the accessability CoD titles have always offered.

As it is 4 a.m. here on the eastern seaboard in the United States I am about to wrap this up, but please leave comments and let me know if there are any glaring issues that I may have looked over that you are annoyed by and run into on a regular basis. If interested in what else I have to say as I progress through MW3s MP, feel free to follow me on twitter @ShaneClugh.

Lastly, I am kind of disappointed in the point streaks offered in this game. While I like the idea of strike packaged A LOT, I dislike how long it takes to get something like an Osprey Gunner. I appreciated the normal 11 kill Chopper Gunner and the amount of effort/skill it took to achieve it. I felt 11 kills for that killstreak reward was right on the money, so again, if it wasn't broke why fix it? Thanks again

• Re: My informed opinion/thoughts/issues with MW3.
    gallp13

Ikon solid post and sound POV as an aside appreciate the spelling grammar and expression. And your first post too. I look forward to reading move. Agree with your assessment as it stands.

iKon

bump

rankismet

iKon wrote:

To give a real quick disclaimer, I've been a 10th/15th prestige in every CoD since the original MW with KD's above 2.5 and WL's above 4.0. After entering my third prestige on MW3 I felt a glaring need to post some extremely obvious issues I've noticed and steps IW and future CoD devs can take towards restoring the prestige of the Call of Duty franchise.

The first and most obvious issue that we all encounter is the extreme use of Assassin/Blind Eye in MW3. [...]

I'll be honest... I stopped reading there.

1. It was your first point.

2. You have no issue with everyone using only one perk.

a. As long it is the one you use.

b. As long as it makes people dots.

Staying off the mini-map is not the biggest flaw in COD... the mini-map is.

Why must you rely on the game doing the work for you versus your own skills, experience, and eyesight?

iKon

In all honesty I actually do believe that the lag compensation issues mentioned later in the post may be a bigger problem overall, but in response to your post I believe it is important to keep in mind this is an arcade shooter. Features like the mini map are what has made this competitive franchise stand out above the rest and having to play core gamemodes like hardcore gamemodes turns off a lot of current and future players. I personally still cope and have learned to adapt my play style to keep my 2.7 K/D, I just think it takes away a bit of the fun this game could potentiall offer.

rankismet

iKon wrote:

In all honesty I actually do believe that the lag compensation issues mentioned later in the post may be a bigger problem overall, but in response to your post I believe it is important to keep in mind this is an arcade shooter. Features like the mini map are what has made this competitive franchise stand out above the rest and having to play core gamemodes like hardcore gamemodes turns off a lot of current and future players. I personally still cope and have learned to adapt my play style to keep my 2.7 K/D, I just think it takes away a bit of the fun this game could potentiall offer.

The larger issue is how they have shifted the focus of gameplay to the mini-map.... visibility to an opponent beyond their eyes in general.

How so?

We've gone from 3 KS with one being a UAV (the only thing which affected the mini-map) and a Chopper which targeted you in COD4.

That was it.

To now now in MW3:

* 27 streaks.

* 6 affect the mini-map.

* 12 affect you being visible in some way beyond sight.

* 1 perk.

* 2 pieces of equipment.

* 1 weapon attachment.

Is it any wonder why people try and stay off the grid? Is it any wonder why people complain about people that don't show up on the map when there are so many ways for them to show up?

The issue... plain and simple... is the mini-map.

very well put.. heres hoping they can do something, and actually do it..

i dont really have a problem with assassin, in fact i find its fairly useless given the map design... but i liked how there used to be a trade off..

to me... spawns and map design are very poor and can be dealt with.. but the lag issues have been denied since black ops.. then they claimed they were testing elite... mw3/elite launches and the problem is worse! but elite goes down and the game ran fine... hmm.. lol

point is... Elite is the cause of the network issues, and it isnt going anywhere... so i fear it will NEVER be addressed or fixed..

Agree with OP.  I'm not good enough to get higher kill streaks, but the lag is keeping me from even being able to play the game.  I'm going to try again tonight but I have a feeling I will play a game or two, realize it is still broken and go back to BF3. 

ragnarokchi

at first I thought the OP was another ranting text-waller, but I gave it a shot and found that I completely agree with 90% of what he's saying.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm tweaking out over the lag compensation & their inability to fix it.  I mean, I love COD, but quit blops after 4 months of nonsense, blaming it on treyarch's ineptitude.  But now IW/SH fails us... this could mean the end of my love for my favorite gaming franchise!

i can only speak from a fighter gamers perspective, every simple thing added to the online adds some lagg,  a 8 man lobby, spectator mode ,so everyone in the lobby can watch the fight instead of a blank screen.....so from what people are saying i would bet the theater and other data happening at the same time and siphoned off as the game runs could very much be the cuase ,,,,,the more you tack on the worse it gets and with the whole twitter facebook and people actually wanting to watch and keep replays of a mw game... who knows how much better it would run if it was all stripped off

VanillaFlava

personally I wish the whole theater and recording stuff was something you had to go out of your way to sign up for. Like having to register online or something. The vast majority of us aren't making youtube videos and don't care about anything of that sort of nature, but ever since this in-game recording and elite server and whatnot has been introduced, the game has ran subpar at best. I just wish there was a way to get it off of my account because I have no need or want for it.