1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next 169 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2012 5:03 AM by Peeved Go to original post RSS
  • 130. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

nuttin2say wrote:

I have two questions that are probably really stupid. Nonethless, I have my ways of GUESSING who the host in a lobby is and whether or not I am the host ...

But, in all honesty, I'm just guessing.

1 - How do you know who the host is?

2 - How do you know there was a host migration if you're no longer in the lobby?

There really is no way to know who the host is unless:

1) There is only one person with a 4 bar connection

or

2) You leave the game and the game immediately goes into a host migration before it sends you to the main menu.

• 131. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    esmorgue

On at least MW2, BlackOps when the countdown would get close to zero you could press select and it would show the host with 4 bars and everyone else with 1 until fully connected.

If you are host and simply quit the game you will see the host migration until you are fully disconnected.

• 132. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    nuttin2say

Thanks for the responses.

The 4 bars vs 1 bar thing, I've thought that at times. The problem is, I've been in matches where the game starts like that then one of the one bars leaves and host migration begins - but the 4 bar original player is still in the match.

I've seen it the exact opposit way, as well. Where everyone has 4 bars but one player has 1 bar ... and host migration take place when one of the 4 bars leaves.

Honestly, I find it hard to believe I've never been host of a match over the duration of 4 years and probably 6 months worth of in-game time. That said, I can honestly say that I do not recall ever, not once, see a host migration screen upon leaving a match.

Not to confuse things even more, but I've seen matches where the one person with 4 bars (and everyone else with one or two bars) so that the match can go either way - everyone else complaing about lag and the 4 bar says everything is great ... or the exact opposite.

I've been in matches where everyone has 3 bars and everyone complains about lag.

I've been the one bar guy at times and everyone else has 4 bars ... and in those situations I have two options

a - sit in the corner and hit for the duration of the match.

b - back out of the game.

There is no in-between because if I have 1 bar and everyone else has 4, everyone says the match was one of the best they've every played (as far as lag goes) and that I'm crazy because the game did not lag at all. Yet, for me, I can't even begin to describe how bad the lag is.

I have NEVER had a match where I was 4 bars and everyone else was 1 bar. So I don't know how that would play.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I've heard of all kinds of ways to "know" who the host is ... but none of them are universal in practice. The way you guys talk about identifying host?

I've seen plenty of matches where the most unexpected person to be the host leaves and then host migration takes place.

And what about the matches where everyone has 4 bars and there is lag?

• 133. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

A website doing a DOS attack on itself? That's not right. Maccabi gave a great example with elite, that's not DOS.

• 134. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

Wtf is a dos attack?

It's ddos

• 135. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    esmorgue

I saw today that 402 said they would be putting a update for all consoles for lag comp. I hope it works for those who feel that their inner BlackOps beastisms aren't shining through properly.

• 136. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

esmorgue wrote:

I saw today that 402 said they would be putting a update for all consoles for lag comp. I hope it works for those who feel that their inner BlackOps beastisms aren't shining through properly.

Maybe I will stop dying before I react. My win/loss was above 4 at one time and it dropped because of the LC letting bad internets beat me and friends in games, though we are the better players.

• 137. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

Denial of service is a request flood from one source. A distributed denial of service is a flood of requests from multiple sources.

• 138. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.
    esmorgue

I am still trying to get a grip on it. Sometimes it seems as even though I am shooting them first or while they are not looking, that my bullets stop registering damage to give them a chance. .Almost like a buffer pops up and gives the slower connection a chance to counter.

• 139. Re: Lag Compensation Explained.

esmorgue wrote:

I'm interested to see what exactly they did. If they streamlined the coding for hosting, then I'm sure things will be much improved. But if what they really did was take out/lower lag compensation, then I can guarentee that come tomorrow, that these forums will be flooded with posts about how bad the hit detection has become.