1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 8:40 AM by Biff360 Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    asianman12

AEon_Xao wrote:

asianman12 wrote:

I do fine on my connection. is 25 down and 5 up a "poor" connection?? 

Also that analgy about the olympic runners against a handicapped 12 year old is so bad, man. That would never happen. Ever.

I don't know about your connection.  Bandwidth means jack squat once it's above a bare minimum(for FPS gaming). I played games online such as halo and Mw2 with a 1mb down.  sure, I was never host, but it played fine.  My bro has 2 down now, and he does pull host quite often.  Was awesome in other games, blows in Mw3.  I have 3 down now, but I have a higher ping, so I still don't get host, and it plays better here.

The vastly more important facts about connection are line quality and ping.  Packetloss, jitter, noise, etc, makes for a bad game experience.  Some high speed companies excell in bandwidth, but are very poor for line quality.  Downloads are fine, because there are checks and balances.  Playing a fast paced game where every single bit of data has to make it through, and on time, is an entirely different beast than is downloading, say, a HD movie.

Well if you put it that way then most of these guys should probably figure out if their ISP isn't the problem first, right?

• 61. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

asianman12 wrote:

AEon_Xao wrote:

asianman12 wrote:

I do fine on my connection. is 25 down and 5 up a "poor" connection??

Also that analgy about the olympic runners against a handicapped 12 year old is so bad, man. That would never happen. Ever.

I don't know about your connection.  Bandwidth means jack squat once it's above a bare minimum(for FPS gaming). I played games online such as halo and Mw2 with a 1mb down.  sure, I was never host, but it played fine.  My bro has 2 down now, and he does pull host quite often.  Was awesome in other games, blows in Mw3.  I have 3 down now, but I have a higher ping, so I still don't get host, and it plays better here.

The vastly more important facts about connection are line quality and ping.  Packetloss, jitter, noise, etc, makes for a bad game experience.  Some high speed companies excell in bandwidth, but are very poor for line quality.  Downloads are fine, because there are checks and balances.  Playing a fast paced game where every single bit of data has to make it through, and on time, is an entirely different beast than is downloading, say, a HD movie.

Well if you put it that way then most of these guys should probably figure out if their ISP isn't the problem first, right?

What makes you think we already haven't?

A pretty good indicator that it's not the ISP is that other games all play fine, including other CoD's. 

That's the thing with troubleshooting.  When only 1 thing changes, and the problem comes up, that's almost always the part that's bad.

Many avid gamers keep tabs on their internet and equipment, to make sure everything is running optimally.  Run speed tests, do defrags on their PC's, make sure other people aren't filching the wireless, etc.  To assume that all complainers don't do such things, is more a sign of your lacking awareness than anything else.  Some, sure, but not those of us here getting this in depth with a conversation.

If you're playing fine, good for you.  Maybe you've got a ISP that's overcrowded or has natively bad line quality, and benifit from the restraining of others(would make sense for people benefitting to vehemently defend this blasphemy created with the intent of "fairness").

Maybe you live in a big metro area and usually get matches within mere miles or blocks of where you live.  Maybe, and I've had to say this in other places, just maybe, you wouldn't know lag if it kicked you in the balls.  As they say, Ignorance is bliss.

There are a plethora of reasons why your individual experience may be "fine". 

This may make for some good reading on your part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

However, when we, as a group speak up, and all other things work "fine" but Mw3 has major issues with sync/lag, there's good reason to take note, and makes anecdoal evidence more or less irrelevant.

• 62. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    iif0xh0undii

There most definitely are not thousands of threads on it. There may be about ~150 or so, but not 1000+.

I understand that the matchmaking has changed, like bandwidth requirements, but the anti-lag mean average has not changed. That's how it's been for a while now if memory does serve me correct. When I say they're wonky, I mean it's a series of odd host selections from time to time, but never game breaking.

I still am not following on this idea that entire lobbies are immediately hindered because someone joins that has a horrible ping. I normally outplay these users on a consistent basis. When I'm suffering a two bar connection, I'm getting mowed down by four bar users. Like it should. With three it's a bit of a gamble as we don't know the range. Sometimes I'm 90% and the others I'm not.

I'd just like to state that I've followed this argument/phenomenom since Black Ops. On paper, everything should play out. Tis funky.

• 63. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    asianman12

iif0xh0undii wrote:

There most definitely are not thousands of threads on it. There may be about ~150 or so, but not 1000+.

I understand that the matchmaking has changed, like bandwidth requirements, but the anti-lag mean average has not changed. That's how it's been for a while now if memory does serve me correct. When I say they're wonky, I mean it's a series of odd host selections from time to time, but never game breaking.

I still am not following on this idea that entire lobbies are immediately hindered because someone joins that has a horrible ping. I normally outplay these users on a consistent basis. When I'm suffering a two bar connection, I'm getting mowed down by four bar users. Like it should. With three it's a bit of a gamble as we don't know the range. Sometimes I'm 90% and the others I'm not.

I'd just like to state that I've followed this argument/phenomenom since Black Ops. On paper, everything should play out. Tis funky.

Same here.  It's almost the same arguments. It's pretty funny actually.

• 64. Re: The lag has gone mainstream

asianman12 wrote:

What a douche bag thing to say. Yeah, it's super funny that game is essentially ruined for those of us who get hosed by the lag comp system almost every game.

• 65. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    jessedart

If all the stat tracking is adding to the problem, then wouldnt using some kind of asynchrnous method to upload stats to the actisvision/elite server help ease the load,

say perhaps all stats and recorded and saved on the user console, then at the end of the game, all the stats are uploaded

• 66. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    maccabi

AEon_Xao wrote:

iif0xh0undii wrote:

I actually agree with Maccabi.

I rather play with anti-lag than without on consoles. The only way I'd agree to not having lag compensation is to play on dedicated servers, but that'd be near impossible. It would greatly thwart what I believe is the allure of the console experience as the result would be heavily truncated.

As I posted elsehwere, not many people with technical knowledge want it removed, but toned down.  Right now it's a built in handicap that restrains more people than it helps. We shouldn't be catering to the worst connections at the cost of worsening the experience for average to good connections.

If you want sunshine, move to florida.  You don't nuke the planet so it's nice and warm at the north pole.

you really need to drop the mindset of its "handicapping" it isn't and to refer to it as such furthers the misconceptions and assumptions people are making. The fact numerous people are wrongly blaming something doesnt actually make it correct. Its just a forum phenomenon someone said lag comp, someone else read that and said in another post that was the reason, smeone else then said it makes good connections bad ...suddenly everyone is rushing to the hardware store to buy tar and feathers..

wierdly this is the same type of "lag" complaints people had on blops.. and there too there was numerous complaint threads yet the phrase de jour then wasnt lag comp it was lag.

Latency is a fact when playing online, even more so when you are playing on console to to the architecture of console play, there are so many factors that effect console play before devs even get to thinking about netcode, input latency from controllers, having to code basically two sets of code for hd and sd tvs all of this adds to the overal "lag in various forms" in console online play. Basically without some sort of "lag compensation" the expereince on consoles would be horrible. 

The easiest way to get your head around what all these different algorthims input predicitions ect do is basically make the gme play as if there was no lag comp and you were playing on a server where the players all had a ping to that server within a given range (basically how matchmaking is supposed to work)

does this mean the game will be buttery smooth? ,no ...it means the same little foibles you'd expect playing on a server where everyones latency was varied but within an acceptable range knowing that those latencies change all the time during a game.

• 67. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    asianman12

effanzo78 wrote:

asianman12 wrote:

What a douche bag thing to say. Yeah, it's super funny that game is essentially ruined for those of us who get hosed by the lag comp system almost every game.

Except Lag comp isn't hindering you. Have you not been reading anything that Maccabi has been saying? He knows way more about this than anyone on the forums. 

• 68. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    warzh311ion

They read what Macc writes, but don't comprehend it. The only thing I know is I can't play with a group of friends and get a good connection right now. Until I am able to do this I will just keep playing other titles.

• 69. Re: The lag has gone mainstream
    asianman12

warzh311ion wrote:

They read what Macc writes, but don't comprehend it. The only thing I know is I can't play with a group of friends and get a good connection right now. Until I am able to do this I will just keep playing other titles.

Whenever I play with the HC4M boys on the west coast I immediately know that I will have to play slower and more cautiously than I can when playing with friends on the east coast.  I guess I have jsut gotten used to how things are connection wise. 

1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next