11 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 10:49 AM by DayneWyant RSS

No more parkour in CoD :(

First off, for all of you that don't know, parkour, or freerunning, is pretty much jumping around buildings, ledges, or any other obstacles. I watched a video before the release of MW2 and they talked about how they were incorporating it a lot into the game as well as focusing more on vertical warfare. These are two points i'd like to cover, vertical warfare and the parkour aspect.

Now I played MW2 quite a bit. I racked up something like 15 or 16 days playing it. I loved how everything on all the maps could be used. Sometimes you had to be extremely creative in how you got around the map. I remember watching a video on how to get to the red sign that hung above an entranceway on the map Karachi. You know what i'm talking about, the one where you had to bust out the window and croutch on the ledge, then jump to the bus and then once you had the patience to get on the bus, you had to make the daring leap across the street and land on the sign. I would spend hours trying perfect little things like this. Things like the red sign made the game interesting when the multiplayer would get repetitive. Then, I started playing MW3. I was so stoked for this game. It had so much going for it. Everything from the long wait since the last Modern Warfare, the sub par Black-ops released by Treyarch, and the new release of Elite. I was ready for the refreshing new game that MW2 was for me 2 years ago. At first i liked the game a lot, the new way to unlock things for your guns, the killstreaks, and the perks. However as i started jumping around the maps and trying to get creative, nothing worked. I searched around and found a few things, the ledge that wraps around the building on Arkaden and you could get a little tricky on the outside edge of Mission but then i was playing on Fallen and i saw a slanted overhang. If you go on top of the building that has no roof and has the metal railing around it and look on the right side of the big building it's connected to you'll know what i'm talking about. It isn't very far and you wouldn't even need to sprint jump to land on it. So i went for it. I jumped, timed it perfectly, and BAM. I stopped, mid jump and fell. I had clearly gone far and high enough to make it and it was blocked. MW2 had millions or little random spots like these! I was dumbfounded. How could a game so new and modern not have all the little nooks and crannies that it's predecessor had?! So i looked at the wood scaffolding in the middle of Fallen, kinda looked like that house in Wasteland from MW2. There has to be a way up there i thought! So i tried every feasible thing that i could think of, and nothing worked. I was upset, it felt like this game had failed me. The more i played, the more unreacheable spots i discovered. Now it feels like the maps are all alleyways with crates and no way to cut from one path to another. It has made spawn trapping unbelievablly easy and it's killing the multiplayer spirit. Instead of making a game with pathways that you can't escape from we need maps that have hundreds of ways to get from one place to another.

Vertical warfare is more shooting up or down, like from one building to another, or having multiple levels within a building. It doesn't feel like MW3 has any of this. Do you remember maps like Favela, Highrise, Skidrow, and Quarry? Where did this style go? I had way more fun jumping around the tops of houses and finding random ledges to hide on than anything these new maps offer. The only maps that even come close to resembling this style are maybe Lockdown or Bootleg. All the new maps are flat with the few random houses, huts, and skyscrappers. I feel like that's part of what made MW2 stick out from other first person shooters. If you go back to one of the first FPS games ever, Wolfenstein 3D, the whole game was flat. There are plenty of FPS's that are wide and flat. BF3 for example, is just as, if not more entertaining than CoD. We need some elevation to our maps, something to set us apart from the other shooters out there! I just was wondering how everyone else felt about this, feel free to leave your comments!

• Re: No more parkour in CoD :(

I loved Highrise. There was so much to do on that map, like climb the ladder and run up the side of the building, run across the suspended-in-the-air crane-lifted girneys, run up the ladder inside one of the buildings to reach the lowered-ceiling, climb down on the side of the map, and so much more. I hope they bring this map back in MW3 DLC. The MW3 maps feel kind of generic without the creativeness that was in the MW2 maps.

Absolutely agree on both points.

There is tons of objects that look like you should be able to climb them/jump on them/... but you're blocked by invisible walls.

VERY bad game design on IWs part - if something looks like it is possible to climb up there it should be. That's one of the first lessions of game or UI design.

I also miss the thing you call vertical fighting.

There is a total lack of any good maps in MW3. We only get close-in arcade style shooting galleries. No sniper nests, no wide areas, almost no upper stories (nothing above the 2nd floor ever).

Makes 50% of the weapons and addons totally useless in my eyes. Who needs an ACOG sight or Hybrid zoom for his assault rifle if the average combat distance is around 10-20 meters?

And don't get me started on the sniper weapons... There are maybe 3 spots IN TOTAL over all MW3 maps where it is feasible to use a sniper. In 99.99% of the cases you are way better of with an AR with iron sights.

If you look back at some of the MW2 maps like Favela, there was probably a rise of 50 feet from the very bottom of the map at the soccer field, to the street at the top. Nothing in MW3 has anything remotely close in resemblence, hopefully some of the DLC they release will incorporate this style of fighting a little bit more. But until then snipers and LMG's are pretty much useless

Does nobody else miss the old map style?!

Bump

ghosthound

Everything within the boundaries of the map should be able to be got on & in - VERY SIMPLE.

Vertical warfare = camping warfare.

No.

Not necessarily....all you have to do is camp behind the end of a corridor in this game and you can rack up kills in no time. I miss being able to run around the map and use everything they put in it. Not camping

Exactly. They didnt deliver anything they promised. They spoon fed us promises of returning to the CoD4 style of gameplay, but kept deathstreaks and added 138275819073 noobtarded weapons (from the auto shotguns and the return of akimbo (akimbo pistols are acceptable) to a multitude of different toobs).

This game is a step down from Black Ops and the only thing that makes it better than Mw2 is the fact that there arent a milloin tubed nades flying around (oh wait yes there are thanks to the XM-25 and the GL23). IW you ****** up horrendusly with this title when you tried to cater to children (who shouldnt even be playing the game). CoD4 was the most "realistic' CoD w/ mp accesibility, but as the years go on the perks get more super human, the kilstreaks become something out of a sci-fi movie, and yet the gameplay gets worse. Sorry this is the LAST aracde style shooter i buy, from now own Im sticking to realism.

Bump