30 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2011 10:24 AM by Tunnleram RSS

Lack of Innovation?

Anyone else getting bored with the lack of innovation in the CoD series. It seems to me like the rinse and repeat pattern is finally hitting home and I'm starting to dislike what was once my favorite franchise.

If you feel the same, what do you think can be done to fix it? I want to like this game but I already feel like I've played it before (this may be what some people like: familiarity).

Werd,

420Man

• Lack of Innovation?
    {bhc}max|co

you havent played mw3 on a server , have you,?

pc clan servers will pop up by the thousands, each catering to your every whim,

just search em out , you will find some gems amongst em ,im sure of it,

me? i cant wait till nov 8th xd

• Lack of Innovation?

That is why I would like to see the Maptools back.

It could give players a real surprise when entering a map you never been in before.

Sometimes it were really ugly maps that were the most fun to play in.

It gave you a break of running arround in those same standard maps, over and over again.

Zombie bots were invented by community mappers and modders.

• Re: Lack of Innovation?

I have to agree the lack of something new & different is because new ideas come from the creative PC modding community which has been sidelined in recent CoD titles (MW2, BO). Many modders and mappers have long since left for other games that have mapping/modding capbility. THese guys have been quick to say about MW3 that they will look at Mod Tools/Radiant for MW3 post-release. At least there's no marketing propaganda with that. So, we'll see if mod tools get released THEN you will have innovation.

MOD and map tools inspire innovation - agreed. But I'm trying to get at is the main Dev (or devs in this case) have failed to bring something new and I wanted to gauge from the community is this acceptable?

When I buy a CoD game I know what I'm getting myself into, for the most part, even without the devs telling me anything about the game. I for one don't necessarily enjoy that aspect of it anymore. Sure it's familiar, but I'm trying to imagine a feature that they could provide that would be innovative and make me think that they are trying to make their product better. I'm having a hard time finding that feature this go round, honestly in the past few releases.

I just believe that we as a community, especially the PC community, should hold these devs to higher standards.

This is all opinion and there is no right or wrong answer.

Regards,

Tunnleram

As a former level designer I can tell you you'll most likely never see maptools again in your lifetime. If you realize the shift in MW2 and BOps you'll understand why this is true.

Why would a gaming company allow you to design new possibly wonderful levels when they can starve their base for new content and provide them with that content for a yearly fee through Elite or via various packs released throughout the year.

Maptools just cost the company money to release. Unfortunately I think that process is over with COD for sure - most likely other companies as well.

Hi m8. How are you?

I think all games in a series suffer from this problem of lack of innovation. Even BF3, with it's brand new shiny engine doesn't really have that much going for it in terms of innovation in game play. Just more of the same that we've seen many times before in a battlefield game. In fact, take away the new engine, and BF3 only has 1 or 2 new innovations over what DICE have done previously.

Then again, when you look at any FPS game, what is it if it isn't "more of the same"? You got one guy trying to shoot the other guy with a rifle. That's about it, and its been that way for the last 15 years. Locations and time frames may change (from Doom - to - COD1 - to Battlefield 2142), but it is essentially all "more of the same".

Personally, I think it is good that COD sticks to its tried-and-tested forumla. I don't ever want to see drivable vehicles in COD, because I personally don't think vehicles have any place in an FPS where they can target infantry soldiers on the floor. The vehicles are just too over powered. Vehicle against Vehicle is fine, but not against foot soldiers.

I also love the close-quarter combat sytle of COD. It's one of its hall-marks and I don't ever want to see that changed.

I also think the perks and killstreaks are fine in moderation, but it is now getting to the stage where they are sticking in so many different types of them, that it's getting silly.

I am personally stoked that MW3 will be "more of the same". That way I know exactly what I am getting and don't have to take a gamble on it like I have done twice before this year, and the games turned out to be poo (Brink and Homefront). And best of all, we PC players get to play on dedicated servers, and will even be able to run our own servers from our own dedicated boxes because of the public server files.

I'm good bro! Thanks for your response and I figured that I would get some that prefer to have that comfy feeling of familiarity.

I do have to disagree with you on one point: vehicles. Vehicles added a lot to UO and I do miss that aspect of CoD. They were also great assets to have for moders. I had lots of fun matches on a custom map called mp_race.

-4twizzle

craftyshot

I think it's because the game has been dragged out a bit for some. The engine has remainded mostly the same and no big dramatic changes have been made to the gameplay in a while. It's like if they hashed out 5 sequels to Mario 2d platformer. All you have really would be the story that's different and maybe some new enemies but as long as it's a 2d platformer that game is the same pretty much and that's what we are experiencing with CoD.

I really think there is room left for innovation but someone or something is holding it back. I think they can innovate through unique game types, weapons, classes, rewards (other than kill base, more like skill based) and multiple other things but they don't.

I do remember in MW2 there was a gametype that got cut right at the end of developement called Global Thermal Nuclear War... Why get rid of it? Why not give it a chance? They have a few teams of creative people and they get held back for some reason, this boggles my mind.

/rant

What do you think they can add to keep innovation momentum? Some ideas in these forums actually do get read BTW.

what the game needs is a new engine, it should be totally open like pre-mw2 codgames with modtools and radiant, have different weapons and gear which is all balanced, and some new creative and fun gamemodes. and good maps.

and I don't want vehicles. they were fun to joke around in, in coduo, but in like bc2 I don't like the vehicles.

i think that a good game like CoD must be the same in general terms, if you change it too much you can have the opposite effect: people leaving cause they say " this isnt cod anymore " so their strategy to keep the feeling of the game the same and introducing new stuff and resolve problems is a nice choice for me, and to me the people who say lack of innovation really dont understand what CoD is. Battlefield can have major changes cause is not popular as CoD, many people didnt grew up with battlefield but with CoD, if you change battlefield no one cares, if you change CoD many people will be disappointed.

Well, no one is forcing you to buy the game if it's getting to monotonous for you. Moreover, IW/TA are in a catch-22: If they change too much, people will complain it doesn't feel like cod; if they don't change enough, people will complain it's just more of the same.

{bhc}max|co

Team deathmatch with Kill confirmed,? this is new and looks very exiting gametype, even might be an ace competition type game, if promod can be made for mw3..  {BHC}Max @ www.bhc-rangers.com

[pde]paulkersey

Homefront actually has a good idea, but wrapped in genericness and bad quality. I know CoD devs will never do it and most fans don't want any real change. I've actually written a topic about it on our site a week ago. I would like to see the Homefront idea succeed, but remove the generic soldier clones and *boring maps (*a problem with BF3 also).

What I would really like to see is some Perfect Dark gameplay implemented. I like how all of the weapons had unique, secondary uses to them.  I haven't seen gameplay and ideas like that since the year 2000. If it was, the game couldn't be called Call of Duty anymore, that's for sure. I used to love Unreal, but it doesn't move forward anymore.

Maybe it's time for a new game with that fast pace action but without the title Call of Duty in it. If something is new and tried out in CoD that changes the gameplay some, the fans will start bashing it saying it's no longer CoD. That seems to be the biggest problem.

When I first thought of MW2's multiplayer in my head, I thought of being on a Snow map where you could go in a hole in ice on the ground and swim to a location where an enemy would be, come up out of the water and stab them from behind. I also thought about the snowmobiles being able to be used for transport. I like weather effects also. small things like this wouldn't be accepted by the CoD fans and CoD will probably die because of it. People cried about tanks being in WaW.

Off Topic: A Star Wars Battlefront III would be badass hehe

lack of innovation ????

we got dogs with bombs !!!!!

:rollseyes:

afflictedmed

Lack of real graphical changes?  Yes.  The game itself seems to have lots of changes.  Strike packages, gun proficiencies, etc.  The "feel" will be the same, but its CoD, not a new series, so Im fine with that.

mickilla

Frankly, I'm perfectly willing to pay my 60 bucks for an expansion pack- presuming that it finally fixes the age old problems and makes the archetypal gameplay bearable.

If its one thing MW2 did right it was how good its visuals looked considering how modest its reccomended system specs were. Its engine got the job done very nicely, and that's the last thing I would change.

MW2's problems really just came down to very poor decisions made in multiplayer balance and a little bit of map design. Plus the whole dedicated server flop, but that's beside the point. Back on topic, had MW2 just been made with fewer rediculous blunders in its weapons, perks, streaks, and maps, then it would have been a really stellar experience.

In the end, what I'm hoping to get in exhange for my 60 bucks is that stellar experience. If a simple patch to MW2 delivers it, then I'll be the first one in line to get it. To hell with whether or not its innovative.

Think about it:

I was talking to a fellow guild mate about this same subject today:

Going just off of Infinity Ward made games:

CoD1 & 2 did not have very much to them. It was a shooter with guns people and maps. That's pretty much it.

Now CoD4 brought a whole new world to the game: CUSTOMIZATION!

Answer me this: does adding customization to a game ruin a game? DONT ANSWER YET. Think first.

Every game in history WITHOUT customization, for the most part, people loved to play. Today, mostly all games that have customization in them, people do not like them as much.

Coincidence...or not?

poison_pawn

camco wrote:

Think about it:

I was talking to a fellow guild mate about this same subject today:

Going just off of Infinity Ward made games:

CoD1 & 2 did not have very much to them. It was a shooter with guns people and maps. That's pretty much it.

Now CoD4 brought a whole new world to the game: CUSTOMIZATION!

Answer me this: does adding customization to a game ruin a game? DONT ANSWER YET. Think first.

Every game in history WITHOUT customization, for the most part, people loved to play. Today, mostly all games that have customization in them, people do not like them as much.

Coincidence...or not?

I agree: keep it simple; that's why i have no problem with unranked servers, HardCore, and barebones modes (of course it hard to talk even the the most ardent players in to a barebones game) so i guess i'd have to say customization in modreatetion

i just hope enough people agree, to keep the series going

kawz

I find I'm just bored/tired of the whole CoD experience in general.

It's the same thing release after release, day in and day out.  For example:  My team plays S&D exclusively.  I can only spawn, chuck a nade, smg from the hip, die, repeat for so long.  Completely tired of it. 

I think it would be the same with any other game type before long as well.

Soooo, enter BF3.  I love it!  There's sooo much more going on in a game it's mind boggling how anyone would choose to play boring stagnant CoD over it.

We were in a squad of 4 the other day, locking down a point in conquest.  Go figure we actually had to ADS, as well as lead our targets to get infantry kills, but as we were holding that point, we had tanks, helicopters and jets to deal with also.  Buildings falling down, walls being blown out all around us -- was soo much fun.  The sound is f'ing incredible... jets flying over head, explosions and gunfire everywhere.  Graphics are superb.

I think they should add new kill streaks. Like they have in mercenaries. Cruse missiles to take down buildings, air support choppers to take out enemy planes/choppers, and bunker busters to take out ppl that hide in shelters.

Tunnleram

With all due respect, I'm not sure you see many innovations in the Madden series either. It's the same thing each year with small tweaks.