16 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2011 12:45 PM by platinumb RSS

Discussion: 3-Round Burst Weapons

Hello everyone.

As a fan of 3-round burst weapons (MW2 FAMAS is one of my favorite guns), I was wondering if 3-round burst weapons would be a 1-burst kill like in MW2. I feel due to the slow-firing and accuracy-based nature of the gun, this attribute is necessary in order to maintain a balance when playing against full-auto weapons.

Do you agree that 3-round burst weapons should be one-burst kill? In fact, I'll just post some questions here so you can answer them.

1. Do you use 3-round burst weapons often?

2. Should 3-round burst weapons be a one-burst kill (essentially, 35 damage for each shot)? At what range should this drop off (in comparison to other assault rifles)?

3. Should 3-round burst weapons have a higher or lower recoil (use the Modern Warfare 2 FAMAS as comparison)?

4. Should 3-round burst have a low or high time between bursts? You can use exact numbers here...like .5s or 1s.

5. Do you think 3-round bursts should even be in the game?

6. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are OP?

7. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are balanced amongst other assault rifles?

• Discussion: 3-Round Burst Weapons
    youtubedude

The M16 tested at CODXP was always a two burst kill. I think I should have tried putting on the kick proficiency or something, but time was limited and I tried to use any many guns as possible. I felt they were all balanced, but once the game is out, as every COD ever, people will discover "OP" set-ups.

YouTubeDude
    YouTube.com/YouTubeDude

MW3 sniping impressions from CODXP

Dude you´re exactly my type of Gamer

1) Yeah in GB´s and Pubs like 95% of the time.

2) Not really. I mostly shoot like 3 or 4 bursts, so it really doesn´t matter.

3)It should stay the same. That´s the main point of a 3-Burst weapon.

4) Like I heard on youtube, the M16 was real slow inbetween time. I hope that gets fixed.

5) what a question.

6)No they aren´t OP, seeing as you have to stay at a distance in comparison to the Automatic AR´s.

7) They are balanced IMO. People only complain about them because they kill fast.

Do you know by any chance if the Famas is coming back to MW3?

f1stdacuffsx

m16 sucks very weak, even with rapid fire. im assuming the t95 is the famas no worries.

I never used burst-fire weapons in MW2, but I personally thought the M16 from Black Ops was very well balanced.  In the right hands it was an extremely powerful weapon, but it was difficult to master.  If not for the user-friendly FAMAS/AUG, it would probably have been used much more.

ay3rs wrote:

I never used burst-fire weapons in MW2, but I personally thought the M16 from Black Ops was very well balanced.  In the right hands it was an extremely powerful weapon, but it was difficult to master.  If not for the user-friendly FAMAS/AUG, it would probably have been used much more.

The only problem with Black Ops was the amazingly bad hit detection, otherwise I'd agree with you.

The G11 in Black Ops was nice as well; it's fast fire rate combined with low recoil makes it a fun gun to use.

Used the M16 in MW2 a lot, they should have an automatic M16 in MW3 for a change.

• Re: Discussion: 3-Round Burst Weapons
    jamesafc

A 3 burst weapon should always be a one burst kill IMO. If you come up against someone using a full auto the chances are you will die before you can fire a second burst..

raiders11

I am a big fan of MW2 Famas with Stopping power and FMJ. That gun is beast and usually a OHK if all three bullets hit the target. I would love to see it make a comeback however if it doesnt o-well ill use the T95 or M16

1. Do you use 3-round burst weapons often? I use 3 round burst weapons as my main weaon

2. Should 3-round burst weapons be a one-burst kill (essentially, 35 damage for each shot)? At what range should this drop off (in comparison to other assault rifles)? They should be because of realism 3 shots in one spot especially head should be OHK, in comparison i understand that it would need to be slowed down due to becoming OP'ed

3. Should 3-round burst weapons have a higher or lower recoil (use the Modern Warfare 2 FAMAS as comparison)? I think that the MW2 Famas was a beast and could have used more recoil.

4. Should 3-round burst have a low or high time between bursts? You can use exact numbers here...like .5s or 1s. I dont know, the m16 in BLOPs felt like it was a good medium however if it is OHK higher time like BLOPs m16 if not leave it like in MW2

5. Do you think 3-round bursts should even be in the game? Yes

6. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are OP? they can be in the right hands

7. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are balanced amongst other assault rifles? yes you have more recoil and more time between burst.

1. Do you use 3-round burst weapons often? Very often.

2. Should 3-round burst weapons be a one-burst kill (essentially, 35 damage for each shot)? 1-2 Burst.. Since I always fire about 4-5 shots @ them anyways. At what range should this drop off (in comparison to other assault rifles)? I don't pay attention to dropoff points.

3. Should 3-round burst weapons have a higher or lower recoil (use the Modern Warfare 2 FAMAS as comparison)? The recoil from Black Ops M16 and MW2 are both fine.

4. Should 3-round burst have a low or high time between bursts? You can use exact numbers here...like .5s or 1s. Again.. Black ops and MW2's burst were fine IMO.

5. Do you think 3-round bursts should even be in the game? Definately. I <3 me some M16

6. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are OP? Not @ all. Unless it's something like the G11

7. Do you feel 3-round burst weapons are balanced amongst other assault rifles? Close enough.

I think it's nice to have some guns with different firing modes, and they should be more powerful than full autos at long range since that's the point of burst mode. if mw3 ARs have about 0 recoil like mw2 then the burst guns should not lose damage over range. the 2 mw2 burst-guns with stopping power were nicely balanced.

anoreo

I had a deep seated hatred for the M16 in Call of Duty 4. By the itme black ops rolled around I didn't care anymore. I love my G11 so muc!

There are a lot of those who hate 3-round burst weapons.  They want a gun that can kill in a hurry.  I have no problem with the M16 or G11, or the Famas in MW2.  I like control burst weapons.

MW2 Famas is something that can one burst at the longest distances since it killed in three shots and was a 2HK at mid range to close, this is with Stopping Power. I found it unbalanced.

I like how they are in BO. M16 was better at longer ranges and held little recoil but traded off CQB effectiveness. G11 was better at closer battles with a smaller delay in shooting.

There are now three in MW3. Hopefully they all have their tradeoffs and are not superior to one another.

MW2 Famas is something that can one burst at the longest distances since it killed in three shots and was a 2HK at mid range to close, this is with Stopping Power. I found it unbalanced. M16 was the same with more recoil. Holographic sight fixed that, though.

I like how they are in BO. M16 was better at longer ranges and held little recoil but traded off CQB effectiveness. G11 was better at closer battles with a smaller delay in shooting.

There are now three in MW3. Hopefully they all have their tradeoffs and are not superior to one another.