1 2 3 Previous Next 56 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2012 11:09 PM by HeadhunterSeven RSS

GOT PS3 ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

Hello,

I will share optimization tips for your PS3 and Router. These tips are very helpful and well put together so it would be nice if this thread can get stuck to the top of the PS3 sub form so everyone can view it. Thanks!

First lets start out with the PS3 itself.

1- Delete your internal data (junk) that your PS3 collects when using the internet browser. In the XMB - Go to settings, system settings and delete the "Predictive Text Dictionary" this is the data that is saved every time you type a word in the internet browser. You then want to got to the Internet Browser and delete all Cookies, Cache, Address History,and Authentication Information. Then delete your website history as well. Next delete all of your messages on your PS3. Note: that most of these settings only hold kbs of data which is almost nothing, but they are junk files that when added up over time might slow down your PS3. Doing this has removed basically all the junk files on your PS3.

2 - There is not many Network or Internet tweaks,but there are some. Go to system settings and turn the "Display What’s New" setting to "OFF". This will stop the PS3 from downloading the information for it. In Network settings make sure you set Media Server to"OFF" this is the most important tweak to do, as having Media Serveron cause user's accounts to sign out of PSN. Make sure you have UPnP Enabled. I would strongly recommend going wired directly from router to PS3. Going wired decreases latency by a little, gives your PS3 a faster response time, and increases your overall bandwidth quality. If going wireless make sure you have signal strength of at least 80-100% any lower might not be a problem, but if outgoing packets from the router don't reach the PS3, this can cause the PS3 to re-ask for that packet and the router must send it again, this can cause network errors, lag, and disconnect in games. Also when signed in try to remove as many friends that you don't need as possible.

3 - Make sure your MTU in you router is set to1500 in the router and on the PS3 if you have a cable/fiber optic internet connection. Aslo set it to 1500 if using a 3G connection. For DSL connections set MTU to 1492 in router and on PS3.

4 -
"PS3 RECOVERY MENU" is probably the best thing to use to improve your PS3's performance. Use these settings to stop the Hard Freeze that a lot of people have been receiving while playing games, and increase console speed. (Note: You know your console is slowing down when you are playing a game online and you press the PS button to get to the friends list, and while doing that the console and screen hangs, the recovery menushould fix this or at least make it more responsive.)

(The link below explains how to access the Recovery Menu
, and what the options do.)
http://community.us.playstation.com/thr... 0&tstart=0

How to Access Playstation Recovery Menu

1. Turn off Playstation®3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press your finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button.
6. The Recovery Menu
will pop up.

The two settings to use are "Restore FileSystem" and "Rebuild Database".

Restore File System: - Checks forcorrupt/missing system files. (Note: will always tell you that your PS3 iscorrupted and needs to be restored so don't worry)
Rebuild Database: - Rebuilds the OS forthe PLAYSTATION®3.

Using these two settings will really speed up your PS3 and fix annoying errors that have to do with corrupted files. I use these two settings every few months to get my PS3 into optimal speed. Rebuilding Database does not delete any data, but Restore File System will delete some useless unimportant data like “Play lists”, it will tell you everything itdeletes before you use it.

By doing all of this your PS3 will be fully optimized.

Resolve PS3/Game Freezing Issues

I have noticed a lot of people complaining about games causing their PS3s to freeze, more than once or even several times. There is some things you can try to solve this.

1- Go into the GAME DATA UTILITY and delete the game data (patch) for the game that is freezing. Every time your PS3 freezes it can cause what ever files it was accessing at the time to become corrupted. So when you try to play the game again the PS3 has a higher chance of freezing due to the corrupted game data.

2 - It is possible that your save data could have become corrupted, and could be causing your PS3 to freeze as well, I know many of you do not want to delete your save data, so just copy it to a flash drive,and then delete the save data on the PS3, to see if your game save was causing the problem. If not just copy your game save back on the PS3.

3 - The recovery menu
should fix the corrupted HDD and System files, which can cause your system to freeze often. So make sure you run the Rebuild Database and Restore File System settings. It recommended that you do these settings everytime your system freezes to prevent further lose of data.

4 - When a new patch is released don't download and install it until you manually go into the "Game Data Utility" and delete the older Update Data for the game that is causing freezes, after you delete the old patch then install the new one. This will eliminate the new patch having problems overwriting the old patch, which could have resulted in freezing the PS3.

Improve Wireless Performance

Alright; normally the router's "Beacon Interval" is set to 100ms. If you are far away from the router, and there are obstructions such as walls in the way, you can improve your wireless connection by setting the "Beacon Interval" to 50ms or 75ms. What this does is increase the intervals that the router sends a signal, changing it to 50 ms will make the router send more beacons, which will sustain the connection, and provide a more reliable performance. In short the more beacons sent out by the router, the more likely a client will hear it. I recommend this setting change, as it reduced dead zones in my house, and improved my Wifi signal a lot.

Also I did some research on Wifi security such as WPA-TKIP, and WPA-AES, and what I found was really interesting. Alright so which one is better you might ask. Well WPA-AES is faster because its hardware driven and it's more secure. WPA-TKIP is software driven, and uses more load onthe router and PS3 to work, and it's less secure because it is a patched version of the WEP security which can be cracked. Don't ever use WEP security.So for faster and more secure performance use WPA-AES.

And last but not least, UPDATE your router'sfirmware. It is very important as firmware updates add features, fix bugs, and improve performance.

Optimize Wireless Traffic

Another performance tip for wireless connections! Alright so you have QoS/Traffic shaping setup in your router to prioritize your speed, and it helped, but it's still not enough. Well there is one more thingyou can try, and it's called a WISH rule. In short it's basically "Wireless Intelligent Stream Handling". What a WISH rule will allow you to do is not prioritize internet traffic but Wifi traffic. If you are gaming with multiple users using the Wifi signal then your connection could be hindered by to much traffic on the Wifi. What you will want to have ready before you try this is, your PS3 must have a DHCP Reservation or Static Lease.This will make sure your PS3 receives the same IP address every time it connects to the router. Now let’s begin:

Enable WISH: Checked

HTTP: Unchecked
Windows Media Center: Unchecked
Automatic: Checked (Note: This deprioritizes processes that have bulk transfers while keeping gaming priority the same.)

Or you can manually configure which devices get the best wireless priority:

(Add Wish Rule)

Enable: Checked
Name: Whatever You Please
Priority: Voice (VO) - Most Urgent
Protocol: Any
Host 1 IP Range: The range of your PS3's IP address. (So if my PS3's IP address is set to 192.168.0.145.) Then you would put 192.168.0.145 to 192.168.0.145.
Host 2 IP Range: (This is the range of all other computers.)Then you would put 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255.

Then save the rule.

Also you can make another rule to de-prioritizethe other computers other than the PS3, but to do this you must give every computer a static lease and then include them all in one range. This will give your PS3 top speed, while others are being slowed down. This will ensure your wireless connection is the best.

Improve/ Speed up PS3 HDD Loading Times

Buy a 7200RPM HDD drive as this will be considerably faster in reading/writing data to and from the PS3 system. The PS3s sold in stores have a 5400RPM HDD drive so loading times are not as fast as they can be. Also, when playing a game that has a lot of game data stored on the HDD installing a faster drive can fix stutters in the game.  Also if you want to spend the money you can buy a SDD (Solid State Drive)which is flash memory and has no moving parts. Because it has no moving parts the drive is a lot faster and more durable.

Thank you, for reading and have a good game.

Hope this helps!

• 2. GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

I am having issues with these new forums. Everything is weird...sorry.

• 4. GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

The advices doesn't help much because the IW's network (P2P) is itself shitty. And that's were the point is. Open Nat means only that you are able to host games and nothing else. If you have a worse host you still lag. The game has also this worse Anti-Lag like in MW2 from the videos that I have seen. Also the hitboxes are huge and with Anti-Lag it's a nightmare.

• 5. Re: GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

Very good information. Some that I never knew.

Great job, Dex!

• 6. Re: GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

djangoblack wrote:

The advices doesn't help much because the IW's network (P2P) is itself shitty. And that's were the point is. Open Nat means only that you are able to host games and nothing else. If you have a worse host you still lag. The game has also this worse Anti-Lag like in MW2 from the videos that I have seen. Also the hitboxes are huge and with Anti-Lag it's a nightmare.

I thought COD was P2P as well, but Vahn from the Black Ops forums straightened everyone out. Call of Duty actually uses listen servers. I was surprised myself. I am not sure what you mean by bad Anti-lag from MW2, that would be Black Ops. Black Ops has lag compensation, and I can never get a sold 3 green bar connection, where as MW2 I can get 3 green bars all the time. Tonight I got into a match on Black Ops and had solid green bars the whole time, however hit detection was still crap, and a lot of people in the lobby were jumping from red to yellow back an forth constantly which is usually what I have. If MW3 doesn't use the system that MW2 had, and the games runs like Black Ops then IW and SH have wasted their time. I could not enjoy Black Ops because of how bad it ran.

• 7. Re: GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED
    mdub

dexter1992 wrote:

djangoblack wrote:

I thought COD was P2P as well, but Vahn from the Black Ops forums straightened everyone out. Call of Duty actually uses listen servers. I was surprised myself. I am not sure what you mean by bad Anti-lag from MW2, that would be Black Ops. Black Ops has lag compensation, and I can never get a sold 3 green bar connection, where as MW2 I can get 3 green bars all the time. Tonight I got into a match on Black Ops and had solid green bars the whole time, however hit detection was still crap, and a lot of people in the lobby were jumping from red to yellow back an forth constantly which is usually what I have. If MW3 doesn't use the system that MW2 had, and the games runs like Black Ops then IW and SH have wasted their time. I could not enjoy Black Ops because of how bad it ran.

No matter how Treyarch worded it (listening servers).... its still p2p. If my PS3 is the host, yours connects to me=p2p no matter how fancy of a title you wish to give it.

• 8. Re: GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED

mdub wrote:

dexter1992 wrote:

djangoblack wrote:

No matter how Treyarch worded it (listening servers).... its still p2p. If my PS3 is the host, yours connects to me=p2p no matter how fancy of a title you wish to give it.

I know but the it's not actually that simple, there are servers in between that do the matchmaking and Quality of service checks. It is basically P2P but optimized more for gaming. I have no lag on MW2 and I game using a 3G Sprint Modem, I ping hosts at 130ms ping, I get 3 bars always and have great hit detection. If you have cable then I don't see how you are lagging.

• 9. GOT PS3 OR CONNECTION ISSUES, SUFFER LESS**UPDATED** 9/23/11 - SIMPLIFIED
    iif0xh0undii

Breaking it down like that might work when thinking in a simplistic way, but when you look at the topology it's entirely wrong.

You can argue that it is peer to peer, but it doesn't act that way.

1 2 3 Previous Next