19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2011 2:58 AM by midago73 RSS

MW3 Multiplayer Details from Sledgehammer Games

Sledgehammer Games are making the MP aspect of MW3 (IW are making the SP and Coop aspect). This is a blog from Sledgehammer's COO Michael Condrey:

“Sledgehammer.  I’m a huge PC guy.  Please tell me more about MW3 on the PC.  I know there’ll be dedicated servers but what will that truly mean?”

- Jacob

North Carolina

Jacob,

MW3 on the PC is going to be a great game and we are excited to launch it day and date with the consoles on November 8, 2011.   There is a ton of work being done to ensure the PC experience is fantastic.  Dedicated servers is a big feature that fans have been vocally asking about since its absence in MW2.   Erik Strickland, Principal Engineer, is leading the effort.  Let's ask him for some of his insight...  Erik?

Thanks Condrey. 

Hi Jacob.

We believe that Modern Warfare 3 match-making delivers a best-in-class competitive experience on consoles as well as PC.  For users who want deep customization and control on PC we’re also supporting free-to-download, free-to-run dedicated servers on launch day.  Using familiar tools, admins can download and run servers on their own hardware, customizing access, game rules and map rotation to their liking.

We’re embracing the Steam platform. From both the Steam and game clients, users can: browse, join, and favorite these servers; send and accept invites; everything just as you’d expect.  For gameplay customization MW3 dedicated servers leverage our recipe system to allow admins to finely tune gameplay without trial-and-error fiddling. Of course, server admins will have all the tools they expect - access control by IP/password, player kicking/banning, remote console access, etc…

In short, we are bringing back the features of Call of Duty 4's dedicated servers that the community has requested, and we hope everyone will be excited by the outcome  – let us know on November 8th!

http://www.sledgehammergames.com/blog/view/72

So, that confrims a 2-tier system for PC MW3: matchmaking (probably on a new version of IWNet); and public dedicated server files free to download.

The "familiar tools" he talks about sounds like HLDS (Half Life Dedicated Server tool, a standard Valve tool to setup a dedicated server which hooks in to Steam), since I don't know any other "familiar tool" in connection with Steam and dedicated servers.

What worries me is not that they are using a 2-tier system (the noobs are welcome to their matchmaking), but that developing such a system has meant technical limitations, so that they have to drop aspects of the game we dedicated server fans think are essential to the game - like LEAN for example. This was dropped from MW2 because there are technical difficulties using lean over a Peer2Peer backbone. I just hope it doesn't mean the same for MW3.

However, this I do like this bit:

customizing access, game rules and map rotation to their liking

So, no more forced-playlist type rotations, and no more 5 minute matches, with stupidly low scorelimits.

• MW3 Multiplayer Details from Sledgehammer Games
    {bhc}max|co

all very well, but still some stuff isnt clear, are gsp's able to host dedicated servers ? or is it just individual player hosted?  what are server size limits , what are the list and description of all mp maps? will there be a way to set to competition mode, ie promod style? will there be mod tools ? will there be radient to make maps? im sure there is more we need to know

---------------

all very well, but still some stuff isnt clear, are gsp's able to host dedicated servers ? or is it just individual player hosted?  what are server size limits , what are the list and description of all mp maps? will there be a way to set to competition mode, ie promod style? will there be mod tools ? will there be radient to make maps? im sure there is more we need to know

----------------

Logic dictates that if the server files are free for everyone to download, then GSPs will be able to host servers at their data centres. After all, what would exclude them from the term "everyone"?  GSPs are people too.

• Re: MW3 Multiplayer Details from Sledgehammer Games
        {bhc}max|co

weve been fooled before by mis information,  i tend to try to read between the lines, and untill its in b/w ill believe it when i see it. this is the part that worrys me, "admins can download and run servers on thier OWN hardware..

------------

weve been fooled before by mis information,  i tend to try to read between the lines, and untill its in b/w ill believe it when i see it. this is the part that worrys me, "admins can download and run servers on thier OWN hardware..

-------------

There is a big difference between never believing a word they say, and interpreting what they say. If you do the former, then no amount of info they tell us is going to satisfy - even if they answered everyone of your questions with clarity and precision, you still wont believe what they say.

Personally, whereas I fully support caution, this idea that everything they tell us is a lie is ultimately self-defeating. You might as well not hang out on forums like this to get info, because as I say, no matter what they tell us, either explicitily or implicitly, you still wont believe them.

Also, I would add - only ONCE have they mislead us. That's ONCE in 8 releases. I think it's time to move on from the one time they mislead us, and start remembering all the other 7 game releases when they didn't mislead us.

As for the part that worries you - GPS OWN their hardware. Also, many, many clans OWN their own server blades at data centres. They don't rent - they already OWN their own dedicated boxes. It really is as simple as that.

First, great piece of information.

But then this :

Also, I would add - only ONCE have they mislead us. That's ONCE in 8 releases. I think it's time to move on from the one time they mislead us, and start remembering all the other 7 game releases when they didn't mislead us.

They have only mislead us once ????

Lets's see... 

1. Loved  UO.
            2. With CoD2 they "forgot" the out of the box anti-cheat for the PC. MP game ruined.
            3. -
            4. CoD4 - The famous Community Mapping Contest...
            5. WaW
            6. CoD6 - BLOCKED
            7. BO - Where is radiant ? It stopped with: we are working on that one....

What scares me is the ommision of the word RANKED and DEDICATED in the same sentence, this will make or break the game on PC.

midago73

Gameservers have replied to our server admin and said that they will be rentind MW3 servers, don't know about any others.

{bhc}max|co

i want to believe that all will be good, but why cant the devs just come out and state everything about pc mw3 , or come here and eleviate our concerns. My concern is what they tell us is facts that can be elaborated on.. all their statements lead to more questions, which makes me feel theyre hiding something..

j6k4

Would you be able to customise allowed classes/weapon damages etc? Like in COD4 Promod? Will we have Lean side to side option? That's the question the PC community would like to know. They want to know whether MW3 will have the full potential of competetive COD game!

j6k4 wrote:

Would you be able to customise allowed classes/weapon damages etc? Like in COD4 Promod? Will we have Lean side to side option? That's the question the PC community would like to know. They want to know whether MW3 will have the full potential of competetive COD game!

It is unlikely that they will allow us to restrict weapons, perks, or attachments for ranked matches. Although fourzerotwo has mentioned this when talking in respect to the XBOX, he spoke about Private Matches. So, it will probably be that, like in COD4, restrictions will only be possible for unranked PC games.

One thing I do know for certain - you will never be able to modify weapon damage with anything other than a mod.

"noobs are welcome to their matchmaking"

Are you ******* serious?  Have you played the last 2 CoD's where they had dedicated servers?  I can't find a server with less then 100 ping that isnt 24/7 Nuketown or tripple xp or inifinte levels, or all unlocks etc etc. 

They had the right idea last time, just needed a way for players to deal with hackers, and needed more options for the competitive community.  The casual community on PC was garbage thanks to kids and their fgt ******* servers.