1 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next 276 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2012 8:02 AM by nflfenatic Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    VanillaFlava

Something I'd like to add, and this is purely from MY OBSERVATIONS, so take it with a grain of salt. But this is how it appears from my viewpoint. I'm primarily a hardcore mode player, have been since COD 4. I'm not here to discuss the core vs hardcore thing, so please don't bring that into the debate. But honestly this is where I notice these things the most, primarily because you die in one bullet. Many times I've appeared to have fired first in a gun fight, only to drop after my opponent apparently was faster than I. I'm open to being outplayed, not saying that isn't a factor. But frequently when I die either in the scenario just mentioned, or when trying to take cover, or any of the other countless scenarios that happen in this game, the player who I die to is consistently on a 3-Bar. Now I'm only taking into account deaths that I think are questionable, and this is through constantly checking connections throughout the game. These people don't just randomly drop to 3-Bars, they are on those connections the entire time. And as stated, I'm almost always on a 4 Bar. Funny thing is, when I'm on a 3 Bar connection, I can't win a gun fight to save my life. I'm behind everyone still. I don't seem to understand this. 4-Bar, I'm behind, 3-Bar I'm behind. The people I consistently lose to are on 3-Bar connections, and sometimes less. Now like I said, this is purely from my observational standpoint, but I have been checking this for quite some time now and I can tell you that is it almost always the same case. And (for me at least) the same things happen in core mode, so it's not just confined to hardcore. I don't know what the problem is, how I can fix it, or what I can do.

• 91. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    VanillaFlava

bump for Maccabi. I don't know if you've had any time to check out the posts I've written and see what I have going on, but any advice you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

• 92. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)

I think in a lot of peoples situations QoS can be one of the biggest things to improve online gaming latency.  If you are in a household with a busy network of people streaming, browsing, using VOIP, torrenting, downloading and the like it can have a really big negative impact on your gaming experience.  And it's a factor even if your line isn't anywhere near saturated from such things going on.  Seems that a lot of stock router firmwares now come with some level of QoS, but I've noticed it's usually a bit lacking.  Anybody interested in really gaining control over how their traffic is shaped should look into a router that supports a 3rd party firmware.  Personally I use Tomato as it's always been super reliable and it has stellar QoS controls as well as many other useful features, but there are other solid options available and basically all of them are going to be better than whatver stock firmware came installed on your router.

All of that said I still have the same problem describe a couple of posts above.  Regardless of 3 bars or 4 I often seem to be just a bit 'behind' my opponent and will lose a firefight I just clearly should have won.  I'm fine with losing in a firefight and I can admit when I just got beat, but that's just not always the case.  This is also the first CoD game where I've had this problem.  It also seems very inconsistent where some games it's fine, others it's not.  It's even switches back and forth during the course of a single game sometimes it seems.  I've never played with my MTU but I might do that at some point just to see if it helps, honestly I don't have a whole lot of faith that it will though.  If I decide to play with it I'll report back here with the results.

• 93. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    VanillaFlava

Hey Soth, appreciate the ongoing dialogue. I have actually played with my QoS and made my xbox the highest prioritzed item, but alas seen no difference. As I said before it shouldn't make a difference anyway. When I play online, I'm the only one using my internet. In fact when I hardwire directly into my modem the problem gets worse. That's something no one on this forum can explain to me. I'm open to anything, but at this point I've optimized every little thing, I've taken every chance I could to get my equipment up to par (I even upgraded the software on my tv). So at this point I'm really at a loss

• 94. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    vims1990

Hey Mac,

As requested, the make and model of my router is the CISCO LINKSYS WAG320N Modem Router

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/gateways/WAG320N

Cheers

• 95. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    ghorman

Its all related to the lag comp and your ping.  I feel your pain and I have a very good connection.  Something is not right within the game and you can't fix it by  improving your connection.  The reason it is worse on a hardwire is because a hardwire has better performance than the wireless.  I get some unplayable games and a lot magic bullets.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/51298801.png

[URL=http://www.pingtest.net][IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/51298801.png[/IMG][/URL]

• 96. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    sweatyclam

Don't read to much into those bars, they show different connection speeds on everyones x-box's at times, so take them with a pinch of salt!

• 97. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    maccabi

TurdFerguson00 wrote:

this is a great thread.. and i have alot of appreciation for the op for doing it..

however its all misguided when it comes to this game... these are all great steps to improve your connection... however improving your connection in MW3 is the worst thing you can do... you will likely start pulling host and finding you cant buy a kill etc..

they tried to even everyone out... but you cant make a bad connection better, but you can retard a good connection! and thats what they do...

people think they have problems with their connection when its actually the opposite...

again i keep saying this ..this thread has nothing to do with the game, its solely about making sure you own network is setup correctly, this thread was made long before the game came out. Please if you want to discuss elements with mw3 go find another thread this isnt the place for it i couldnt give two hoots about the game or how it runs in this thread. I only added the two links about lag comp and the engine (again looong before the game came out solely as a reference as i knew people would be asking.

Nothing i have written is meant to be a fix for any percieved problems anyone may be expereincing i never claimed nor insinuated that was the point.

• 98. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    maccabi

VanillaFlava wrote:

bump for Maccabi. I don't know if you've had any time to check out the posts I've written and see what I have going on, but any advice you could lend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

right sorry i did say i wouldnt check this post as often as id like..but

had a quick look through what you have posted one thing that sticks out ..

your modem im guessing its the bog standard generic one the isp gave you right?

if i was to give an educated guess this is the culprit of your woes.. cable modems have whats called a buffer when traffic flow is greate than it can handle it buffers packets and releases them when it can end result you lose packets and in a gaming enviroment this is bad,

if you look on the main thread theres a heading "not all equipment is equal (just below the port chart) in that section is a link to a interactive thingy ma bob that will explain what i mean. although its for routers and tcp packets the same princible applies to cable modems.

BUT if your issues are only in this game please dont start tinkering too much yet give the devs time to tweak their settings.

• 99. Re: Optimizing your connection on the Xbox - The Elagaphant strikes back  (updated 7th NOV)
    maccabi

vims1990 wrote:

Hey Mac,

As requested, the make and model of my router is the CISCO LINKSYS WAG320N Modem Router

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-eu/support/gateways/WAG320N

Cheers

vims sorry mate i totally forgot about this been rushed off me feet today bear with me ill post what ya need sometime sunday afternoon my time if thats ok

1 8 9 10 11 12 Previous Next