28 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2011 3:52 PM by myC4isL3giT RSS

RIP Steve Jobs

DFlannagan11
Apple have [url=http://apple.com/stevejobs:is8fhy65]just announced[/url:is8fhy65] that co-founder and former CEO Steve Jobs has passed away.

Deeply saddened by this news, if I'm honest. I've been an Apple user since 2007, and have watched all of Steve's keynotes since this point during which he announced new products, etc. His level of enthusiasm was striking.

RIP Steve.

For Pixar, and for Apple, thank you.
  • Re: RIP Steve Jobs
    Adamater
    Am I sad? no. people die, why is he different? Am I happy? I'm not an *******... but honestly why are people so surprised? Pancreatic cancer is no joke and we've known for some time now....
    and btw hello iwf.
    myC4isL3giT
    Respectfully, RIP the other guys' CEO. Honestly, viva Amazon and Microsoft!
    Sad to hear about someone die. But I can't really say I liked any of their products that I have ever owned.. Kind wanted an iPod touch at one point. But I'd rarely use it :/
    Volatile Beans
    Steve Jobs was a genius. He not only understood that design and simplicity were the two keys to a good product, but he was also able to deliver this sort of product to the masses. Whether you like Apple or not, what you use today is (in almost every instance) influenced by Apple.
    DFlannagan11

Volatile Beans wrote:

Steve Jobs was a genius. He not only understood that design and simplicity were the two keys to a good product, but he was also able to deliver this sort of product to the masses. Whether you like Apple or not, what you use today is (in almost every instance) influenced by Apple.

Exactly!

Look at smartphones today. When Apple launched the iPhone, they spoke about the design, and how those keyboards are STUPID! Now look at the majority of popular smartphones. They rely on touchscreen imput solely (minus Blackberry).

I'm not saying "OMG. Steve was responsible for everything at Apple" --  no, that would be very foolish. I'm saying Steve helped lead Apple to success.

They're one of, if not the most successful modern tech company, and Steve helped with that. A lot.

So, yeah... even if you love or hate Apple, there is absolutely no denying that this guy was a complete genius.
    He was able to shovel crap for outrageous prices the man was clearly very very good at what he did

Do I care that he died?  No not in the slightest, I'm completely indifferent to the whole situation
    Hardline Pro.

Myth700 wrote:

He was able to shovel crap for outrageous prices the man was clearly very very good at what he did

Do I care that he died?  No not in the slightest, I'm completely indifferent to the whole situation

Apple revolutionized some of the world's greatest technology. It's safe to say that without Steve, we may not have had some of the technologies that we have today.
    myC4isL3giT
    ^ Second part, no. Myth would probably agree but with a bit more detail. :P

Edit: I was correct. See next post by Myth.

Hardline Pro. wrote:

Myth700 wrote:

Apple revolutionized some of the world's greatest technology. It's safe to say that without Steve, we may not have had some of the technologies that we have today.

Don't want to turn this into an argument so this will be my parting statement

The technology was always there, they just marketed the crap out if it

He was a genius in terms of marketing and creating hype.  Made people purchase things that are way beyond a realistic price range for that particular piece of technology.  In that he is one of the best

I'm pretty sure we could have done fine without Apple, the technology was there they just made it the "it" thing
    For the record, I don't like that people act like he came up with every single idea. They pay people for that.
    EvanMyspace

DigitalViper wrote:

For the record, I don't like that people act like he came up with every single idea. They pay people for that.

Lies, he made it all.
    Hardline Pro.

DigitalViper wrote:

He didn't. But he did help a lot.
    I'm really starting to think that I'm the only person that really doesn't care all that much about this.

Seems like every site I visit is blowing up with stuff about Steve -.-
    myC4isL3giT
    ^ Agreed
    thedeadmccoy
    eh, who is steve jobs?

---------------------------
    greetings from Amsterdam

thedeadmccoy wrote:

eh, who is steve jobs?

---------------------------
    greetings from Amsterdam

Who was Steve Jobs...

Co founder of Apple...
    FlamingAces
    such a shame, don't think I go anywhere without my ipod now. My itouch was a beacon of enjoyment on long travels and i loved it to bits. So much hate for apple products but I love them :)
    DFlannagan11

DigitalViper wrote:

I've not seen one person act like that.

Steve came back when Apple was kinda failing. Look at them now. They're one of the most successful companies in tech.

He definitely did not "come up with every single idea" -- anyone that truly believes that is an idiot. However, he clearly did influence the design and development of Apple's products to a great degree. It wasn't just that he was great at marketing, but he was passionate about tech. We seen that during his press conferences. Look at the iPad and iPhone announcement and you'll see what I mean.

DFlannagan10 wrote:

DigitalViper wrote:

I've not seen one person act like that.

Steve came back when Apple was kinda failing. Look at them now. They're one of the most successful companies in tech.

He definitely did not "come up with every single idea" -- anyone that truly believes that is an idiot. However, he clearly did influence the design and development of Apple's products to a great degree. It wasn't just that he was great at marketing, but he was passionate about tech. We seen that during his press conferences. Look at the iPad and iPhone announcement and you'll see what I mean.

You must be blind not to see it. Everybody is going on about how it's such a great shame, and how he "changed the world." Overseeing the production of a money-making machine is not changing the world, it's changing his house, his car, and his outdoor pool. No idiot would ever say he "changed the world" meaning that because he was the CEO of Apple and oversaw the production. If somebody says that, its because they think he came up with all the ideas, as that's the only plausible way anything that he could have done could be considered changing the world.
    addddam
    Dodged taxes by taking $1 a year in payment and earned the rest of his money through shares and 'corporate gifts'.

Cancelled all of Apple's philanthropic programs when he took over in 1997 and never started them up again. As far as we know, he also never gave any sums of money to charity. Refused to join The Giving Pledge; a campaign to encourage the incredibly rich to give money to charity, set up by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett.

As of 2007, Gates had given over $28 billion to charity. Sure, Jobs might've given loads privately. But why cancel the philanthropic programs? That doesn't even make sense from a business standpoint since it can damage public opinion.

On top of this he employed people for minimum-wage in third world countries. And that's not so bad in itself; most electronics companies do this. But he then had the cheek to charge ridiculous prices for the products. What ever happened to passing the savings on to the customer?

Not a fan of the man, not a fan of the company.

Saying that, 56 is kinda young for anybody to die, so that's actually a shame. I mean, my Dad's older than that and still going strong. Cancer's a *****.
    JONNYFINGERS
    Why is everyone getting so wound up over a CO founder of apple? sheesh, i would hate to see it around here when Bill Gates dies....people flipping cars in the streets and throwing computer monitors out there windows...burning hard drives and floppy disks in there fire place for heat...it will be Armageddon.

sorry i am watching a die hard movie while typing on my Dell.
    myC4isL3giT
    Found something interesting.

I'm sure you guys know about these d-bags... read this tweet and then read what it says after the date... facepalm...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/status/121733810231590912">https://t witter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/st ... 0231590912</a><!-- m -->

myC4isL3giT wrote:

Found something interesting.

I'm sure you guys know about these d-bags... read this tweet and then read what it says after the date... facepalm...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/status/121733810231590912">https://twitter.com/#!/MargieJPhelps/st ... 0231590912</a><!-- m -->

What a bunch of horrible trolls xD
    Funny how Steve Jobs dies and the whole world goes a little crazy for a day acknowledging his greatness and how much he did for technology

He will be missed greatly and such for his glorified PR and ability to create hype

Dennis Richie's died today and not a peep from most places, didn't notice a thread or anything...

Who is Dennis Richie's you may ask?

Dennis Richie's is the guy who developed the C programming language and co developed Unix, which are both the foundations for modern Windows, Mac OS and iOS. His influence on software development has rippled out as far as anyone could dream

Wonder if he will be in the paper tomorrow?

Myth700 wrote:

Funny how Steve Jobs dies and the whole world goes a little crazy for a day acknowledging his greatness and how much he did for technology

He will be missed greatly and such for his glorified PR and ability to create hype

Dennis Richie's died today and not a peep from most places, didn't notice a thread or anything...

Dennis Richie's is the guy who developed the C programming language and co developed Unix, which are both the foundations for modern Windows, Mac OS and iOS. His influence on software development has rippled out as far as anyone could dream

Honestly I don't see why anyone is worrying about any of this stuff.

Sure these guys left their marks on technology. But in another 5-10 years most of this stuff will probably be obsolete and considered junk anyway. And sure you can argue "If we didn't have Dennis or Steve we wouldn't be to that point in 5-10 years!" or whatever. But someone paved the way in one form or another for them as well. Yet those people probably got very little credit as well.

Its kinda hard for me to care about any of this when the technology we are used to could easily be obsolete in a few years anyway.
    Hardline Pro.

Myth700 wrote:

He's trending on Twitter. ;) My guess is YES, there will be at least one paper printed tomorrow with a story about him.

Hardline Pro. wrote:

He's trending on Twitter. ;)

Shame he finally made it to the big time only after dying.
    myC4isL3giT
    And such will be my legacy as well after I develop the iC4 phone + gaming system + microwave. I'll be putting Apple, Walmart, Obama, and Activison out of business.

I'll give you guys a piece of the inside scoop... the unit includes a built in detonator! Its biodegradable AND recyclable!!

When I die during testing I'll be famous on Twitter! #1 trending in Latvia, Bangladesh, Nepal and Uruguay! I'll be a hero!!