12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2011 9:56 AM by fallenshadow000 RSS

Sniping tips?

Hi guys. I'm new around here and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on how to be a better sniper? I really wanna learn some awesome Qscoping tips, dragscoping and the like. And just so you know, i'm not against "hardscoping". I've got the MSR now and I'm having inconsistent games. I'm getting good scores at first then bad scores then worse scores then good scores again. It's frigging irritating sometimes. If you guys could help a fellow Lvl 70 noobie, then it would be great! Thanks!

• Re: Sniping tips?

TBH, if you really want to snipe (NOT QS like the newfags do), you need to be on a legitimate team. I never used to snipe while playing alone, only because I didn't have a spotter; even with my claymore, it'd be harder to kill someone if they got into my blind spots. This doesn't happen near as often now that I have a spotter (or two) nearby to call out enemy movement.

Also, with the game rules I play under, I'm not allowed the use of Claymore/Betty/C4 so having a spotter(s) becomes even more important. It's vital to remember to have your spotter looking in an area that you cannot immediately see (most likely below you). Since long sight lines are your best friend, the spotter can cover those areas such as tight corners and doorways.

Variable zoom is your best friend. I found it to be GODLY in Black Ops; Extended Mags are unnecessary in the wake of more precise shots. Marksman Pro + Variable + Stability = SEX.

Your best bet is to roll with people you know that can help cover your ass while you snipe. As for QS; that's a cheap tactic for players that can't actually hit a target without abusing Aim Assist. Don't bother with it.

Dude really tell me what clan you are in so i can stay far away from it and play against it, you cant shoot down airsupport or use claymores etc,  what does your team try to gimp them self as much as possible?

So you're saying i should support rather than attack? Provide overwatch?

EXACTLY. That's what a sniper is supposed to do. Your spotter(s) cover your ass and inform you of enemy positions. Callouts are key, so let your team know if you miss a shot.

avengedyesterday

NooBSniper wrote:

So you're saying i should support rather than attack? Provide overwatch?

Don't listen to him. If you aren't trying to be a tryhard MLG pro playing like a retard in public matches do your own thing.

Its all about getting your reflexes down. In blackops this was easy because their were bots to practice with. For now i'd suggest playing FFA where things are a little less chaotic and it's more 1 v 1 battles. MW3 maps ARE NOT designed well for sniping. There are a handful of spots with decent lines of sight. Other than that you are going to have to keep moving around the map to where the battles are. You will eventually get a feel of where to go and what places to avoid.

Another simple tip is to make sure you don't move when you scope in, i see a lot of people doing this. As soon as you hit the scope button don't touch that movement joystick. Get used to where the center of your screen is ( steady aim helps ) You want to try and already be as close to center as you can before you scope in or the enemy should atleast be in your scope as you scope in.

It takes some time to get used to but sniping in mw3 is far easier than any other call of duty to date. Most likely due to the maps being made poorly for snipers.

Quickscoping tip=practice a bunch. Repitition is the best way to get better at quickscoping. The more you practice your timing the better/more consistent you'll be.  Also, map awareness...know the high traffic areas, and best ways to get out of a hot spot.  Know good vantage points too (the few there are).

Dragscoping can be practiced in a private match, make sure you're playin on a higher sensitivity and work on dragging your crosshairs to targets quickly. Aim for center mass.

WarEmblem27 wrote:

Quickscoping tip=practice a bunch.

AKA learn how to abuse aim assist.

You clearly don't know how to QS. You dont think youre benefiting from aim assist when youre scoped in?! Hahah Aim assist works when you're hardscoping too, moron.

Have fun using a spotter to have to snipe in a video game. Lol

Learn to play and quit abusing a shitty exploit. Snipers pick their targets off at range, they don't run out in the middle of the field jumping up and down like an idiot. They cover their team as they move up the map.

Thanks man. All of these tips worked great for me. I sort of mixed them up. I provided over watch while attacking. it's sort of hard to explain. While i move up the map while trying to cover my teamates asses, I sometimes encounter opponents while moving. I just had to quickscope. And I provided cover as well. I guess snipers are good for attack and defence as long as you got quickscoping, dragscoping and covering your allies' back?

I'm glad you followed my tips; I'm also glad that someone follows the same philosophy I do of "Camp, Kill, Move". I'd try to minimize the QS by pulling out your secondary while you're moving, but that's just me.