30 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2011 9:33 PM by markocc RSS

Please, fix lag compensation.

fantasmo

Honestly, today has just been rediculous. Thanks to lag compensation i'm getting dominated by people who would have rarely killed me in other call of duties. Everyone knows it an issue and you people are still in "discussion". What the ****? Its supposed to help players with bad internet? Really? So the majority of people with good internet get ****** over. Come on, it needs to be fixed.  This thread has  been posted a ton and here comes another, get off your asses and fix what needs to be fixed.

• Re: Please, fix lag compensation.
    dlundebjerg28

Do you even know what lag compensation is? Do you even know what it does? Lag compensation, and actual lag are two different things.

Lag compensation plays a minimal role in head to head gunfights. The only time lag compensation comes into play is ducking behind cover and running around corners. The fact is that without lag compensation, you wouldn't hit half the shots you take. Without lag companstaion you would have to aim ahead of or behind the target you see on your screen and hope these adjustments are on par with the lag. Lag compensation may add a few bs deaths to your death total, but its a necessary evil. It needs to be there, and it shouldn't be touched

markocc

dlundebjerg28 wrote:

Lag compensation plays a minimal role in head to head gunfights. The only time lag compensation comes into play is ducking behind cover and running around corners. The fact is that without lag compensation, you wouldn't hit half the shots you take. Without lag companstaion you would have to aim ahead of or behind the target you see on your screen and hope these adjustments are on par with the lag. Lag compensation may add a few bs deaths to your death total, but its a necessary evil. It needs to be there, and it shouldn't be touched

Lag compensation plays a huge role in one on one gunfights. Why wouldn't it? If I get in a fight head to head with somebody and we both start firing at the exact same time, I will die because my first 3 bullets won't count, theirs will and I will be dead before number 4 even hits them.

fantasmo

Fix doesn't mean remove, read what I wrote before you start talking ****. Fix means to tweak. Geez man, at leat read the post before you go on to talk about something which isn't even neccessary/

I resorted to using the Striker and I even lose head to head gun battles with a shotgun.

One in particular was so egregious that I had to just stop playing.  We had a UAV and I knew there was a guy around the corner.  I rounded the corner ready for a fight, pumped out 3 (THREE) on-target shots from the striker, only to have him rush me and knife me.  I watched the kill cam and I never fired a shot.

Lag (or lag compensation...  whatever) is killing this game for many of us.

For the record:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/52890689.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1658529532.png

I posted similar results on the Xbox MW3 forums and someone brought up something very insightful. When you do a ping test it is run to the server that is closest to you, but when you play a game you play with people all over the nation, if not the world. Try testing your ping with servers far away from you and see if that doesn't offer a few answers and insights.

The point of the ping test is to show that I am CAPABLE of a good ping.  If I couldn't ping a close server under 100ms then it would stand to reason that there is an issue with my line (either in my house or to the main distribution point).  The fact that I CAN ping a server at 20-something ms indicates that I have no problem with my connection.

Now....  How MW3 uses my connection to connect me to a game is another matter.  I am quite capable of having a great connection but whatever voodoo the CoD Gods are working in the background is prohibiting me from having a lag-free experience.  Whether it is "lag compensation" or just connecting me to a host that is a half a continent away is inconsequential to me.  All I know is that my connection is not being used to it's potential.

By comparison, I didn't have this issue with MW2.  I hated that game for a host of reasons but I rarely ever raged at the lag.  If they can do it in one game then I am certain that they can do it in MW3.  For some reason they haven't been able to hop into the time machine and figure out what they did right a few years ago and replicate it now. 

pneumatic wrote:

The point of the ping test is to show that I am CAPABLE of a good ping.  If I couldn't ping a close server under 100ms then it would stand to reason that there is an issue with my line (either in my house or to the main distribution point).  The fact that I CAN ping a server at 20-something ms indicates that I have no problem with my connection.

FINALLY!!! Someone else saying what I have been saying all along! These people think that pinging a server 1200 miles away makes a difference are clueless. Once you are outside your ISP network it DOESN'T MATTER! Your connection is fine is from you to the backbone and if I am hitting a server outside of TWC and it shows 20ms, MY CONNECTION IS FINE!

Whether it is lag compensation or matchmaking it doesn't matter, there is something wrong with the core of the multiplayer game. Everyone sees it, everyone knows it is an issue so stop defending them. There are SEVERAL videos showing exactly what is wrong with this title. Does it happen on other titles? Yes but not this bad! The fact that their forums and Elite lag out should tell you something as well.

I had several matches in the past couple of days where I have been in foreign rooms. It gets old really quick when you see people skipping around the map!

Remove lag compensation.  Hell its not my fault you can't afford a good connection or you don't want to pay for fast internet.

pho555 wrote:

Remove lag compensation.  Hell its not my fault you can't afford a good connection or you don't want to pay for fast internet.

Someone's internet speed does not necessarily correlate with his income or willingness to pay.

I live in a 5,000 square foot house on 2 acres in a very affluent area.  The problem is that the cable companies aren't falling all over themselves to run fiber out here to an area that is not densly populated.  By comparison, 5 miles away, the apartments and neighborhoods full of 1,800 square foot houses packed close together have a great connection.  My income and ability to pay is probably 10x that of someone living in those apartments but they most likely have a better internet connection than I do. 

I only recently was able to get a semi-decent connection but I went for 6 years with a connection that you would probably call "ghetto".  I can certainly afford the best connection on the planet (and am willing to pay for it) but if it's not available....  It's not available.

Leave out the "you can't afford it" argument.  It's stupid.  Some people with bad internet connections could easily buy and sell you 100 times over (and are willing to do it).  

rwcgillam

I know the feeling pneumatic.  I don't have enough money to pay the cable company to run cable 10 miles out of their way JUST FOR ME.  I also can't pay the cell phone companies enough money to build a tower JUST FOR ME so I can get a 4g connection.  And I refuse to move from a perfectly good house in a perfectly good location just so I can play MW3.  I'm just happy I don't have to settle for dial up anymore.

I die just as much as any one else due to lag and lag compensation.  My internet connection does not save my life. Also, people I know that have high speed internet lag, and have in every Call of Duty game they have played.

As long as there are millions of people playing this game at the same time you will have lag.  Why?  Because everyone is connected to the internet through different providers and they are not directly connected to the server they are playing on. 

fantasmo

Alright so I saw someone say try a server at a longer distance over one at a short distance:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/53245445.png

Not the best I know, but these are the people I usually get grouped with.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1670679634.png

Not the best result again, I know. I still feel that this is decent enough to get me a fair playing field but no I get completely obliterated by anyone who has worse internet than me.

I Live in New Zealand BTW.

vims1990

Also a kiwi as well running on this connection (Slingshot NZ):

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1670695942.png

Games seems to run worse for me when I get host compared to when I don't. After the patch, my host connection has improved but I still get those insta-kill WTF moments after I shoot half a clip into someone else.

I don't think in New Zealand that it is rare to see an upload speed reach 1 Mbps. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that does. I always 4 bar & I get host quite alot if it's all kiwi until you get an Aussie host. But I find 3 bar actually decent compared to hosting.

Hopefully after the holiday break, the devs will tweak the current lag comp setting so everyone is more on an even playing field.

fantasmo

Yup, hosting just screws me over. 99% of the time, I will find a lobby and then after the game I will get host. I cannot play on host, its just utterly rediculous.

vims1990

Have you tried lowering your MTU settings on your router. I've set mine to 1400.

If you were an XBOX 360 player, I'd add you and offer to take host responsibilies (I normally get host when I play with my clan which is a good thing considering the number of host on the opposing team that dashboard when the game is almost finished).

I mean it doesn't bother me as much to host but before the patch, I had to set my NAT Type to Moderate to avoid host as I found it completely unplayable.

fantasmo

Ah thats a bummer, only got a PS3 lol, i'll probably go over to xbox eventually due to the better online though. I was thinking of making my NAT moderate but then I started thinking wondering why I should stop myself from hosting parties, lobbies etc just so I can play properly.

I'll try changing my MTU but i'm not entirely sure what it is, I'll take a look though. Thanks for the help lol.

Edit: Took a look through the routers tabs but couldn't find anything with "MTU", just wondering how you changed yours. I'll try and ask around on Vodafone's forum.

Also, I never knew slingshot gave out those kinds of speed, don't they have a lot of drop times + bad customer service?

vims1990

Yeah, Slingshot has terrible customer service but so far, their deals + connections have been better than Vodafone. Speed in general has been solid, never dealed with random internet disconnection issues.

Currently, I'm paying around $NZ 70 for 250 GB so it's enough for both gaming & YouTube.

What's your router? I can probably have a look around for an online manual and give you a step by step to changing your MTU? Also, Dexter1992 has some solid tips on improving your connection for the PS3. Send him a PM or look through his recent posts about configuring your router.

I also asked Slingshot to disable "interleaving" which they did. I could tell it made some positive changes with my connection. I believe Vodafone can the same thing as I've dealt with them before.

fantasmo

Alright, thanks mate. I'll try to take a look at his posts, I'll try talk to vodafone as well. One of the things that makes me weary about slingshot is 2 of my friends seem to be getting completely garbage connections from them - must be their line though.

dlundebjerg28

Read your post before responding, my point is that things you blame on lag compensation have nothing to do with it. If you die because you were behind cover or around a corner but somehow you died, blame lag compensation. If you lose a head to head gunfight where you feel like you got 2 shotted or you put half a clip into someone and they didn't die, blame lag and hit detection. They are two completely different things, and its aggrivating to see guys blaming stuff on lag compensation when they have no idea what it is or what it does.

I used to blindly follow what people said on the forums, and then I decided to use google and look crap up for myself. You'd be surprised at how many people post stuff that is wrong, yet forum members blindly agree. My best advice, figure out what lag compensation is on your  own. Look things up, dont listen to what you read on the forum. Eventually, you'll come to realize its a necessary evil and its doing its job in MW3

fantasmo

If the thing applies to turning corners and still dying it should still apply to 1v1 gun fights. Also I didn't state that in the OP. I was saying new players are completely dominating me because of it. This could mean that I was running around a corner and dying to some guy who can barely aim but he still gets the kill due to lag compensation?

dlundebjerg28

You running around a corner and getting insta-killed has to do with lag, not lag compensation. Doesn't matter if hes a brand new player, or has had the game since releast, if you're lagging behind him hes gonna have the jump on you. Lag compensation doesn't have to do with a lot of the bs deaths you and other players blame it for. I apologize if you think I'm attacking you personally, becasuse I'm not, I'm attacking the general consensus that lag compesnation is such an issue. This has been a feature in ever CoD game, and the fact its now getting the blame for deaths is wrong. I'm not disagreeing that the connections in this game are screwy, but it has little to do with the lag compensation. Lag compensation is a scape goat for poor matchmaking. If anything needs to be tweaked, it needs to be that. I get thrown into lobbies with British players a lot, one of us is gonna be lagging behind the other, no way an overseas connection is gonna be good. I'm not saying you are whining for no reason, I'm simply saying you are blaming the wrong thing. Instead of tweaking lag compensation, tweak matchmaking.

fantasmo

Thanks for the reply, I can see what you mean now. I was incorrectly understanding what "lag compensation" was, I still feel that its not just lag but lag compensation + shitty hit detection is to blame for what is happeneing though.

dlundebjerg28 wrote:

You running around a corner and getting insta-killed has to do with lag, not lag compensation. Doesn't matter if hes a brand new player, or has had the game since releast, if you're lagging behind him hes gonna have the jump on you. Lag compensation doesn't have to do with a lot of the bs deaths you and other players blame it for. I apologize if you think I'm attacking you personally, becasuse I'm not, I'm attacking the general consensus that lag compesnation is such an issue. This has been a feature in ever CoD game, and the fact its now getting the blame for deaths is wrong. I'm not disagreeing that the connections in this game are screwy, but it has little to do with the lag compensation. Lag compensation is a scape goat for poor matchmaking. If anything needs to be tweaked, it needs to be that. I get thrown into lobbies with British players a lot, one of us is gonna be lagging behind the other, no way an overseas connection is gonna be good. I'm not saying you are whining for no reason, I'm simply saying you are blaming the wrong thing. Instead of tweaking lag compensation, tweak matchmaking.

I agree and disagree with you. Yes compensation has been in all titles but they changed a value trying to not give the host an advantage and I believe this value is off. The value is so off that you cannot determine if you are host anymore at the begining. Before the only one with 4 bars was host. Now no one has 4 bars at the start, how does the host not have 4 bars to himself? It is the system trying to equal everything out but it is off.

Can they eliminate lag? No.

Is matchmaking an issue? ABSOFNLUTELY!!!
          Can they adjust that value so that the timing isn't 1-2 seconds off? Yes.

BTW compensation does affect head to head. How can it not? If I started shooting before the other player but with the offset he is already shooting on his screen and the system gives him the hits before me. Even though on my screen I am behind him.

yes i have perfect internet and cant stand the fact that lag gets me killed at least 5 times a match...I DONT CARE if its lag or lag compensation but it needs to be fixed i NEVER had this issue in previous call of duty titles!!i will get in a gunfight and drop behing a barel or run around a corner only to have already been killed a second before by a kid with horrible aim because i never even really hit him!! i thought it was a reaction issue because i would get put down by a kid with a "light machinegun" he pulled up FASTER than i did my sub...but it was in all reality i am behind real time in the game!! how is it fair that because his internet is garbage the game is paced from his connection?? or however it works* not here to argue specifics on how it happens..JUST WHY!!so he is playing in real time and im a second or so behind...doesnt sound like much but in a game where fractions of a second determine the outcome of a battle i think its a huge issue..one of the worst mw3 offenders!!not to mention the "type 95" had hipspread reduced so im getting 1trigger pull hipshot from 50 feet away you then have to deam with akimbo fmg9's that seem to get more accurate and less recoil when together...with my primary getting the jump on an enemy i am regularly gunned down by some brat with akimbo op fmg9's...not saying i cant die but im hardly your average player...some may claim they are but really its just their opnion..i however base mine off of proven stats so there is not much to argue with..my k/d is actually went down quite a bit due specifically to the lag and (type95 and akimbo fmg9)..makes me just want to go jump in a match right now!! mw2 nd especially cod4 i could play for 8 hrs straight..mw3 i have to take in hour doses its sad!never posted in a forum in my life and i have to resort to hoping these ppl read this and care!

yes i have perfect internet and cant stand the fact that lag gets me killed at least 5 times a match...I DONT CARE if its lag or lag compensation but it needs to be fixed i NEVER had this issue in previous call of duty titles!!i will get in a gunfight and drop behing a barel or run around a corner only to have already been killed a second before by a kid with horrible aim because i never even really hit him!! i thought it was a reaction issue because i would get put down by a kid with a "light machinegun" he pulled up FASTER than i did my sub...but it was in all reality i am behind real time in the game!! how is it fair that because his internet is garbage the game is paced from his connection?? or however it works* not here to argue specifics on how it happens..JUST WHY!!so he is playing in real time and im a second or so behind...doesnt sound like much but in a game where fractions of a second determine the outcome of a battle i think its a huge issue..one of the worst mw3 offenders!!not to mention the "type 95" had hipspread reduced so im getting 1trigger pull hipshot from 50 feet away you then have to deam with akimbo fmg9's that seem to get more accurate and less recoil when together...with my primary getting the jump on an enemy i am regularly gunned down by some brat with akimbo op fmg9's...not saying i cant die but im hardly your average player...some may claim they are but really its just their opnion..i however base mine off of proven stats so there is not much to argue with..my k/d is actually went down quite a bit due specifically to the lag and (type95 and akimbo fmg9)..makes me just want to go jump in a match right now!! mw2 nd especially cod4 i could play for 8 hrs straight..mw3 i have to take in hour doses its sad!never posted in a forum in my life and i have to resort to hoping these ppl read this and care!

I am about 20 minutes north of Dallas Texas so I thought it would be interesting to see just how I ping a host that is not "local".  Here are the first 3 that I tried:

http://www.pingtest.net/result/53329870.png - Saint Cloud, MN - 61ms

http://www.pingtest.net/result/53329916.png - Montreal QC - 72ms

http://www.pingtest.net/result/53329994.png - Lynnwood WA - 89ms

I can ping a server 1,700 miles away in under 100ms.  I SHOULD be able to play a game without lagging like crazy.

Jackal235

Lately, because of the lag or the compensation, some of the games became just completaly silly. It's so common, to be shot by enemy, who just came out of a corner, stops in front of me, aims, shoots and kills.

It wouldn't be nothing wrong with it, it's just, from my point of view, the guy is not even there. On my screen, he is still behind that corner not able to make a shot. Only kill cam reveals, that he is running the game 2seconds ahead of me !!!

Let me also tell you that: this  happens in 50 ms lobby. My connection is 25/1.5 Mbs with 15ms ping test.

Now, how the heck you can experience 2000ms lag in 50ms lobby?

How does the compensation code make it possible? I've seen lag in previous games but it was not even close to what it is in MW3.

markocc

dlundebjerg28 wrote:

You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.