25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2012 8:18 AM by cheaterssuk RSS

Open letter to IW, 3Arch ++

Dear 402, JD2020, Vahn, 3Arch, IW and Activision

WARNING: THESE ARE MY OPINIONS, AND IT WILL LARGELY BE ME RAMBLING ON ABOUT MY TROUBLES, MY NOSTALGIA AND MY FRUSTRATION.

I'd like to share my story from COD4 up to MW3 on PC, the troubles, the hardships, and the beautiful moments.

I was 13 when COD4 was released, and I bought it when I was 14. I am by no means the traditional, older PC gamer, coming from the CS community, but rather a consolegamer moving into new grounds, as the KB+M was something I felt more comfortable with, and I only owned a PS2 at the time. In the beginning I had not heard of promod, configs and patches, so I played happily on 1.0, usually on the chaotic 64-man servers. I boasted a red tiger M4, my pride and joy, but my most common tactic was to sit quietly in some hidden room and snipe across the map. Soon I learned that the fun, skill and excitement was more prevalent on smaller servers, so I focused on "32 players or less". I updated to 1.7, my tactics changed, I played faster, usually with a 74u, or as a more mobile sniper. No quickscopes yet, though. My main point however, is that I had fun. Sure, I faced the dreaded 3X nades and the terrible martyrdom, but they did not ruin my joy. I played for hours, barely ever raging at all.

WaW launched, but I did not buy it at the time. I had plenty of fun and enjoyment in COD4, and WW2 felt like a step backwards. I have had the chance to play it at a later time, and it's all "tactical" crouch servers (I mean, wtf?) and easy-xp-servers now...

As they announced MW2, my excitement grew and grew. A continuation of my favorite game? Surely, this will be awesome! I was wrong. The game launched, and I quickly started missing my dedicated servers. Don't get me wrong, MW2 was a lot of fun, I have almost 700 hours played, according to Steam, but it was nowhere near my dear COD4. The lobby system made it easy to play in parties, and some weapons led to amazingly fun experiences with my friends. I picked up quickscoping, like so many others, and I had fun. The maps, both colors and layout, were great and the game was extremely addicting. However, the connection uses were EVERYWHERE, tubes could be heard in every game, corner-campers flourished, hackers were everywhere and imbalanced weapons ruled. G18 akimbo. Who thought of that? ACR with no recoil? The UMP being the best choice for long range engagements? And deathstreaks.. WTF? In February, four months after release, I briefly returned to COD4, quick scoping like a boss, before Bad Company 2 ruled my world for a month or two. I then played a mix of MW2, COD4 and BC2, all dependent on what my friends played. MW2 ruled for parties of 6, COD4 and BC2 for everything else. Classic FFA sniper lobbies with my friends was always fun, but the online experience was not really enjoyable anymore. Also, as a PC game without dedicated servers, the playerbase quickly diminished and made finding games hard. MW2 frustrated me. A lot.

As Black Ops was announced, the hype grew in me again. Supposedly the game to fix MW2s mistakes, it did so much wrong. Dedicated servers? HA, you have to pay for them. Gun-balance? HA, FAMAS and the 74u send their regards. No more frustration? Second chance, guns didn't "feel right" (I'm looking at you L96), camping galore (Pride rock, wood in Fire Range, every single window on every single map), and hackers. Again. VAC just doesn't cut it for these games. And the maps were horrible. Bland, they played badly and simply felt boring. The game did not offer the sheer enjoyment of MW2 (yes, MW2) or the simple, awesome fun of COD4. In January I abandoned BO, as the last of my friends. We tried to go back to MW2, but there were no games to be found, so BC2 and COD4 became our haven. Some of my friends even hopped on their consoles, just to play MW2 again. For the fun of it. I started playing promod on COD4, I started playing with configs, and I started learning BC2 as well as I knew COD4. I had fun again. To this day, COD4 promod is the only game that can't make me rage when I die. The Galactic Warfare mod was launched, and I was ecstatic. It's a game of it's own. Sadly, the playerbase is dying...  I played BF3 from release, then MW3 came along...

Back to the gun-to-gun action? Dedicated servers? Balance, fun and skill? Sounds great. We all know how that went. Yet another set of broken promises, back to the locked config, 65 FOV, no "proper" dedicated servers.. Gun-to-gun action? Then ******* drop the Ospreys, juggernaughts, and who the **** added FMG9s with AKIMBO? You didn't learn anything from MW2? The FMG9s have an even longer range! And they kill helis AND juggernaughts faster than anything else. Long story short, I dropped MW3 and went back to BF3 in the middle of December. Notice a trend? One month less every time.

I find myself to be a part of the growing PC-elitist community. I don't want to play FPS games on a console. I don't want people I don't know screaming down their mics, I don't want to be locked at 60 FPS, I don't want to use a controller. I want games that require skill to excel, but still are fun. Battlefield 3 is pretty close, but it's kind of a different category. CS, CS:S an TF2 are all extremely skill-based, but I just can't get into them. They don't give the same enjoyment as COD4.

I'm also one of those who prefer to stick with the traditional weapons. AK47 is the weapon of choice for assault in COD4, but the only "newer" AK that is anywhere close to packing it's punch is the one from MW2. I want to use the deagle, but no game has a deagle anywhere close to the one from COD4.

I also prefer to choose the weapons that are not overpowered. I don't like using the FMG9s for easy kills, I want to use pistols. The gameplay in MW3 however, forces you to run MPs to compete. In MW2 I would usually run a single pistol with a tac knife, but I could not compete with the SPAS. In Black Ops there were NO good secondaries. None. I like to run normal weapons, not the one that requires no skill. I didn't run the ACR in MW2, I chose the TAR or the AK. I was forced to run UMP for rushing, as it was the only viable option. I did not like to use the FAMAS, I preferred the Commando, but the Commando was unavailable for most of the prestige.

The levelling aspect of the game has always been addicting to me, and probably most of us, and adding overpowered weapons that are available from the early levels makes it worse. FMG9 from lvl 1. Now people have them available for 80 more lvls, then they prestige and have them available again... FAMAS from lvl 14, UMP from lvl 1, the list goes on. In COD4 you levelled up, and you didn't acquire the deagle until lvl 40-something. I usually play my best in the first days of a new game. No one knows the maps, no one knows the guns, it's a fair fight, and I excel. As the game gets older, I do steadily worse. People learn crazy class combinations they've seen online, and my honor and pride takes a blow. How can I compete? The community is also a big reason for CODs demise on PC. MW2 made it more accessible, and the newbies brought annoying, frustrating setups with them. This increased with every new game.

In short, I want, like so many others, a new COD4. e-Sports friendly, simple maps, moddable, configurable, balanced and fun. No one wants deathstreaks, I can live with the classic 3-5-7 killstreaks, and I simply want perks that don't do stupid ****. I don't care if I can't prestige, I just want a secondary pistol with power, assault rifles with recoil and SMGs that don't work across the map. I'm not asking for realism, I'm asking for simple balance. Right now, there is no reason not to use an SMG in MW2 or MW3. Effective at all ranges. Vahn's recent tweets are looking good in the case of gun balance, but knowing them, they'll add something else.  I want dedicated servers, that are ranked, and easily controlled and administrated. I'll even settle for a map-pack for COD4. Free of course.

What do you think? Do you have a similar story?

PS. When it comes to balance, my ideas are:

- Keep weapon modifying perks in one group.
- Movement or visibility type perks in another group (Ninja, Marathon, Ghost, LW)
- "Novelty" perks in third group (Scavenger, Overkill, etc)

- No need for all the extensive equipment.
- C4, Claymores, Frag, Semtex, RPG in "Lethal"
- Stun, Flash, TK in "Tactical"

- Make helis die from bullets.

- Weapons need more balance (duh)
- Only pistol secondaries, no akimbo.
- No akimbo on anything.
- Make the differences in weapons more... balanced? Change modifiers, so that each weapon has two pros and two cons or something. Low recoil and high fire rate don't go together though...
- Give us a reason to stay with the primary, but still have a viable secondary weapon. COD4 did this right, MW2 and MW3 have too powerful secondaries, BO the opposite.
- Bring back the classics. A powerful AK47 with recoil, the M40, etc.

Extra content on PC will probably never be free again, but beef it up. 15$ is a lot of money for what we have been seeing. Weapons can be added without messing up balance, just stick to the "two pros, two cons" formula or similar... I don't care much for new gamemodes, but I'll admit Kill Confirmed is nice.

For connection and servers, go back to the good old dedicated servers, but add a party function. Let us join each other, and then join the same server together, or at least add a "join game" option for players in dedicated servers.

This was my semi-constructive rant, please don't turn this into a flame war.

• Re: Open letter to IW, 3Arch ++
    [pde]paulkersey

Sledgehammer Games, are you guys reading this? You are now the makers of the Modern Warfare series. Although I don't see it as ever happening since we've been lied to for 3 years straight, at least try and make this guys wish a reality. We know there is no IW anymore. This will be your chance to make it all right again. Don't make this long post he did above for nothing.

jibmoney

BUMP

poison_pawn

+1

kawz

+1

I've gone back to WaW and CoD4 when I need a Bf3 break.  The games released after those don't cut it and aren't worth my time.

Thanks for the support guys! I just felt like a vent was needed, and I'm glad others share my view! : )

+1, hope they read this

+1, This was a damn good read. I have a similar story to this and understand where you're coming from on basically every one of your points.

I also agree with the guy who called out Sledgehammer. It's up to you guys. You're a damn fine studio, you don't have to prove that. All we ask is that you at least try and make it worth the $60 each of us pays for the game.

Short easy answer. Go play BF3, hardcore, TDM. This is the first time I ever played the BF series and it totally blows COD away. Gone...... And not coming back......

[EW]TheO'ReilyFactor

There's not a doubt in my mind that some of the devs really want to make this game live up to its full potential. The problem is the fact the majority of the devs play the game on xbox, and favor the console platform. Microsoft is buying them there yahts so why not favor MS's console.

Here's the HUGE PROBLEM, the majority of the devs are Xbox people. They design games on the console and are more aware of the console community and how the game is played on those platforms. There's a huge difference between them though.

*They don't understand how the PC community thrives on clans, real clans, not 5 random guys you found online. And clan's need dedicated servers to survive. RANKED dedicated servers to survive. I want to play the whole game, not just part of it.

*They see the cheating problem and think that its a problem with the community and not with their anti-cheat "solution". They don't see how the community can take care of the cheaters by banning them on their server. Cheating isn't the huge problem on CoD4, UO, or BO that is on MW2/MW3. CHEATING IS HUGE on this game. ESPECIALLY AIMBOTS non obvious ones notsomuch. inb4peoplewholiketosaythataimbotisjustaskilledplayer. I run a CoD4 server with PB off and cheating isn't that big of a problem. When it does happen its easily taken care of.

*They see that the game has been pirated over 3 million times on PC, but only purchased 970,000 times. They think that PC doesn't have a big enough community and that the playerbase is dying. Skyrim, SWTOR, BF3 all prove this wrong. They need to see that this isn't a community issue, its a SUPPORT issue. ITS YOUR FAULT the game doesn't sell well on PC. and YOU can fix it.

*Black Ops and CoD4 have both outsold this game on PC. CoD4 was the ideal PC FPS and Black Ops is at least an improvement compared to this game. (which is sad because improvements normally happen after the fact) Give our community the tools it needs, Mod Tools, Ranked Servers, and Radiant, and we will embrace you for years. United Offensive is nearly 8 years old and it still has a sizable community. My clan still runs a server for it and I still make mods for it.

THIS IS HOW SLEDGEHAMMER/IW, TREYARCH, BEACHHEAD, ++, FIXES IT. You give this game the support it needs. You update the game, make the game support ranked servers natively. If hackers can mod the servers to be ranked with a forced script injector then you should be able to do it relatively easy. You give us console support. unlock our config and CVARS. Give us cmds like /demo and /draw_lagometer. Things like lean can be added later, mod tools and radiant can come later as well. The fact that 3 million copies were pirated but only 1 were bought shows me that people want to play the game but don't want to spend $60 on a game thrown under the bus. You support the communtiy and I garentee you gets alot of those sales back. You throw it under the bus and there it stays. We'll move on.

A dev will never read nor respond to this. I've made at least  10-15 post like this plus sent emails to 402's personal private IW email and have never gotten any kind of response. To them anyone who posts here is a "vocal minority", they're perfect and the game is absolutly perfect, and that we're to small of a community to matter. My heart goes out to the few devs that know what kind of game this could have been but isn't because the PC sku was designed by a the majority of dumbasses instead of the few who actually know how to cater to this community. I am sad

poison_pawn

[EW]TheO\'ReilyFactor wrote:

There's not a doubt in my mind that some of the devs really want to make this game live up to its full potential. The problem is the fact the majority of the devs play the game on xbox, and favor the console platform. Microsoft is buying them there yahts so why not favor MS's console.

Here's the HUGE PROBLEM, the majority of the devs are Xbox people. They design games on the console and are more aware of the console community and how the game is played on those platforms. There's a huge difference between them though.

*They don't understand how the PC community thrives on clans, real clans, not 5 random guys you found online. And clan's need dedicated servers to survive. RANKED dedicated servers to survive. I want to play the whole game, not just part of it.

*They see the cheating problem and think that its a problem with the community and not with their anti-cheat "solution". They don't see how the community can take care of the cheaters by banning them on their server. Cheating isn't the huge problem on CoD4, UO, or BO that is on MW2/MW3. CHEATING IS HUGE on this game. ESPECIALLY AIMBOTS non obvious ones notsomuch. inb4peoplewholiketosaythataimbotisjustaskilledplayer. I run a CoD4 server with PB off and cheating isn't that big of a problem. When it does happen its easily taken care of.

*They see that the game has been pirated over 3 million times on PC, but only purchased 970,000 times. They think that PC doesn't have a big enough community and that the playerbase is dying. Skyrim, SWTOR, BF3 all prove this wrong. They need to see that this isn't a community issue, its a SUPPORT issue. ITS YOUR FAULT the game doesn't sell well on PC. and YOU can fix it.

*Black Ops and CoD4 have both outsold this game on PC. CoD4 was the ideal PC FPS and Black Ops is at least an improvement compared to this game. (which is sad because improvements normally happen after the fact) Give our community the tools it needs, Mod Tools, Ranked Servers, and Radiant, and we will embrace you for years. United Offensive is nearly 8 years old and it still has a sizable community. My clan still runs a server for it and I still make mods for it.

THIS IS HOW SLEDGEHAMMER/IW, TREYARCH, BEACHHEAD, ++, FIXES IT. You give this game the support it needs. You update the game, make the game support ranked servers natively. If hackers can mod the servers to be ranked with a forced script injector then you should be able to do it relatively easy. You give us console support. unlock our config and CVARS. Give us cmds like /demo and /draw_lagometer. Things like lean can be added later, mod tools and radiant can come later as well. The fact that 3 million copies were pirated but only 1 were bought shows me that people want to play the game but don't want to spend $60 on a game thrown under the bus. You support the communtiy and I garentee you gets alot of those sales back. You throw it under the bus and there it stays. We'll move on.

A dev will never read nor respond to this. I've made at least  10-15 post like this plus sent emails to 402's personal private IW email and have never gotten any kind of response. To them anyone who posts here is a "vocal minority", they're perfect and the game is absolutly perfect, and that we're to small of a community to matter. My heart goes out to the few devs that know what kind of game this could have been but isn't because the PC sku was designed by a the majority of dumbasses instead of the few who actually know how to cater to this community. I am sad

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

@ _FK_: Yeah, I love BF3, although I prefer the objective-based gamemodes. I fluxuate back and forth between BF3 and COD4 to satisfy my FPS needs

@ Factor:

Glad to see you agree, and I love some of the points you are making! After COD4, consoles were booming. The latest generation was getting cheaper, and many people bought COD for their new XBOX. Consoles are cheap (not for value, though), and it's easier to "acquire" for younger gamers. The current market for COD is the console market, but the PC community is not dieing at all! It's in fact growing, and they don't realize it. I think the way COD is made these day, with the "action-packed", high-tech, amazingly Michael Bay-ish games, really speaks to the console gamers. While this kind of game can be fun, when balanced, it's not what we want. To them, adding dedicated servers is like an extra feature. To us, unranked, unmanageable dedicated servers, or even P2P is like a step back, a feature that is removed. Also, support =/= map packs...

The PC community is immensely different from the console community. While there might be trash-talking on both platforms, we focus more on the communities within the servers, the modding, etc. MW2, BO and MW3 are not built for a PC gamer, they're built for consoles. Not even giving BO anything above 18 players was ridiculous. Anything like COD4, COD2 etc. is great on PC. Simple as that.

Hacking is, as you say, a major problem. VAC bans several people at once, some time after they have been detected. Although it works, sometimes, I'd much rather see players kicked instantly with PB or by admins. I don't want to play a game with a hacker, I wan't him gone. Knowing that he MIGHT be banned later does not help me. When console games are infected, the players "cry" online and demand their game fixed. It is done within hours. I remember the "slo-mo" lobbies on MW3, and those were patched within 12 hours. Hackers on PC are ignored.

I've realized now that COD is probably dead on PC. At least when it comes to new games. The way to go would actually be a separate COD, just for PC, but maybe the same campaign. However, it's never going to happen.

OMG. Stop your crying! lol j/k.

COD has changed.  Everything is fast paced and closed quarters, Expect players to be geared for it with very powerful up close & personal weapons! Maybe cod is no longer for you.

The only real problem i see with this game is the cheating. Akimbo i can take down with almost any smg with rapid fire and steady aim which is another decent set up for up close & personal combat. Call it spray, call it what you like, It's the way close combat is done.

Yeah, I know i'm not keeping up with the times when it comes to COD, but that's kind of my point. The console community has taken the game in the wrong direction for me, and I agree, COD might no longer be for me

I would like, as you can read, a COD that ACTUALLY goes back to the roots, but, as you said, it's not going to happen. Luckily, I'm a gamer, not a COD-player. I play other games as well, and I get my share of fun

As for the akimbos, they are overpowered. Simple fact. So is the SMG - rapid fire - steady aim combo.. A combination of the two makes you a beast at all ranges, as the SMGs work everywhere, and the akimbos are a close up powerhouse that works at medium/long ranges as well. If you've seen some of WoodysGamertag's videos you would also know that they are the best choice for taking down helis and juggs. It just doesn't make sense. While it is still possible to kill them, facing a 1000 RPM monster x2 kinda ruins the game. People spawn in, instantly switching to their secondary. It's like the tubes from MW2, they spawn in never use their primary.

EDIT: I would like to add that this is more of a "rant" towards new COD games in general, not specifically MW3

I'm not saying it's all for the better,  I just happen to like playing small maps with enemies around every corner, I can appreciate where your coming from though,  I do agree that this rank up weapon dispensery that is built into the game where we can create ourselves into super humans has gotten a bit out of hand. (A guy who can sprint endlessly with akimbo  is crazy) But what's the alternative, Go back to the old days & have a choice of 6 weapons?

I see the fun in small, "organized chaos", and hectic maps, but the gun balance and general features just ruin it for me I have to admit that PROMOD basically has 6 weapons as well, but at least you have the choice of more weapons. A hybrid would be great, of course, as long as classic PC features are mantained, and the super human part is tuned down

poison_pawn

2Sloppy wrote:

I'm not saying it's all for the better,  I just happen to like playing small maps with enemies around every corner, I can appreciate where your coming from though,  I do agree that this rank up weapon dispensery that is built into the game where we can create ourselves into super humans has gotten a bit out of hand. (A guy who can sprint endlessly with akimbo  is crazy) But what's the alternative, Go back to the old days & have a choice of 6 weapons?

you're missing the point i think:

the game PLAYS as well as any COD tittle (there will always be dissagreements about this gaming style or that, this choice of weapons or another; in any game.

weaponds balance? (hell who remembers, iether hating, or loving the ppsh?) there will always be complaints about bunny hopping, tubing, runer'gunners, proners, kill streaks, prks etc...but that's not the real issue.

the real issue is with the design of the PC multi-payer platform:

1. being tied down to steam. (I could make statment's after each of these points but I don't want to spend the time)

2. a broken match making system, that can not be fixed, that should not exist.

3. no useful realtime anti-cheat program

4. no ranked dedicated servers

5. no useful server side control.

6. no useful client side control

7. no room to improve I.E. mod tools, custom maps etc...

8. no dev support

=NO SALE

over all, we are being unnecessarily, tied down to a console port.

and that is the point

Good old days are really nostalgic.. but what can we do?

We can only cherish them before we lose it

Well you locked in to 60 FPS. That's a hardware limitation. Akimbo anything is just stupid, but the worst thing now is the Lag Compensation. That is insane. I am lucky if I even see who is killing me, or one bullet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJOpFCCnv0E

I played one game in BO and never went back. There was a hacker in the first game I played. So far MW3 is the worst game I have ever owned. If it weren't for my friends and our ability to strategize, I wouldn't be playing MW3. We are going back to MW2. My computer won't run puckbuster, so COD 4 is out for me.