19 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2012 12:43 PM by shankupotomus RSS

Head Glitching

I still can't figure out why you can die from just a head popping over a box.   Is this a lazy programming thing, or can it be fixed?  I feel as though, if you can be shot by someone you should be able to see their shoulders, head, and gun.  I don't think it too far fetched to assume a gun should be visible if you are able to get shot. 

• Re: Head Glitching

Once you learn where they head glitch you can learn to take of their head.

It is slightly annoying.

Man this very thing has bothered me since the first CoD.  It is rather annoying, just doesn't make sense. 

Let me explain 'head glitching'...

First off, it is not a glitch, and you sound very misguided by calling it a glitch. It is simply using cover. And let me tell you, the developers of the game did not make obstacles perfectly just below head height by accident.

Secondly, if you complain about someone using cover -or 'head glitching' as you like to call it-, then you probably just need to work on your aim. My motto is "If you don't got headshots, you don't got s$$$".

Thirdly, could you tell me where you put a gun when you aim down the sights? Level with your eyes, right? Your eyes are on your head, right?

I can beat them, as I know that I have the same advantage.  I just think it is ridiculous that you don't see a gun or hands. 

Edngravy wrote:

Let me explain 'head glitching'...

First off, it is not a glitch, and you sound very misguided by calling it a glitch. It is simply using cover. And let me tell you, the developers of the game did not make obstacles perfectly just below head height by accident.

Secondly, if you complain about someone using cover -or 'head glitching' as you like to call it-, then you probably just need to work on your aim. My motto is "If you don't got headshots, you don't got s$$$".

Thirdly, could you tell me where you put a gun when you aim down the sights? Level with your eyes, right? Your eyes are on your head, right?

If someone were to shoot you from cover, would you not see a head, a gun, and hands?  I have been shot bullets through eyes before, but that was my wife doing the shooting.

Edngravy try aiming a rifle over a wall without showing your shoulders......difficult?????????

Have you had people shoot you with their feet yet? It's just as bad. You can be in the 2nd floor of the building on Lockdown and get shot by feet downstairs. You can also be shot by feet poking around corners.

Head glitching is really bad in this game, it almost seems like the mapmakers were trying to cater to the head glitchers in this game. Every map has tons of spots to head glitch.

You call it head glitching and i call it taking good cover. I figure it like this. Both teams are gonna head glitch so i just make sure my team do it first especially on lockdown in that hallway

bo2000

Headglitching is just ridiculous! I usually aim for center of mass where it's likely to get hitmarkers even though lag. When they stand behind a impenetratable object I can't get a shot but their shots get through without a problem. No logic to that! Even if I get lucky and get a hitmarker on the only exposed part, which should be the head, I rarely make the kill and it even doesn't count as headshut which is beyond my understanding.

if they are "head glitching" behind penetrable surfaces try using the impact proficiency.

JetEye

Everyone is right... it is a glitch... it's also taking cover.  People aren't intentionally exploiting a glitch. It's just how the game is programmed. 

Edngray, you're misguided, since you obviously don't know what a glitch is.  Not every glitch is gamebreaking.  Also when you aim down sights, you are AIMING DOWN SIGHTS, not aiming down the barrel.  If you using a sniper rifle, the scope is much higher than the barrel, so while your eyes are visible from behind cover the barrel and rest of the gun is tucked down below cover.  How can a rilfe that's tucked behind cover shoot someone?  It can't.  That's the glitch.  Duh!

Head glitching is one of the most annoying things about this game.  People literally shoot bullets out of their eyeballs.  People get WAY too much cover with too little risk.  Cover is OP and needs to be nerfed... LOL.

JetEye

double post, sorry.

starbuckfrack

Another nerdy post. Conjecture from here to the line.

The hit detection when you are moving is usually only the body and the legs. This is just used for running into objects due. Too much hit detection can slow the frame rates of thegame way down.

So arms or gun hit detection isnt really used for movement. And a sad thing is boxes have to have hit detection exact so you cant change that.

But the hit detection on one arm might be added if you use the knife, or just a "dot" where the knife may be used when you stab.

But you got all this other bullet hit detection, blahblahblah. running atthe same time too.

Its kind of like when the SR71 flew overhead. No hit detection was used for that object because they wanted it so you couldnt shoot it down, so hit detection was a waste on that plane.

-----------------------------------------

I just did a test in private match by myself on Dome.

I tried with both yellow forklifts going ADS.

What I did was walk up standing next to the yellow upright forklift and aimed out right between the silver compressor tank and the cockpit and shot ADS.

I then went to the one knocked over and kneeled ADS.

Both times after playback I saw from the opposite side the veiw a player would see if standing and prone at eye level with myself.

BOTH had the gun brought up and level with his eye and his arms raised up properly.

so I could see his head, arms shoulders and gun properly as if he were holding the gun to his eyes like a normal shooter.

Now I didnt test a sniper rifle or a tripod weapon. that may require a full rest on the object.

shankupotomus

Since I didnt see any problem yet can you give me a map, and a weapon, a position,and a "box" (or whatever) to check it out on ?

I figure it would be faster if I tested it with my own private match to avoid any lag in tests.

And if you dont know a specific "box" please give me an idea of about where to look on the map.

And are you talking about only seeing the top 2/3rds of the gun and not the underbarrel for example ? Or are you talkin about the whole gun.

I gotta clean up my birthday party mess. Beer cans everywhere

PS I think they got hit detection on objects done pretty well. You can even move along the bottom of the flipped forlift and the tires will push you further away.

guess you could try the inside / behind the counter head glitch in arkaden next to the escalators in the main room looking into the backroom with the stairs leading to the loading bay, when someones kneeling in that tiny gap looking right at the door you have no chance

I refer to most boxes or rocks.  It has been in every COD game that I have played.  It is like this,  A guy is behind the object taking cover.  In my view, all I see is a the peanut top of his head.  Yet, he is able to shoot me.  Everyone has this advantage if you use cover.  I just don't get why you cant see, at least the business end of the gun.  I get it is a game, but if a perso were to shoot you from behind a box in real life, you would see the barrel, a head and possibly some shoulder of the shooter.  It is just a question I have wondered for some time now.   

If you can think back to cod4 on bog.  If you were behind the tin fence looking towards the bus, there was a shipping container with barrels behind it.   People would hop on the barrel and snipe over the box.  All you could see was a forehead up view of the guy.  I would stand on the post of the fence and pop that top and laugh with a friend.  We even made up a song for it.  Immature I know, but the whole situation had me wondering, why?  It has never been fixed and I assume it is some drawn out programming thing.

The real problem isn't really headglitching.. it's the fact that there is:

a) Too many places to headglitch (can't go into any part of the map without the risk of there being someone barely poking out behind cover on every single hallway, line of sight, etc.)

b) Lag issues where character models do not update as quickly as the more significant factors. I'm sure everyone has seen the glitch where you're getting shot before you see a guy come around a corner, and this is the same glitch as being shot by someone's forehead. Character models of other players do not update as quickly as bullets/gunshots and whatnot. So if someone runs around a corner and shoots you, you are going to see the bullets before the character is actually where he was when he started shooting you... similarly, if someone is behind cover and they ADS and start shooting you, the bullets will come out on your screen before his weapon is raised.