39 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2012 1:34 AM by bo2000 RSS

New target for banhammer - IW listen up

bo2000

Every now and then, when someone posts his recipe for fixing lag issues with torrents, MTUs or other ways to bottleneck their networks in order to get that advantage over legit players who pay good money for a decent internet connections I want to go out and backslap somebody. Gaming is all about speed and high traffic and ISPs providing faster connections every year to keep up with that. Now I understand that lag-compensation is only good for marginal differences in players lobbies and if put in extreme conditions does strange and annoying things often described as WTF!!!

 

Now I know IW put this into the game and I assume they put it in there for a reason but I am sure that ABUSING it to get an advantage over legit players is as worse as any kind of cheating, glitching or hacking. Not only do these individuals create a higher difference in pings but also they avoid being host and condemn other players to bear this BS. Therefore I demand investigations in this issue, which shouldn't be so hard at all since IWs stats certainly contain upstream bandwidth of all players. If someones upstream shows a large delta from time to time this should be punished as severe as any other attempt to gain an unrightfull advantage.

 

People who promote tempering their network speed in this forum should get insta-banned.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
    esmorgue

    No they need to fix the problems they caused by not using the same system in MW2 or quit making games.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    i disagree...

     

    people are only doing such things because of the developers decisions to implement such a system... if their system worked, nobody would bother....

     

    you cant fake a solid fat connection... thats why for years, people have tried to get the best possible connection they could, because the game will play better... its the only way the p2p system can work... The current system rewards players for saturating or limiting bandwidth (so it seems anyways)... that can only lead to these problems.. i see no other way around it... you cant allow users to influence the results of the game OR THEY WILL!!!

     

    banning in general is completely retarded in my eyes... if they made the game properly, there would be no need to ban anyone!

     

    limiting bandwidth is not cheating... you CANT be banned for it period... but in all proper games, limiting bandwidth or doing anything negitive to your connection only provides negative results...

     

    its solely the developers fault for breeding this situation..

    • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
      bo2000

      your argumentation sounds like any prestige token glitch excuse. It's in the game, so why don't I use it to my advantage? BECAUSE IT IS WRONG AND YOU RUIN OTHER PLAYERS EXPERIENCE!!! And it is a shame that you admit it and even promote it as a solution. Your accound should be suspendended immediatelly just to make an example. It does not work for you but puts other players at disadvantage and that's a big difference. How could someone counter this? Seed one torrent more? Add some damage to his weapon? You see where this is heading? But as long as you have fun the game is fine, right?

      • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
        esmorgue

        So someone having a crap connection and the developers compensating them for that is fine?

      • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

        bo2000 wrote:

         

        your argumentation sounds like any prestige token glitch excuse. It's in the game, so why don't I use it to my advantage? BECAUSE IT IS WRONG AND YOU RUIN OTHER PLAYERS EXPERIENCE!!! And it is a shame that you admit it and even promote it as a solution. Your accound should be suspendended immediatelly just to make an example. It does not work for you but puts other players at disadvantage and that's a big difference. How could someone counter this? Seed one torrent more? Add some damage to his weapon? You see where this is heading? But as long as you have fun the game is fine, right?

        no... its not in the game.... i am perfectly within my rights to limit my bandwidth... and quite frankly, you dont have a clue what you are talking about...

         

        if i limit my upload bandwidth on my router, that has ZERO effect on you or anyone else... just like adjusting my MTU rate... it has nothing to do with your experience..

         

        the onyl thing i have done it prevent the game from selecting me as host as i dont have the available bandwidth to support it... so if im now not the host, my bandwidth isnt changing... it doesnt affect you and im not cheating the system...

         

        i never condoned people using torrents... and i agree that it causes problems and exacerbates the lag comp problems... but my point was they cant ban you for using your internet!! its not cheating and it is in NO WAY anything like the token glitch..

         

        its up to the developers to make sure you cant gain an advantage by altering your connection... if their system wasnt broken as ****, people wouldnt be looking for ways around it..

        • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
          bo2000

          by giving your console less bandwidth than possible you get advantage by not being chosen host and by being preferred over any other player faster than you by lag-comp. so yeah, you affect other players experience. If you perform bad and WHAM out of nowhere you perform good, someone else has to suffer unrightfully because you skill certainly grew by limiting your bandwidth, right?

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    Yeah, I'm going to downgrade my internet to the 28.8k dial-up connection.

     

    **** spending $120 for 250down/20up.

     

    Rofl.

    • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

      RYKINxx wrote:

       

      Yeah, I'm going to downgrade my internet to the 28.8k dial-up connection.

       

      **** spending $120 for 250down/20up.

       

      Rofl.

       

      i limited my upload to 512 to stop from pulling host in 90% of my games...anyone that would physically downgrade their package just for this game has some other issues altogether..lol

       

      but the point was... before mw3, if you wanted an advantage... you needed the fastest connection possible... you cant cheat it or bypass it... it was simple and it worked...

       

      but with the current system... they physically allow users to modify their experience.... i can download 20 torrents and my lag goes away!!! gee... wtf did they think people would do?

       

      so some guy with an amazing pipe is getting the slight advantage... so what? he/she is providing a solid lobby for everyone else...that connection cant be faked... but IW thought it was cool to implement a system that sees a laggy player and give them an advantage.. like nobody in the great COD community would ever do something like that on purpose...

       

      ******* idiots.... lol.... sorry but i have nothing but contempt for IW/SH...

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    You cant ban someone for not having excelent quality high speed internet at all times...

    bo2000,the bk who cried, banhammer!

    • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
      bo2000

      if only they could

      • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

        bo2000 wrote:

         

        if only they could

        thats the million dollar question... lol... i've said it before...

         

        they made 700 million on this (at last look).... this horrible excuse for a top tier game...

         

        but imagine if they dumped twice the cash at R&D... tested it through the roof and made the best FPS the world has ever seen..... who cares? all that time, effort and money for maybe a 10-15% increase in sales...if that...??

         

        people need to start demanding quality... when millions fork over their cash for pre-orders on a game that isnt even made yet, what incentive do these business' have to make better games??

         

        the answer is none... when the quality slides but the sales increase, they'd be stupid to change...

         

        ever hear the expression "if it aint broke, dont fix it"?

         

        700m in sales isnt broke.... thats a success in the business world... and thats what this is... they have learned that bullshitting people and pretending to patch things is enough to keep people coming back year after year...

        • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
          bo2000

          MW2s matchmaking wasn't broke, why they "fixed" this? Anyway, tempering your connection to get some fun out of it should and will eventually get you banned.

          • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
            nightpr0wler76

            Hard to prove if someone is tampereing with their connection, or the actual network is congested from outside reasons, some ISP's throttle their customers at certain times of the day due to congestion etc, could be power outages as well, so its not as easy to prove.

             

            WIth a token glitch, if someone has 50 of them, well there is your proof that the account did it.

          • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

            Bo, with the deepest respect, you chat rubbish.

             

            Its IW, not the damn CIA, they CAN NOT ban you for having a rubbish connection. or for downloading torrents and playing the game at the same time.

             

            Please stop talking like you know, because you don't.

             

            And stop with all this "ban them" nonsense. Quit moaning and play the broken game. Maybe then you will be better at it, and stop complaining about being beaten all the time.

            • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
              nightpr0wler76

              lagcity wrote:

               

              Bo, with the deepest respect, you chat rubbish.

               

              Its IW, not the damn CIA, they CAN NOT ban you for having a rubbish connection. or for downloading torrents and playing the game at the same time.

               

              Please stop talking like you know, because you don't.

               

              And stop with all this "ban them" nonsense. Quit moaning and play the broken game. Maybe then you will be better at it, and stop complaining about being beaten all the time.

               

              He is only making these spam threads because he doesnt like that people got reset for prestige token glitching...its a pathetic look at me thread.

          • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
            theatriks

            MW2 isn't the same game as MW3.

             

            MW2 didn't have Theater, or Elite. Of which I'm sure some adjustments needed to be made to accommodate them.

            • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

              theatriks wrote:

               

              MW2 isn't the same game as MW3.

               

              MW2 didn't have Theater, or Elite. Of which I'm sure some adjustments needed to be made to accommodate them.

              exactly... Remember all the lag issues with BO that we thought were bad (hindsight huh? i'd kill for it back) but Treyarch said it was all in our heads...

               

              then near the end of the games life cycle (sept-oct) it was revealed that they were testing Elite in the background the entire time... BO was used as an Elite beta test essentially and is soley responsible for the lag comp issues imo...

               

              and as for the OP... i dont think hes trolling, just misinformed...

               

              there is alot of talk around here about what we can do to "get around" the lag comp.. some of it is legit but some borders on unethical... for someone that doesnt know much about the subject, its easy to confuse the different methods...

               

              but my ultimate point was... its the job of the developers to take all of this into account... it cant be left to the player to manipulate...

               

              some people have bandwidth caps... some have more then one user online downloading god knows what.... some ISP's require a smaller MTU rate etc etc etc...

               

              none of that should affect the game... it never has in any other game... because the optimal settings gave the best results... the only way to get an advantage was to get a better internet connection or free up the one you have...

               

              they tried to account for this and balance it out... but unfortunately they were too stupid to realize people would catch on and start to fake their connections to gain a benefit..

            • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

              theatriks wrote:

               

              MW2 isn't the same game as MW3.

               

              MW2 didn't have Theater, or Elite. Of which I'm sure some adjustments needed to be made to accommodate them.

              Those are outside additions to the game. They have no effect on gameplay; which is what people talk about when the say that MW2 and MW3 are very similar.

              • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
                theatriks

                No one here knows anything about whether or not Elite or Theater do anything. Yes, that includes you, all mighty Cynic.

                 

                Merely suggesting that they could have something to do with it. Which you can neither confirm nor deny as well as I.

                • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

                  theatriks wrote:

                   

                  No one here knows anything about whether or not Elite or Theater do anything. Yes, that includes you, all mighty Cynic.

                   

                  Merely suggesting that they could have something to do with it. Which you can neither confirm nor deny as well as I.

                  You can't name one single thing Elite or the sub-par Theater does in-game. They are outside additions like I have stated twice. I can repeat if you request.

                   

                  Theater just records vids for you to use for bragging rights, proof of something, etc. Elite is for stat-tracking, clans, competitions, and so on. Oh look, I do know and so does everyone else!

                   

                  Actually, I change my mind. Elite does affect gameplay. My bad.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
    IEliteWalker

    I like to use my internet to its full potential thanks, If I want to watch a music video on Youtube while in a pre-game lobby I will.

     

    Look at that, I've got a split second advantage now. OH WELL.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    I have good internet, and I manage to pull host a lot, and I love playing onmy host because I don't have lag. I don't know if Lag Comp is hurting you, but i'm good with it because it doesn't affect me in the slightest.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up
    sgtGanGreen

    Dedicaded servers can fix all of this

    Invest 1% of earned money in to this and your and our problem is solved

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    The difference between MW3 and any other FPS I play on PC or 360 is this...

     

    When the girlfriend asks, "Is it alright if I download/stream something, or will it affect your game?" I respond with, "Absolutely! This is mufuggin MW3. Download away. Helps meh!"

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    The idea that downloading while playing helps you is false.  I know friends that have tried it and they end up on a 1 bar.

     

    Also changing MTU settings isn't bottlenecking your connection.

  • Re: New target for banhammer - IW listen up

    So my brother playing Xbl is taking away from my potential bandwidth, and by your logic I should be banned?  Your a joke kid go play the dam game.