26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2012 7:28 PM by zackyd665 RSS

Today, we are striking against US censorship

Off course mapmodnews.com is joining the largest online protest in history. 

Why? Watch this video http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa

The video above discusses the Senate version of the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). In the Senate the bill is called the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). SOPA has gotten more attention than PIPA because it was moving faster in the legislative process. But PIPA is just as dangerous, and now it is moving faster.

PIPA would give the government new powers to block Americans' access websites that corporations don't like. The bill lets corporations and the US government censor entire websites and cut sites off from advertising, payments and donations.

This legislation will stifle free speech and innovation, and even threaten popular web services like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.

The bill is scheduled for a test vote in the Senate on Jan. 24th: We need to act now to let US lawmakers know just how terrible it is.

So downloading the MW3 FoV changer isn't possible because of the BLACKOUT protest.

• Re: Today, we are striking against US censorship
    wierd worlds are these

I hope your action get's noticed and actually help's to make a change.

It just seem's pathetic what can be passed in to law these day's, it won't be long before putting music from Itunes is against the law unless you pay for it twice once for your pc and once for your Iphone, and then each extra device you want it on you will have to pay again.

These corperation's are getting to big and they should not be able to influence law.

rankismet

claireclaws wrote:

Off course mapmodnews.com is joining the largest online protest in history. 

Why? Watch this video http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa

The video above discusses the Senate version of the House's Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). In the Senate the bill is called the PROTECT IP Act (PIPA). SOPA has gotten more attention than PIPA because it was moving faster in the legislative process. But PIPA is just as dangerous, and now it is moving faster.

PIPA would give the government new powers to block Americans' access websites that corporations don't like. The bill lets corporations and the US government censor entire websites and cut sites off from advertising, payments and donations.

This legislation will stifle free speech and innovation, and even threaten popular web services like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook.

The bill is scheduled for a test vote in the Senate on Jan. 24th: We need to act now to let US lawmakers know just how terrible it is.

So downloading the MW3 FoV changer isn't possible because of the BLACKOUT protest.

Move this crap to off topic.

You haven't read the bills... and are regurgitating someone else's paranoid, ill-informed thoughts.

SOPA

PIPA

I fear the bill cause we already have an anti-piracy law called the dmca which is already enough.(it gets abused enough as is, we don't need another law that can be abused.)

rankismet

zackyd665 wrote:

I fear the bill cause we already have an anti-piracy law called the dmca which is already enough.

Have you read them?

rankismet wrote:

zackyd665 wrote:

I fear the bill cause we already have an anti-piracy law called the dmca which is already enough.

Have you read them?

Well obviously if he fears it. The bills aren't causing huge websites to protest for purrrty text aren't they?

rankismet

platinumb wrote:

rankismet wrote:

zackyd665 wrote:

Have you read them?

Well obviously if he fears it. The bills aren't causing huge websites to protest for purrrty text aren't they?

Sorry... but I doubt 5% of the people here have.

I have.

And the hyperbole surrounding them is off the charts wrong.

What hyperbole? Here is a video in-depth on the situation. The bill is basically saying that anything with infringment (even this website) is in the line of getting removed.

Try again.

rankismet

platinumb wrote:

What hyperbole? Here is a video in-depth on the situation. The bill is basically saying that anything with infringment (even this website) is in the line of getting removed.

Try again.

Please cite in the bill to which you are referencing? I'm not going to watch some random video and presume the person knows better than my ability to read. So, if you know of a particular part of the bill...

... cite it. Or it's just hyperbole.

rankismet wrote:

platinumb wrote:

Try again.

Please cite in the bill to which you are referncing? I'm not going to watch some random video and presume the person knows better than my ability to read. So if you know of a particular pat of the bill...

If you are not going to watch the video, then stay being the Ray Charles you pose to be. Why should I cite when I can just post in a video.

Someone thinks they are too good to watch Youtube! Want me to spit shine your rusty shoes too?

rankismet

platinumb wrote:

rankismet wrote:

Please cite in the bill to which you are referncing? I'm not going to watch some random video and presume the person knows better than my ability to read. So if you know of a particular pat of the bill...

If you are not going to watch the video, then stay being the Ray Charles you pose to be. Why should I cite when I can just post in a video.

Someone thinks they are too good to watch Youtube! Want me to spit shine your rusty shoes too?

Actually... I prefer to read things myself.

So, yes, I am better than Youtube guy. And I'm guessing you are relying on Youtube guy to think for you... since you haven't read the bill either.

rankismet wrote:

platinumb wrote:

rankismet wrote:

Actually... I prefer to read things myself.

So, yes, I am better than Youtube guy. And I'm guessing you are relying on Youtube guy to think for you... since you haven't read the bill either.

Didn't read. Being arrogant doesn't prove your point.

explain to me why we(the U.S.) needs another anti-piracy law, we already have the dmca which does a good job at making piracy illegal, sure it is slow because it has to go through to court system and the burden of proof is on the mfiaa.

rankismet

zackyd665 wrote:

explain to me why we(the U.S.) needs another anti-piracy law, we already have the dmca which does a good job at making piracy illegal, sure it is slow because it has to go through to court system and the burden of proof is on the mfiaa.

You can do nothing to shut down site such as se7ensins.com with existing legislation.

Example enough for you?

dastealth

Companies of those sort of websites would move away from the US to other countries that don't have the laws to hold them at ransom

ok so you want the us to have full control over the web? I think where the server is located those laws should apply and if a country doesn't have any laws like the dmca than the us shouldn't bully them into making similar laws, just to make the mfiaa happy.

rankismet

zackyd665 wrote:

ok so you want the us to have full control over the web? I think where the server is located those laws should apply and if a country doesn't have any laws like the dmca than the us shouldn't bully them into making similar laws, just to make the mfiaa happy.

I'm sorry that you don't understand or appreciate what it means to own IP. Perhaps if you create something and watch it be stolen from you, your perspective might shift.

I want owners of IP to have full control over their property verus shrugging off the fact someone is getting away with stealing merely because they locate their server off US shores.

your right i don't cause when i write programs, i give the source code with it. I'm sorry that i don't fell bad for corporations cause they find ways to not have to release things into the public domain like most things should have already. (btw your agruing with a guy who things all code should be released under gpl.)

rankismet

zackyd665 wrote:

your right i don't cause when i write programs, i give the source code with it. I'm sorry that i don't fell bad for corporations cause they find ways to not have to release things into the public domain like most things should have already. (btw your agruing with a guy who things all code should be released under gpl.)

Not arguing... we have a disagreement on what ownership rights mean and how they should be protected. I write screenplays... it's my IP until I sell it. If it gets made into a movie... I want to be paid. I don't want to lose money becuase of priracy.

I don't like to see the level of DRM on products becuase of thieves.

As it is, I have read nothing in either of these proposed pieces of legislation that warrant the hyperbole surrounding them.

Fair enough, now I read the dmca and while it doesn't have any provisions for international offenders. I think it would be better for companies to work with other nations to try and get offenders. (no using the US to bully other nations to comply, or shutting down sites for having links or torrent magnet links, instead get rid of the links or poison the links so the file doesn't work.)

rankismet wrote:

zackyd665 wrote:

Not arguing... we have a disagreement on what ownership rights mean and how they should be protected. I write screenplays... it's my IP until I sell it. If it gets made into a movie... I want to be paid. I don't want to lose money becuase of priracy.

I don't like to see the level of DRM on products becuase of thieves.

As it is, I have read nothing in either of these proposed pieces of legislation that warrant the hyperbole surrounding them.

There are already laws and regulations out there for that.

Even now, UMG closes down even the most harmless videos having their property like a little girl singing a song.

But be the sheep you are and think these corporations are actually wanting this bill for just anti-piracy. Your freedom will easily dwindle away.

-pictureframe-

This is a terrible day in internet history. If PIPA and SOPA are made law... then we might never discover if Void and Snake's trip to Paris was real. :shock: