18 Replies Latest reply: Jan 27, 2012 2:29 PM by nuttin2say RSS

Legal?

thetizzleguy

just a question, is spawn trapping (knowing where the enemy will spawn befor they do I.E. waiting for them to pop up) legal or not? because im getting a bit tired of players doing this now happens more often than not.

• Re: Legal?

I'm sure the police will be knocking down their doors any minute now. Arrest wave is scheduled for today.

All jollies aside, I believe it's quite frowned upon by the community. I haven't heard of someone getting banned for it, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Far as I'm aware it definitely isn't illegal - and it's not even technically classed as cheating as they're not using any external hacks to do it, only utilising a bug or an unwanted side-effect of the game itself. Sorry.

thetizzleguy

Ahh thats a shame hate to see a game go to waste just because someone cant play it legitmate

MicroDot wrote:

Far as I'm aware it definitely isn't illegal - and it's not even technically classed as cheating as they're not using any external hacks to do it, only utilising a bug or an unwanted side-effect of the game itself. Sorry.

its not even a bug... these players are simply exploiting the flawed spawning system... they arent playing outside of the game or doing anything wrong.... they arent making the game spawn enemies in front of them...

cheap as hell to do in a public game? oh hell yes... frowned upon? yup

illegal or bannable offence? not even close... people using the striker are essentially doing the same thing.... found something the developers were too dumb to notice and ran with it...

but its IW all over.... banning shouldnt even be a issue... prevent people from doing it in the first place... or patch the hole asap... punishment is pointless if they dont stop it from happening...

Legal?  Of course.  It is a great tactic to employ and you see it frequently on mission with that sh***y spawn in the valley.  It sucks to be on the receiving end of it for sure, though...

I play alone most times and I understand how frustrating it is when no one is communicating and you can't get out of spawn but I admit it is a great tactic for kicking the other teams rear.

All of the spawns in Mission are terrible, because it's a small map with a lot of direct routes places. It's extremely easy to spawn at the church (B dom I think) and have someone pop right out of the alleyways, or as you said spawn on the low part of the map while someone is on the bridge. Nothing much you can do about it.

I guess you never played Rainbow Six Vegas. I find it funny when people complain about spawn trapping in this game compared to that game.

nuttin2say

The spawn system is not flawed. It works as designed and has even been patched to nerf it in favor of the person respawning.

Spawn trapping is nothing new to Call of Duty. In fact, if there is one thing that all the studios involved with creating these games agree with it is this:

spawn trapping is fully legitimate.

The reason why is two-fold:

It is not easy to pull off.

I can be beaten.

The thing to do is make sure you are aware that spawn trapping is possible and always have it in the back of your mind. There are things you will recognize the other team doing if they are attempting to create a spawn trap.

When you start seeing those things and you prevent them, it is actually funny because if the team attempting the trap persists, they can actually be beaten pretty bad.

I've posted in other threads how to create one. Once you know how to create it, you can figure out how to beat it.

Spawn trapping has never been patched. The chances of it ever being patched are unlikely since the focus right now is more on banning people who either intentionally or accidentally did the token glitch. It is an easy task for them to get quick results so they are all over it make themselves feel important. Spawns in this game are definitely horrid, its way to easy to do and the spawns are extremely predictable. One person can literally spawn trap an entire enemy team if they know what they are doing. The only thing in favor of people spawning is the 99% damage resistance to explosions for 20 seconds after spawning. A possible solution to all the ranting, have spawns where the enemy cant get to but where a team cant stay for to long or they get kicked out of the lobby. Not a perfect solution but an idea to be built upon.

nuttin2say

Zombified Eskimo wrote:

Spawn trapping has never been patched. The chances of it ever being patched are unlikely since the focus right now is more on banning people who either intentionally or accidentally did the token glitch. It is an easy task for them to get quick results so they are all over it make themselves feel important. Spawns in this game are definitely horrid, its way to easy to do and the spawns are extremely predictable. One person can literally spawn trap an entire enemy team if they know what they are doing. The only thing in favor of people spawning is the 99% damage resistance to explosions for 20 seconds after spawning. A possible solution to all the ranting, have spawns where the enemy cant get to but where a team cant stay for to long or they get kicked out of the lobby. Not a perfect solution but an idea to be built upon.

It has never been patched because the developers have said previously that spawn trapping is a legitimate strategy. In that light, you're right: it will never be patched.

BTW ... there was no "accidental" use of the token glitch. Now you may not have thought you'd face consequences for doing it, but you still did it knowingly. And if you thought you did it because you thought there was nothing wrong with it, that's you're own problem.

It takes the entire team working together to create a spawn trap. If you faced someone that single-handedly trapped your whole team ... well, that speaks volumes.

And if you single-handedly spawn trapped an entire team, playing against people that have never played the game before does not count.

Don't make crap up. That's exactly why no one wants to help you. You exagerate things beyond common sense.

And, again, dedicated spawn points are the worst thing you could ask for if you want to prevent spawn trapping.

There are several maps in BF3 that my little bro and I can trap an entire team of 12 with just us two doing the trapping. With just four people total on our team working the spawn system in BF3 we can trap an entire team of 12 on ANY map in BF3.

Keep talking out your pie-hole. It shows your intelligence.

I love the spawns in the game, you people just suck. Learn the game, dont just complain about **** you dont understand

i personally feel its as simple as spawn protection.... dedicated staging area for spawning, protected by turrets like on berlin in black ops..

allow access to multiple routes from these areas.... staying put is pointless as there should never an an objective there (block flag carriers etc).. some dork wants to sit there the entire match, let him... cant get any kills either.. or have the turrents turn on anyone after so many seconds etc...

map designers here are idiots and clearly dont actually play these games... they need to be purpose built for FPS gaming... hey you perfectly recreated central park!

who the **** cares? we are here to shoot people, were not virtual tourists.... they need to get back to a more arena type design... hand crafted for balance of whatever game it was made for.. it can be any setting but cant be some cut and paste crap ignoring all specific aspects of the game

TurdFerguson00 wrote:

i personally feel its as simple as spawn protection.... dedicated staging area for spawning, protected by turrets like on berlin in black ops..

allow access to multiple routes from these areas.... staying put is pointless as there should never an an objective there (block flag carriers etc).. some dork wants to sit there the entire match, let him... cant get any kills either.. or have the turrents turn on anyone after so many seconds etc...

map designers here are idiots and clearly dont actually play these games... they need to be purpose built for FPS gaming... hey you perfectly recreated central park!

who the **** cares? we are here to shoot people, were not virtual tourists.... they need to get back to a more arena type design... hand crafted for balance of whatever game it was made for.. it can be any setting but cant be some cut and paste crap ignoring all specific aspects of the game

honestly, i think they think the maps out tooo much. the reason cod4 will always be the best cod is because the maps are so simplistic. imo

nuttin2say

TurdFerguson00 wrote:

You clearly do not play good players in BF3 because it is far FAR easier to spawn trap in that game than it has ever been to spawn trap in a COD game. Yet, what you are describing in your first paragraph is pulled right out of that game.

Dedicated spawn points is the best thing that every happened to spawn trappers. That's especially true in a game whereyou get twice as many people to cover all exit zones.

Arena type design????

Now there you go. See, for years now some of us have said that all of you that cry about campers would not be happy unless the "map" was nothing more than a round room with nothing in it but players.

An arena design??? Seriously?

nuttin2say wrote:

You clearly do not play good players in BF3 because it is far FAR easier to spawn trap in that game than it has ever been to spawn trap in a COD game. Yet, what you are describing in your first paragraph is pulled right out of that game.

Dedicated spawn points is the best thing that every happened to spawn trappers. That's especially true in a game whereyou get twice as many people to cover all exit zones.

Arena type design????

Now there you go. See, for years now some of us have said that all of you that cry about campers would not be happy unless the "map" was nothing more than a round room with nothing in it but players.

An arena design??? Seriously?

who said anything about BF3?

and i have never once been spawn trapped in either game... like many people have already stated, its not that hard to avoid... especially in BF3... its called capping a flag while they try and trap you, leaving the entire map wide open...

i mentioned protection because its an option for the design they seem hell bent on using... other then snd, the round doesnt end so there obviously needs to be a variable spawn system... but with the maps so randomly designed and made for running around like a headless chicken, this system will never work... within 15 seconds, both teams are completely filling every corner and room of the map... where the hell is the game supposed to spawn you if there is an enemy in every area?

but that leads to my last point... arena "TYPE" design.... in other words, not some real life street or location.... but a purpose built battleground built with balance in mind... i used arena because thats basically the design needed, just usually boring...they have their place like nuketown...

BF is completely different because of the vehicles... but take any other FPS like counter-strike or any previous COD title.... maps were designed around gameplay with a flow to them... mw3 maps are just thrown together to look pretty but they play horribly.. there is no flow to any of them save for 1 or 2.. and even those 2 suffer from other issues like clutter or too many routes...

but hey... some people love hiding in windows or laying prone in the bushes entire games....to each their own...

nuttin2say

@ TurdFerguson00

What you described came right out of BF and you know it did. It is, IMO, far easier to trap in that game than in this game. If one team caps all the points in that game, the other team is screwed. The best they can hope for is that a teammate dropped a spawn beacon and the game tells the opposing team where that is so even spawn beacons are useless to avoid a spawn trap.

Once the trap is set in BF, and there is no guessing at all on that one where the team will spawn ... game over. There is literally no way out of it unless the trapped team literally takes a mountain of kills spawning simultaneously on the one or two players still in one spot to push the trapping team into a weak spot.

Well, hello, you can do something similar in COD. Nonetheless, it takes far fewer people to pull off the trap in BF than it does in MW3 - even though you have more people on both teams in BF. In any COD game if just one player goes into the trapped team's area, the spawn trap is broken.

Furthermore, you need one player with 11 kills or less (if he caps something that counts as a kill) to break a trap. Use the Support Package equipped with a Stealth Bomber and no matter what the other team does, you break the trap at least momentarily. They will either run for cover - which causes an opening - or they are killed by the bombs. Either way, an opening is created and the trap is broken.

Now, granted, if you're on a team too stupid to figure that out there's nothing that's going to help you.

But this brings up another point. How many times now have I looked at a player's Elite profile to see they have five custom classes available ... yet all five classes are loaded out exactly the same? (I haven't looked at yours so I don't know if you do that, too).

I have all ten classes unlocked and there are four of them that get used much less than others. One I rarely use; my sniping class. If the map is conducive to sniping and that's what all six of the other players are doing, then I'll use my sniping class and ... break the sniper wall. The next least used class is my Anti-Air class. No need to explain what that is for.

But I have other classes for specific uses, as well. I almost always have two support classes. One for low range support and one with high range support. I'll figure out right away whether or not another team is attempting a spawn trap. If they are, I switch to one of those support classes and ruin their day. Yes, it takes a while ... but you have to be patient to play the game to begin with.

Finally, I think you're mixing ideas and terms. The spawn system in Call of Duty works on the same foundation in every COD title. It is a dynamic system. In MW3, from what I see, is that the only big change is that it now also factors in damage.

You will respawn near (not next to, in general) the person on your team that has been alive the longest AND who has been damaged the least. I actually saw this working in Black Ops, too, but it is more noticeable in MW3.

That's why you spawn "all over the map."

The only reason you sometimes spawn in a corner of the map that has neither other teammates nor is it an original spawn is because in both original spawns there is an  enemy player ... and "near" your teammate that's been alive the longest and has the least amount of damage is changing too fast. In other words, your team is dying too fast. Don't worry, though, because that usually means the other team is dying rapidly, as well.

When such situations occur, the spawn system gives both teams a breather by throwing only ONE of your teammates to a remote area of the map. From that ONE player it calculates who has been alive the longest with the least amount of damage and decides to start spawning teammates near that player.

Now, on smaller maps (and most of the maps we all know seem to be smaller than traditional) the only "problem" with this system is that your teammate that was thrown out of the main fight might already be half way to the fight again, if not already in the fight again. The net result is that you spawn in situations where you feel like an opponent is right behind where you just spawned.

The simple solution is to wait an extra one or two seconds before spawning.

I've waited longer than the full run of the kill cam in the past in order to break spawn cycles caused by my teammates over eagerness to get back into the battle.

It works. Try it.

In an amazing number of cases, if you take the time to watch the patterns of the game, you'll see how to manipulate them in your favor and you'll also see nothing needs to be changed.

- edit - just to give you another example, you don't need to run inside for cover in order to avoid dying by helos or reapers or ac130s ... watch which side of the map the enemy helo is on ... take cover along a wall opposite the direction of the enemy air support.

I do this regularly to take down enemy aircraft. ...  watch the patterns of the game!

Spawn trapping is legal, ethical, and awesome to do.

kholland65

Spawn trapping is legal and has been in every FPS. Its a tactic skilled teams use, especially in objective games. Good teams use strategies based on manipulating the spawns to there benefit, for example getting the other team to spawn in a corner opposite of their flag, allowing for a clear path to the flag to capture it.

MW3 is just by far the easiest game in history to spawn trap in. The number of spawn points are so limited that it spawns you in the same spot 10x in a row even though you keep dying right near it, all because it can't find another viable option to spawn you at.

Spawn trapping is legal and usually not very noticeable or easy to do. MW3 is just super easy to do and to sustain.