5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2012 5:31 PM by trialstardragon RSS

Weapon Damage

trialstardragon

I know most here understand that the weapons have two damage values. A Max damage when close and a Min damage when at max range for the weapon. But I wonder how many of you know or understand that the damage is not a cliff drop in damage. Meaning it does not just magically go from Max to Min as soon as you reach the max effective range for the weapon. That the damage is actually on a slope scale and slowly decreases the further you get away from a player from its Max until it reaches the Min at the effective range of the weapon. This is why sometimes what would normally take two shots from the MK14 can suddenly take 3-4. Or why sometimes it takes you more rounds to kill someone with a weapon when further away then when close/short/medium range. So if you are constantly trying to kill someone and it takes more rounds than you think it should, perhaps you are at a range where the weapon damage has been lowered enough to reduce the effective killing force of each round and you need to get closer. Or else it is going to take more rounds, where if the weapon they are using has a longer range it will still take them less rounds to kill you. Meaning you sometimes get the wtf moments where your weapon that should have been better was out performed by a weapon that should have been worse.

• Re: Weapon Damage
    technical

How it happens to me:

1. I shoot 10 bullets.

2. After a second all bullets reach the target.

3. If it's a lucky day, the enemy will drop.

I usually have time to go to a cover after all that. If it's a super lucky day, I will be alive after hiding in the cover. Happens very rare.

I would like to point out that the MK14 does 75-49 so it is always a 2-3 hit kill unless its to the head then its 1 up close and 2 at long range. Anyway I've known this sense COD 4, but it still somhow takes over 20 bullets to drop people because of lag.

trialstardragon

The twenty bullets is because of lag and hit detection where you shooting at a ghost. But if you are having that much lag then you reall need to look at your network and isp to find out why. Even in the most laggy of lobbies it never takes that man for me to kill anyone with even the weakest of guns in this game.

You do kno that bullets do less damage to the legs and arms right, they do not even do the normal damage when shooting someone there. So a MK14 can take 3-4 at max range depending on where you shoot them. And if you add in the vest it can easily take at least 4 shots at max range.

anoreo

I know all about min-max damage but it's easy to forget sometimes. Also, the words "LMG" and "min damage" should never be in the same sentence. Somebody screwed up at IW.

trialstardragon

Truth be told all weapons should loose damage the further they travel out in this game even the LMG's. I would say even the snipers if the maps were large enough; but as the fact that most maps in COD never have been large enough and that is the only reason snipers dont. The further a bullet the travels the less damage it should do; because of loss of inertia and velocity.