35 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2012 6:57 AM by MLGTWISTED RSS

The Lag Comp Is Worse Now.

MLGTWISTED

I used to be able to play with my friends in England, but since the last patch a couple of days ago its unplayable.  The lag window that others are getting is way too large, I die on a UK host before I can even aim down sight.  1v1 US player vs UK player who is host = the UK player always wins, and the only way I can get kills is to flank behind them with assassin, but if they see me Ill die before I can aim down sight.  I asked my friends from England if I could host the lobby so it would find American hosts, and to see if they had the same issue.  They also said it was completely unplayable, and there kills went from 40/9 on UK hosts to 15/25.  The lag compensation is ruining this game, please please, please IW fix this, because I can't even enjoy this game with friends anymore.  Also, its not as if American hosts are lag free either, the lag comp is definately worse since the last patch, whatever IW have done is a step in the wrong direction.  Thanks for listening.

• Re: The Lag Comp Is Worse Now.

Same problem here brother. Doesn't matter if I'm playing with parties or by myself. I'm always 4 bars, ALWAYS. and people with 1-3  bars just wreck me. Lag comp has gotten worse since release with every update since release.

I can know a guy is coming who's tagged by a recon drone, so I ADS at the corner he's about to walk around, and he will still manage to win the gunfight...every time.

MLGTWISTED wrote:

1v1 US player vs UK player who is host = the UK player always wins

Um, duh?  It's pretty obvious that someone from another country who has host will have a better connection than you and  be able to see and kill you fast.  This isn't a new thing.  How is this lag comp though?

Technically if it was lag comp wouldn't you be at the advantage?  The UK players host is being weakened by the US players in the lobby.  As a result he is punished for hosting someone that is so far away and has a poor connection signal relative to where he is.

vims1990

TNN64 wrote:

MLGTWISTED wrote:

1v1 US player vs UK player who is host = the UK player always wins

Um, duh?  It's pretty obvious that someone from another country who has host will have a better connection than you and  be able to see and kill you fast.  This isn't a new thing.  How is this lag comp though?

Technically if it was lag comp wouldn't you be at the advantage?  The UK players host is being weakened by the US players in the lobby.  As a result he is punished for hosting someone that is so far away and has a poor connection signal relative to where he is.

TNN64 is correct here.

If you're playing on a UK host (and you are from the US) and they had an advantage, lag comp cannot be at play here.

Lag comp is quite the opposite considering you would have had the advantage over the UK host.

So obviously, IW/SH Games are correctly tweaking lag comp (as it should be) where a player who either lives closer to the host or is host is gaining some advantage.

So it cannot be lag comp at all.

Jackky360

Agreed mate.

mdub

MLGTWISTED wrote:

I used to be able to play with my friends in England, but since the last patch a couple of days ago its unplayable.  The lag window that others are getting is way too large, I die on a UK host before I can even aim down sight.  1v1 US player vs UK player who is host = the UK player always wins, and the only way I can get kills is to flank behind them with assassin, but if they see me Ill die before I can aim down sight.  I asked my friends from England if I could host the lobby so it would find American hosts, and to see if they had the same issue.  They also said it was completely unplayable, and there kills went from 40/9 on UK hosts to 15/25.  The lag compensation is ruining this game, please please, please IW fix this, because I can't even enjoy this game with friends anymore.  Also, its not as if American hosts are lag free either, the lag comp is definately worse since the last patch, whatever IW have done is a step in the wrong direction.  Thanks for listening.

Why on earth would you expect a game between USA and UK to be good???? You are aware of that magical thing called ping, right????

gallp13

As our peers are saying, games between distant countries will lag. Attached link explains all http://community.callofduty.com/thread/1849. I hope you find this helpful.

I do note however, that since the last patch games with local players has collapsed for me in Australia. It may be the patch, it may not and just be a coincidence, either way the game now does not work for me.

I will try some more today...and see if it was a blip but from what I have experienced I am not hopeful...the terrible thing is....no one can really help. There are just too many people with problems, no way to give every body a reasonable game with this engine and too few trained and experienced support people to help. Maccabi for me is the best in the world and he is a community member! I have really appreciated his work in helping everybody understand and alleviate the effects of lag. Invaluable work and a true Conmunity minded person. Props Mac.

In the scheme of things my experience doesnt matter, however, I am so very disappointed as I really enjoy the game. Now I know how players like Nub.....and thousands of others have felt. It's just terrible and a real pity :(

Oh well bright side is I get more free time!

while that may be true about Mac, we shouldn't have to take 5 hours to read foxhound's or Mac's tutorials to "fix" issues with "our" connection and the game.

Many of us, I know I at least, have had no issues with online gaming until this game.

In my mind anything that helps my lag compensation issues has to be something to chokes my speed/bandwidth or whatever. Which I have done lol.

But apparently that's frowned upon because it makes lag comp issues worse. "while it's a short fix for you it only adds to the overal problem" is what I've seen many times.

Even the best fixes would probably fail right about now when every game I get into is as laggy as the worst games I get into in CoD4

gallp13

Yes yes...very true Rager very true......I have never throttled, never had to......things change though....I am truly at one with you in pain.....off to mow the lawn and clean the pool.....MW3 she no work for me.......out damned patch!

maccabi

CoD_Rager wrote:

while that may be true about Mac, we shouldn't have to take 5 hours to read foxhound's or Mac's tutorials to "fix" issues with "our" connection and the game.

Many of us, I know I at least, have had no issues with online gaming until this game.

In my mind anything that helps my lag compensation issues has to be something to chokes my speed/bandwidth or whatever. Which I have done lol.

But apparently that's frowned upon because it makes lag comp issues worse. "while it's a short fix for you it only adds to the overal problem" is what I've seen many times.

Even the best fixes would probably fail right about now when every game I get into is as laggy as the worst games I get into in CoD4

Correct you shouldnt take mine of foxs advice, go find some elsewhere, consoles are not out the box expereinces regardless of what you may think they are network devices that need to be correctly setup.  Nothing i have posted in my thread is a "fix" everything is geared to making sure your connection and xbox/network are running correctly BEFORE you even play... fyi my thread was posted a few days these forums went up way before mw3 came out...its something i made very clear when i made the post and when replying to that post, if what i suggest helps whatever game your playing well then great if not i dont care fixing game issues isnt my remit.

nothing in my post is designed to nerf or throttle your connection anyone who assumes as such (looks at a poster earlier) is basically an idiot. Everything i suggest in my post is designed to either lower your ping or ensure traffic flows through your network as well as it came. end of.

"Everything i suggest in my post is designed to either lower your ping..."

lowering your ping... aka lowering speed.

And Xbox 360 shouldn't be an "out of the box experience" but I shouldn't have to spend hours tweaking my router and internet settings to be able to play ONE game without getting screwed because of my better than average connection.

maccabi

CoD_Rager wrote:

"Everything i suggest in my post is designed to either lower your ping..."

lowering your ping... aka lowering speed.

erm nope lower ping means your data is traveling faster to a host/server and back not slower

CoD_Rager wrote:

And Xbox 360 shouldn't be an "out of the box experience" but I shouldn't have to spend hours tweaking my router and internet settings to be able to play ONE game without getting screwed because of my better than average connection.

completely agree with you here, well apart from your better than average connection as i doubt very much your idea of a better than average conenction is actuall what you think it it is. but the rest yep totally agree people should correctly setup their networks and xboxes when they get them not when they notice a problem. Course doing so after the fact and noticing a performance increae kinda implies there was something that needed optimizing in the first place doesnt it.. hence why i made my post BEFORE the game came out.

haha wow total brain fart I'm way too tired to be posting lol. My bad.

But when I pull host >50% of the time I get the feeling my connection is better than average. I have Comcast Cable. ping <100 cross country with 0% packet loss and have 25/5 down/up (all this on a wireless laptop and my xbox is hardwired so its connection is even better).

I have not played MW3 for a week i put the game in last night and got the update patch then after playing one game on a local server turned it off. I could not believe the lag everyone bouncing from 4 bar to 2 yellow bars. And i was watching everyone lagging as they were running around the map. What ever they tried to do to fix this game has definetly made it worse, i will not be buying ant more call of duty games. They have completely stuffed this one up and we should be asking for a refund or some big freebies to make up for a useless effort from this gaming company.

mjw3786

yeah it's far worse. regularly seeing people with 1-2 bars in my games now. they're destroying me in showdowns. it's basically as bad as it was at launch now. FIX THIS $HIT

i got in a game with people from south africa today?! gee, that's just awesome

deucedouglas

I have the same issue. It actually was really good for a while. And by really good, I mean better. Not perfect, but better. Now, it's back to square one. Constantly getting shot around corners and one shot by silenced SMG's from across maps. Playing on 3-bar is practically impossible without snapping my disc in half.

Hahahahaaa i know exactly what you mean i did that with my copy of black ops for xbox because of the poor net coding. I still have it for PS3 and i find i get a better game on the PS3 in general then xbox live go figure. I don't have MW3 yet for PS3 so can't compare it to xbox live not game to spend the money if it's **** on PS3 as well. Still no reply from activision to the email i sent 4 days ago about this so much for customer service. A few of my freinds on xbox have rung them but they get the usuall response of "we are looking into it" or "what sort of connection are you running".

The lag and lag comp is just unbearable! Ever since the last update the game keeps freezing, all players on 1 bar and jumping around the screen with frames being lost. Why (with all the money they make from cod) can't they come up with something to even this out or stop it altogether? I know FPS games will always have some element of lag but this is gone beyond a joke. Robert Bowling is nothing more than a glorified troll.

This game should never have been released in this state, granted there are elements of the game that are enjoyable but overall it is let down by a multitude of over rushed features.

I hope treyarch come up with a better game next year and I hope its designed around a new engine, god knows we've paid them enough to come up with something different.

Infinityward suck.

Typically I've always had a 4 bar and can usually manage a 3 bar on east coast (I'm west). Ever since the update I can't get consistant connections at all anymore. I think they also applied this to MW1 & 2

Thanks for sealing the assurance I will never buy an IW/SH game though!

ACII

lol, this is the worst multiplayer game of ALL TIME

a fail of epic proportions.

indy56

For the last 3 nights i have been on 1,2 and 3 bar connection, where as before  game play and connection  was very good, i actually rage quit through sheer fraustration tonight, if this goes on much longer with this game i just will not bother in future,

I live in North California and I am not able to play any game smoothly. First of all you have maybe 5 bars or 4 bars, and all of sudden you got 1 bar and your character just jumping around the map and most of the time it ended up with you flashed yourself with the flashbang you threw way to in front of you or you get killed....(in killcam you can see yourself doing vanish and appear kinda trick to your enemy....)

I tried wireless/wired connection, ping is 15ms, DL speed 30Mbps UL speed 6Mbps, no connection issue, also I tried two XBOX consoles, nothing different, just IW sucked at this patch.

Jackky360

I live in the United Kingdom and my connection is great now. Even when someone else in my house is on a laptop it lags a little bit, maybe once or twice in a game. It's definetly improved for me.

This is all just a big mess. Wish there weren't so many casuals that could care less playing, as there would be an absolute shutdown and thus a big change from Activision, but as it is, and this gets old, but they really are just milking this thing for all its worth, with no focus on integrity. I always heard bad things about Acti., but really didn't understand until I got into COD and witnessed the hardcore corporate machinery. They just ooze mechanical disgustingness. Not even for a second do they transmit a customer oriented service or even display an interest in games themselves. 

Yeah, I did play yesterday and was teamed up against 2 guys with 1 bar. The 2 guys with the 1 bar did get +20, the rest just sucked.

Why is this thread still even around?  What the Op is talking about isn't even lag comp....

biron_w

I've given up with this game due to the lag comp. I'm constantly getting screwed over by it. Or if i'm not getting screwed the host is,who will just dashboard anyway.

Here's an example of why lag comp is ridiculous - i'm from the uk and played against 2 people from brazil(why we were playing against brazilians I don't know but that's another matter) the other day. The were both and 1 bar connections yet there was no way to kill them. I played wtih 3 friends and none of us could kill them. They ended up first and second on their team. How is that fair? How can people living over 5000 miles away have an advantage?

This game is a joke. I can't figure out why I still bother trying to play it. Every match I get into I'm like a half second behind the enemies, I mean it's incredibly obvious. I'm running with assassin, call in an advanced uav, see a guy getting ready to round the corner right in front of me, bring the sights up, I'm dead the moment he emerges on my screen. Every. Time. Watching the killcam, I'm just standing there like an idiot still waiting for him to round the corner as he's pumping me full of lead. It's pretty discouraging going into every match knowing that you're seeing everything on your screen entirely too late...

mjw3786

honestly, my issue doesn't appear to be related to "lag comp"

my issue now is the matchmaking. before the last patch I *NEVER* got in to games with people from australia, sweden, south africa, spain, etc

now just about EVERY game has players with 1-2 bars from foreign countries and it ruins the matches with lag. people with bad connections are destroying me. i'm still chosen as host for this crap because I have an above average connection

so you can imagine what the 1-2 bar players AND being host can do for fun in mw3...

CHANGE THE MATCHMAKING BACK TO LOCAL SEARCH ONLY. I do not want to play with people in foreign countries. I don't care if they have to wait for 10 minutes to find a game. If they're getting in my game via proxy connection, BLOCK THIS CRAP. ugh i'm almost to tenth but i was struggling to suck it up yesterday because the game is pretty much unplayable now. rubber banding, frame rates dropping. emptying a full clip in someone and still getting one shotted.

While you are correct in saying that someone from a different country will cause lag because their signal is weaker, if they also have slow internet to start with and there is 4 or 5 in the lobby it will effect your ping as MW3 takes the ping average of everybody in the lobby and then gives that average to everybody. So in fact they could be affecting your ping even if you have a fast connection the lag compensation makes yours and there ping the same even though they may be 500km away or more. Lag compensation was supposed to be designed to stop giving the host of the game an advantage over other players, but has failed big time by affecting the ping so much the game is unstable and can not hold anybody on a full connection for more then a few seconds.

On another note i finally got a reply from Activision support this morning regarding this matter and i quote "I have received your email regarding your issue with the lag compensation on the xbox 360, i am sorry you are having this issue. This is something that we are looking into and are trying to fix as soon as possible. Please look for a patch in the near future, i am sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you".

Hopefully this means they have noticed a trend with complaints and are going to rectify the situation.

W0rmW0rt

I have a super fast connection - app. (40 down and 20 mb up).  This game is almost unplayable for me in standard games but in Drop Zone it seems to have been fixed.  Feels like MW1.  Now they took Drop Zone away.  I will never give them another penny of my money.  Going to BF3