38 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2012 1:26 PM by Bleak5170 RSS

HOST/LAG Problems Read :

Ok let me start by showing you guys my connection/ping Speed : http://speedtest.net/result/1762284939.png on BT Infinity

With this speed i have numerous plroblems with MW3 because i pull host the majority of the time, in the rare accation that i dont get the marked for death sentance of being host i still get what feels like more then my fair share of LAG thrown at me.. Hosting is unplayable but we all know this..

Anyway heres the good part :

i recently purchased a new router which is a gaming router, it enables me to findle with things like connection bandwidth.. after spending all of yesterday evening trying different settings i seem to have found a good solution..

If you guys can lower your upload, this will rule you out of hosting.. mine sits around 6-7 meg !! i changed mine to an upload of 1.6 meg with still keeping my download of around 36 meg.. this has had dramatic results in playing MW3 because :

1) im killing just as easily but not dieing so quickly, basically giving me time to react which is how all the other CODs were..

2) im not host anymore unless im put as leader in a party , otherwise im never host..

3) i had my most enjoyable evening on MW3 since launch and had fun..

4) im still connecting to <50 ping related servers.. even in a party..

this came at a cost to me to get these results.. before i did all this my online gaming with MW3 was terrible with HOST LAG.. and what seemed to be also Lag compensation when i (1%) didnt host.. my router is the WL-309 gaming router which cost me around £130- but i needed to buy 1 anyway due to wanting auto QoS because im not the only user online..

Anyway if you guys are able to do this it will greatly improve your gaming.. i 100% sure of it.. like i said playing around with NAT TYPES etc wont really improve much because your connection is still quick.. in fact it hampers it.. if you have a quick Ping you will always have a quick ping.. but in the router setting (which is the proper route to take) you can dumb your download or upload bandwidth down which affects the ping and will stop you from hosting..

In me doing this, i have found that actually MW3 isnt terrible for playing online, i beleive that its the ISP's in conjunction with the game developers which are causing LAG because the game developers wont really know how to make a level playing field for all the online gamers, which is why Lag compensation is introduced.. i suppose the developes just look at stats of how fast the average ping connection speeds are and try to make the online experience from that which is a good way... its just ISP's are bringing out faster broadband deals now days which prob hampers the game developers..

anyway MW3 is a joy to play again.. yea i will die a few times etc.. but im not hosting on a great connection.. the lag is minimal and im having a better time playing MW3..

if you cant find the settings in your router and have a quick connection.. maybe your isp can cap your upload speed..? if not you may need a different router..

Lgnd-Shiz

• Re: HOST/LAG Problems Read :
    Snipingdbag

Yeah, cod is a very connection based game & more than ever so in mw3. I believe having a decent ping with a decent to good net is the best thing to have in this game.

2 / 3 bars lagging is annoying to play with and play against, especially with a good ping vsing these ppl is beyond annoying

3 / 4 bars with a decent net with a good host > Heaven

Of course you then have ppl cheating by lag switching with lag software and lag switches or in a lesser extent by downloading torrents creating even more frustration.

Unless they fix the host lag & stuttering and better & longer <50 ping searches, no point in hosting.

this is why i have done what i have with my connection.. its very good i have to say.. yea it means somebody else has to host but until Infinity Ward sort the Host Lag out it doesnt have to ruin every game i play.. i really dont mind hosting if i didnt have to suffer the stutter,lag etc but until its fixed, this is a way of getting round the HOST LAG. (for yourself anyway).. at least now for me this game wasnt purchased for a waste of money

WOW,, I've been schooled ,,thanks

Jackal235

The high up/down speeds may contribute to be a host, so by lowering it you can avoid hosting.

When it comes to lag, main factor is latency and the way it's being compensated by a host.

So playing with bandwith doesn't make much difference unless you go really low let's say to 112kb, as this game does not need much.

Also Netgear "genie" software allows to modify uplink, not sure how you did it with down.

Anyways, unless you try to change ping there's no much you can do improve the "compansation"

You are in that sweet spot where I think we are the most penalized. 

The PS3 forums are filled with threads like this but nobody from IW has acknowledged that there is a problem.  We might be screwed.

lowered my download by changing my ethernet connection setting.. its normally set to normal/auto in my router saying "1000/100/10" but i was able to change this to "10" basically so the router wont allow my connection to go above that.. keep on messing round with my upload at the moment.. playing at the moment with the upload set to 0.500 kbps .. did this by changing the upload stream setting in my LAN settings in the router..

After weeks of messing about with my router and PS3 to try and stop me being host I managed it tonight.

I had turned off UPnP on both router and console, taken PS3 out of DMZ and not forwarded ports but the game still gave me an open NAT.

Tonight the host lag was terrible and first 5 games I joined I was host and ended up quitting. The frame rate was very stuttery so I tried again to stop me being host doing the above. Logged into the game and for some strange reason it gave me a moderate NAT and I was able to play all night without being picked as host!

i did this as well but set my connection to 20mb down and 700kbps up....just a fair warning i still pulled host a few times. but no where near i did when i didnt throttle my connection back down (35mb down and 6.5mb up)....but ya its definately more enjoyable....

call me a prick i dont care but when it feels like im host and its easy to tell with the stuttering/lag/etc....i hop on my router and blaaam change my uplink to like 7kbps and it forces a host migration then i bump it back up.

Hopefully word will get round and people start doing this, then IW will have to do something about it.

The host lag I've had previously was bad but nowhere near as bad as tonight. I reckon I was getting about 5fps and I've never experienced it like that before.

whats makes me laugh is all the players that are either about to get BT infinity who dont have a different router from the 1 thats supplied (HH3) or even virgin media who are about to get there speed doubled all will go against you guys when playing COD !!!

the devs need to relise this...

Army_of_COD

GREAT POST!!! THANKS!

There is no way Activision or IW will resolve this issue in the near future. If it really works as you described I owe you dinner (any descent restaurant in London )!

Army_of_COD

Does anyone know whether it is possible to reduce the upload speed on Vigin Media Super HUB or not?

yeah, connect it to a BT line

Army_of_COD

I didn't get any response so I assume it is not possible to reduce the upload speed on VirginM Superhub.

But I wouldn't like to buy a new router now as I got it just 3 months ago. So it is wait and see...

theraven.

No you carn't intill there is a new firmware but you can get your own router and use modem mode

Army_of_COD wrote:

I didn't get any response so I assume it is not possible to reduce the upload speed on VirginM Superhub.

But I wouldn't like to buy a new router now as I got it just 3 months ago. So it is wait and see...

i cant speak about virgin media mate.. i havent looked in the router settings but normally the router/modems our isp's supply are not really customer friendly when it comes to changing certain settings.. like i said i was only able to do this when i purchased a new router..

a faster connection (which increases ping) doesnt make your COD experience better, infact it makes it worse.. just remember that please, so you dont waste money like i did.. in dumbing my connection down, im able to play COD better but what a waste of a perfectly good connection...

nice post but the general rule of thumb of the matchmaking server of COD games, is worst player hosts

i have now got my connection down to under 10 meg down..(sitting around 9.5) and have changed my upload speed again to only 0.350 kbps and this is working superb.. most matches im going in im ripping other players up.. getting around 30-40 kills in KC on average and hardly dieing.. this compared to my normal speed at the start of this complete thread where i would host and get insta-killed etc pulling host is a world of difference..

im not doing this to get great stats,or try to cheat etc.. im doing this to be able to play like every1 else.. i hate the fact my great connection is useless on COD but havent wasted my money on MW3 this way..

If Infinity Ward want to sort this game out so it play's great for everybody (including Host) i would put my connection back.. the developers have not taken into account that broadband speeds are getting faster which atm totally penilises the quick connections compared to the slow 1's..

its alot of money to spend on a game in buying a good gaming router that allows you to do these options but i like playing COD so this works..

i have also recently given my PS3 a static ip. and opened the correct port's etc but this only helps a fraction.. the main thing here is the connection speed which inturn affects the ping etc..

rlbl

Interesting..

I have never had a good upload (currently 1MB, used to be 500KB) - in actuality it is sitting at 800KB atm.

I do not get chosen as host much, but it is terrible when I do. I have uPnP turned on because when I go to moderate I cannot join a lot of people's parties (or they cannot join me).

However,  even when I am not host I still often cannot find games with <75ms ping. I go play spec ops when that happens.

killasapo

I have a netgear gaming router I will attempt these settings and let you guys know how well they work

currently my setup:

PS3 wired to giga switch to giga netgear gaming router

Fiber Optic connection 20meg down and 20meg up

been playing all 2night and the settings that worked great havent worked all night.. im not pulling host which is a good thing but for some reason 2night the enemy im facing are on speed lol.. really hard to kill and i feel like im moving slower..?

Because this game is all over the place its hard to play a consistant game.. not sure what to do now because i dont want to put my connection back to what it should be to pull host, but in slowing my connection i have come to a brick wall again..

in slowing my download and upload i suppose im slowing my ping which then gives me some sort of lag compensation..

problem is this doesnt work every night....?

how can this be..

dont know what to try next lol..

i think this game is over for me to be honest..

tried to get a good experience out of it but it just pisses me off.. . the playing field isnt consistant, nor is it fair... doesnt really matter how many times i play in different servers etc.. the LAG in 1 game to the next is BS.. theres no skill involved for me anyway because the foundation of this game doesnt work.. how can i play a normal game when im either going to be insta-killed & fire rubber bullets or be able to shoot/kill how the game is supposed to be..

maybe its just me but either BT infinity doesnt work for gaming or COD died on the PS3 after COD4..

i have tried everything in trying to get this game to play normally so i get the experience others are having.. but none work.. if the above was a consistant thing with slowing my connection down then it would be ok but it isnt.. the only difference is this week the kids are all off school so as per normal the servers are laggy anyway but this shouldnt still be a factor because ive lagged myself down.. anyway screw this **** so called COD game..

Has anyone else noticed that the connection has been worse for about a week and a half to two weeks now? Its the worst i've ever had except for just 1 game! Anyone know whats going on with the connection or servers over the last 2 weeks? Most days recently have been completely unplayable

Doenst work, i got my infinity connection http://www.speedtest.net/result/1780055100.png down to 5Mbit down and 1Mbit up using my Phat PS3 by connecting it via wireless n router which the phatboys hate and i was still host all the time cos the ping is fast.

I very rarely play MW3 now, i cant see the point in me getting all worked up over a game simply because the devs put some dickhead feature in it. I cant ever see it being fixed so ill just make sure i never buy an activition game again regardless of who has developed it or how good it is.

hey smoke buddy.. yea i seem to remember that 1 game you had very well lol.. anyway like i said .. this has become to inconsistant for me to have a good experience on when i turn my PS3 on .. i may get 4 games out of ten where the lag is ok and i feel like the game is running not to bad.. then the next game or a host migration and the lag is all over the place again..

Why cant the developers sort this out.. if my connection is quicker then others i dont mind being host but dont penilise me for it ffs.. ?

wireless is not the answer by the way when your trying to slow your connection down mate.. but if you cap both your upload and download will do it by the router settings.. this is prob the best way to have a better game and not pull host BUT even this is still inconsistant.. like i said the enemy seemed to be on speed because i couldnt even aim my gun without even firing it before i was being killed..

i know what this LAG feels like to be on the other end of it because it has happened to me when i have got some MOAB's but this isnt oftern..

plus when your in a party with your friends the game lags like hell.. or at least to 1 of the party members..? its like 1 of your friends will wear the poison chalis while another friend destroys..

All im asking for is for ROBERT BOWLING to read this thread and answer a few questions like .. :

Will this game ever be fixed..?

Will Hosting MW3 always be this terrible to players with fast connections..?

Will LAG always be in this game like it is now..?

Will we ever see local servers only option..?

Will the splitt screeners and Slow connection players be moved away from the faster connection players..?

Will partys always LAG or to at least 1 player n that party..?

Will Infinity Ward ever state they got this wrong..?

Will the COD game case ever state that a fast connection is not worth having & that LAg Compensation is in the game you are about to buy..?

Look all im asking for is for INFINITY WARD to come out and PLEASE let me know what is the best connection speed for the uk to play there product on(MW3), so i can set my router up for this..if they can asure me that i will get a consistant game when ever i play there product (Like Advertised) to the enjoyable experience Robert Bowling was telling us all before MW3 was released..

I dont want any second rate representive telling me to forward ports etc's because they are done already.. i just want to know what the correct connection speed is that this game was setup for.. ?

if it setup for the uk average or the global average then why does'nt this work ..? because i have done this already..

UK broadband connection average speed is :

Increase in average broadband speeds over January

Posted on 2012-02-01 14:20 in Announcements News

January 2012 saw average download speeds recorded by users of our Broadband Speed Test increasing in comparison to the levels achieved in December's result, coming in at 8.21Mb. Average upload speed also increased to 1.31Mb.

Virgin Media's average download and upload speeds have increased to 15.33Mb and 2.46Mb respectively.

Fibre to the Cabinet provider Eclipse drop from last months speeds, with a 9.65Mb average download speed and 1.53Mb upload speed. BT Broadband remain stable this month, with download speeds averaging at 7.52Mb and upload speeds at 1.45Mb.

The best performing non-fibre-based provider was again BE and O2 (who share a common infrastructure) in at 5th place with 5.62Mb average download speed over its Local Loop Unbundled ADSL2+ service.

Read more Broadband Speed Test Results for January 2012

So in relation to the above.. i have set my download and upload up accordingly and yet this game still has an inconsistant outcome..

IS MW3 THE BEST IT CAN GET NOW & THERE ARE NOMORE UPDATES TO INCREASE RELIABILITY FOR A CONSISTANT GAME OF MW3 ?

yours

Lgnd-Shiz

killasapo

The method that the original poster posted actually works somewhat..... let me explain :

So i limited my upload speed on my netgear gaming router (WNDR4500) to 128kbps

As far as i can tell i no longer ever get picked as host (bye bye host lag comp.)

Game is running great during NON PEEK HOURS as soon as prime time rolls around games are dropping mid game, Host migration quits and sends everyone back to main lobby.

Again during non peek times (when the lil brats are in school) things work GREAT!!!!!

yes it does work great, the problem is the consistancy.. i have been fiddleing with my router/PS3 settings now for a good few weeks.. over this w/end just gone i got 2 MOABs and tbh my connection was pretty much the best it has been.. there were even a few games where it felt i was on rails lol..

i tried lowering my upload to 200 kbps with a download of around 10 mbps and it was not to bad.. then i tried this with wireless and i was still doing pretty good... but in my opinion a wired connection works prob twice as good.. below is MY optimum setting for me to play MW3 with BT Infinity :

Limited my Download to 12 MBPS

Limited my Upload to 0.850 KBPS

My PS3 is static

My Ports are open in my router from the Activision website setup for my PS3

The above settings basically steer me away from being host, but i find im also getting LAG COMPNSATION to aid me or at least not Dissadvantage me.. most games seem to be very playable now with the odd LAGGY server but if its to bad i normally come out..generally foriegn servers during the morning in the uk can suck..

The only problem i do have is whenin a party, hardly ever do all 5 or 6 of my friends get the same nice connection.. its almost like if 1 of the party get a really great connection then 1 of the other guys in the party will get the bad end of the LAG..

ive now got my settings setup perfect for me as well as it can be.. just wish my team who have also opened ports etc with a simular connection had the same nice online experience..

Hope the above helps you guys anyway

Yours

Lgnd-Shiz

So, basically you're choking your upload speed so you won't sent out what you do in the game as fast as the updates, what others do, get sent to you? Isn't that, supposingly, what a lag-switch is meant to do?

I was playing last night and ran into these players on the other team that was moving quite erratically. When he/she [from here on, he] was moving he constantly moved one part fast and one part very slowly. Fast, slow, fast, slow. Looking at the kill-cam he was moving smoothly and at the same speed the whole time. Just like his movements and activity wasn't updated, for me, as fast as what our movements and activites were, for him. I know, this could very well be lag on his part. But after reading your technique it got me thinking since I ran into a few couple of this behaviour and in different lobbies.

What happens if every player in a lobby does this trick? Will everyone's move be choppy or does this technique not interfere with the game at all? Like if the host doesn't upload fast then the game definitely will be unplayable.

I'm not putting your technique down. Not at all. I'm just curious since it seems to work so well.

Have a good one!

robbies wrote:

So, basically you're choking your upload speed so you won't sent out what you do in the game as fast as the updates, what others do, get sent to you? Isn't that, supposingly, what a lag-switch is meant to do?

I was playing last night and ran into these players on the other team that was moving quite erratically. When he/she [from here on, he] was moving he constantly moved one part fast and one part very slowly. Fast, slow, fast, slow. Looking at the kill-cam he was moving smoothly and at the same speed the whole time. Just like his movements and activity wasn't updated, for me, as fast as what our movements and activites were, for him. I know, this could very well be lag on his part. But after reading your technique it got me thinking since I ran into a few couple of this behaviour and in different lobbies.

What happens if every player in a lobby does this trick? Will everyone's move be choppy or does this technique not interfere with the game at all? Like if the host doesn't upload fast then the game definitely will be unplayable.

I'm not putting your technique down. Not at all. I'm just curious since it seems to work so well.

Have a good one!

i can see your point mate, and in effect your almost right apart from what i found for my connection was if i slow my connection down to much it didnt aid me at all.. i went down as low as 200 kbps upload and i could'nt find a game.. plus the search was going up over 100 which i really didnt want..

in slowing my upload connection im actually pretty much on par with the rest of the uk.. if everybody checked there broadband speeds on there PS3 they would be luck to get over 800 kbps upload...?

basically what i have tried to do is give myself a uk average connection...!!! in having BT INFINITY i have a very fast connection which made me host all the time and dissadvantaged me everytime.. realistically i shouldnt be glitching or doing the fast/slow movement because i have traffic shaping enabled with a limited bandwidth but still sufficiant enough to play MW3 on.. using a wired connection if setup correctly with ports forwarded & open you will get the best connection available.. but if your connection is above the average in that specific lobby when your playing you will get the brunt of the LAG and may even host..

All im doing is giving a valid answer in avoiding the original LAG i encountered when i originally had my fast broadband setup.. this will work i Garrentee if done correctly because your making your connection simular to everybody else's in the correct way of using your router to do it... wireless is NOT the answer if your ping is quick..

(a little story)

When i 1st got my BT INFINITY i basically played MW2,B/OPS & MW3 .. all of which were basically LAGGY & nowhere near the experience i had when my internet was slower (especially MW2 from what i could remember) .. i think LAG COMPENSATION has been in all the COD's but because new internet deal's are coming out giving us all faster pings etc.. we are all annoyed with the game thinking its the developers at fault.. try to imagine making a game for many different connection types and different speed types.. how would you try to make that fair..? well i actually thought in getting a faster connection i would Own so i had 1 installed.. well this has only has only hampered my gaming experience if im honest.. put it this way i went round a friends house with my PS3 and basically we played side by side with 2x PS3's & 2x tv's..on a 5 mbps download & 0.7 kbps upload sharing hois connection & guess what ...? i got a MOAB even though i was drinking heavily lol.. that got me thinking the next day... what if i slow my connection down..? so off i went to the shop to buy the new router. .. i only did this because my super fast internet was a hinderence but as im tied into a long contract i had to do something.. the new routers today have so many added features it just takes time to set them up correctly for what you want to do.. i know a little about networking and ip settings so i just fiddled around a bit.. if you have fast internet ping i would do the same if you dont know what else to do and you have the money  anyway it worked for me so im very happy.. my connection is still very quick on wireless but the ethernet ports are now at a slower speed which is ok.. i realise that not every game will be amazing and that i will still experience some LAG but this whole Host issue has gone now and im having a much better experience of MW3.. yea the game has its flaws but its still very good when setup this way..

yours

Lgnd-Shiz

robbies wrote:

Have a good one!

No these are two completely different things. Your managing your bandwidth and only allowing so much bandwidth. A lag switch creates an actual disconnect that completely disrupts all connections to you.

If I only allow 768Kbps upload I am matching, estimate, 50% of others standard download. So I am not creating an advantage over others. Just putting me on the same playing field.

On Friday there was a problem with Infinity for a couple of hours and when it came back my pings had risen to 35ms but with a 40/10Mbit connection still. I was not picked as host once and the game was great then today when my pings fell back down to 15ms then it was laggy as a lag on lag day lagging like the lag daddy.

you need to do the above to have a great experience on MW3 without the bad LAG mate.. honestly it does work..

Lag Compensation is a major factor to fast broadband pings/connections

Host Lag is something that should be avoided at all costs if you like playing MW3

the above is not our fault to become hindered by a game machanic, all we have is a very good connection but the developers have chosen to put this in there game to make things fair, the only problem is it doesnt work properly.. dedicated servers are not an option for this multi million pound developer so we do what we must to play MW3 like everybody else does.. in slowing my connection down im not causing the slower or mid range conection players problems, this just eradicates me from hosting.. if your connectionis fast and you choose not to dumb your connection down then its your decision and you will be hosting with a bad experience.. my connection is now on par with how this game in my opinion was setup for.. like i said im using a wired connection with an open NAT and ports forwarded.. my download sits around 10 meg and my upload sits around 0.800 kbps , this is around the average for the uk so in theory im now an average connection player but with good stats now lol..

just so you know i was playing last night and my connection is still holding out.. it has helped me so i hope this helps everyone else..

Personally i think if everyone just flooded Mr Bowlings Twitter with "Fix PS3 lag comensation #MW3 #PS3" to the point of him getting not much else he might take a brief glance. However i really think the devs dont give a toss, the game is fine for the massive percent of the people that play it and it is only people with decent connections that are getting shafted, i know someone on a standard DSL connection (its not even ADSL2+) with a just under 7Mbit down 800kbps up but he has a fast ping and is host about 75% of the time.

I know someone whos VM connection was faulty the other week and when the engineer fixed it he got the pings down to 11ms, they specificaly asked him to put them to over 20ms just on the strength of this stupid game.

This is f*cking ridiculous. If Robert Bowling doesn't personally address the host framerate drops, I will f*cking kill him.

Yes every one should look at their QOS settings on their router. I did the same thing as Legend did and have seen a great improvment> I made a forum post that contains link to QOS router setting here is the link:

http://www.callofduty.com/thread/200406151?tstart=0

i like the old mw1 host problem. host has advantage. id prefer that over lag comp any day of the week.  but the f-en crybabies that pitched a fit got exactly what they deserve, lag comp.  

now they cry about that. i swear, codoody community players are the biggest bicth whor3s out there.

Bleak5170

Good advice but we've known about this since the first week the game came out. This is about the 400th topic on it, lol.

And just a head's up - you'll still pull host from time to time even with 1.6 up. You might want to throttle it even more.